Driving with no assists

• Thread starter MARK WALL
  • 53 comments
England
England
Hi all,

So i'm new here(well posting anyway) and i'm wondering what assists if any do you use? Im curious as to wether the faster drivers amongst you use AMS ,TCS.

Apologies in advance if this has been covered in previous threads!!

Mark.

It depends. If it's 4WD and FF, I have 0 assists save for ABS Default. If it's any other car I turn on CSA, but that's mainly just because I want every bit of speed I can in Sport mode. I don't turn it on out of Sport mode

Only abs, no driving line or cones either.

For many of us, since day one its always been this.

If you have a very high powered RWD car like a McLaren VGT then you can use some TCS - if you're just trying to bash out some missions or track experience for the gold then turn everything on. eg. the infamous GT6 gold license at Ascari in the Veyron then turn all the stuff on because who cares how you get the gold, as long as you get the gold.

If I'm just enjoying myself then yeah its just ABS... like one of my favourite cars is the N500/600 Mazda Atenza Grp3 road car and if I'm just messing around and not trying to do any goals except to come first then its just ABS as I like to enjoy the no assist no TCS feel of the chassis.

I'm one of those types not to turn on driving line and apex cones and "BRAKE" markers as I think they are nonsense.

I think most people come to the consensus that TCS1 isnt much of an assist at all... TCS2-3 is where it gets intrusive or helps you to a degree.

I do find that when I was doing the track experience ABS STM/DSC on and TCS1 seemed to make things easier.

I used to drive with ABS and TCS, but since GTS I forced myself to learn how to drive without TCS, only with standing start races and GR3 and high powered RWD cars I turn TCS on, at least for the start. Since my favourite brand is Ferrari, during races I set TCS to 1 because the car is very nervous and throw it's tail out on corner exits if you're not careful and during races I sometimes are, well, less careful on corner exit when defending or attacking position :-)

As for driving aids like race line or break point markers, I turned them all off, since they will learn you the track in a wrong way!

ABS only usually. I'm not sure theres a huge difference between weak/strong but I've not experimented with it much. I only use TCS 1 or 2 and/or CSA rarely now. I feel turning them on takes some of the enjoyment out of the game but each to their own.

Only some TCS, depending on cars and races. No ABS, I enjoy the need to be carefull with the break pedal and modulate the pressure :D
But I far from being a fast driver though :)

Hi all,

So i'm new here(well posting anyway) and i'm wondering what assists if any do you use? Im curious as to wether the faster drivers amongst you use AMS ,TCS.

Apologies in advance if this has been covered in previous threads!!

Mark.

The information you seek can be found by going to the qualifying rankings section on which ever track you are interested in racing or bettering your time and selecting top ten stars.

This will bring up the best times of the day in your region and allow you to view or download the replay of that lap time.

Once you've done this you can select the cog wheel along the bottom which is "replay options" and go to "display race info" and select "display all".

This will give you a view of the assists that are being used.

There are many different possibilities to choose but I would try as many combinations as you can thoroughly to get as quick a time as you can and as comfortably as you can.

Some find it easier using the DS4 controller, some with a wheel and pedals setup.

Some will work for you, others won't.

Over time you'll discover which tracks suit your style and which tracks don't.

The more you practice, the better you'll get.

DS4 user here, i used to run with ABS and TCS 2/3, then after watching how 50% of the field also used CSA i enabled that as well, but unlike TCS i don't really think it is needed. IMHO it makes it to easy, but when the game doesn't care then neither do i.

I always have ABS on default. And I have traction control off by default on front or all wheel drive vehicles. At first I did use traction control on some rear drive cars but now I forgo it most of the time. I used to use cone markers but now I don't. And I've never used countersteer assist.

I didn't even know stability control existed in this game.

Default ABS for all cars I drive.
TCS on 3 for anything above Gr.4 cars and some more powerful street cars such as the Veyron and LaFerrari.

The rest is turned off

Last edited:
Usually, I run with TCS off, unless the car has it in real life. And then in those cases I put it on 1.
ABS I have set on weak and all the other assists I leave off.

I'll use cone markers when I first start out at a track to get an idea for the braking points and apexes, but after I get comfortable, I turn them off.

I got my license like decades ago on a manual rwd carburettor car with no aircon or electric windows and no assists of course.

I then graduated to japanese rwd imports and V8 american engined rwd cars... always with manual... including the likes of the Nissan Skyline GTR and the JZA80 Supra.

So for people like us, we've grown up with rwd no assists manual... in GTS if we get oversteer etc we know how to counter it.

I would counter by saying that TC1 STM on isnt a terrible drive in GTS either... they did it well to keep the drive enjoyable.

I still think they need to fix ABS so we can go with ABS0 - in Forza you can easily have it off, in GT its pretty damn hard.

I drive with no assists, only set TC to 1 along with ABS to default when I drive a stupidly quick car like the Tomahawk X, or just use TC1 when I'm on worn tyres and need to limp back to the pits.
Also using the cone markers, since I don't know my racing lines that well, but I don't really stick with them that much lol

I only have ABS on TCS i tries as much as i can without but some cars its to hart.

Iam not faster without tcs but i like to fight with car a bit.

ABS is very very useful; Countersteer and Traction (but not traction for 4WD or FF) are useful; everything else is not needed.

When I was using a ds4 I had
Abs: low
TC: from 2 to 4 depending on the car
CSA: low
ASM: off
It's been two weeks now that I bought a g29 wheel and I turned everything off except abs.
But I'm still struggling a lot and I almost always spin the car although I feel it's getting better.
But sometimes it really frustrates me so I'm thinking to turn back on tc but no more than 1 or 2 and CSA.
Are you guys who said that are using TC on low and csa have a wheel or a ds4?

I use auto drive!

I drive with a DS4

AT (I'm lazy and already hurt my fingers playing gts too much)
ABS (not sure what it's on, the default I guess)
TCS 2 unless it's a rally car, then 1 or none.
CSA low, not really needed yet helps a bit when getting punted from behind

I should start using manual transmission as I'm always the one with the least fuel left in the pit. However I usually play without sound and never look at the instruments while racing.

ASM: Don't use it but never actually tried it. I don't recall any aliens using it.
ABS: I leave it at default and I'm all but certain all the aliens do the same. At the start, I set it to weak believing it was the same as ABS 1 in GT6 but had too many lockups. I did do a no-ABS series in GT6 but that needed the brake balance controller to make it work.
CSA: The all-controversial one. I don't feel it is used that much in the higher levels but that could be more of an unwritten rule of sorts. I don't use it although it's possible it would aid me in being more consistent with exits. It may be an advantage but mainly for those that already have the skill level to drive fast without it.
TCS: Rarely see it used by aliens unless it's something like a Gr.3 MR race car with tire wear. In theory, one doesn't really need it with proper throttle management but this game makes that more difficult than it should be. I leave this off.

With DS4
TCS : 2
ABS : Default
Everything else off.

With Wheel
ABS : Default
Everything else off.

The wheel has taken a bit getting used to but now faster than with the DS4. It took a while from spinning at least once every lap to spinning once in 10-15 laps. Right off the bat when I got the wheel I decided no assists except ABS. I found that was the best way for me to learn. Now I'm trying manual transmission.

DS4 user here on manual gears. I'm a notorious "all assists off but ABS". There's events every now and then where I could do significantly better with some aid, but it's some kind of sporty ambition :lol: that makes me leave them off.

Last edited:
Back