Driving wheel

• Thread starter BaldurKn
  • 24 comments
GTP_BaldurKn / BaldurKn / BaldurKn-UK
Are you guys using a driving wheel with GT5:P ? If so which one ? Was there any problems getting it up and running with your PS3 ?

Thanks for the info.

Was it just plug and play or some adjustments needed ? Specific USB slot or some tricks like that ?

As GT is aimed for the masses, the less tricks needed, the better :P

So no tricks, it is plug and drive.

There are a few settings like feedback force (from 1 to 10), steering type (amateur, pro and sim), power steering like (on or off) but that's it.

Oh, yeah, there's some kind of "trick" if you use a G25 like me, you must press triangle every time you start a new race to make the pedal clutch work.

I use the G25, and set off the 'power steering' in the steering options, I recommend you do that for DFP also.

I use the G25, and set off the 'power steering' in the steering options, I recommend you do that for DFP also.

use DFP with poer steering off...its the best simulating setup...the DFP works fine for me cause i dont like the g25 gear shifter to mutch..,its to plastic and makes a horrible sound when changing gears quickly!!as i drive manual cars every day this doesnt feal real to me at all...the steering of the DFP and its simple but effective gearchanging system gives me enough feal and adrenaline for now....will wait for a better wheel to come out with a more realistic(tougher and more resistant)gear changer....:)

I have a DFP that I got about a year before GT4 was released. It works wonderful in GT5P. (Also, I just tried using a controller the other day and it was horrific)

I have a DFP that I got about a year before GT4 was released. It works wonderful in GT5P. (Also, I just tried using a controller the other day and it was horrific)

Once you've used the wheel, you can't go back.

I can't believe how many people still use the Dual Shock. If only they knew what they were missing.

I have both G25 and DFP, even if the G25 didn't even have a gated shifter at all the G25 is well worth it for me (paid the same for the G25 as I did the DFP).

I have both G25 and DFP, even if the G25 didn't even have a gated shifter at all the G25 is well worth it for me (paid the same for the G25 as I did the DFP).

Totally agree.

I only use the gated shifter in the single player mode for a bit of fun. Wouldn't use it online unless every other player had a G25 and you had to use the gated shifter.

The G25 wheel is significantly better than the DFP and the pedals are 1000% better than the DFP flimsy plastic rubbish.

I like the gated shifter, any car in GT5P that is a manual I use it.

Hi,
My name is Yossi and although I didn't comment much in GTPlanet I do follow it very much, especially since GT5P been released in Japan.
I do not own yet GT5P nor PS3, I do plan to buy both when GT5P will be released in Europe.
Anyway, I have a question for the the DFP/G25 owners. I own the DFP and playing it GT4 as well as GPL on the PC. Now, on the PC there is an option to decrease the amount of degrees from lock to lock to anything you like between 0 to 900. On the PC I play with about 300 which is very convenient when you need fast turn-by-turn driving.
I wonder if there is an option to change this also in GT5P ? Or you can only work with 900? What about G25?

Hi,
My name is Yossi and although I didn't comment much in GTPlanet I do follow it very much, especially since GT5P been released in Japan.
I do not own yet GT5P nor PS3, I do plan to buy both when GT5P will be released in Europe.
Anyway, I have a question for the the DFP/G25 owners. I own the DFP and playing it GT4 as well as GPL on the PC. Now, on the PC there is an option to decrease the amount of degrees from lock to lock to anything you like between 0 to 900. On the PC I play with about 300 which is very convenient when you need fast turn-by-turn driving.
I wonder if there is an option to change this also in GT5P ? Or you can only work with 900? What about G25?

The adjustments you make are done at a software level. Game developers would have to include an option to adjust the amount of lock for a particular game (an unlikey prospect for a console game).

The G25 can only be operated in 900 degrees with PS3 games. The Driving Force Pro however does have an ability to lock the wheel to 180 degrees (usually to make it compatible with older PS2 games).

Generally speaking if a game is developed with the 900 degrees of lock in mind then the results should be spot-on (eg GT5 Prologue). However this is not always the case.

For example, Sega Rally Revo locks the Driving Force Pro to 180 degrees - and works exceptionally well with that style of fast paced arcade game. The G25 however (which is also officially supported by Sega Rally Revo) is appalling compared to the DFP because you are simply unable to wind enough lock on and off, quick enough to change direction easily. I really wish Sega Rally Revo had some sort of steering lock adjustment for the G25.

I've made an adapter to allow the DFP wheel to be used with the G25 pedals - but changing wheels between games is not an ideal solution.

MGR
The G25 can only be operated in 900 degrees with PS3 games. The Driving Force Pro however does have an ability to lock the wheel to 180 degrees (usually to make it compatible with older PS2 games).
Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think you can manually lock the DFP into 200 degree mode. The DFP does that automatic in games that don't support 900 degree mode.

I hope my english is good enough to understand

It's one of the to-do things for GT5. 180° for formulas and 900° for road cars, exactly like in real life. It was very annoying experience to hunt Group B Peugeot 205 GTI Turbo 16 Evolution on the Chamonix winter rally track on DFP/G25 in GT4 and know that real life driver had easier control than me.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think you can manually lock the DFP into 200 degree mode. The DFP does that automatic in games that don't support 900 degree mode.

I hope my english is good enough to understand

Yes you can, press Select + R3 + Right paddle to manully switch between 900 and 200 degree modes.

MGR
The G25 can only be operated in 900 degrees with PS3 games.

IIRC, Need for Speed Prostreet for PS3 has less than 900º of rotation with the G25, 250º or so, but I might be wrong, I don't have the game anymore.

I am using a G25 with GT5 prologue and i can tell you that i wish sometimes the lock was more like 300 degrees on some cars.
I drove a few of the cars on a race track,including a 430 and you never have so much lock in real life.
Hope they do make it adjustable in gt5

I have a thrustmaster Ferrari GT for my pc and have tried to use it in game.. it works, the d-pad,wheel,pedals and buttons up until the race and then its gamepad only.. Is this just me doing something wrong or is it not 100% supported.. Probably would be ok if i had my old logitech lol :)

I am using a G25 with GT5 prologue and i can tell you that i wish sometimes the lock was more like 300 degrees on some cars.
I drove a few of the cars on a race track,including a 430 and you never have so much lock in real life.
Hope they do make it adjustable in gt5

No real life road legal passanger cars (even super cars) have a lock-to-lock of 300 steering degree.

Even a F430 GT race car have more than 300 lock-to-lock.

I know,what i mean is that you never use as much as you use in the game like in the suzuka hairpin for exemple.
Still i agree that it's very close to reality for most of the cars.

I don't have to use all that much lock (G25) to navigate corners, maybe you are trying to take them too fast and understeering?

Back