Dual Shock 4 On GT6?

• Thread starter Marky264
  • 67 comments
This was true from the first GT to GT4, where there were no analogue L2 And R2 triggers. Ever since then if your still using the two thumsticks your doing it wrong.

The reason using the right thumb-stick for acceleration and braking is inferioir to L2 and R2 triggers is that using one thumbstick for accel and braking means you can only either be accellerating or braking at any given time. It also means you have a delay switching between accel and braking

Being able to control accel and braking simultaneously with no delay is far superior.

Not in my case. It works like a charm since the sticks have more travel. I have full control of my brake and gas inputs to the point were I don't even need ABS. No delay that I can think of. L2 and R2 are a terrible choice for gas and brake unless you're playing Grand Theft Auto. Those buttons lack precision.

Why would you need to break and accelerate at the same time?
:confused:

Um, it's called trail braking I think.

I do this constantly.

(ONLY IN game racing. It is obviously SERIOUSLY ILL-ADVISED to do it in a real car commuting in traffic while traveling on public roads!)

Anyhow, I still use the X for throttle (my thumb seems to do best at controlling pressure), the R1 for brake, the left stick for steering and shifting up & down. (Left/right to steer, forward/backward for up/down shifting.)

It's funny how some say I'm doing it wrong when using dual sticks. When I see gold trophies in my events and licenses, it makes me want to laugh :lol:

I do this constantly.

(ONLY IN game racing. It is obviously SERIOUSLY ILL-ADVISED to do it in a real car commuting in traffic while traveling on public roads!)

Anyhow, I still use the X for throttle (my thumb seems to do best at controlling pressure), the R1 for brake, the left stick for steering and shifting up & down. (Left/right to steer, forward/backward for up/down shifting.)

You have the strangest setup, but it proves one thing; at the end it all depends on what you're used to and what works for you. And that's what matters 👍

It's funny how some say I'm doing it wrong when using dual sticks. When I see gold trophies in my events and licenses, it makes me want to laugh :lol:

You have the strangest setup, but it proves one thing; at the end it all depends on what you're used to and what works for you. And that's what matters 👍
SRYSLY? trailbraking reduces snap oversteer upon letting go of the brake... just because you gold a license doesnt mean you are doing it perfectly... there's always room for improvement

Not in my case. It works like a charm since the sticks have more travel. I have full control of my brake and gas inputs to the point were I don't even need ABS. No delay that I can think of. L2 and R2 are a terrible choice for gas and brake unless you're playing Grand Theft Auto. Those buttons lack precision.

Even if we ignore the ability to apply brake whilst having throttle control as others have mentioned, there is a delay from the time it takes you to move the thumbstick up to down and back up again. No matter how fast you are there is a delay where you are wasting milliseconds in the twilight zone.

SRYSLY? trailbraking reduces snap oversteer upon letting go of the brake... just because you gold a license doesnt mean you are doing it perfectly... there's always room for improvement

It's cool, but I find no gain on improving if I'm doing it right already. It's not like I'm being paid for playing the game "perfectly."

I'm not saying that you are, but I really dislike people who like to tell others how to play the game or even some elitists that think people who don't play the game "correctly" shouldn't even play it.

I just gave my opinion on a good button setup that has worked for me for nearly 15 years, and people just do a pathetic attempt on patronizing me, telling me that I'm doing it wrong. Geez, it's just a game :lol:

Even if we ignore the ability to apply brake whilst having throttle control as others have mentioned, there is a delay from the time it takes you to move the thumbstick up to down and back up again. No matter how fast you are there is a delay where you are wasting milliseconds in the twilight zone.

You might be right, but it still doesn't affect my driving at all. Even if it did, I'm not obsessed with those insignificant details. If it works for you, wonderful. I'll keep using the analog sticks and "doing it wrong."

Last edited:

I do this constantly.

Wow watermelon, that's some crazy setup there!
How do you not shift up/down accidentally when steering?

Btw, my setup:

Left stick = steering
R2 = Acceleration
L2 = Brake
X = Upshift
Square = Downshift

R3 = RA menu
D pad = Navigate and change RA menu

Last edited:
It's cool, but I find no gain on improving if I'm doing it right already. It's not like I'm being paid for playing the game "perfectly."

I'm not saying that you are, but I really dislike people who like to tell others how to play the game or even some elitists that think people who don't play the game "correctly" shouldn't even play it.

I just gave my opinion on a good button setup that has worked for me for nearly 15 years, and people just do a pathetic attempt on patronizing me, telling me that I'm doing it wrong. Geez, it's just a game :lol:

You might be right, but it still doesn't affect my driving at all. Even if it did, I'm not obsessed with those insignificant details. If it works for you, wonderful. I'll keep using the analog sticks and "doing it wrong."

