Driving Force Pro Pedal Problems

• Thread starter Arwin
  • 264 comments
I doubt thats the problem, at least with mine, because I set the pedal position the same as it was before I took it apart. It doesn't make sense for Logitech to distribute a product where excessive pedal travel is causing the pot to come out of its socket. That pot was already loose by the time I opened up my pedals.

I would recommend you wipe all the grease off the pots and around where they sit (if there is any) and then stick the pots down really tight with adhesive putty (like blu-tac, found in stationary stores, supermarkets etc.) and see if that works.

I mean it should work, if your gas is fluctuating it's probably the pot moving all over the place.

To get the pedals back together again just place the pedals face down on a table, then lift the pedal set up (i.e bring the top end of the pedals towards you so the pedals stand in the upright position) and the cover should slide on easily. IF it doesn't , it means the pedals' springs arent sitting properly in their slots.

Well, I think im a Logitech victim now! After less than 2 full days with my wonderful DFP, even with the gas pedal all the way up, GT4 still registers it as half throttle. Makes coasting alot harder, and makes stopping worse too since they are are having to slow a car and the engine. I hope this is a game error and I didnt get screwed after spending $143 :nervous:

Edit: Apparently my GT4 is having issues...my wheel works just fine on GT3 :dunce:

Edit Again: I tried my DFP on Colin McCrae Rally 3. Again, works just fine. On GT4 though is goin all wierd with the gas pedal. WTF?

Any ideas? Im stuck at half throttle even with the pedal fully lifted. Yet if I press it a very slight amount it bring it back down to almost no throttle.

P379XL
Well, I think im a Logitech victim now! After less than 2 full days with my wonderful DFP, even with the gas pedal all the way up, GT4 still registers it as half throttle. Makes coasting alot harder, and makes stopping worse too since they are are having to slow a car and the engine. I hope this is a game error and I didnt get screwed after spending $143 :nervous:

Edit: Apparently my GT4 is having issues...my wheel works just fine on GT3 :dunce:

Edit Again: I tried my DFP on Colin McCrae Rally 3. Again, works just fine. On GT4 though is goin all wierd with the gas pedal. WTF?

That's quite bizarre, it sounds like it's a problem with the game or maybe your PS2's hardware.

The first copy of GT4 I bought was stuffed, it kept freezing all the time, and even the new copy I have now freezes in the menus if I dont keep the disc REALLY clean (probly has something to do with it being DL)

But to have half throttle on your new DFP, I would say something else is up. Most probably your PS2 hardware and not the game.

Oh and please do yourself a favour and play RBR instead of Colin McRae!

Well I opened back up my pedals for the 2nd time tonight. It was alot easier for me to put it back together this time for some reason. Anyway, I tried to secure the gas pedal pot with some scotch tape, but there's so much grease everywhere that its not sticking at all. Not to mention the pot itself and the little groove it fits in is very small and is obstructed by wires. To put things shortly, the pedals worked fine for a couple of hours then started acting up again.

Once again, it was the gas pedal. Even though I put several layers of (cheap) tape over the pot to try to keep it secured down in the groove, it more than likely still came loose. I did a search on this blu-tack stuff and it seems that it is a UK product that is not widely distributed, if at all, over here in the states. I guess my best bet is to try and find some heavy duty tape from Home Depot or the like. At this rate I'll never get my I-A license!

FuryX21
Well I opened back up my pedals for the 2nd time tonight. It was alot easier for me to put it back together this time for some reason. Anyway, I tried to secure the gas pedal pot with some scotch tape, but there's so much grease everywhere that its not sticking at all. Not to mention the pot itself and the little groove it fits in is very small and is obstructed by wires. To put things shortly, the pedals worked fine for a couple of hours then started acting up again.

