Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship 2013 Season Thread

• Thread starter Tom
  • 1,216 comments

Stupid decision. Whatever the reason. The others cars on the grid look no closer to beating it to the title than ever. The MG6 is a monumental flop, the 1-Series is a brand new car and needs time and the Ford Focus is really for me only strong in the Independents category. I wouldn't expect it to run at the top of the field often. The Civic just looks near damn unbeatable at the moment. No sense in ending it.

Team Dynamics need to remember that whilst Pirtek is an Independent Civic ran by an Independent team, who did Pirtek get the Civics from? Nuff said.

Is it me or could you see a CRZ as a good contender? I always thought the TC on GT5 was based on NGTC specs.

I guess if they only fall a little bit short there's nothing wrong with rounding up the numbers. Would be pretty silly to turn down entries..

I guess they bend the rules slightly to allow some manufacturer support. I can't see them doing so again to allow Honda to be any more competitive.

As is the Focus and the 125... It seems a bit odd to set the minimum length at 4.4m and then let 3 cars of 4.3m in. Unless they round it up so 4.3something becomes 4.4m.

They make up for the extra length by having really long bumpers, it's the same for Welch's Proton which isn't wide enough without all the bodywork like those massive wheel arches.

They make up for the extra length by having really long bumpers,
Really?

2012-btcc-civic-at-the-goodwood-festival-of-speed-45967_1.jpg

Euro-2012-Honda-Civic-profile-1024x768.jpg

Look identical to me. I'm still going by the rounding up theory I posted above, or the "not turning down of major manufacturers" theory posted by thecracker.

it's the same for Welch's Proton which isn't wide enough without all the bodywork like those massive wheel arches.
All the cars have to be the same width, so the narrower ones need wider wheelarches to meet the regulations.

Equalised width of 1875mm

I think that it will have to be a CRZ or possibly an Accord... or if they have completely lost the plot an Insight. I think we will see teams going back to the 'coupe' saloons that dominated early S2000, ie the Integra and Astra - I think things like the Passat CC and MG6 are a bit too cumbersome. It does seem a little bit of an overreaction though to getting beaten.

My bet is they promote Tom Ingram from the Ginetta GTs. According to wiki, he's done some races for MG elsewhere as well....

Though it would be nice to see any of Tom Onslow-Cole, Lea Wood, Dave Newsham, Paul O'Neill etc in a top seat. Or even Jack Goff..

I wonder if Lea Wood will be angling for a 2013 Team Dynamics Civic in a similar way to running the old Integra?

Thorney wanted to run an Evoque but Land Rover didn't want them to because of 'brand image', I wonder if that would change if a team that has proven it can make a successful car was knocking on their door?

Well Vauxhall wanted nothing to do with him..and as it turns out, it looks like that was quite wise.

Really?
Look identical to me. I'm still going by the rounding up theory I posted above, or the "not turning down of major manufacturers" theory posted by thecracker.

All the cars have to be the same width, so the narrower ones need wider wheelarches to meet the regulations.

Alan Gow explains this here:
http://www.btcc.net/forum/showthread.php?11551-Minimum-Car-Size

Alan Gow
There has been no special dispensation or change; the regulation has always stated that the cars should be 'a minimum (nominal) overall length of 4.40 metres'.

It has always been stated as a nominal figure to allow for cars that are very close (like the Focus for example, which is only approx 1.5 inches under) without having to resort to the ridiculous and expensive exercise of special models being produced with small additional bumper extensions in order to meet the figure....which happened in the past.

Last edited:
Or long long shot, but Pirtek upgrade to 2013 Civics, and Wood gets a 2012? Austin has committed to next season as has Welch by the way.

How many engine suppliers has Austin been through now? 4 I think?

2011 - Ric Wood
2011-2012 Lehmann
2013 - Field Motorsport
2013 - TOCA/Swindon

How many engine suppliers has Austin been through now? 4 I think?

2011 - Ric Wood
2011-2012 Lehmann
2013 - Field Motorsport
2013 - TOCA/Swindon

It's Welch with the engine change.

EDIT: Rumours flying. Chris James might have the two Civics.....

Last edited:
Furi's Round Up:

Mighty Mini racer Zack Booth tested with Andrew Jordan today.

Chris James is in classic form on facebook ranting about people who bad mouth him. He has two new NGTC cars and they are supposedly good. Incidentally the rant:

Jealousy is such a sad thing. Apparently I'm being insulted on BTCC "fan" pages.....

Funny that these "fans" will still want a photo, free cap & to touch & feel the new cars.

Not worth wasting time letting jealous, nobody's spoil 99% of others positive reaction

We haven't got fans & emails we've had over past two years because we're not loved!

Pipe, and, smoke that, put it in your :P

(Note, this from the driver who has his FB picture of him pulling his jeans out to check the size of his gentlemans areas....)

Martin Depper (ex Forster Motorsport) was testing as one of two new Team HARD drivers.

Back