Driving Standards - The unforgivable chop when alongside on the straight

• Thread starter T_revisio
  • 47 comments

T_revisio

(Banned)
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Please reply with the 1 driving behaviour that you think is the worst type that you experience from others in the game when racing closely.

My worst one is when drivers think they can intimidate you by driving into your car, when you are alongside them on the straight. It is the worst racing driving crime imo that some people strangely think is ok to do, because in real life it is the one that is most likely to end up with serious injury or death, as the hit car often impacts trackside furniture like marshals posts. Obviously that is not a fear in a game, so I’m wondering if this lack of consequences (beyond a potential online message from the victim complaining) explains why so many “top drivers” employ this most dirty and desperate of tactics?

Generally speaking, any malicious contact is unforgivable. However, sometimes there are exceptions to deliberate contact, such as the tactical & expert use of bump drafting. Lesser "crimes" such as contact from incompetence can be understood, & sometimes forgiven. That said, an unwritten rule from the GT5/6 days of gentlemanly racing was: 'if you can't control your car, then don't bring it to track.' Contact from honest mistakes happens, & is usually solved by a simple apology from the offender. Then there are all the little incidental contacts such as paint swapping & minor bumps/nudges etc that do not result in any advantage/disadvantage, nor do they require any apologies either as they're par for the course. Also, if you lose control of your car right in front of me & it results in contact, I'm gonna assign primary blame for it on you.

Please reply with the 1 driving behaviour that you think is the worst type that you experience from others in the game when racing closely.

My number one would be those who deliberately, & quite maliciously, ram other people off the track.

:mad: 🤬 :banghead:

Last edited:
Turning into people in a straight is unforgivable, but the one that really annoys me is when a driver gives up the fight in a corner, just to punt you soon after.

e.g. approaching the Senna S bend in Interlagos, our dirty driver would give up the fight, stay on the outside just to ram you out in the second “leg” of the corner

Being passed and the player that passes, jumps right in front and slams on the brakes. These ain't F1 brakes!

Please, when passing before a corner, stay in your "lane". This allows the player you're passing, ample time to brake safely and avoid a collision.

I read the first half of this reply & thought you were talking about someone brake-checking you. I had that happen the other night at Big Willow. It earned him a 1 second penalty. But, turning into someone on the straight should be a penalty & it unforgivable.

I read the first half of this reply & thought you were talking about someone brake-checking you. I had that happen the other night at Big Willow. It earned him a 1 second penalty. But, turning into someone on the straight should be a penalty & it unforgivable.
For sure. The turning into me has happened many times. The bumping tap tap tap stuff, I hate. It doesn't intimidate me. It's annoying. It's not Senna & Mansell down the straight.

I mention the sudden braking after an overtake because that is annoying as well. Sometimes it can be forseen, but in the heat of battle and also trying not to lose time, as well as trying to avoid a freight train of cars buying into that overtake, players should know better.

Contact does happen. Races can be ruined, even when taking evasive action, by taking yourself out of the race, rather than collide into the back of the overtaking car.

Being passed and the player that passes, jumps right in front and slams on the brakes. These ain't F1 brakes!

Please, when passing before a corner, stay in your "lane". This allows the player you're passing, ample time to brake safely and avoid a collision.
If they pass you before the braking zone they're entitled to get back on the racing line and brake in the appropriate place, if they choose to. It's up to you to make sure you don't run into the back of them.

If they pass you before the braking zone they're entitled to get back on the racing line and brake in the appropriate place, if they choose to. It's up to you to make sure you don't run into the back of them.
That's not what I'm talking about. It's right at that moment when fighting for position. I'm not blocking. I'm holding my line, as I'm being passed cleanly. Brakes are about to be applied, but the numpties still jump right in front, instead of staying on the inside and holding that line.
That takes away braking distance for me(and others) to enter the corner without contact.

This happened to me endlessly last night online at willow springs. I got shoved off the track from 1st 3 times and ended out 4-6 each time. Most frustrating and totally ********.

That's not what I'm talking about. It's right at that moment when fighting for position. I'm not blocking. I'm holding my line, as I'm being passed cleanly. Brakes are about to be applied, but the numpties still jump right in front, instead of staying on the inside and holding that line.
That takes away braking distance for me(and others) to enter the corner without contact.
If they get in front before the braking zone they don't have to hold the inside line. They're entitled to move to the outside if they wish to open up the corner. It might be annoying for the following driver but it's perfectly legal. If they're far enough ahead that they can place their car in front of yours before the braking zone, you should anticipate that they will and adjust your braking accordingly.

When the person behind just has to have the inside line no matter how small the space is. They will even put two wheels on the grass if they have to. Every time I see someone do this I automatically assume they are very stupid and let them be, because they usually prove me right by completely missing the corner.

Also people who do little to no preparation for a race and are just a moving obstacle. Then they have the audacity to whine about others being not being clean.

Last edited:

Slamming the door in people's faces is a rough tactic but it's perfectly legal.

Any deliberate manipulation of the penalty system for a crappy advantage.

Also the cherry picker racers. Have 1 I see a lot that is fast, but only races if they are top 3 qualifier in the race and close in time to leader. Bails on everything else. They have about a 70pct win rate on races completed, but they so rarely hang on long enough to race that the rate is total BS. They stayed in my race where I had trouble at Willow last night, once the pack caught then they had no race craft, kept bumping everyone aside. At least that is what I saw until I binned it on lap 3:boggled:.

