Driveclub

• Thread starter Waheed
  • 9,286 comments
After a year of inactivity, I popped up DC couple of weeks ago and finished the Finish Line tour. Finally felt complete, the game still feels good after all the newer racing titles I've played since then.

Missed the weekly/daily time trial challenge by Brend and the few community multiplayer sessions we did back then. Good times!

Getting 100% in Driveclub was so worth it. Felt like the end of an era at the time due to the news regarding Evolution.

Cut to today and I have 98% trophies for their latest title OnRush. Those guys just know how to make games for me. :D

@Maxrevv - It would be great to do another community event but I fear everyone has moved on now.

This game is for me a real jewel in it's final state. Lighting wise, physics wise and content wise. I think if it would've received a PS4 Pro patch and HDR support i still would play it to this day. Still holds his ground in many departments agains the newer competition.

Sometimes I wondered what could've been.

The hope of a sequel dashed by the closing of Evo Studios disappointed the lot of us back then. (the last DLC being called Finish Line did not help)

But finishing that last DLC and played some online, made me realize DC is like an old reliable good friend, yeah you rarely meet each other, but when you do, it's like time never stopped. I agree that a PS4 Pro patch could do wonders. Add in 60fps maybe?

I'd still pop in once in a while, but outside of my current roster of GTS and Overwatch, its not gonna be the main choice as it was back then.

If anyone needs help to get Plat by the way, hit me up on PSN! I had help getting mine, it's not as easy as getting Plat in NFS 2015...

For the Finish Line event with the Regera, there's one race where you have to finish under a certain time and get a certain amount of drift point for one of the stars. Does the points have to be in a single drift, or is it cumulative from all little drifts you do? Because I can't see how you can beat the time while wasting time drifting around every hairpin...

Does the points have to be in a single drift, or is it cumulative from all little drifts you do?

I think it's cummulative, but as you are playing the game: does the game not show you this? Normally either the number rises further when you do the next drift (cummulative) or the number starts new when starting new drift. :) I mean, you can find this out very easy for yourself by just try two times different approach :) - or did i misunderstand you?

...@Maxrevv - It would be great to do another community event but I fear everyone has moved on now.
Another forum is cheerfully doing weeklies right now, started up about three weeks ago and the regular players reappeared, as if by magic. I'd say it's worth it.

I think it's cummulative, but as you are playing the game: does the game not show you this? Normally either the number rises further when you do the next drift (cummulative) or the number starts new when starting new drift. :) I mean, you can find this out very easy for yourself by just try two times different approach :) - or did i misunderstand you?

Actually yes, it's cumulative. The confusion for me was because it's one of the star requirements, but the race itself does NOT have any drift faceoffs, so the only way I can keep track of how many points I have is to see the small counter at the top of the screen. Doing maths, navigating hairpins and trying not to oversteer a 1500hp hypercar is kinda hard :lol: Also the gold time is pretty fast and the only way to catch up is by gripping around the hairpins, but to gain drift points you have to drift...

Anyway, I watched a youtube WR run and just copied where he drifted and where he gripped. Got all 3 stars after 2-3 tries so all good 👍

hardcore mode would almost certainly make the gold time unobtainable, so in that one case, not really an option.
You don't know LeGeNd-1 he's capable of bleedin' ridiculous focus and fast times :) True though, I was suggesting it for the drift part of the event, as I think it is achievable separately - then back to normal handling for the time.

You don't know LeGeNd-1 he's capable of bleedin' ridiculous focus and fast times :) True though, I was suggesting it for the drift part of the event, as I think it is achievable separately - then back to normal handling for the time.

He lives up to his name, then? ;)

Drifting is improved by switching over to hardcore mode @LeGeNd-1 but that brings another frustration with it, stricter penalties.

Yeah you mentioned this a few months back. I did try hardcore mode but as Jawehawk said it makes the other part of the challenge impossible unless you're an alien (which I'm most definitely isn't, at least not for Driveclub :lol:).

I don't know, drifting just doesn't click in this game for me. The half arcade, half sim handling doesn't really help. Currently I'm trying to just smash out all the drift events in DLC tours just so I can breeze through the rest of the race events without ever worrying about drifting ever again.

Alas, I've met another event nemesis: One Man, One Machine in AMG Tour. Watched a few WR runs last night and I'm gonna take another solid crack at it today *fingers crossed*.

In start contrast to that, Driveclub is the first racing game where I actually enjoy drifting. The weight of the cars is just perfect for me in the game.

