Driving Standards - The unforgivable chop when alongside on the straight

• Thread starter T_revisio
  • 47 comments
Please reply with the 1 driving behaviour that you think is the worst type that you experience from others in the game when racing closely.

My worst one is when drivers think they can intimidate you by driving into your car, when you are alongside them on the straight. It is the worst racing driving crime imo that some people strangely think is ok to do, because in real life it is the one that is most likely to end up with serious injury or death, as the hit car often impacts trackside furniture like marshals posts. Obviously that is not a fear in a game, so I’m wondering if this lack of consequences (beyond a potential online message from the victim complaining) explains why so many “top drivers” employ this most dirty and desperate of tactics?

I read the first half of this reply & thought you were talking about someone brake-checking you. I had that happen the other night at Big Willow. It earned him a 1 second penalty. But, turning into someone on the straight should be a penalty & it unforgivable.

So driving into people on the straights is unforgivable, right?

Here's a little excerpt from this week's FIA Pre-Season race...

Last edited by a moderator:
Those people who decide they want to late brake when following you. And they shove you miles off or spin you into a difficult to recover position, meaning your qualifier meant nothing.

If I mess up fair game, but don't start punting me

Barge passers, late brake, then chuck it up the inside and ride your car around the corner, shoving you out wide.
Or just get their nose on your rear quarter panel at apex by braking less and then pit manuevering you on the throttle while you are trying to recover, now slower, from being put into a drift.
Obviously just pushing right through you and continuing on their merry way.

Being passed and the player that passes, jumps right in front and slams on the brakes. These ain't F1 brakes!

Please, when passing before a corner, stay in your "lane". This allows the player you're passing, ample time to brake safely and avoid a collision.

If they have enough space to brake to get through the corner safely, you have enough space to not rear-end them. It doesnt matter if they are only half an inch in front of you.... There are are only a limited number of outcomes: If you both brake at same time, no problem, the gap between you STAYS at that half inch and no contact. If you brake earlier, the gap between you increases, no contact, and you got that bit of space you want. If he brakes earlier, either he brake-checked you and thats a WHOLE different discussion, or you are braking too late and wouldnt have got through the corner anyway and have now potentially ruined someone elses race in the process.

That's the worse type of behaviour I experience(d). If YOU haven't, you've been blessed.

Brake sooner and you won't experience it again. The people you keep rear-ending deserve better.

I know exactly what you are talking about @05XR8 Its one of my biggest hates, someone goes up the inside barely enough room to pull in front and then slam on the brakes giving you no chance to brake with the sudden loss in down force. I'm guessing @Woodybobs isn't racing at a high enough level for it to be a problem yet as in the lower levels probably less side by side duels which allow this to develop. So maybe having not experienced is why he doesn't understand what your saying I think. I wouldn't do it myself because if nothing else I don't want contact but moving in the braking zone and this problem are not really covered so I wonder how many racers actually realise they are not supposed to do it.

I know exactly what you are talking about @05XR8 Its one of my biggest hates, someone goes up the inside barely enough room to pull in front and then slam on the brakes giving you no chance to brake with the sudden loss in down force. I'm guessing @Woodybobs isn't racing at a high enough level for it to be a problem yet as in the lower levels probably less side by side duels which allow this to develop. So maybe having not experienced is why he doesn't understand what your saying I think. I wouldn't do it myself because if nothing else I don't want contact but moving in the braking zone and this problem are not really covered so I wonder how many racers actually realise they are not supposed to do it.
Exactly. I'll post two different scenarios from two different races I had at Monza tonight. One player passes and stays on the inside into T1 and doesn't move in front of me. The other player passes and moves in front of me, with plenty of time for me to judge braking.

If they have enough space to brake to get through the corner safely, you have enough space to not rear-end them. It doesnt matter if they are only half an inch in front of you.... There are are only a limited number of outcomes: If you both brake at same time, no problem, the gap between you STAYS at that half inch and no contact. If you brake earlier, the gap between you increases, no contact, and you got that bit of space you want. If he brakes earlier, either he brake-checked you and thats a WHOLE different discussion, or you are braking too late and wouldnt have got through the corner anyway and have now potentially ruined someone elses race in the process.
You're not understanding it either. And stop with the ruining races crap. It's my races that have been ruined. It's about the passer jumping in front when there is no need to. Has nothing to do with I need to brake earlier. The player that jumps in front and slams on the brakes, takes that away.

As Smokey understands, there is barely a chance to react to such moves. How many times have I just posted, SOMETIMES it can be avoided? So don't buy into what the poster I ignored is feeding you.

Edit: This is me making a pass on a player I've raced numerous times. I leave plenty of room and the player anticipates a pass. However, I have to stay on the inside as we are well into the braking zone.