It's not playing the game correctly... it's knowing what your car does and reacting to it like in real life...
I'm not judging you, just giving you a tip on how to improve... im not saying remove that button setup but keep an other brake button handy for trailbraking... it could easily reduce a second of your time in certain tracks

I still use X and [], too bad :grumpy:, I can't see myself using anything other than L2 & R2 for shifting. I guess I probably should get a wheel for gt7.
Give the triggers a try. It takes some getting use to but you'll likely end up being faster. I use square for downshift and O for upshift.

A little thing called trail braking.

I guess I misunderstood the meaning of trail breaking when I read it lol... I always assumed when people did it they took there foot off the throttle... I understand it even less though now lol

I do this constantly.

Mine : x for gas and square for brake, R2 for secondary brake ( left foot ), circle for handbrake, left analog for steering, L1/R1 for gear change. There's no need for using right analog or rear shoulder buttons for gas, the X + square works ten times better even with high brake balance and racing brake kit in GT6. Everyone knows how easy to lock up those brakes are :lol: The stick is the secret, don't use the bad boy DS3.

Imagine pressing square for radar in Ace Combat, now imagine pressing close to that pressure for brake and gas in GT6 - braking hard with no ABS or full throttle feels so real :lol:

Last edited:
Trail braking doesn't have anything to do with braking on the throttle. It's braking into a corner slowly releasing the brake as you reach your apex. I brake and throttle with my right foot. Race me then tell me it's wrong or slow.

I guess I misunderstood the meaning of trail breaking when I read it lol... I always assumed when people did it they took there foot off the throttle... I understand it even less though now lol

People often mean braking into a corner when they say "trail braking", that's as a step up from "only brake in a straight line".

I guess the actual intended meaning is "trailing the throttle as you brake". The point being it puts the differential in "accelerate mode", which can be advantageous in terms of stability. You only need a very small amount of throttle "trailing" to achieve that, so retardation isn't affected much.

I don't generally do it myself, since a lack of ABS generally means you can't brake as deep anyway (I don't like the feel of GT's ABS), but it does come in handy. I use a wheel and right foot brake, so I'd "trail" with my "heel" mostly anyway.

Still, I do miss those analogue face buttons on the DS2. I guess nobody knew what to do with them, and what seemed like cost-cutting on the DS3 ruined their sensitivity, so I guess now they've gone for good.

People often mean braking into a corner when they say "trail braking", that's as a step up from "only brake in a straight line".

I guess the actual intended meaning is "trailing the throttle as you brake". The point being it puts the differential in "accelerate mode", which can be advantageous in terms of stability. You only need a very small amount of throttle "trailing" to achieve that, so retardation isn't affected much.

I don't generally do it myself, since a lack of ABS generally means you can't brake as deep anyway (I don't like the feel of GT's ABS), but it does come in handy. I use a wheel and right foot brake, so I'd "trail" with my "heel" mostly anyway.

Still, I do miss those analogue face buttons on the DS2. I guess nobody knew what to do with them, and what seemed like cost-cutting on the DS3 ruined their sensitivity, so I guess now they've gone for good.
Cheers for clearing it up for me :P

I tend to break to the apex as best as I can(except when using the delta) and if I need any less throttle I just ease off it rather than breaking (with the throttle applied)

Trail braking doesn't have anything to do with braking on the throttle. It's braking into a corner slowly releasing the brake as you reach your apex. I brake and throttle with my right foot. Race me then tell me it's wrong or slow.

So, there's an argument about the definition of "trail braking"?
I said I think it's called trail braking - because when I tell people that I brake at the same time as throttle, people have referred to that as trail braking.
Bragging on a discussion hinging on a semantics issue ? :confused:
Really Downstyle? REALLY??:boggled:
Nobody was saying anyone was "doing it wrong". :rolleyes:
Does that mean you are saying, Downstyle, that nobody should need to brake & throttle at the same time? Because that's what we're talking about! Try & keep up! :lol:

Yes, it's the only way I can do it. So that's why it works for me.
But unlike others here :odd: who seem to more interested in tooting their own skills at the video game (:sly:) - I'm not claiming that I'm any fantastic driver in GT6, so I'm not trying to say my way is "the right way" or that anyone else is doing it "wrong", I'm saying it's the way it works for me.

