///DR's Gran Turismo Cockpit DIY (Updated 8/17/10)\\\

Are you using the Fanatic wheel yet, or are you waiting till the build is finished?
I'm tossing up this wheel and the G25.
On looks this is my choice, but looks aren't everything.

Are you using the Fanatic wheel yet, or are you waiting till the build is finished?
I'm tossing up this wheel and the G25.
On looks this is my choice, but looks aren't everything.

The Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo S hasn't been released yet. I will receive mine in the mail between June/July. However, I will be using a G25 to mock up (wheel tray angle, seat height, etc...).

UPDATE: Attached are the better diagrams I promised (and a better picture of the seat, and the cat that wouldn't get out of it :ouch:). Still a bit crude, but more or less accurate. The dotted area in the side view shows where the console will be (built off of the front section) to house the H-Gate shifter. The dotted line in the front view shows width possibilities. Either, wider on one side to incorporate the console, or wider on both sides for balance (and maybe room for a cup holder :sly:).

;)

Attachments

• DSC01955.jpg
    DSC01955.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 124
  • DSC01954.jpg
    DSC01954.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC01953.jpg
    DSC01953.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC01949.jpg
    DSC01949.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 84
all this looks pretty clean, specially the racing seat, really nice. im looking forward to see when all this will be finished.

Ive seen your planning to do the ebrake mod too, my word on that, go for it all the way, really is worth the work involved. I like the idea of putting a cup holder console too, always have a little beer not too far :sly:

all this looks pretty clean, specially the racing seat, really nice. im looking forward to see when all this will be finished.

The racing seat really was a lucky find. I wanted something without a logo, yet real leather, and all black in preferably a "Sparco like" design.

Just happened to stumble across it.

Ive seen your planning to do the ebrake mod too, my word on that, go for it all the way, really is worth the work involved. I like the idea of putting a cup holder console too, always have a little beer not too far :sly:

Well, since I am building a console anyway, it seems like a logical next step. However, in keeping with the Porsche theme (Porsche 911 wheel), I'm using a console from a 911 Carrera (993):

95605021990001-480.jpg

I found it at a local pick apart. All black (not the color in the picture), and good condition. The angle of the console where it meets the dash is exactly what I am using for all other dimensions. Should look the business when it's all said and done.

I'm also looking for a dash out of a 911 (993 especially, as it is my favorite 911 inside and out), but I'm not sure how successful that venture will be, and at what cost.

The build begins tomorrow!

;)

Anyone considering the Frex GP Canopy screen for their custom build?? Seems like a better option than the dated three screen approach. I'm tempted to perhaps try to make it work with the VR3 since I don't like the frex setup. My idea would be to leave the VR3 as-is and build around it something minimal to hold the canopy and the roof kit. Should be able to still keep a clean overall look I hope.

Anyone considering the Frex GP Canopy screen for their custom build?? Seems like a better option than the dated three screen approach. I'm tempted to perhaps try to make it work with the VR3 since I don't like the frex setup. My idea would be to leave the VR3 as-is and build around it something minimal to hold the canopy and the roof kit. Should be able to still keep a clean overall look I hope.

It's a bit pricey isn't it?

I'll be happy with my 3 20" LCD's for now. Yet, I have seen the canopy screen in action, and it does look great.

;)

I think the Frex website lists the canopy screen for $1,100 (US). The roof kit is another $500 which is optional I guess. The real cost is how much you want to spend on a projector. What balances it out I guess would be the single PS3 and the one game vs the 3 that would be needed for a multi-screen setup. I'm just worried about being an early adopter of these things but the video on their site looks awesome.

WAYYYYY too much for my current budget. $1,100 for the screen alone, and that's without anything to project onto it.

Looks the business, but I'll stick with my 3 LCD's. I definitely wouldn't mind upping the size of said LCD's. 3 27" or 32" would be the business.

;)

The racing seat really was a lucky find. I wanted something without a logo, yet real leather, and all black in preferably a "Sparco like" design.

Just happened to stumble across it.

Well, since I am building a console anyway, it seems like a logical next step. However, in keeping with the Porsche theme (Porsche 911 wheel), I'm using a console from a 911 Carrera (993):

95605021990001-480.jpg

I found it at a local pick apart. All black (not the color in the picture), and good condition. The angle of the console where it meets the dash is exactly what I am using for all other dimensions. Should look the business when it's all said and done.

