Dynamic Weather & FIA Races

• Thread starter LeGeNd-1
  • 53 comments
Seriously, another factor towards this will be car choices. I'd gather the Ford GT '18 has better perfomance than the Ford GT Test Car. Let's say the new McLaren 720S GT3 is added as well. Plus, the C8 GTE(or a made up Gr.3 version). This could be a race of MR cars for some of these races. It would still allow players to not feel they are compromising, when they choose Chevy or Ford versus the european MR choices. More evenly matched choices, for some of the fair weather(and high tyre wear) races.

These races will be cool if the multipliers coincide with the time. This way, race conditions are replicated correctly. 60x should give us a 24hour simulation over a 24 minute race.

How dope would that be at warm up and qualifying?

The problem with accelerated weather in GT's shortened FIA races is, your laptime and pitlane time are still in real time. So unless it's raining on lap 1 and staying that way, it will almost always be more advantageous to try and stay on track on whatever tyres you're on (e.g. brave it on slicks, or go with slightly slower inters) than pitting from slicks to wets, and then pitting again for drys when the rain stops.

I still don't think we'll see dynamic wet lines in the rain. The "grip meter" is just a blanket wetness indicator for all areas of the track. Happy to be proven wrong though.

The problem with accelerated weather in GT's shortened FIA races is, your laptime and pitlane time are still in real time. So unless it's raining on lap 1 and staying that way, it will almost always be more advantageous to try and stay on track on whatever tyres you're on (e.g. brave it on slicks, or go with slightly slower inters) than pitting from slicks to wets, and then pitting again for drys when the rain stops.

I still don't think we'll see dynamic wet lines in the rain. The "grip meter" is just a blanket wetness indicator for all areas of the track. Happy to be proven wrong though.
Pretty sure PD will have a level of control over dynamic weather for FIA races, and can determine for a race to start dry and slowly get more rain and remains rainy for the rest of the race.

What would be interesting(ain’t gonna happen) is changing conditions per day, in Free Practice.

Its now we see PD utilising the track data they collected. Again, if the track is wet and a drying line forms, tyre temp will go up and players may search for wet patches to cool the tyres. Switching to slicks might be the go. Plus, PD could mandate tyre compounds. As in RH or IW must be used. A lot can change in the longer 30+ minute races. Even a sunny race that starts high noon, in the middle of August, at Barcelona or Laguna Seca.

Pretty sure PD will have a level of control over dynamic weather for FIA races, and can determine for a race to start dry and slowly get more rain and remains rainy for the rest of the race.
Yes but as I mentioned in the first post, then the problem becomes a question of fairness. Because with the current FIA system of being able to race multiple slots, those who race in 2nd slot onwards will have advance knowledge of the weather, and thus nullify any strategic gambles and takes out the main challenge of dynamic weather in racing. You might as well just have static weather then.

If the weather is scripted differently for each slot, that's also not fair because some races can end up totally dry and those who race in that slot will have an easier time than those racing in a wet slot.

Yes but as I mentioned in the first post, then the problem becomes a question of fairness. Because with the current FIA system of being able to race multiple slots, those who race in 2nd slot onwards will have advance knowledge of the weather, and thus nullify any strategic gambles and takes out the main challenge of dynamic weather in racing. You might as well just have static weather then.

If the weather is scripted differently for each slot, that's also not fair because some races can end up totally dry and those who race in that slot will have an easier time than those racing in a wet slot.
Couldn't they just display beforehand what the weather will be, under the race settings? And when it will change? That way people could copy it for practice lobbies. It would completely take out the challenge of dynamic weather but it's the only way they could do it fairly.

Couldn't they just display beforehand what the weather will be, under the race settings? And when it will change? That way people could copy it for practice lobbies. It would completely take out the challenge of dynamic weather but it's the only way they could do it fairly.
They could. Back in GT6 I believe you have a slider for the probability of weather changing, though it's still random whether it will actually change or not. But if you have all the settings, then dynamic weather is just meaningless for the racing and it just becomes a visual gimmick IMO. The reason why dynamic weather IRL always brings interesting races is because no one knows what's gonna happen, and the risk-reward stakes are upped considerably. If we know every setting, then might as well just race fully in the dry, or fully in the wet like GTS.

You can't say it's fully fair either, because even with the current 1 week lead up time to a race in GTS, you have people practicing huge amounts vs people who are going in blind. Adding dynamic weather to the mix, and those practice will know EXACTLY when to change tyres, it's not even a contest. I want the races to be a test of skill and adaptability, not just a measure of who has the most free time.