Next, is a player I've raced numerous times as well. Leaves a bit of room after passing, but doesn't cross in front of me before or in the braking zone. Players who have sliced in front of me, have done so in the braking zone, with barely a warning.

Last edited:
Mine is probably the fact that some people feel they absolutely HAVE to go for the overtake at every possible corner. The FIA Manu race at Tokyo was a good example of this. There are really only 2 corners to overtake, the hairpin and that right hander before the chicane. Yet, watching the replay people were losing so much time trying to go side by side through the first sector, the race leader got taken out by someone trying to go 2 wide through the chicane, even that little s on the back straight people kept getting squeezed into the wall.

You're dismissing my viewpoint with guesses and probably maybes? I've outlined effective ways to deal with this scenario based on experience. If someone passes me on a straight, and gets a full car length ahead before the braking zone, I anticipate they might cut in front of me to increase the angle of the corner. If I haven't anticipated it I would ask myself what have I been daydreaming about for the last number of seconds. They're a full car length ahead! The overtaking car expects the following car to be aware otherwise they would't do it, as the risk is greater for them if they get rear-ended.
moving in the braking zone and this problem are not really covered so I wonder how many racers actually realise they are not supposed to do it.
If they get in front before the braking zone then it's legal.

You're dismissing my viewpoint with guesses and probably maybes? I've outlined effective ways to deal with this scenario based on experience. If someone passes me on a straight, and gets a full car length ahead before the braking zone, I anticipate they might cut in front of me to increase the angle of the corner. If I haven't anticipated it I would ask myself what have I been daydreaming about for the last number of seconds. They're a full car length ahead! The overtaking car expects the following car to be aware otherwise they would't do it, as the risk is greater for them if they get rear-ended.

I didn't dismiss your viewpoint honestly, but we are not discussing the scenario where a car is so far in front that it can pull back and take the racing line as that is fine. What 05XR8 is talking about is someone swinging back in front leaving no room entering the braking zone which is just not right, you risk your own race and the other drivers doing that which is unnecessary.

I said moving in the braking zone which is not allowed if you read the code of conduct. One move on the straight to defend and no moving in the braking zone!

we are not discussing the scenario where a car is so far in front that it can pull back and take the racing line
Being passed and the player that passes, jumps right in front and slams on the brakes.
If they pass you before the braking zone
We're talking about someone taking the racing line before the braking zone. Either it happens before the braking zone (which is allowed), or it happens in the braking zone (which is not allowed).
I said moving in the braking zone
but moving in the braking zone and this problem are not really covered so I wonder how many racers actually realise they are not supposed to do it.

K man, seriously, they are talking about people moving in the braking zone or the very split second before the braking zone and cutting them off. Obviously in the particular scenarios they are talking about they do not anticipate them cutting back in or they wouldn't be here complaining about it. An overtaking driver should not be cutting back into the racing line that late, if they have the inside they can hold the inside and stop on the apex to complete the over take.

Honestly if I'm doing the overtake it wouldn't even cross my mind to cut back and take the wide line in this scenario, that just seems dangerous and stupid.

It's like in traffic, even if there is a car length or two of space you still don't appreciate someone cutting in front of you then slowing right down, they didn't do anything illegal but they are still a ****head.

Last edited:
Obviously in the particular scenarios they are talking about they do not anticipate them cutting back in or they wouldn't be here complaining about it.
The point is that if they get a full car length ahead then one should anticipate that they'll try to get in front. Letting them go through the apex at a higher speed is beneficial to both parties. If they don't move to the outside you still catch them on the apex. Braking early is a simple solution to the problem.
seems dangerous and stupid.
You're not wrong there.
It's like in traffic, even if there is a car length or two of space you still don't appreciate someone cutting in front of you then slowing right down, they didn't do anything illegal but they are still a ****head.
I don't think it's a fair comparison as I'm not racing in traffic. It's a risky move on a racetrack but I don't have a problem with someone doing it. As with a lot of moves it requires cooperation.

Worst I think is when you cleanly pass someone and they decide to get ultra butthurt and just say "F this... let me let break around a corner and push you wide because my ego was hurt." Less nefarious are people who decide to completely change their braking pattern on a longer race that goes beyond the realm of taking into account tire wear and what not... I mean a full 50m earlier than previously.

In addition to the chop when alongside on the straight, there is also another similar type of unforgivable driving crime. Namely, the intentional block when the car behind has more speed / momentum and is going to make a pass on the straight. Why would any driver think it’s ok to block like this, when the slower car ahead then veers into the path of the faster car approaching to block it overtaking and get a boost. This happens a lot with grid start races like tonight’s FIA nations.

Latest Posts

Back