driving force pro mod (a reason to buy)

• Thread starter driftou
  • 54 comments
Can the stick shifter change sides ? I'd prefer it to be on the left side. ( like uk based cars )

Guess I'd need the imported version instead for this ?

No it can not switch sides. Unless you look at it in a mirror. I dotn think the imported version is right hand drive. Not even in Japan and they made the game

Any one want to confirm this?

Originally posted by Solscud007
Any one want to confirm this?

All DFP wheels seen in photos around PD´s headquarters in Tokio have their shifters on the right side.

I guess the only way to change the shifter´s side is by modding the DFP.

Hey driftou, I've been looking for a wheel all over. Kragen, Pepboys, even Super Autobacs. I tried Autozone but the one I went to didnt have them. Can you give me the sku number from kragen? All the ones I have seen are over 100 dollars.

Im sorry i dont know what kragen is but here is how i found the wheel i have. I went to autozone.com did a search for steering wheels and clicked the link in accessories. The wheel is made by pilot motorsports and the part number is SW-802E. I hope this helps. I cant believe they didnt have any at super autobacs. Well probably because their wheels are all big names. If you fidn the wheel you will actually see that it is good quality for the price.

Woooooh, that seat looks great.
Just wondering a few things. Does the sequential shifter shift in a 6-speed pattern???? And do you make use of the clutch now? Is it worth the money? This just looks too awesome
fcg04_400.JPG

Originally posted by chameleon
Woooooh, that seat looks great.
Just wondering a few things. Does the sequential shifter shift in a 6-speed pattern???? And do you make use of the clutch now? Is it worth the money? This just looks too awesome
fcg04_400.JPG

first of all you mixed up apples and oranges. A sequential shifter is jsut that SEQUENTIAL. it goes in a linear path 1,2,3,4,5,6 and in that or reversr order. Frex makes a sequential shifter they also make an "H" gate shifter. Similar to what you have in manual cars. Here you cna skip gears like 1, 3, 5 if you wanted. But think can you do that in Gran Turismo 4? No unless frex did some seriously hardcore re programming.

So to answer your question. Yes it is worth the money if you are hardcore. However it would be a waste to get a clutch and "H" gate shifter since GT4 does not support it. That is why you see a computer key board in the pic. THe Frex system is also for other systems and games. It jsut happens to use the Driving force pro as the steering base.

Originally posted by Solscud007
So to answer your question. Yes it is worth the money if you are hardcore. However it would be a waste to get a clutch and "H" gate shifter since GT4 does not support it. That is why you see a computer key board in the pic. THe Frex system is also for other systems and games. It jsut happens to use the Driving force pro as the steering base.

That is correct. Both the H-gate shifter (up to 8 gears) and clutch pedals are not supported for the PS2 system (only PC).

But you can get a wheel adapter, sequential gear shifter and accel/brake pedal set to use with GT4.

As you say, it is worth the money for any hardcore gamer, or for anyone looking for the prettiest and most mechanically precise controls for their PS2.

I will report to all of you about these Frex items as soon as my order arrives.

Originally posted by Werner Winkels
Hi Driftou

Verry nice Work 👍

:cheers:

@ Solscud007

I have a Servo-controlled H-Shifter that work with GT3 :embarrassed:
new_h-shifter-controller_page.jpg

dude you are too hard core. Could you explain to me how that works in simple words. hehe Im not that techno inclined in terms of terminology. Also what is the CD player/reader looking thing? Did that shifter hook up to the GT Force for GT3? does it work with the Force Pro?

Lamboracer: yes that is an e-brake. those crazy japanese hehe

here is the picture of the plate finally. I hope this gives you a better idea of how to attach a wheel solscud007

Attachments

• wheel hub.JPG
    wheel hub.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 558
the plate i think can be found at home depot. Look in the section with electrical outlet plugs. Im not really sure because it was in a bin with that kind of stuff in my dad's garage.
also notice i coated the connection where the wire and the plug meet so that they wont separate. Since the the control might be disconnected alot, the glue protects the wire from coming out and having to be resoldered again which would be a huge pain

Attachments

• plate.JPG
    plate.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 419
Solscud007
dude you are too hard core. Could you explain to me how that works in simple words. hehe Im not that techno inclined in terms of terminology. Also what is the CD player/reader looking thing? Did that shifter hook up to the GT Force for GT3? does it work with the Force Pro?

Lamboracer: yes that is an e-brake. those crazy japanese hehe

This H-Shifter, works with the Playstation 2 / Gran Turismo 3

( With my modified Logitech GT - Force Wheel )

After a little modification it can work with nearly every Controller.
By the Driving Force pro & GT3 , it can to use without opening the Wheel :)
( It can to work parallel via a modified Controller-Pad )
But not all Games to allow a parallel conected Controller-pad for Gear-Shifting

The CD is only the mounting plate for 5 magnets.
( Reed-Sensors to respond to magnetic field )

The ( Raw ) functionality from the Servocontroller with six fixed positions :

Rotate the control-disk to the left side, the pulses go to the Up-Shift Push-Button circut.

Rotate the control-disk to the right side, the pulses go to the Down-Shift Push-Button circut.

animation-t.gif

More info to this H-Shifter ( And other Wheel Tuning Stuff ) You can find on my Homepage

Laters :cheers:

Did someone ask about a relese date for the DFP wheel in the UK?

- its been out since the end of Feb - in case you were still wondering

Try HMV

With reprogramming, is it possible to get the clutch to work? I assume this would have to be too much work, and it should be done by PD I suppose. Guess we'll have to wait for GT5 for clutch support.
It will get there though, since all these steering modifications are affordable :D
I will wait getting a setup that blows you away, for GT4 I'll be still using only the DFP.
Thanks however peeps, for pointing out Frex.com

TheCracker
Did someone ask about a relese date for the DFP wheel in the UK?

- its been out since the end of Feb - in case you were still wondering

It may have been out since Feb, but NO 'high Street' store stocks 'em (and only 2 online stores, and one of them is Logitech's own).
Even big stores like PC world, Toys R US and Game.

If you think that those mods are good then you are going to love these lol :) , my dad said he was making a driving chair for GT but when I went and looked this is what he had made!!! 👎 👎 👎 👎 :dunce:

front.jpg

side.jpg

back.jpg

Please note the simulated leather seat. :dopey:

This is my first post on this forum, i'm starting a fun little project to mod my existing driving force pro. Im not doing this for functionality mostly purely aesthetic reasons make it look and feel a bit cooler bit like some of the ferrari f1 racing wheels its my first project like this, so it may be a little rough around the edges but hopefully it should go ok.
Attached are 2 pics of my progress right at the beginning i will update back with my progress as it gets closer to being finished.

Attachments

• Photo on 2009-11-07 at 14.51 #2.jpg
    Photo on 2009-11-07 at 14.51 #2.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 335
  • Photo on 2009-11-07 at 14.52.jpg
    Photo on 2009-11-07 at 14.52.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 304

Latest Posts

Back