I'm also looking for a dash out of a 911 (993 especially, as it is my favorite 911 inside and out), but I'm not sure how successful that venture will be, and at what cost.

The build begins tomorrow!

;)

damn, sure it will be some great stuff to see, a Porsche thematic cockpit design, im not too much a fan of Porsche but i like that, its a great idea with a lot of potential.

Yeah for sure its gonna be a lot of work building it and find part, but step by step and taking time to do all detail right and its gonna be an awesome cockpit, can't wait to see it 👍

Well, the build has been put on hold until next week (Friend had to take care of his daughter, so he couldn't open the shop).

All the materials have been bought, measurments made, paint sourced.

Just need to get into the shop and start cutting, drilling, and screwing (get your mind out of the gutter, kids).

I sure am aching to get started on this build.

My office chair is really hurting my backside after a 45 minute endurance race.

;)

Just ordered this:

http://www.kregjoint.com/

Also, my folks are retired, and my dad decided to get rid of all his tools. So.....

I picked up a table saw, circular saw, jig saw, 19.2 volt drill with huge drill bit set, 2 industrial strength saw horses, and much much more. This in addition to my huge Mac Tools box (filled with tools) I bought for half off when I was in the Automotive Tech Program.

So, I just need to wait for the Kreg Jig, and then I'm off to the races.

Really looking forward to this build. I was hoping to start last week, but plans change. Seems to be for the best, as now I have everything I need to build it right here at my house.

Stay tuned.

;)

Great purchased, wish i had one of these when i build mine, seems to makes the job a lot easier when you do all work alone. 👍

Great purchased, wish i had one of these when i build mine, seems to makes the job a lot easier when you do all work alone. 👍

I used to own a Kreg Jig a few years back. It really helped a lot in building some furniture for my place. Not sure what happened to it. It must have been lost in the move.

Honestly, after using one, I wouldn't conceive of building this cockpit without it.

;)

Started building the cockpit yesterday. I'll be taking some pictures and posting them up a bit later today or tomorrow.

So far, the build is going very well. After work today I'm hoping to at least finish the seat bases, and move on to the pedal/wheel portion of the build.

BTW, anyone here have the Fanatec Clubsport pedals? I need to know the dimensions so I can work that into my measurements.

;)

Started building the cockpit yesterday. I'll be taking some pictures and posting them up a bit later today or tomorrow.

So far, the build is going very well. After work today I'm hoping to at least finish the seat bases, and move on to the pedal/wheel portion of the build.

BTW, anyone here have the Fanatec Clubsport pedals? I need to know the dimensions so I can work that into my measurements.

;)

Dimensions are on the support page

width: 13.4 inch [340 mm]
depth: 12.6 inch [320 mm]
height: 7.9 inch [200 mm]
weight: ~ 10.8 lbs [~ 4.9 kg]

Think your giving yourself a lot of bother though for next to no benifit/improvement and voiding your warrenty.

Id be carefull when you dismantle too as those little wires could rip from their solder.

Last edited:
Dimensions are on the support page

width: 13.4 inch [340 mm]
depth: 12.6 inch [320 mm]
height: 7.9 inch [200 mm]
weight: ~ 10.8 lbs [~ 4.9 kg]

Think your giving yourself a lot of bother though for next to no benifit/improvement and voiding your warrenty.

Id be carefull when you dismantle too as those little wires could rip from their solder.

Thank you for the measurments. (Totally spaced the Fanatec website as an option)

I understand your concern, but in my experience, it provides much better immersion, and helps me personally, as that is the setup I am most accustomed to.

Furthermore, the CS pedals I will recieve are the redesigned (fixed) version being released with the Turbo S. Thomas has informed me that they are curently working on fixing some of the problems GT3 RS wheel owners have complained about. So, fingers crossed, a lot of the wiring issues should be taken care of. I have also informed him of the desire of a lot of sim gamers to invert the pedals, and that the G25 has allowed this for years, as does CST. I have not recieved a response yet, but hopefully he will take it to heart, and make adjustments here and there to make this easier.

Anyway, I'm not getting the measurements for building the pedal frame (for inverting them). Just as a loose guide so I can cut the final baseboard length, that will be the floor of the front section (wheel/pedal section). I'm just impatient, and I don't want to wait for the pedals to complete my frame. I already need to wait for the shifters to build my console. I don't want anything else holding me up.