Once again, it was the gas pedal. Even though I put several layers of (cheap) tape over the pot to try to keep it secured down in the groove, it more than likely still came loose. I did a search on this blu-tack stuff and it seems that it is a UK product that is not widely distributed, if at all, over here in the states. I guess my best bet is to try and find some heavy duty tape from Home Depot or the like. At this rate I'll never get my I-A license!

.....that's why I said wipe all the grease off and use adhesive putty! Hell, tape might even work if you wipe all the grease off. I'm sure the putty is available in all parts of the world, it's the stuff you use to stick posters to walls. Any brand of it will work, you don't specifically need "blu-tac".

Ive noticed a few things also, sideways movent of the pedals (just resting your foot against it) really helps dislodge the pots slightly, also make sure the base is screwed on firm so the lugs in the post stay firmly in the sockets (dont over tighten or you may strip the plastic thread).

I put folded up wadding of paper around the pots so they are secure but the prob came back quickly. I realised the paper was restricting the base from screwing on fully and the pots lugs from seating properly. After taping the wires, putting paper wadding between the pots and firm screwing on base, I havent had a problem since.

If problem comes back I will use blue tac, if that fails I will use putty or some type of adhesive.

yeah, I've noticed that slight sideways motion but it has never dislodged the pots on my pedals. Maybe its cause all the blu-tac thats holding them in...

About the wires, I'm beginning to think there is no problem with the wires at all because I took the blu-tac off mine and they are fine, it seems to just be the pots that touch eachother that is the problem, hence the blu-tac there.

For the ones that called Logitech.. Especially the members from the Benelux.

Did they ask for a receipt and serial number? It's because I lost my receipt..

If they ask for the serial number, where can I find it?

Cheers,

PSZeta.

FuryX21
Even though I put several layers of (cheap) tape over the pot to try to keep it secured down in the groove, it more than likely still came loose. I did a search on this blu-tack stuff and it seems that it is a UK product that is not widely distributed, if at all, over here in the states. I guess my best bet is to try and find some heavy duty tape from Home Depot or the like.

or for a more permanent solution use JB Weld!!! that stuff ils like liquid steel! will never come off then. only thing is if you need to replace a worn out POT you will have an issue getting the old ones out.

GranTuri55
Ive had my wheel 2 weeks and the problem has occurred i am going to get on to Logitech and DEMAND a NEW 1

They will give you a new one, no need to demand but the new one will do the same thing after some time..... most likely.

Yes, ALL DFP's have the same design fault, getting a new one wont solve anything. I've had 3, all the same pedal problem, all easily fixable (although still not good enough of Logitech's part).

just curious, does anybody know if DRIVING FORCE (NON PRO) pedals are available seperately in australia, or anywhere in the world?

my cables and pots are just FUC*ED HARD....
cables ripped out of the pots and cables ripped in half etc....

btw my driving force pro has had the prob several times, i find just taping them down helps....

i dont think they sell them seperately, onlly logitech international have been sending out just pedals as a replacement, buggered if you can find em in aus

Found the same wobbly throttle issue with the original DF wheel pedals today, its been going on a while but I've been ignoring it, as it only seemed to happen it I was driving in shoes. Driving in my socks or putting slight sideways pressure on the throttle, would cause it to go away temporarily. This morning it got so bad that I was practically pushing the throttle as far sideways (towards the right) as forward!! :yuck:
Anyway, opened it up today, its not as cramped or complex as the DFP setup in there, but I added Duck tape to hold all the wires down, removed and cleaned the Molex connectors from each potentiometer and reseated the balls. Removed a lot of grease & carpet fibres from the pedals and put in a strip of Duck tape around where the pedal rotates to stop the springs moving sideways. Also found that where the springs bite into the casing there were little grooves forming. Put a double load of Duck tape over those too. Everything is back together, not such a hard task as has been suggested for the DFP set, and I'm pleased to say that the throttle flicker has gone even when I'm driving in my thick-soled work shoes!