The fact is it's either that way - or I'M on Automatic. I only started playing (CONSOLE) video games at around middle age (about 4 years ago maybe?)... so I'm not altogether comfortable with a gaming controller like many folks here, who've been playing games since they were 10 or younger, when it's much easier to get comfortable & learn stuff like that.
To be adding more buttons to work with more fingers to shift, is more than I could do and still enjoy myself! :lol: It would be far too clumsy. And I'm already clumsy (and I have some physiological problems that also work into the situation).
This way, I have only 3 appendages to worry about for 5 tasks - throttle, brake, e-brake, steering, shifting. And I can toot my horn or flash my lights with the L1 & L2 buttons using my free left index finger. :)

EDIT: I added "console" video games, to specify. I've been playing video games for years. Mostly PC thought-type games though. I also had an Atari 2600 in the early 80s - but it just had a single stick controller - kind of looked like a cat scratching post. Totally different animal. I've played video games over the years here & there once in awhile at someone's house... but didn't play a console game on anything like a regular basis until my husband got me into it in maybe 2010, and I started playing Burnout, and then later GT4.

Oh, and to "LOOK" left, right, and rear...
I use the flat directional pad (what's that called?), and also the right stick.
With the option of either... I'm still limited. I can't LOOK if I'm on the throttle, shifting, & steering all at the same time. I can only LOOK, if I'm either not on the throttle OR not steering or shifting.
So I can only use it on straights (left directional pad), or entering a turn where I'm off the throttle, already shifted, and not yet ready to throttle out (right stick).
Luckily, those are the only times I feel I "have time" to be "looking" around anyway. ha ha Also the most important times to look around too. So it works okay.

Also, I don't know how to drive a shifter car in real life. At all. So there's that.

Wow watermelon, that's some crazy setup there!
How do you not shift up/down accidentally when steering?

1) You can shift up or down in the middle of a steer. The up/down works at the same time as left/right. In other words, you don't have to go to the center to shift, you just push back or forward while the stick is to the left or right. It works fine, and it's actually quite natural. There's not really a limitation here, if you know what I mean.

2) I do sometimes shift by accident when steering - if I'm distracted in the middle of crashing or something like that. Or if the cat jumps on my lap & bumps my hand. :lol: This is not a problem I run into very often, so the risk seems worth it.

3) It helps that I have an easy relaxed grip on the controller, so I can be gentle & thoughtful with the input. Like I said unless I'm crashing or distracted or bumped (in real life), I'm not leaning on sticks/buttons as a general rule.
I don't put anything mapped on the press-down for the left stick. Just in case I put too much pressure downward.

I would not recommend my way if you're like my spouse (who is older than me), who holds the controller as if someone is grasping to pry it out of his grip. :lol: :lol: If you're in the habit of holding a death grip on the controller, I could see where putting extra inputs into the same stick might run into problems. :lol:

I don't know for sure the correct and universal definition of trail braking.
But if you take off the throttle to brake... I think that would be just simply called "braking".

Last edited:
So, there's an argument about the definition of "trail braking"?
I said I think it's called trail braking - because when I tell people that I brake at the same time as throttle, people have referred to that as trail braking.
Bragging on a discussion hinging on a semantics issue ? :confused:
Really Downstyle? REALLY??:boggled:
Nobody was saying anyone was "doing it wrong". :rolleyes:
Does that mean you are saying, Downstyle, that nobody should need to brake & throttle at the same time? Because that's what we're talking about! Try & keep up! :lol:

I wasn't attacking you for saying you THINK it's called trail braking or bragging about driving skill. I was trying to say what trail braking really is. There was in fact someone saying it is not playing the game correctly if you're not braking with the other foot or finger. That's to whom my comment was addressed. It is SLOWER to drive with one foot or one finger against one who has mastered the left foot braking technique, but not slow or wrong. You can trail brake while on the throttle. That is just applying another technique to trail braking. Just trying to clear up since so many seem to think trail braking is braking on the throttle. There is another term for that technique (which I can't think of atm). Again, watermelon, I wasn't trying to brag or attack anyone. Just attemping to prove a point. Nothing but respect for you.

I am not saying no one should need to brake on the throttle. There are definitey cars that benefit greatly from braking on the throttle (X-Bow for example). Mostly MR cars. Oh and happy new year everyone.

Last edited:
There was in fact someone saying it is not playing the game correctly if you're not braking with the other foot or finger. That's to whom my comment was addressed. It is SLOWER to drive with one foot or one finger against one who has mastered the left foot braking technique, but not slow or wrong. You can trail brake while on the throttle. That is just applying another technique to trail braking. Just trying to clear up since so many seem to think trail braking is braking on the throttle.
I've heard it called "trail braking" OFTEN around here. Actually I'm surprised the original person who I was replying to hadn't heard about it before, either the concept or that term.
I was only able to find a definition for trail braking referring to Motorcycle racing! Not cars at all. :boggled:

I was doing it before I had a name for it, or knew anything actually.

Any rate, I specifically meant that it sounded like you thought someone was accusing you of doing it wrong, but nobody was (that I noticed at least).
Regardless I don't know that there is a wrong.
I mean obviously it's wrong to do it on the public roads (because you shouldn't be on the public roads careening about turns on throttle while braking.)
But in the game, I'm sure there's someone out there who uses the front/back throttle combo, and never brakes while throttling, that could probably beat me - and I'm supposedly "doing it right".

