Driveclub Photos, Photoshop & other Enhancements

• Thread starter G.T.Ace
  • 85 comments
Germany
Bonn
GTAce
Okay guys, I know I'm not in the position to give anyone orders or something, so please read this post first, so you might understand why I created this thread.

In the GT6 photomode forum we mostly mixed edited pictures with normal ones, which is okay in my book, because it was usually very obvious. Now with DRIVECLUB, I find it hard to see a huge difference between original and edited pictures. Since Evolution Studios seems to watch this place and sometimes picks photos for their facebook page, I thought it would be good to seperate the edited pictures, so there won't be any confusion.

Also, Evolution Studios stated, that they might add new filters in the future, based on community suggestions. Maybe this thread will give them ideas. :)

I don't have an edited picture myself yet, but I hope you agree with me and I can't wait too see what you guys can get out of the photomode!

Good initiative. I have no patience for mucking about with editing software myself, but I can appreciate the idea and really like looking at the results.

I pretty much always edit mine - in most cases the originals just fall a little flat in my opinion.

Original

15861059727_a70d1e78a1_c.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited to give more pop!

:)

Last edited:
I haven't tried editing any of my pictures yet, but I honestly can't imagine it being worth it, not for me.

The pictures are simply too compressed, in my opinion.

Hey guys!

I wanted to see what kind of editing potential this game had in terms of Photomode so I asked @Spark_GTP if I could edit one of his shots. I have to say I'm quite impressed by the level of detail in this game. I may pick it up this weekend since it's on sale - this should keep me busy until Project CARS gets released.

Original by @Spark_GTP

Edited

Last edited:
Hi GT, Are you saying normal photos are just a snap shot with out using all the Drive club editing tools, focus speed, aperture shutter, colour modes etc-as by really fine adjusting those I can get pretty much close to an edited version, I think If you capture the right light angle of the camera with DC photo mode in your first shot it can look sharp and edited straight away with just a few light adjustments. Could you clarify what editing is and isn't allowed etc as I have now found out by spending time with each photo on DC I don't need to even sharpen or adjust contrast on pc now and mine look the same now unedited as when I first started with edited ones and even I can't remember which ones I messed about with!. Thanks. 👍
This one is just DC edited pretty much taken as a snap shot with 'last gen' and more light but looks photo real!
DRIVECLUB™_20150116205418.jpg

Original

Edited

If you don't mind a critique I would say if you want to see the shadowy detail on the left side of the car you might have been better taking the photo from the other side. The way the shadows are on that left side in the original it is a little unrealistic to lighten quite as much as you did. Of course that may be what you were aiming for but the effect is just a bit overdone for my taste.

As an aside while photoshop can be great for adding to (and subtracting from) photos my main reason to use it is to adjust colour curves, clean up detail/imperfections and selectively sharpen. With the level of detail in the Driveclub editor I have found no reason to bother with subsequent editing. I'm not saying it's not valid it's just a busman's holiday for me as I spend enough time in Photoshop when working so a bit of light relief in DC is enough for me.

My main desire would be to have cleaner images on the PS4 to start with. Maybe with a proper replay mode Evolution will allow exporting with no compressio. Even a maxed Jpeg would at least be an improvement on the picture capture/share option we have now.

Last edited:
If you don't mind a critique I would say if you want to see the shadowy detail on the left side of the car you might have been better taking the photo from the other side. The way the shadows are on that left side in the original it is a little unrealistic to lighten quite as much as you did. Of course that may be what you were aiming for but the effect is just a bit overdone for my taste.

As an aside while photoshop can be great for adding to (and subtracting from) photos my main reason to use it is to adjust colour curves, clean up detail/imperfections and selectively sharpen. With the level of detail in the Driveclub editor I have found no reason to bother with subsequent editing. I'm not saying it's not valid it's just a busman's holiday for me as I spend enough time in Photoshop when working so a bit of light relief in DC is enough for me.

My main desire would be to have cleaner images on the PS4 to start with. Maybe with a proper replay mode Evolution will allow exporting with no compression. Even a maxed Jpeg would at least be an improvement on the picture capture/share option we have now.

To each his own, I appreciate the critique and understand where your coming from. But I tend to take a more artistic approach to photo editing and mainly create heavier edited artworks in my spare time; examples. Realism has never been a priority of mine, you see I only use Photoshop to let my imagination go wild and push the boundaries of what I can do with it. In general I find that the act of taking the shot a bit of a tedious task probably because I've taken 1000's in GT5/GT6 alone; the editing process on the other hand is what I love to do the most. I'm more into the art of photo manipulation rather than traditional photography itself.

