Driving your real car after driving in GT5.

• Thread starter Jaywalker
  • 58 comments

Jaywalker

(Banned)
Rhinoafrica
I get really frustrated with other people on the road after racing on GT5. :ouch: I find that I tend to drive in a more aggressive fashion & with more speed. Anyone else experience this? :lol:

Jaywalker
I get really frustrated with other people on the road after racing on GT5. :ouch: I find that I tend to drive in a more aggressive fashion & with more speed. Anyone else experience this? :lol:

No I don't.

Be careful you don't kill yourself.
Or worse anyone else.

You need a reality check LOL, serious though sit back and look at what your doing.

Last edited:

:tdown:No dumbass. Leave racing on the track..........you''ll end up hurting someone otherwise. Chances are you are no where near as good as you think you are......

Reality check, if you bump someone in real life while trying to go around a corner, you'll probably end up losing more then a few seconds of your life.

I don't think the OP means that he breaks the law or races people on the street.

I've found that playing GT makes me look for the apex on SOME corners. I have also discovered that you don't need to brake for other corners. I am ALWAYS within the law though.

I don't think i'm more of a frustrated driver though, i am anyway, sometimes. So many idiots out there.

SPEED THRILLS!
SPEED KILLS!
(Then your body gets chilled.)

Nope, in the same way that playing GTA IV doesn't provide a sudden urge to steal cars and shoot random people or playing LittleBigPlanet doesn't make me want to jump on every round object I see.
There's a clear boundary between real life and its virtual replication which shouldn't be blurred.

After writing a bit of a rant I thought I'd give you the benefit of the doubt and presume all this is within the law. I guess what your saying is similar to driving home from the Kart track, there's all sorts of adrenaline and endorphins wizzing round your body and that makes you a bit more agressive in your driving style.
I'd say that's happened to quite a few people, even driving afer an argument would probably have the same effect, it's just a case of making sure there's a bit of time to chill out before getting in the car.

That aside, there's still plenty of plonkers on the road though, having been taught how to drive properly on and off track (by RoSPA and Jonny Mowlem) I notice them more, can't do anything about that though so I just make sure I'm safe and let them get on with it.

I don't think the OP means that he breaks the law or races people on the street.

I've found that playing GT makes me look for the apex on SOME corners. I have also discovered that you don't need to brake for other corners. I am ALWAYS within the law though.

I don't think i'm more of a frustrated driver though, i am anyway, sometimes. So many idiots out there.

SPEED THRILLS!
SPEED KILLS!

^This^ Thank you

After writing a bit of a rant I thought I'd give you the benefit of the doubt and presume all this is within the law. I guess what your saying is similar to driving home from the Kart track, there's all sorts of adrenaline and endorphins wizzing round your body and that makes you a bit more agressive in your driving style.
I'd say that's happened to quite a few people, even driving afer an argument would probably have the same effect, it's just a case of making sure there's a bit of time to chill out before getting in the car.

That aside, there's still plenty of plonkers on the road though, having been taught how to drive properly on and off track (by RoSPA and Jonny Mowlem) I notice them more, can't do anything about that though so I just make sure I'm safe and let them get on with it.

^And this^ Thank you too...

P.S. I have diven competitively on the track. Quite a bit.

Same here, I now find myself looking for the best line through turns and trying to smoothly accelerate out of the exits when the opportunity presents itself, but I never drive like a maniac.

SPEED THRILLS!
SPEED KILLS!

"speed doesnt kill, its suddenly becoming stationary that does it"
Jeremy Clarkson
and also
01large.jpg

I find that racing GT5, combined with the Kart Racing and Endurance Racing I do, successfully quenches my need to drive aggressively. Before I got into racing, I would drive like a dick on the streets. Now, I'm MUCH more cautious than before. Mostly because of how vulnerable I feel in a car without a full roll-cage.

So to answer your question, no. In fact, it has the opposite effect for me.

SPEED THRILLS!
SPEED KILLS!

I have never met anyone, even the most pokey, careful old woman, who could actually claim to be ALWAYS within the law on the road.

In the manual for my wheel, it actually says as a disclaimer "do not attempt to drive a car immedately after using this wheel." LOL

speed doesnt kill, crashing into a wall at 100+mph and going through the windscreen does

I find that racing GT5, combined with the Kart Racing and Endurance Racing I do, successfully quenches my need to drive aggressively. Before I got into racing, I would drive like a dick on the streets. Now, I'm MUCH more cautious than before. Mostly because of how vulnerable I feel in a car without a full roll-cage.

So to answer your question, no. In fact, it has the opposite effect for me.

Same with me doing motorcycle races. I got trained to driving at high speeds, braking late and entering corners with high speed, so my reactions are somehow faster than before. While street driving everything looks like in "slow motion". So much time to react properly. In fact on the streets i enjoy travelling with ease.

Wow, such ignorance in this thread. Truely astounding. I believe that what the TS is getting at is after a long run of racing in GT5, say a marathon of laps at Nurb for instance, then having to (within minutes mind you) get into your real life car and drive, there's a tendency to drive as aggressively as you would in the game. I know for one that I'm a lead-foot when this happens. I do find myself looking for ways to cut corners to carry more speed through them. I still am following all the applicable laws, just very close to breaking them is all. Now, on the other hand, after a day of not touching GT5 I get into my real world car and drive, I'm much more apt to drive "normally", that is easier on the throttle, taking turns the every-day way and so on.
Long story short, I side with the TS on this and have experienced it myself.

Wow, such ignorance in this thread. Truely astounding. I believe that what the TS is getting at is after a long run of racing in GT5, say a marathon of laps at Nurb for instance, then having to (within minutes mind you) get into your real life car and drive, there's a tendency to drive as aggressively as you would in the game. I know for one that I'm a lead-foot when this happens. I do find myself looking for ways to cut corners to carry more speed through them. I still am following all the applicable laws, just very close to breaking them is all. Now, on the other hand, after a day of not touching GT5 I get into my real world car and drive, I'm much more apt to drive "normally", that is easier on the throttle, taking turns the every-day way and so on.

This is pretty much what I was getting at. Thank you.

So it's ignorant to express not having this tendency after playing GT5 or when the urge does occur to use the grey matter located between the ears for reasoning why you probably shouldn't?
I honestly don't feel this urge when stepping into a car, even within minutes of playing GT5, part of it might be that I got it 'out of my system' because I just redlined, powerslided and generally abused and drove in a way I wouldn't even consider doing in real life but mostly it's due to making a clear conscious distinction between driving a real moving metal machine through real traffic instead of sitting on a couch staring at a screen providing input.
Not saying I'm always a saint in traffic (meaning I've had a few speeding tickets in the past, never for reckless driving though) but that has nothing to do with playing GT5 but all to do with the traffic circumstances 'persuading' me to drive slightly faster than allowed.
Allowing a videogame to influence real life behaviour is a choice, just like going faster than the speed limit is, although for me these 2 are strictly separated.
Most of these tickets were 'collected' by me before playing my first GT-game anyway.

Back