Driveclub

• Thread starter Waheed
  • 9,286 comments
Yeah it certainly looks very interesting, but I don't think the physics are Ridge Racer style. I've had immense fun with the RR games, back when I wasn't so serious about simming.

I think DC's physics are somewhat close to Horizon's, judging from the vids.

I meant that I like how the physics do not look like Ridge Racer. The physics seem like PS1 era sim-cade Need for Speed

38 cars added over 8 months bringing the car count up to 88.

All extra tracks are free though.

You forgot about the 9 additional cars that will be released for free. That actually brings up the car count up to 97 by the end of June 2015.

:bowdown: I am actually getting excited for this game again.

I've just give in ! I was gonna hold out and try the free version but instead just ordered the special edition.

I think there is a place for this and Projects Cars as both different types of racers.

I meant that I like how the physics do not look like Ridge Racer. The physics seem like PS1 era sim-cade Need for Speed

Ah! The original NFS had excellent physics, and especially engine sounds at the time. Would you believe it: it was considered a sim at the time and did not do a bad job at all at that.

I'm getting pretty hyped for this game now!

Eventhough it'll be heavily DLC based I still feel as though I'll play it even after getting platinum.

How is it possible for them to almost double the car count in 8-9 months? Don't get me wrong those addional tracks and cars are great, but i do wonder what the car creaters at evolution did the past 2 years or so, since they made only 50 cars for #DRIVECLUB.

How is it possible for them to almost double the car count in 8-9 months? Don't get me wrong those addional tracks and cars are great, but i do wonder what the car creaters at evolution did the past 2 years or so, since they made only 50 cars for #DRIVECLUB.
They were probably doing advance work on the DLC as well as working on the game...and now I suppose I've opened the: 'well it should be in the game if it's ready now' can of worms.

Well, it should be in the game if it's ready in my opinion. Just seems a bit daft to kill the car count in favor of faking extended support.

After seeing the Forza car list released I really hope I'm gonna see a GTR mentioned soon.

Well, Paul Rustchynsky did say that there wouldn't be any Japanese cars in DriveClub at launch.

It does create the possibility of that making it into the game as one of the 47 upcoming cars, in addition to maybe Lexus, Honda, Toyota or Subaru to name a few.

Fingers crossed for the LFA, FT-1 and NSX to make it in.

Modeling the hundreds of different trees and plants, and mountains :P

You forgot about the 9 additional cars that will be released for free. That actually brings up the car count up to 97 by the end of June 2015.

:bowdown: I am actually getting excited for this game again.
I must have missed that.
I also missed the fact that liveries are to be paid DLC. Is there no livery editor?

Well, it should be in the game if it's ready in my opinion. Just seems a bit daft to kill the car count in favor of faking extended support.
I think it always was meant to be fifty, at least I seem to remember that figure being bandied about for a long, long time now, or so it seems.

They possibly worked on aspects of the DLC but not the meat and spuds of it - but that's just a guess on my part though.

I think it always was meant to be fifty, at least I seem to remember that figure being bandied about for a long, long time now, or so it seems.

They possibly worked on aspects of the DLC but not the meat and spuds of it - but that's just a guess on my part though.
Maybe the DLC budget was included separately by Sony then? Since they got the money they figured they might as well work on it early, that makes sense.

Having been involved with Project Cars for as long as I have now, I know better than ever that it doesn't exactly work that way.

The model itself may be done, and the developers may even go so far as to display it in a trailer where it mentions the content will come two or three months down the line, but there are a multitude of factors that prevent the content - even if it's simply one car - from being release alongside everything else the day the game releases:

- Physics calculations. The last thing you'd want is the car to hit, say, a rumble strip, or in the case of Driveclub, relatively high curbing and launch itself into the air because the tick rate was off by 50Hz.
- Texture pop-in. How awkward would it be for you to be barreling down a straight and while panning around your car in chase cam the tires continuously pop in and out of frame because the LOD hasn't been properly tweaked?
- The polygon count could be over its allotted budget and needs to be optimized.
- Meshes may not be complete.
- Etc.

The point being just because it looks ready to go in no way means it is ready to go. :D

Having been involved with Project Cars for as long as I have now, I know better than ever that it doesn't exactly work that way.

The model itself may be done, and the developers may even go so far as to display it in a trailer where it mentions the content will come two or three months down the line, but there are a multitude of factors that prevent the content - even if it's simply one car - from being release alongside everything else the day the game releases:

- Physics calculations. The last thing you'd want is the car to hit, say, a rumble strip, or in the case of Driveclub, relatively high curbing and launch itself into the air because the tick rate was off by 50Hz.
- Texture pop-in. How awkward would it be for you to be barreling down a straight and while panning around your car in chase cam the tires continuously pop in and out of frame because the LOD hasn't been properly tweaked?
- The polygon count could be over its allotted budget and needs to be optimized.
- Etc.

The point being just because it looks ready to go in no way means it is ready to go. :D
Thanks for the insight T-12! It's nice to know that it isn't simply money laundering. :P :lol:

I appreciate the insight however wouldn't those problems come up with every car they create? How did they increase their car output after release so drastically? Could it be, because they finisished the game and know exactly how to tweak the cars for the best performance now? :confused:

Last edited:
1.png

865884265enpsq.jpg

It'll be my fourth game on disc, we have more in digital form at present though. This is why I'm going for the full version (disc space and because I want to play the whole game :))

I appreciate the insight however wouldn't those problems come up with every car they create? How did they increase their car output after release so drastically? Could it be, because they finisished the game and know exactly how to tweak the cars for the best performance now? :confused:

It most certainly would apply to every single piece of content in the game, even down to the UI.

The thing about post-release content is it's usually planned ahead of time, but not in the manner some seem to think - assuming the process for licensing acquisition, modeling, and optimizations, etc are exactly the same (of course they likely aren't, but for the sake of argument) - the game will start with an initial list of content and as that list grows with more license acquisitions, more tracks, more robust multiplayer options, whatever the situation may be, eventually it'll be decided that there isn't going to be enough time and/or manpower to cram everything the developer wants into the package before the deadline (typically the cutoff date before a master copy is to be submitted and discs are printed) so they'll have to make a compromise and focus on what's immediately in front of them. Everything not already in their immediate scheduling plans is placed on the "back burner" until the load lightens up.

Once the core game is essentially finished and all that's required is quality assessment they'll return to the other plans for what's now been designated as DLC, and as you alluded to, yes, once the core game is finished the process speeds up considerably as the baseline is already there.

It's exactly like Dan Greenawalt remarked some time ago about the workflow for Forza Motorsport and all of its DLC - work for the game never ends until everything is out of the door. While I never doubted that assertion, I can tell you from my own personal experience now that it's 100% true.

Again, there are several other factors at play as well but I've gone on long enough already. :lol:

- Etc.

You forgot to mention greed. Something that sums up the makers of Project Cars very well.

Back