Pictures will be up later tonight showing at least the seat base frame, and rough measurements.

Stay tuned!

;)

If my PWTS:CS gets delayed again, so they can alter the design for your hanging pedals, I am gonna kick you in the nuts.
9.gif

If my PWTS:CS gets delayed again, so they can alter the design for your hanging pedals, I am gonna kick you in the nuts.
9.gif

Hahaha.

I don't think that will be necessary. The pedals are already effectively delayed until the release of the Turbo S, so I can't see them delaying again, unless MS decides they want the wheel released on the same day as Forza 3 (sometime in October I believe).

Also, I imagine you want your pedals to work properly. Delays are what make such possible, more often than not. In a perfect world products would work flawlessly out of the box. Unfortunately, this is not usually the case.

;)

Well one good thing about GT5 coming out later than Forza 3 is I get to hear from you folks on whether the Turbo S wheel and CSP are indeed working as they should. I can't help but feel however from Fanatec's posts that the focus of that wheel will be with Forza 3 and not GT5 (or GT5P for that matter). One would think the GT3RS (which I visually prefer) would be updated to work correctly with GT5. If they could fix all the issues with the GT3RS (setting the date back, start up button sequence, etc.) and CSP pedals (lube, wire issues, brake pedal deadzone) and confirm it would work OOB with GT5 I'd still consider buying one.

Well one good thing about GT5 coming out later than Forza 3 is I get to hear from you folks on whether the Turbo S wheel and CSP are indeed working as they should. I can't help but feel however from Fanatec's posts that the focus of that wheel will be with Forza 3 and not GT5 (or GT5P for that matter). One would think the GT3RS (which I visually prefer) would be updated to work correctly with GT5. If they could fix all the issues with the GT3RS (setting the date back, start up button sequence, etc.) and CSP pedals (lube, wire issues, brake pedal deadzone) and confirm it would work OOB with GT5 I'd still consider buying one.

The GT3 RS was never meant to be a PS3 wheel. It's a PC wheel, that happens to work with a few PS3 games. It's no surprise it doesn't work well with GT5:P. The Turbo S wheel on the other hand is made specifically for the PS3/Xbox 360/PC, and all the beta testers I have talked to have said there aren't any problems with the Turbo S, other than a few Xbox 360 games not working (Yes, that's right, Xbox 360, not PS3). MS is working with Fanatec to fix those issues, as I understand it.

;)

The GT3 RS was never meant to be a PS3 wheel. It's a PC wheel, that happens to work with a few PS3 games. It's no surprise it doesn't work well with GT5:P. The Turbo S wheel on the other hand is made specifically for the PS3/Xbox 360/PC, and all the beta testers I have talked to have said there aren't any problems with the Turbo S, other than a few Xbox 360 games not working (Yes, that's right, Xbox 360, not PS3). MS is working with Fanatec to fix those issues, as I understand it.

;)

Yes, hence why I said, "one would think". Since the GT3RS almost works OOB then how tough would it be to bring it 100% OOB support for GT5. Why? Because two options are better than one. Seems a lot of people prefer the GT3RS looks, and I'm in that camp as well.

I do realize the Turbo S wheel covers all the platforms but with it being a launch wheel for Forza I don't think it's going to get a lot of the GT5P focus. Not to mention I feel like I have to pay extra for compatibility that I won't be using. Although you seem to have inside knowledge from "beta testers" that it works fine which is goodness. However, I remember that beta tests had taken place before and it didn't seem to have a significant impact on the final product.

Again, I look forward to your review and the review of others when the actual Turbo S wheel is received. I would like to see everything get resolved so I can at least consider it as an option. More options are always a good thing. 👍

Just ordered this:

http://www.kregjoint.com/

Also, my folks are retired, and my dad decided to get rid of all his tools. So.....

I picked up a table saw, circular saw, jig saw, 19.2 volt drill with huge drill bit set, 2 industrial strength saw horses, and much much more. This in addition to my huge Mac Tools box (filled with tools) I bought for half off when I was in the Automotive Tech Program.

So, I just need to wait for the Kreg Jig, and then I'm off to the races.

Really looking forward to this build. I was hoping to start last week, but plans change. Seems to be for the best, as now I have everything I need to build it right here at my house.

Stay tuned.