Watch last weekend's Sochi F1 quali and last 6 laps of the race if you don't believe me ;)

Just wanna say, if there's dynamic time/weather in the FIAGTCs, I'd be even more interested in spectating the rounds that get broadcasted on YouTube, not to mention I'd also be more interested in participating myself.

Heck, why limit dynamic time/weather to the FIAGTCs? Why not expand it to other official championships like the Toyota Gazoo Racing Cup, or the Porsche Gran Turismo Cup?

Last edited:
If they where to go with dynamic weather in these events (if they are short laps) then I would remove tire wear, pitting for wet or dry tires, depending how the weather changes would be the reason to pit, the events usually have increased tire wear, with the tires bald after just a few laps, the combination of rain would just make it a mess.

Hopefully, PD have improved the drying line physics. It really does make a difference when down properly. That’s why it’s sommetimes a shame when GT players haven’t tried other games With different features.
When doing wet/dry/wet, dry/wet/dry, dry/wet, wet/dry races in PC2, it’s amazing to experience those conditions. The player learns so much of where to place the car, where the standing water is, where the river of water that cross the track surface, where to go easy and where to push and where to set up a pass, all that. It keeps the player alert and adds a factor of just trying to finish, rather than or in addition to, winning as the main objective.

In Gran Turismo Sport, the wet racing is more of a chore than fun and learning for many players. It could should and will work, when done correctly.

I believe Le Mans 24 hs should be a strong value for GT7 and worthy reason to get it.

• Dynamic weather
  • Different condensed time formats for the 24 hs race (in 1 hour, 3 hours, 6 hours, 12 hours and 24 hs)
  • I would even go as far as saying that they should even include a mode with antic cars with the race being in black and white!

lemans24hs.png

lemans24hscars.jpg

lemansblackandwhite.jpg

le-mans-24-heures-hora-carreras-bandera-francia-sarthe-bbym18.jpg

Last edited:
During the presentation they said dynamic weather available in custom arcade mode. Hopefully it will be an option for some online races.

I feel it would have to be. There are options in a lobby that we don't have in Custom race.

Last edited:

Right at the end of the Sport Mode clip, as the screen fades to black, the in-car cam of the GT500 Supra shows the clock change from ”6:30” to “6:31”.
Three laps at Interlagos are too short. Could be several Race A events like the Seasonals. Maybe.

Anyway, time change is a nice addition to Sport Mode.

Reading the GR Cup thread, the recent Le Mans race seems to have different time of day at each race. Haven’t read about different weather conditions.

Anyway, as I don’t have PS+ to try these races myself, it’d be interesting to know if tyres last longer during night portions of a race over those that race in the day.

Okay, so I’ve read and saw a YouTube video, that there was a Sport Mode race with Dynamic weather. How’d it go for anyone that participated?

Okay, so I’ve read and saw a YouTube video, that there was a Sport Mode race with Dynamic weather. How’d it go for anyone that participated?
It was ok. A lot of people loved it, just for the fact that it made the race more dynamic, since there was a chance you might get some rain, and chaos would ensue.

In my opinion every single daily race should have random weather and random time of day just to make it more interesting, so I hope we get more of that. Every time you jump into a race it should by different from the last. But the main thing stopping that seems to be PDs less than ideal coding. For some reason they can't seem to separate qualification conditions from race conditions, so as soon as they add random conditions to the race, you get it in qualification as well and you have to restart qualification over and over until you get good conditions. For this race it didn't matter much since the long straights meant you could pretty much start from the back and win as easily as if you started from the front.

Then there's some practical issues/considerations with it. For this race they had the time progress very quickly, so even big rain storms ended up basically being showers. It worked well and wasn't necessarily a bad thing, but because of the big pit lane loss and short rain periods there was no strategy associated with it really. It was more a test of can you drive at the limit of soft tyres on a wet surface for a short while before it dried up again. So there's a balance to be struck with weather and time progress, as well as pit lane loss to make changing tyres a possibility. Hopefully pd don't wait a year for the next time.

Alright, so it can work well. Taking into consideration qualifying, would longer races like the WTC Spa event be a standard PD should go for? Maybe even the Tokyo PP600 and Tokyo Gr.3 races? Just to say, it gives players more time to use a strategy since the laps are a bit shorter.

Yeah the event did have dynamic weather but it was nothing drastic. Most the races I did there was only a slight shower and wasn't even a need to change tyres.
But it's a step in the right direction. I understand that PD are just 'testing the waters' with these changes, seeing how they go, make adjustments and go again. I imagine we will see more of it in the future with more of an effect as PD gets handle on what works and what doesn't.

Back