:cheers: to everyone who posted ideas & fixes here, you've been exceptionally helpful! :)

Hi guys, I have had the same problem for a while now, and I just opened my pedal box. My solution involved duct-taping the potentiometer ball ends into the sockets, to remove any play. My theory is that since the pedals are auto-calibrating, if the potentiometer moves around too much there could be spikes in the readings and incorrectly re-calibrate the pedal limits. I left the wires alone, and I assume taping the wires worked for some of you because it indirectly secures the potentiometer end in place.

Performed open pedal surgery on my DFP today!

Basically all i did was put a strip of electric black tape to over lap the metal clips and the things they clip onto, thus to stop them moving! Similar to this. but i didnt tape any wires. (see on the right i used black lines in paint to show how the tape is).

Please forgive me for using and editing a pic that was already posted in this thread.

dsc030192bl.jpg

On the brake pedal therres two springs on the gas pedal theres only one, grab the extra spring from the brake pedal and grab both ends with a wrench and pull...hard - so that it is more respsonsive and realistic - you really have to pull hard though - a vice worked well for me. Hope this helps

Prodriver1

Called Logitech today & they are sending me a new set of pedals because of the brake sticking.
I'll try the repair on the old pedals so I'll have a back up set. 👍

I have developed the dreaded pedal problem. :( The brake comes on slightly when I drive sometimes. Should I send the wheel back, or just repair it myself?

Mikey15
I have developed the dreaded pedal problem. :( The brake comes on slightly when I drive sometimes. Should I send the wheel back, or just repair it myself?

Just give Logitech a call (1 702-269-3457) & they will hook you up, I got my new pedals in less than a week.
All you need is the info on the back of the wheel.

Just to inspire confidence in some of you.

There is possibly an easier way to fix your pedals than you may think.

I use my set on a seat setup that i created myself, and they are fine while i drive, but when someone else uses them without delicate feet, or a driving style thats boisterous shall we say, then i end up with not full braking, not full throttle, slight braking or slight thottle on at all times etc etc.

The quickest and easiest way to clear the pedals is thus:

Firts, unplug the usb from the ps2, then re-insert to recalibrate.
Then if that doesnt work, grip the pedals and slide them a distance of o.oooooo3mm towards each other and away from each other, as that is all they will move!
Then when that hasnt worked, and possibly this is the first thing you should try....
Get a philips or cross headed screwdriver, and tighten all 9 screws on the base of your DFP pedal assembly.

They tend to get loose with use, and then the potentiometers can forget where 0 degrees is.

Just a bad design, and the only downside to owning a DFP really.

I love mine, and after 1 full year of hammering it, and i do mean absolutely hammering it everyday, it still worx fine, having checked the pedals over once and tightened them a few times.

Its really easy to get in there and sort the problems, just do it somewhere where you have a surface to work on, and take your time. simple.

:irked:👍

Ever since I followed this threads advice and "fixed" my pedals, I have the ones that are plastic inside, they worked for 10 minutes then I put them away for the night. Now ever since, they don't work at all. In fact, when I plug them in now, the steering wheel even stops working. I used super glue to glue the plastic balls into their slots, and then taped the wires down. I was amazed how well this fix worked, but now I am at a loss. I tried calling Logitech yesterday before working on the pedals, but they basically told me off. What did I break guys? I am already going through GT4 withdrawls.
Thanks,
Colin

I bought this wheel, and am having the same problem, plus a problem with the wheel itself. I called logitech and they said I need the receipt, so I need someone to REALLY help me out and send me a copy of their receipt through fax or scan. I would greatly appreciate someones help, and am willing to paypal $5-$10 for a receipt, hopefully dated from dec 04 to march 05 I guess.

TheMoose
Just give Logitech a call (1 702-269-3457) & they will hook you up, I got my new pedals in less than a week.
All you need is the info on the back of the wheel.

w that info are they able to tell how long you have had the dfp for? i believe i have bought mine just over a year ago, has anyone had theirs replaced after the warranty date?

Back