I mean let's face it here... we're in a thread about using a controller. :lol:

I felt it important to mention for people to try if they haven't before, because as has been said, at times it can be very useful.

I also mention my bizarre controller mapping in hopes that someone sometime who might be looking for a way to shift to manual, like I was, and was at a loss as to how to do it on the controller... might have another way to try.

Whatever way, you have to play the way that's comfortable and works for you. If you're not comfortable, or you're all out of control while trying to force yourself to do something a certain way... that's not going to get you very far. :lol: :scared:

@Marky264
No, because GT6 doesn't recognize the DS4 at all.
Technically you would be right, but it simply doesn't work unfortunately.

EDIT: Maybe PD will patch it in the future.
Nope, it does work for certain things.

The DS4 works perfectly fine to click through menus, but you won't be able to drive cars with it. So although it DOES recognize it, it's pretty much useless.

@Marky264

Nope, it does work for certain things.

The DS4 works perfectly fine to click through menus, but you won't be able to drive cars with it. So although it DOES recognize it, it's pretty much useless.
Last I've read it didn't work at all, but that was pre-1.02 or even 1.01, can't remember.
I don't own a DS4, so I can't test it myself.

DS2 for GT6, the best face buttons for gas and brake, not even DS3 comes close - 3 times more pressure to reach 100% input = accurate brake and gas that beats the rear trigger ( L2/R2 )
How did you get a DS2 to work? I tried with a USB adapter, it seems to work until start driving, then no steering, accel, brake, reverse, even though the text comes on screen?

Trail braking simply refers to carrying the brake past the turn-in point and gradually releasing it up until the apex. It's done to keep the load on the front tyres to help with grip at corner entry phase, and reducing the severity of the weight shift as you come off the brakes. Also you're carrying more speed towards the apex because you can get on the brakes later and you're braking right 'til the apex. If you straight line brake on the other hand and try to carry that kind of speed in, as you lift off the brakes to turn in, the weight comes off the front tyres and you might find yourself with understeer. Instead you'd have to get your braking done earlier in a straight line to bring your speed down to where you can turn in without understeering horribly, and then you turn in and you're coasting to the apex.

If you're carrying a small throttle percentage for whatever purpose while you're trailing the brakes, that's another matter.

I do this constantly.

It's not really that great a drama. I trail brake all the time on the roads, just coz... I dunno, I do. I mean, it's not like I'm timing myself on the way home from work or anything stupid. :lol:

That said, at no point on public roads do I find myself approaching a corner carrying a stupid amount of speed, intending the hit the brakes as late as possible and carry the brakes right 'til the mid-corner, hopefully using all the available tyre grip without exceeding it. I mean for one, your average right angle corner on public roads and the same corner on a race circuit are two very different things. It's not too often (see: never) I find myself out on the roads, setting myself up on the outside for the optimum racing line through a corner. :lol: And two... well that'd just be stupid.

When I'm carrying the brakes past the turn in... the tyres really couldn't care less. I'm nowhere near even mildly annoying them. Nothing's gonna happen, and really there's no point to it... it's just a habit.

The general principle of doing your braking in a straight line makes some sense in terms of what to teach new drivers. But some people seem to get the idea that it means any brake application with steering will mean instant chaos, which is absurd. But if you're out on public roads, braking for a corner... and braking hard enough that as you try to carry it in past the turn-in your fronts lock (at which point hopefully the car has ABS)... well, there are probably bigger concerns with your approach to driving in public than just the specifics of your braking technique.

Last edited:
How did you get a DS2 to work? I tried with a USB adapter, it seems to work until start driving, then no steering, accel, brake, reverse, even though the text comes on screen?

If it doesn't work, then you need to get a better USB adapter. There are many USB adapter which claims can work, but most of them do not. Mine has a switch for 2 modes, PC and PS3. It has built in hotkey function for XMB access ( PS button emulation ) either by holding Analog button ( turn on/off + system menu ) and Selec + R3 for in game XMB access.

I used the adapter for all of my PS3 games, from digital PSN games to MGS V, Fallout, GT, Battlefield, and they all work fine.

If it doesn't work, then you need to get a better USB adapter. There are many USB adapter which claims can work, but most of them do not. Mine has a switch for 2 modes, PC and PS3. It has built in hotkey function for XMB access ( PS button emulation ) either by holding Analog button ( turn on/off + system menu ) and Selec + R3 for in game XMB access.

I used the adapter for all of my PS3 games, from digital PSN games to MGS V, Fallout, GT, Battlefield, and they all work fine.
Appreciate that, thanks.

A link would be helpful. Did I miss it?

Back