driving force pro mod (a reason to buy)

• Thread starter driftou
  • 54 comments
I love gran turismo and have been reading the forum all the time. This is my first post and wanted to display a mod for the new wheel. I hesitated to add a wheel to the gt force because it didnt make sense because it didnt turn 900 degrees. But the driving force pro just needed a new wheel. It felt weird driving my real car all day and then come back home to some toy wheel. So i went to autozone bought a cheap wheel and bolted it on with the controls velcroed to the front. The pictures make it easier to see. I hope this gives some people a reason to get a driving force pro which i think will be really awesome once gt4 comes out. All i can do now is settle for prologue.

Attachments

• full wheel.jpg
    full wheel.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 3,197
That is pretty f'in cool. I wouldn't mind having adding a wheel to my DFP, but can't see spending another 100 dolla for wheel and adapter. I would be slick though.

actually all together the project cost about $65 (adaptor for wheel is included and i had to buy a couple of bolts and plate from home depot). But now that i think about it, that price is on top of the cost of the wheel ($150) so i guess it isnt the most reasonable price to play a game. Oh well, when you are crazy about gt4, the extra work kinda pays off.

I've been running the wheel in 900 degree mode in Toca Race Driver 2 for the PC, and the tape actually helps. It's an old rally trick.

That's the only problem with the DFP, the wheel's radius doesn't work great with 900. But switching out the wheel like that would probably make it awkward for 180...Is there a good way to make a removable attachment wheel? Like, could you cut off the inside of a large wheel, then somehow attach it to the small wheel in a way that it could be easily removed later?

I thought about being able to go back if i didnt like the feel of the new wheel but the only way i could quickly switch is make some kind of adaptor for both. I have to admit the 180 feels a little shortened and the force feedback might be a little weaker just from the weight and diameter of the wheel. The pictures make it look like the shifter is a pain to get to but it actually is just as easy to shift as before. Even with all the trouble, i dont think ill ever switch back. Drifting in live for speed is just a totally new experience that the small wheel cant duplicate.

Originally posted by driftou
I thought about being able to go back if i didnt like the feel of the new wheel but the only way i could quickly switch is make some kind of adaptor for both. I have to admit the 180 feels a little shortened and the force feedback might be a little weaker just from the weight and diameter of the wheel. The pictures make it look like the shifter is a pain to get to but it actually is just as easy to shift as before. Even with all the trouble, i dont think ill ever switch back. Drifting in live for speed is just a totally new experience that the small wheel cant duplicate.

That looks great. Re the force feedback, you will naturally feel less force feedback because you increased the radius of the wheel, never mind the extra weight. That's normal. You do know though that you can set the level of Force Feedback in the game from light to heavy (medium being default)? And have you tried switching between 60% and 100% force feedback?

Anyway, great job. I don't know if I'd use it (I like to shift manual) but it does increase the feel of driving a real car that GT provides so well (ok, minus the ABS that's still there - wish it would become optional!).

Thanks on the wheel. I thought i had been using 100% force feedback the whole time and now it has made a huge difference. Im trying to make some paddle shifters but the sequential still works. The first few pictures just make it look like it hard but it is just as easy as before. I still have the act labs shifter for live for speed.

Attachments

• wheel.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 886
Anyone no when this wheel is released in the uk.
With GT4P Just 2 weeks away, iwant one to go with it.

Hey Driftou how did you do that wheel swap? I have seen wheels on sale but Cant figure out how to adapt it to the hub boss of the unit. The diammeter is too big. What adapter did you use. Thanks for any help.

I found a metal plate and drilled three small holes to attach it to the logitech base. Then drilled the holes to get the hub of the wheel on. Ill take it apart later to give some pics but i cant actually give any exact measurements. I just painted the holes and transferred the holes onto the plate. When it didnt line up, enlarged the hole to make the plate flush. The pictures will help when i get the time to post them

That's a really nice mod driftou, well done m8. I'm now really tempted to get myself one.

Cheers for that video clip Sven, that really shows you how much work is needed playing GT4 with a wheel.

Did anyone notice that on that video there was a clock counting down in the left hand corner, I wonder what that is all about??

Cheers

Jamie

Hmmm i'm intrigued :) this is my 1st post btw......hmmm my dads got a load of old steering wheels about from his racing days....how many hours did that take you? and geez how much did that whole Momo rig cost? :S

FYI here are the costs of some of the Momo setup parts :

Momo wheel (the real racing 260mm wheel) : +/- U$S 180.00
DFP to Momo wheel adapter + buttons + alu paddle shifter : +/- U$S 100.00
Sequential shifter : +/- U$S 100.00

The actual aluminum rig + seat are extras. You can check those prices on Frex´s page : http://www.frex.com/gp

Look for the Pro series items. Then go to the "order" section for prices. Divide Yen prices by 110 to get them in U$S.

I´ve already ordered the round Momo wheel, wheel adapter, and sequential shifter. Here in Argentina I ordered a very nice looking (and cheap - U$S 100.00) racing shell seat. Is is very similar to those on current super touring cars.

Thanks J8mie! On the time issue it took me about four hours but im sure now that i know what to do i would take about half and hour with all the parts. Solscud007, your shift knob looks awesome. I cant believed i havent tried the same thing yet. Its good to see that other people are modding their wheels. Oh yeah i saw this thing on espn? on how racers use video games to improve. I thought that was hilarious. If i had their money i would make the the best simulator ever.

Back