Do you use a wheel or a pad? I suspect drifting is a lot better with a pad in DC. The physics don't have self aligning torque so if you're used to letting the wheel spin by itself to countersteer in sims, your muscle memory goes out of whack when drifting in DC. That's further complicated by the auto countersteer if you're using Wheel Assist, but it doesn't actually turn the wheel in your hands in the same way :boggled:

Do you use a wheel or a pad? I suspect drifting is a lot better with a pad in DC. The physics don't have self aligning torque so if you're used to letting the wheel spin by itself to countersteer in sims, your muscle memory goes out of whack when drifting in DC. That's further complicated by the auto countersteer if you're using Wheel Assist, but it doesn't actually turn the wheel in your hands in the same way :boggled:

I use a DS4. Sadly don't have my Thrustmaster T500 setup anymore :(

I think the general consensus is that the game is lacking in the wheel department compared to sims.

I use a DS4. Sadly don't have my Thrustmaster T500 setup anymore :(

I think the general consensus is that the game is lacking in the wheel department compared to sims.

Ah that's a shame :( Hope you can get a new wheel setup soon.

Just tried drifting with a pad and it's laughable how easy it is. You just go in at max speed, tap the brake and yank that handbrake. You just modify your entry angle based on how tight the corner is. Don't even need to countersteer. If it's a long corner, a few taps of the throttle will maintain the drift all the way. So much simpler and intuitive than using a wheel lol. I smashed half of the DLC drift events in 1.5 hours. Unfortunately, the input lag still means I'm faster with a wheel during normal races.

I realise DC is an arcade game, but the FFB and driving during normal races is actually pretty good with a wheel. I'm not expecting Gran Turismo or Assetto Corsa levels of feedback and accuracy, but at least it's drivable and quite believable. In some aspects of road feel, it actually puts GT Sport to shame! I usually never use a wheel for arcade racers (because it's generally slower) but with DC I'm willing to make that exception since it's actually enjoyable. Except for drifting :lol:

Ah that's a shame :( Hope you can get a new wheel setup soon.

Just tried drifting with a pad and it's laughable how easy it is. You just go in at max speed, tap the brake and yank that handbrake. You just modify your entry angle based on how tight the corner is. Don't even need to countersteer. If it's a long corner, a few taps of the throttle will maintain the drift all the way. So much simpler and intuitive than using a wheel lol. I smashed half of the DLC drift events in 1.5 hours. Unfortunately, the input lag still means I'm faster with a wheel during normal races.

I realise DC is an arcade game, but the FFB and driving during normal races is actually pretty good with a wheel. I'm not expecting Gran Turismo or Assetto Corsa levels of feedback and accuracy, but at least it's drivable and quite believable. In some aspects of road feel, it actually puts GT Sport to shame! I usually never use a wheel for arcade racers (because it's generally slower) but with DC I'm willing to make that exception since it's actually enjoyable. Except for drifting :lol:

As Driveclub is the only racing game I still play I simply cannot justify the cost of buying a new Thrustmaster and seat again. But I sure miss using a wheel.

I'm glad that you're enjoying playing with a wheel in DC. I think having and using a h shifter is what I miss the most. Shifting with button presses just feel so emotionless.

As Driveclub is the only racing game I still play I simply cannot justify the cost of buying a new Thrustmaster and seat again. But I sure miss using a wheel.

I'm glad that you're enjoying playing with a wheel in DC. I think having and using a h shifter is what I miss the most. Shifting with button presses just feel so emotionless.

Using h-shifter is fun, but most times I only care about driving as fast as possible so I end up always going back to paddles :lol: Also, most games don't accurately simulate clutch (and even if they do, the pedals themselves don't have an actual bite point like the real one), which makes h-shifting half the experience it is in real life. Anyway, I don't have a shifter with my current T-GT setup so even if I want to, I can't row my own gears.

Tried my G25 with DC the other day - I'm surprised the FFB is actually more substantial than the T-GT. It's no simulator FFB, but it's more weighty and resistive. Unfortunately there also seems to be damper effects which makes it hard to seesaw the wheel in quick corrections (which you do a lot in this game). You can't really change individual forces in the settings so I think I'll just go back to the weaker T-GT. I know the T-GT wasn't released yet when DC was out - I wonder if other Thrustmaster wheels have the "proper" FFB and how does it feel?

The FFB in DC is broken for me with the T-GT in "other" mode. There is only centre spring. I remember it was a lot better with the G29 I used to have.

The FFB in DC is broken for me with the T-GT in "other" mode. There is only centre spring. I remember it was a lot better with the G29 I used to have.

Yeah it's definitely not natively supported. I think the only effect missing is damper though, which I absolutely hate in FFB anyway so it's not a big loss and actually better for me than the "actual" FFB with my G25.

Yeah it's definitely not natively supported. I think the only effect missing is damper though, which I absolutely hate in FFB anyway so it's not a big loss and actually better for me than the "actual" FFB with my G25.
I only felt vibrations and no other FFB at all.

Back