As for this shot, I wanted the strong contrast that the shadows provided but I also wanted to bring out enough detail within the darker areas. This is what I already had planned in mind after taking it, since I always edit my shots because what I see on the TV with my current settings is not what I get when I export it to PC. I did shoot it from the other side too which you mentioned could've been better however it did not give the desired look I wanted - too much midtones & highlights, not enough shadows also no environment reflections which made the car look fairly flat.

The main reason I switched from GT6 to Driveclub, is because it gives me more detail to work with so I can take my editing style to another level. If you don't like it, that's fine because there are still many others who do enjoy my creations. But yes the major downside for photomode in Driveclub is the PS Share compression. Uncompressed images would be a dream to have.

Last edited:
Hi GT, Are you saying normal photos are just a snap shot with out using all the Drive club editing tools, focus speed, aperture shutter, colour modes etc-as by really fine adjusting those I can get pretty much close to an edited version...
I think editing software was meant, not the filters and such - the main photo thread is full of in-game edited shots, as I'm sure you've seen :)

Last edited:
Hi GT, Are you saying normal photos are just a snap shot with out using all the Drive club editing tools, focus speed, aperture shutter, colour modes etc-as by really fine adjusting those I can get pretty much close to an edited version, I think If you capture the right light angle of the camera with DC photo mode in your first shot it can look sharp and edited straight away with just a few light adjustments. Could you clarify what editing is and isn't allowed etc as I have now found out by spending time with each photo on DC I don't need to even sharpen or adjust contrast on pc now and mine look the same now unedited as when I first started with edited ones and even I can't remember which ones I messed about with!. Thanks. 👍
This one is just DC edited pretty much taken as a snap shot with 'last gen' and more light but looks photo real!
View attachment 292251
Only talking about editing software like Photoshop. In-game filters etc. are, well, in-game. :D

Yes. You darn it. How do you put together a shot so perfectly! :cheers:
Well honestly i don't know. People say i just have a good eye for it, but it could also be to do with many other things. One of the main things about me is that i will take loads of pics in a day, but only choose one, maybe two of my favorites at the end of the day to edit. There is allot of crap pictures on my USB. In fact, they probably outnumber my 'good' pics 30 to 1!

That F12 picture is delicious by the way! :drool:

That F12 picture is delicious by the way! :drool:

Thanks man.

And yes, that's what all pros do. Snap away at hundreds, keep changing up every shot. There's bound to be a couple in there that really rank high. Go through them all later and filter them out.

I do that in a way, I just won't take the shot if I don't like what I see on the screen. I swing around the car for ages searching... if nothing happens I move on down the road a little and try again.

Thanks man.

And yes, that's what all pros do. Snap away at hundreds, keep changing up every shot. There's bound to be a couple in there that really rank high. Go through them all later and filter them out.

I do that in a way, I just won't take the shot if I don't like what I see on the screen. I swing around the car for ages searching... if nothing happens I move on down the road a little and try again.
Exactly. Although, i would have to suggest taking the photo, even if it isn't perfect. You know, as long as its not terrible and pointless :P. The reason to do this is because i have had many moments when a picture looks pretty good on the PS4, but then really quite nice on the PC. Granted, it usually turns out the opposite, but still, sometimes it can be worth it! Anyway, keep it up man! :)

Exactly. Although, i would have to suggest taking the photo, even if it isn't perfect. You know, as long as its not terrible and pointless :P. The reason to do this is because i have had many moments when a picture looks pretty good on the PS4, but then really quite nice on the PC. Granted, it usually turns out the opposite, but still, sometimes it can be worth it! Anyway, keep it up man! :)

I just don't want to bother going through and deleting them on the PS4 after. If I'm not happy with a shot on the screen, I don't bother. I use the same screen for both PS4 and PC, so it don't have the different screen settings issue. For me, it's set to gaming colours because I don't have much time for photo work at the moment. So if my shots are a little on the bright side of exposure and contrast, that would be why.

In the real world though, I take everything I see down the lense. Don't have the luxury of setting exactly how the shot looks straight away in the world of real. :dopey:

------------------------------------

I've done a quick tweak to one of my F1 shots tonight...

(EDIT) DRIVECLUB | McLaren F1 LM | Black Hills Race Circuit Scotland
by GTAndy36-, on Flickr

Last edited:
I pretty much always edit mine - in most cases the originals just fall a little flat in my opinion.

Original

15861059727_a70d1e78a1_c.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited to give more pop!

:)

Great shot Nate - out of interest, how much tweaking was involved here?

Back