Driveclub

• Thread starter Waheed
  • 9,286 comments
I'm not overly excited for the game to release but I'll definitely be putting some time in with the PS+ version. If I enjoy it then I'll be purchasing the physical version. The game I'm most looking forward to this year (racing wise) is Project CARS. I just wish we'd get a definitive answer for the Limited Edition situation in the US. Ah well, Destiny releases in a few days, that'll definitely hold me over until CARS releases.

There's a lot to be said for enjoying a blast in a game which is responsive to your inputs but gives you slightly too much grip. Forza Horizon and many Codemasters games did that and were still enjoyable to play with a wheel, because you still can go faster using proper sim driving techniques.

UCcb.gif

Free PS Plus version:

10 cars (2 hot hatches, 2 sports, 2 super, 2 performance, 2 hyper)
11 tracks (1 location)

Last edited:
PS-Plus version isn't far off a demo then.
Did anyone actually expect the PS Plus version to be more than 25% of the game?

It's a first-party full priced game, giving away too much would destroy the sales.

I wasn't interested in the PS Plus version since the announcment, I'll be picking up the full game day one.

Driveclub looks stunning!

The fact that DC doesn't have any body customzations other than pre-set liveries is what's also killing the interest many has for the game (except for the Sony fanboys). :\

Erm, where did you get this info from? AFAIK DC has a proper livery editor - that's kinda the entire focus of the game, build your club, create a livery for it and share it with the other 5 members, it wouldnt make much sense if there was a limited amount of pre-set liveries. I could even understand some concern regarding that since they really havent talked about it (or show it), but the livery editor on Motorstorm Apocalypse was quite dense, I dont see a reason to expect a downgrade from that or a limited amount of pre-set liveries unless they have said so, which so far I have not see any info pointing that.

I think it's to do with the tracks imo they look like they are setup for the casual crowd rather than any serious racer, I keep seeing this game compared to PGR but that game had tremendous tracks/circuits this game seems to suffer greatly for being point to point rather than circuits.

I dont get it. Because they are point-to-point, rather than circuits, they are more casual? P2P is inherently worse than circuits in terms of depth? This is not even considering that the game actually has 2 road circuit (+2 reverse variations) and 1 race track with 3 variations per location. So actually 60% of its unique tracks are circuits, while just 40% of them are point-to-point courses, which can be just as well designed (64%/36% if you include all variations).

That's kinda the point. It's a bigger "demo" that you can either upgrade with a discount or play with your friends that have the full game regardless.

Srsly guys, you wanna dislike the game, at least do some homework before. This game has been getting serious flack simply due to ignorance of its features.

Demos usually have one or maybe two tracks and a car or two, so still quite a bit more than a demo with ten cars, (EDIT) eleven tracks and no features locked like you get in demos.
...Could have been denser. Bitmap-like tree shadows anyone? :)
Not all trees have the same leaf cluster growth patterns - that looks like a Spider Tree shadow. They apparently mapped a million trees for the Canadian routes, so I think it'll be grand.

Last edited:
I suppose the game's worth a shot even for seasoned simmers. Just for the cars and locations.

Im buying it because I want to support this type of racing game so they'll make more. It seems every arcade racer nowadays is a Ridge Racer clone - you dont turn through corners you slide around them for boost.

This has the look and feel of PS1 era Need for Speed so Im throwing my support behind it

Im buying it because I want to support this type of racing game so they'll make more. It seems every arcade racer nowadays is a Ridge Racer clone - you dont turn through corners you slide around them for boost.

This has the look and feel of PS1 era Need for Speed so Im throwing my support behind it

Yeah it certainly looks very interesting, but I don't think the physics are Ridge Racer style. I've had immense fun with the RR games, back when I wasn't so serious about simming.

I think DC's physics are somewhat close to Horizon's, judging from the vids.

Heavy DLC with season pass ensures that the devs will remain working on Driveclub, fixing potential problems, for at least the 6 months after release. In my experience that's never a bad thing.

The scope of the DLC is also very decent, and I do like their choice to make all tracks free, so you are only paying for the cars, liveries and single player race content. Good approach.

The season pass pricing is also fine, nothing wrong with that money for the level of content they are promising. I for one hope they put some more ecclectic cars in the packs, broaden the options a bit more. But I wouldn't say no to every shiny new supercar which turns up on the next year (I really like that about Forza DLC)

38 cars added over 8 months bringing the car count up to 88.

All extra tracks are free though.

I don't like seasonal passes but that's almost three quarters ish of the content shipped already (cars count) which I suppose could be a decent-ish deal.

Back