Driving with no assists

• Thread starter MARK WALL
  • 53 comments
I use a T500 RS and always drive cockpit view with no HUD and without brake markers or pylons.
Except for longer races with tire wear and fuel usage, then I have to see the FMD menu and the state of the tires.
Such a shame I get to see all the extra info on screen as well.

These are the settings I use:
ABS default.
TC 0.
CSA strong (only for RWD cars).

Not too long ago I raced without CSA but with TC 1 or 2 for Gr3 rwd cars. CSA definitely makes it a lot easier.
It's about time I turn this assist all the way down and properly learn how to feather the throttle.

FYI: my DR is B, the bar to A is about 85-90% filled so slowly getting there.

I drive with all aids off except abs at default.
I just like the challenge and feel like if a car has traction control in real life, then PD probably just models that in to the way the car handles by default and any more tcs on top of that becomes unrealistic to me.

G29 here, only ABS on default, everything else off (Only used CSA with gr. 3 cars a few times on tracks I’m not confident enough) and manual transmission obviously for those sweet short shifts

Edit: I can also recall seeing aliens using ASM on gr.4 FF cars, and it reduces understeer by a lot.

The only ones I use is TCS no higher than a 2 for most cars that are FR or MR, no TCS for 4WD or FF cars, and only cone markers for driving line assists. Everything else is off.

I use only ABS really. I don't really mind what other people use and I always say you should just use what works for you and gives you the most entertainment out of the game. That is the purpose after all, am I right? To have fun :)

Modern GT3/GT4/LMP cars mostly use ABS and TCS and are designed around it, so I've never understand the "purist" view that you're not a proper simracer if you use TCS. The reason I don't go for it is that I do like having to rely on myself to tame the power of those cars. Also, the TCS system in GTS is inferior to the TCS in real life cars, and does limit you a bit. It is the general consensus that if you get used to driving without it, you will be faster, and in my case I believe it's correct, although I haven't do any real testing on it. Regardless, faster or slower, I'd always opt for just ABS and nothing else, because it's the most fun IMO :)

The only things I have on are ASM (but am currently learning to drive with if off) and ABS. I use DS4 controller

I'm often in the the Top 10 times board and I use no aids except the ABS. I use ABS only since GT5 Prologue.

I drive with all aids off except abs at default.
I just like the challenge and feel like if a car has traction control in real life, then PD probably just models that in to the way the car handles by default and any more tcs on top of that becomes unrealistic to me.
Exactly, what would Nigel Mansell think about people using these assists in an f’ing game? Whatever I do in life, be it online racing, career decisions, dating, parenting, I ponder...what would Mansell think?

I usually use ABS 1 and on small HP cars TCS and everything else off. If the car is a huge tire burner I will put TCS on 1 maybe two depending on how crappy the car is. Most high power race cars in real life have traction control, so I do not think that is too bad. Heck F1 cars learn the track and you don't even shift them anyway. As far as AT/MT. GTS is a little different. I used to use AT for golds mainly because it is one less thing to think about and you could hold down a button to keep it from shifting. GTS does not have that option to my knowledge. If I want a good experience, like running the races like the non-sport races I usually use MT. Only time I ever use ASM is on those stupid cars that should be left in arcade type need for speed games. They don't exist in real life, that's why it's a GAME not a simulator. Leave those things to nintendo. my two cents. But, to each their own.

Ultimately it's up to you to decide what makes you faster and cleaner. There are lots of high-level players using aids, but the best of the best typically use none. The goal is usually to ween yourself off the aids as it will add to the immersion of the racing experience as well as improve your times once you get the hang of it. When I was a DS4 user, I could never get below TCS2 without having consistency issues and occasionally spinning out.

