E-Cigarettes and Vaping Thread

I have a pretty good vaping story, up untill this year I was smoking cigarettes(2-3 packs a week) for about 7 years, then I tried vaping, at first I was doing it 50/50 with cigs but then I was getting less erge to smoke in general(it helps that they cost a fortune here in Australia) then after about a month of straight vaping I stopped even that and I haven't smoked anything for the last 3 months.

Once you get used to vaping, cigs become harder to smoke as they are significantly more harsh and Vapes in general are not as addictive atleast in my opinion even with nicotine so after awhile I found it pretty easy to quit it all.

I vape. I enjoy vaping. I stopped smoking cigarettes largely because of vaping.

I can’t help but scratch my head as our media is consumed with the 12 known vaping deaths this year as to the reason for all the coverage.

Trying to instill fear? RJ Reynolds and big tobacco losses turning into a media war on vape juice?

From what reliable information I’ve been able to gather most of these deaths have been attributed to vaping synthetic cannabis, or K2, also known as “Spice” on the street.

Any other smokers/vapors out there finding these media reports questionable?

I am neither a smoker nor a vaper, but yes I find these media reports questionable, and I suspect like you do that Big Tobacco is behind if not the amount of reporting, then at least the slant of most of it. They don't mention that the deaths are mostly if not completely from using illegal juice purchased on the street, not from a vape shop. I especially think they're the ones pushing hard for the wave of legislation against vaping.

Didn’t see that 7 year old thread.
Every day here in 2019 a major media outlet runs a new story on vape danger, and they all fail to mention the CDC numbers of 480,000 dry tobacco deaths last year.

As for the seven year old thread, I would think that thread's more for discussion amongst those who indulge in vaping or are interested in the subject and this thread is appropriate for discussing the current wave of anti-vaping.

As for the seven year old thread, I would think that thread's more for discussion amongst those who indulge in vaping or are interested in the subject and this thread is appropriate for discussing the current wave of anti-vaping
I think the largest percentage of those picking up vaping seem to be in the teen age- to college, younger adult age groups. The Vaping industry has touted this as a Safe ALTERNATIVE to smoking but the medical results currently taking place are not supporting the safe with no risk industry line.

I will say that it has been proven that nicotine's addictive powers rank on about the same level as heroin. Those making their money off of this vaping industry are not going to agree to shut down the cash cow on their own regardless of what dangers may actually be a result of the vaping practice.

I do think that the FDA and medical community is trying to get out in front of this and limit the damages that vaping has appeared to be causing on an increased rate recently. As far as much fewer deaths as compared to smoking cigarettes sort of hard to compare the amount of medical problems from 75 years of cigarette abuse to only a few years of vaping records and from a much smaller sample group.

Also most of these medical vaping issues the people that are dying have only been vaping a couple of years and cigarettes are not known for killing people in that short of a time frame on average.

If the government gets involved trying not to let the problem go unchecked and get out of control they are called overreaching and interfering where they do not belong. But if they do nothing then down the road the accusations will fly they should have done something when it first started to protect the public.

No different really than the opioid crisis as well. The government will not be right regardless of how they respond to one percentage of the population or the other.

Who's pushing a safe, no risk agenda? I've seen "safer than smoking" which I think, anecdotally, it is. But I dont recall anyone saying its inherently risk free. But hell, lunch meats and bacon have a risk of causing cancer. No ones out there pushing to ban maple syrup bacon "for the kids."
Also anecdotal, but most of the vapers I know started vaping near or well into their 30s. Maybe it's because I dont hang out with college aged people much, but the few I do know through dont smoke or vape.
And to pander to what I believe it's the best "whatabout" line, if their issue is that flavored juice draws in kids, why the hell do we still sell wine coolers and flavored alcohol beverages? Surely that does actually kill more kids by quite a very large margin compared to vaping.
Also, it should be noted, nearly all of those they have died to respiratory complications from vaping were using knockoff THC carts that use a vitamin e oil that recondenses to a liquid state in the lungs.

The figure that's pretty widely accepted is that vaping is at least 95% safer than cigarettes. Regular legal nicotine based stuff anyway. The UK medical profession were cautious, but have got much more behind vaping recently. Various figures were quick to respond to the USA deaths: https://www.theguardian.com/society...erts-reassure-vapers-products-in--uk-are-safe

Some say that 30% of vaping in USA is teenage/youth. I'd like to say it's less than that in UK but I don't know - anecdotally, almost all vapers I see are clearly older. Even in that 30% it's likely that some are giving up cigarettes, so we might guess at 75% of all vapers being ex-smokers. It's certainly a majority either way. But the way the media presents this is as if no teenagers ever smoked :rolleyes:

Back