;)

That is really cool. But I think its bit expensive for that lil 100 dollar drill template.. but I bet it will save you so much time and sweat!

I can't wait for completed cockpit

That is really cool. But I think its bit expensive for that lil 100 dollar drill template.. but I bet it will save you so much time and sweat!

I can't wait for completed cockpit

Canceled my order. I found it at Sears for $60 on sale, and it's a lot more than just the template.

I have to work an unscheduled audit shift tonight, so I can't post pics until tomorrow. However, I did finish the seat base, and attached the seat. Looks the business so far.

;)

As promised I have updated the first post with a step by step guide to building the seat base (part 1). I built the base wider than many would, only because I will be mounting a center console on one side, so it needs to be wide enough to mount a center console to, and still clear the side bolsters on the seat.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=116737

I will be attaching a Buttkicker mount and skinning/painting the base in part 2.

;)

Last edited:
888 tuning:

That is nice, but it certainly doesn't belong here.

EDIT: The build resumes in a few days. I have some vacation hours saved, so a big check is coming my way. The cockpit will be finished this week!

The only thing I will not be able to build is the center console, because I do not have the shifters to mock up. (unless someone wants to trace the dimensions of the shifter, and where it sits when mounted (top down view)). That sure would speed up my build.

;)

How's the cockpit coming along?

It's on hold until I can purchase some more wood. Also, I had asked for some dimensions in the Fanatec 911 Wheel thread, but to no avail. Without said measurements, I am at a standstill. So, I either need to wait for the wheel to arrive, or someone needs to measure the wheel and pedals for the dimensions I was requesting.

I was hoping to have it done before the wheel arrived, but that looks to be impossible without help from this forum. Unfortunately, I am receiving no help.

Stay tuned.

;)

Great Build So far but as a carpenter I cant believe you paid that much money for a "tool" (and I use the word loosley) to do pocket joints. You can do the same thing with a 6mm sharp chisel and a Battery Drill. But Great build anyway.

Great Build So far but as a carpenter I cant believe you paid that much money for a "tool" (and I use the word loosley) to do pocket joints. You can do the same thing with a 6mm sharp chisel and a Battery Drill. But Great build anyway.

I actually haven't used the Kreg Jig on this build yet (I was impatient). Sure you can make anything if you put your mind to it. However, the Kreg Jig has a lifetime warranty, and I bought it on Sale for $60. For all the things I was able to use it for in the past, $60 is hardly wasted money.

Sorry, for the wait, guys... Money has been tight lately (been helping a friend that was laid off), but I'm hoping to get the rest of the wood within the next few weeks, and proceed to painting (and installing Carbon Fiber pieces(for looks)) shortly after. The aforementioned friend, used to work at a plant that made molds for large scale CF pieces. So, before he was laid off he was able to acquire some scrap bits.

I'm definitely getting ansy to finish this build. However, until I receive my shifters (and pedals) from Fanatec, I can only do so much (since no one will get me any measurements who already have theirs:grumpy:).

I've waited this long to have a custom homemade cockpit, I suppose I can wait a bit longer.

;)

I actually haven't used the Kreg Jig on this build yet (I was impatient). Sure you can make anything if you put your mind to it. However, the Kreg Jig has a lifetime warranty, and I bought it on Sale for $60. For all the things I was able to use it for in the past, $60 is hardly wasted money.

Sorry, for the wait, guys... Money has been tight lately (been helping a friend that was laid off), but I'm hoping to get the rest of the wood within the next few weeks, and proceed to painting (and installing Carbon Fiber pieces(for looks)) shortly after. The aforementioned friend, used to work at a plant that made molds for large scale CF pieces. So, before he was laid off he was able to acquire some scrap bits.

I'm definitely getting ansy to finish this build. However, until I receive my shifters (and pedals) from Fanatec, I can only do so much (since no one will get me any measurements who already have theirs:grumpy:).

I've waited this long to have a custom homemade cockpit, I suppose I can wait a bit longer.

;)

Fanatec can't give you the dimensions you want? I was really hoping to see your cockpit finished by now :dopey:. Anyway been awhile since I have been on the forums - Job Transfer. I moved from Cali to New Mexico and I am all settled in, have my toys reconnected and ready to play again.

I will have to mod my cockpit, I need to raise my wheel a few inches. I want to try the heel/toe method but my knee hits the bottom of the wheel mount when I do it.

Last edited:
Back