Now that I use a wheel, I still usually use TCS2 in Sport Mode for stability and peace of mind, but I'm slowly getting used to TCS0 by practicing in open lobbies and time trials. Right now if I don't want to crash, I'm about 1-2 seconds slower with TCS0. If I try to push harder and match my times with TCS2, I often lose control. I use no other aids besides TCS and ABS default, and as others have stated, if the car is FF or 4WD, there's no need for TCS, but it still helps to feather the throttle/wheel and try not to let TCS engage much. In fact, even when using TCS2 on FR/MR cars, you can get in the habit of watching the throttle meter and learning when TCS is engaging and trying to limit it to the point where you're not really using it even if it's on. Eventually you should be able to turn it off. I find that Gr.4 cars are the best for learning TCS0, enough power but not too much.

For reference, I'm an A/S driver who uses auto-transmission and I regularly finish ahead of people who use no aids whatsoever. However, my plan is to eventually stop using TCS all together...just know that it hasn't stopped me from winning plenty of races and being faster than a majority of folks who play the game, assists or not.

I use any assist that keeps me from running into you, and helps me keep it between the lines. I adjust the TCS accordingly just enough to be competitive for my level. TCS0 doesn't fit my driving style yet, :scared: but maybe one day :D. So definitely use what feels good for you.

I use only ABS really. I don't really mind what other people use and I always say you should just use what works for you and gives you the most entertainment out of the game. That is the purpose after all, am I right? To have fun :)

Modern GT3/GT4/LMP cars mostly use ABS and TCS and are designed around it, so I've never understand the "purist" view that you're not a proper simracer if you use TCS. The reason I don't go for it is that I do like having to rely on myself to tame the power of those cars. Also, the TCS system in GTS is inferior to the TCS in real life cars, and does limit you a bit. It is the general consensus that if you get used to driving without it, you will be faster, and in my case I believe it's correct, although I haven't do any real testing on it. Regardless, faster or slower, I'd always opt for just ABS and nothing else, because it's the most fun IMO :)

Small correction: LMP (and GTE) cars don't use nor do their respective regulations allow ABS, only TC. Also, you'll DEFINITELY be faster w/o TCS once you enhance your skill.

I use the driving line and I like it very much. I don't know if the cone markers are on or off, since I don't pay attention to them. I think off?
As for the driving assists, ABS 1 and everything else off. Like others, TCS 1 for some faster RWD cars and sometimes 2 for some crazy cars, never gone higher than that.
Personally I don't see why one would need ABS set to higher than 1, since it's perfect at 1. Locks up under some ridiculous circumstances, like when you spin out and slam the brakes, but works wonderfully every other time.

Small correction: LMP (and GTE) cars don't use nor do their respective regulations allow ABS, only TC. Also, you'll DEFINITELY be faster w/o TCS once you enhance your skill.

Ah, the more you know. Thanks for the correction :)

ABS: default
ASM: off
TCS: off most of the time.. sometimes 2
CSA: off
Cones: on (when the lobby allows)
Autodrive: off
Line: off
View: cockpit
HUD: off
Anything else: off

Last edited:
TCS: 1-2
ABS default
CSA on

I do use cone markers and driving lines in case I have a brain fart and forget my braking points

i usually use the markers on a track when im trying to learn it. after that, off. abs on old cars is off. since it did not wasnt avail(sorry mods) at the time. again most race cars or newer cars have abs. i just turn it to 1. only time i use asm or tcs is for a wondercar that doesnt really exist in real life. video game

edit?? i used to work for gm. a lot of 'concept' cars dont even have motors in them. its not a simulator. its a game

Last edited:
I usually race with tc off however the Gr2 nsx is just too aggressive to manage out of slow corners. Tc set at 1 it's still too easy too spin. Tc set at 2 you can feel the time being lost when the tc cuts...

Are the other gr2 cars equally aggressive?

i use the ds4. my g27 got stolen a few years back. only gr2 i got is that calsonic datsun. errr nissan or whetever they call it now. same pile of crap. the blue and white car 89 i think. maybe it is an infinity. lol

Back