Slamming the door in people's faces is a rough tactic but it's perfectly legal.
Yep, perfectly legal but...
These players have no right to complain when they get hit though.
:)

There's really no need to slam the door like some do, they're almost asking to be punted. If they just hold their line, like @05XR8 is doing on the outside, then their slightly narrower approach to the corner will automatically slow them up on turn in, effectively blocking the outside cars run and both live to race on. 👍

The last bit is not directed at you @kilesa4568 :)

These players have no right to complain when they get hit though.

Yep, perfectly legal but...
:)

There's really no need to slam the door like some do, they're almost asking to be punted. If they just hold their line, like @05XR8 is doing on the outside, then their slightly narrower approach to the corner will automatically slow them up on turn in, effectively blocking the outside cars run and both live to race on. 👍

The last bit is not directed at you @kilesa4568 :)

I don't agree with it either. Just pointing out that it's legal to do.👍

Gotta say I've used it a few times on dodgy drivers though. It scares the crap out of them.:mischievous::D

If they get in front before the braking zone they don't have to hold the inside line. They're entitled to move to the outside if they wish to open up the corner. It might be annoying for the following driver but it's perfectly legal. If they're far enough ahead that they can place their car in front of yours before the braking zone, you should anticipate that they will and adjust your braking accordingly.
Yes, legal, but again, the way the lag/latency is, along with tyre physics, along with the shorter braking distance, players should know enough to leave space. It's not about I should know enough to start slowing down, I mentioned sometimes it can be anticipated. Again, it's about right at that zero moment, battling for position. Not that they cleanly passed and there is time to move over to widen the corner for out-in-out.

Picture a race at Lago Maggiore GP T1. The brake markers are there. Two cars going full speed. First brake maker is coming and NOW the passer moves right onto the racing line, with the second braking marker. Even with a good reaction time, a rear end collision is going to happen.

I'm not talking about the passer makes the move by the finish line and then moves over to the racing line.

Yes, legal, but again, the way the lag/latency is, along with tyre physics, along with the shorter braking distance, players should know enough to leave space. It's not about I should know enough to start slowing down, I mentioned sometimes it can be anticipated. Again, it's about right at that zero moment, battling for position. Not that they cleanly passed and there is time to move over to widen the corner for out-in-out.

Picture a race at Lago Maggiore GP T1. The brake markers are there. Two cars going full speed. First brake maker is coming and NOW the passer moves right onto the racing line, with the second braking marker. Even with a good reaction time, a rear end collision is going to happen.

I'm not talking about the passer makes the move by the finish line and then moves over to the racing line.
Every situation is different and no doubt there is a point that gives the following driver little chance to react. However if the pass is happening down the straight you should anticipate that they'll jump in front of your bumper if they can. You can't blame someone for doing something they're allowed to do. Sometimes we just have to take our medicine and live to fight another day.

Every situation is different and no doubt there is a point that gives the following driver little chance to react. However if the pass is happening down the straight you should anticipate that they'll jump in front of your bumper if they can. You can't blame someone for doing something they're allowed to do. Sometimes we just have to take our medicine and live to fight another day.
You're still not seeing it. As I said, SOMETIMES it can be anticipated. There are multiple instances where there is no sign, no warning the player will jump in front. Especially when there is just too little real estate to pull such a move. Those are the instances I am bringing up. Of course there's nothing I or anyone this has happened to, can do. It still doesn't make it right to do that. That's what this thread is asking. Players that do, should give themselves an uppercut.

If I use the OP's instance, the OP may as well have given that player on the side, more room, because I'm sure they would have anticipated a side bump.

You're still not seeing it. As I said, SOMETIMES it can be anticipated. There are multiple instances where there is no sign, no warning the player will jump in front. Especially when there is just too little real estate to pull such a move. Those are the instances I am bringing up. Of course there's nothing I or anyone this has happened to, can do. It still doesn't make it right to do that. That's what this thread is asking. Players that do, should give themselves an uppercut.

If I use the OP's instance, the OP may as well have given that player on the side, more room, because I'm sure they would have anticipated a side bump.
Expect people to do it. You should be anticipating it already. Give up the corner earlier. If you crash into them you are the villian in this scenario. If they get in front before the braking zone then there's enough room.

OP describes a deliberate attempt to cause a collision. The two are not comparable.
It's a legal move. How can it be "the worst type" of behaviour? You are to blame if there's a collision. You have to develop a plan for such a scenario.

Screenshot_2020-03-01 マジカル9 5.png

Expect people to do it. You should be anticipating it already. Give up the corner earlier. If you crash into them you are the villian in this scenario. If they get in front before the braking zone then there's enough room.

OP describes a deliberate attempt to cause a collision. The two are not comparable.

It's a legal move. How can it be "the worst type" of behaviour? You are to blame if there's a collision. You have to develop a plan for such a scenario.
That's the worse type of behaviour I experience(d). If YOU haven't, you've been blessed.

Overtook this guy in Race A (Tokio) and from that moment he lost the ability of braking... He was driving ok but I was faster and managed to overtake him out of a corner. In the next 4 corners he didn't brake once. After the 4th ramming and me still in front he abandoned the race. Sometimes I wonder what these people play for....

Back