Duke Racing Celica GT-Four Time Attack Racecar

• Thread starter Punknoodle
  • 1,059 comments
IMG_0340.jpg

I picked up the new tires today for my rims, Dunlop Sportmaxx TTs, put one of them up to my old wheel, its fatter and quite a bit taller, so I might be a bit slower haha!

IMG_0336.jpg

IMG_0339.jpg

Mmm gt4.
Got me an ugly 87 celica coupe waiting for a new gas tank and throttle cable. Lol.i know its no comparison lol. But its family...

Top Stuff!

If you're ever after a comparison on tyres, have a chat with the guys at Stylish Wheels at Moss St. Slacks Creek. I refuse to get ripped off by the chain stores now, these guys do me a great deal

For E.G.: Kumho KU36's (semi slick pattern, but a little harder compound than a typical semi to make them more road friendly) I was running on mine (F:245/45r18 R:275/35r18) cost $1k fitted and balanced.

If I see you out at Shannons S&M Show (hehehe) I'll come up and say hello :)

Oh cheers man, I got those from Beurepaires, it was buy 3 get 1 free this month for any Dunlop rubber, so saved heaps. Fitting is included so they will put them on for me once the rims arrive.

Shouldn't be long now till my SSRs land on Aussie soil, received an email today saying they are ready for dispatch as soon as I pay for the postage, which I just did.

On a side note, getting 4 rims and a couple of other bits and pieces from Japan via air freight is ludicrously expensive!

wheel.jpg

Whatcha think? Should get the tires put on in the weekend then ready for test fitment.
After you get the tires on it's too late for a test fitment. :lol:

Try the wheels on by themselves so you can see if they fit. That way you're not surprised that the whole package doesn't work and you have to take the tires off again and you can't return either set because they're been mounted already. Having the wheels bolted up and set down on some wood blocks (you can see how I did it in my thread) will give you a decent idea of what kind of tire fitment you need. You already bought tires, so hopefully it's the right size.

Haha true, although according to my research this size wheel with a 2mm wider offset fits in with no dramas with 225/40s. I have 215/40s so in theory will fit nicely.

No returns on the rims anyway - special order. Sooooo just have to go into it full blast.. May have to raise the coilovers a bit, and roll the rear guard so may try your idea anyway

They don't look bad, good luck keeping them that shiny, although I suppose not living on a dirt road might help.:P

Oh don't worry about that, the brake dust and road grime will make up for it. They will look different when wrapped in rubber and installed with the proper ride height. Then we will see if I got the look right or not haha

Fitted the rims up - epic guard rubbing at the rear - its ok though have a man coming next Thursday to roll the guards. Until then it sits in the Garage, waiting :)

So... heres a quick pic

P1010503.jpg

d088409b.jpg

Really happy with John and the guys at Beurepaires Wynnum, they were extremely careful with the rims, and John even offered me some generic chrome valve caps to replace the SSR ones so that they wouldn't get stolen, which was great I thought.

I have the centre caps on now, but it was too late to get a pic.

Last edited:
A marked improvement that's for sure, look forward to seeing it in person at Lakeside.:D

I think it must be the angle dude, I'm biased but in person I think it looks great!

Anyway there is one more visual change to be done and that is swapping the bumper for a group a model's. If you are unsure of what they look like, here is a pic

st185RC_tim_wilson.jpg

That bumper has more room for a front mount intercooler, and looks a lot better in my opinion 👍

^^ wtf?

@Punknoodle: Those rims look pretty nice. I think they would look extremely badass if they were black tinted chrome.

Zenith013
^^ wtf?

@Punknoodle: Those rims look pretty nice. I think they would look extremely badass if they were black tinted chrome.

They are. The centers are "super black coat" and the lip is polished, so in the right light they have a dark smokey look to them but with sort of direct lighting they look sort of chrome 👍

st185RC_tim_wilson.jpg

That bumper has more room for a front mount intercooler, and looks a lot better in my opinion 👍
I get the functionality of it, and as for looks it does look more aggressive. But your stock bumper is the a more cohesive design and is the nicer looking one. You can go for the rally car look if you want, but rally cars are not pretty.

Hence why I went for SSRs as opposed to rally style wheels. I think in my colour the Group A bumper will suit but I get what you're saying, if I could somehow get a front mount to work with my current bumper I'd consider it..

Surely you can. Something a bit longer and lower might work. Any front mount is going to be more effective than a top mount anyway.

EDIT: Scratch that because it's not always true. Your hood isn't going to help the case of a front mount. Air blowing in the front of the engine bay, plus air getting shoved in the top, means that hot air is having a hard time getting out (one of the reasons top-mounts are lame). If you want a front mount I would suggest getting the vented hood and swap.

Either way, take off your bumper and see how much room is back there!

Problem being is I don't like the vented hood.. Hmmm I'm in no hurry so I have plenty of time to weigh up the options

It's not a race car so it's not make-or-break. I just enjoy sweating the details.

Also lower it.

Haha not every car should be dropped as far as it can possibly go... I like a lowered car as much as the next guy but I also find speed bumps a PITA already...

Besides my coilovers are wound pretty much all the way down already

That looks AMAZING. The wheels suit the colour of the car perfectly. 👍

SSR Professors?.... either ways, NIIIIIICE!!!

Prefer the existing bumper I must say... can the inside be trimmed to allow a bit more fmic space?

Back