Dual Shock 4 On GT6?

• Thread starter Marky264
  • 67 comments
United Kingdom
Surrey, United
Marky264
I read an article a few weeks ago that mentioned that the PS4 Dual Shock 4 Controller could be used on the PlayStation 3 but with Limited Functionality (I'm assuming that's relating to the TouchPad etc)

Has anybody given this a try yet to see how It compares to the DS3? I'm picking My Copy of GT6 Tomorrow from GAME so I'm tempted to Invest in a Blue DS4 whilst I'm there If It's functionality is the same as the Rear Triggers feel alot more nice and smooth for Racing Games...

controller_01.jpg

Looks like all the buttons are there to me.

So it's missing L3 and R3?
Oh dear...
The DS2's and DS3's buttons except for Start, Select, Analog and PS are all pressure sensitive.
Sony removed that from the DS4 because at the end of this console generation, no one used this and it costs Bluetooth bandwidth, which can cause input lag and other things. Games that utilize these buttons like GT5 and 6 don't work with controllers that only have digital front buttons.

EDIT:
I think hes reffering to the buttons opposite the d pad 👍
No, all buttons including the d-pad.

Uhh, what? Those buttons are still there, what does it mean they're analog/not analog?

Oh dear...
The DS2's and DS3's buttons except for Start, Select, Analog and PS are all pressure sensitive.
Sony removed that from the DS4 because at the end of this console generation, no one used this and it costs Bluetooth bandwidth, which can cause input lag and other things. Games that utilize these buttons like GT5 and 6 don't work with controllers that only have digital front buttons.

EDIT:

No, all buttons including the d-pad.

So, they don't depress when you put your thumb on them? Is that what you mean?

Analog aka pressure sensitive??? I see how that may be useful to some that use d-pad and such.

edit: nevermind, slow trigger finger

They're not pressure sensitive anymore.
Example: Accelerating is on X, the harder you press X, the more throttle you give.
On the DS4 it's digital, so you'd always give full throttle when pressing X.

It was more utilized on the PS2 actually and I doubt most people will miss it.
Ace Combat on PS2 used it for the radar, the harder you pressed square, the bigger it got.
MGS2 and I think 3 used it so you could draw your gun without shooting to freeze enemies.
My hands still hurt when I think about that...

It was more utilized on the PS2 actually and I doubt most people will miss it.
Ace Combat on PS2 used it for the radar, the harder you pressed square, the bigger it got.
MGS2 and I think 3 used it so you could draw your gun without shooting to freeze enemies.
My hands still hurt when I think about that...

Yeah, come to think of it, the only buttons that would need to be used like that would be the triggers. So I guess they've done people a favour, then.

I know some guys who still used the d-pad, X and Square, but they're a very small minority.
I use the sticks for everything since GT2, so it won't affect me at all in GT.

So I guess the answer to @Marky264 is if you use the face buttons for acceleration/brake/handbrake then buying a DS4 would be pointless. But if you use the triggers L2/R2 then you should be fine.

Is that a good summation @G.T.Ace ?

No, because GT6 doesn't recognize the DS4 at all.
Technically you would be right, but it simply doesn't work unfortunately.

EDIT: Maybe PD will patch it in the future.

• You can use it to navigate menus fine. But when you go into driving, only 1 button works... Options, which is start.

• You can use it to navigate menus fine. But when you go into driving, only 1 button works... Options, which is start.

Right thanks for confirming. To those saying ds4 lacks pressure sensitive buttons. So what? You use L2 and R2 for brake and acell and the left thumbstick for driving. I use circle for handbrake which is not pressure sensitive even on ds3 as a handbrake. So it doesn't matter.

Sony would sure make more money I know I would buy one. I bought two ds3s just to have fresh controllers for gt6 but ds4 is even better.

Just use the two analog sticks. They are better for modulating the gas and brake. And of course; steering.

This was true from the first GT to GT4, where there were no analogue L2 And R2 triggers. Ever since then if your still using the two thumsticks your doing it wrong.

The reason using the right thumb-stick for acceleration and braking is inferioir to L2 and R2 triggers is that using one thumbstick for accel and braking means you can only either be accellerating or braking at any given time. It also means you have a delay switching between accel and braking

Being able to control accel and braking simultaneously with no delay is far superior.

I still use X and [], too bad :grumpy:, I can't see myself using anything other than L2 & R2 for shifting. I guess I probably should get a wheel for gt7.

Yeah it's a shame, this is also true for GT5 :( I really wish this would come in a patch as the ds4 has such nicer triggers

This was true from the first GT to GT4, where there were no analogue L2 And R2 triggers. Ever since then if your still using the two thumsticks your doing it wrong.

The reason using the right thumb-stick for acceleration and braking is inferioir to L2 and R2 triggers is that using one thumbstick for accel and braking means you can only either be accellerating or braking at any given time. It also means you have a delay switching between accel and braking

Being able to control accel and braking simultaneously with no delay is far superior.
Why would you need to break and accelerate at the same time?

If anything using the sticks would be better because of this...

Back