E3 2011: The Parallel Paths of Forza Motorsport 4

• Thread starter Bogie 19th
  • 392 comments
United States
United States
With the development of Forza Motorsport 4, Turn 10 Studios has built itself a mountain to scale. They've proven themselves adept racing developers, with three excellent titles under their belts, but by expanding and adding to the franchise, they've created a challenge. How do you keep your roads straight when you're expanding a franchise beyond the simple act of driving?

But before looking at the new branches, let's talk about that driving core. Turn 10 Studios has teamed up with Pirelli Tires to mine data and statistics from real-world tire tests in order to further build upon Forza Motorsports' physics model. "The idea of simulating physics is like the idea of simulating the weather," said Creative Director Dan Greenawalt. "We've got global warming models. Are they accurate? They're more accurate than in the 1800s where they held a finger to the wind. Our medicine is more accurate than snake oil salesmen. They're not as accurate as they will be."

The 2010 Mosler MT900S

forza-motorsport-4-20110605072416608-000.jpg

This dedication to improvement shines through in Forza Motorsports 4's handling. Whether careening too fast around in a corner in a Mercury Cougar, or riding the line in a Ferrari 599 GTO, I could feel the difference, that point of no return before slamming into a wall. The twists and turns of Forza 4's new fictional track "The Alps" were a great training ground demonstrating the differences between vehicles. The grip of a Subaru STI Impreza WRX STI speeding under a gondola in the mountains is unique to that car's weight and suspension.

Dan Greenwalt says Turn 10 is "breaking out of the arms race of numbers" with Forza 4, though it still boasts a high car count. The launch will see the availability of around 500 cars, with 10 new vehicles available through DLC each month, so there's no lack of vehicles to take to the track. But a dichotomy emerges here in the evolving world of Forza Motorsport.

The Showroom: Like an Encyclopedia

forza-motorsport-4-20110605072425107-000.jpg

Showing off a beautiful new lighting engine and an encyclopedic look at car facts, the new Showroom mode is a car lover's dream. Utilizing Kinect to "walk" around the car and "touch" points of interest, Forza 4 provides a plethora of technical specs narrated by Forza 3's Peter Egan. Other points on the car describe fun facts as told by the Jeremy Clarkson, courtesy of Forza Motorsports 4's new Top Gear partnership. These stories include hilarious retellings of manufacturer embarrassments and famous, quirky anecdotes behind each car's design choices.

After blowing the competition out of the water in the new World Tour mode and dropping a million credits on your dream car, you'd think it's off to the showroom to learn all about it. Well, that's not how it works. Not directly, anyway. The Career and Showroom aren't the same thing. The Showroom needs to be seen as a "new level," said Greenwalt - it's "not Career." The Showroom experience has around 10 hours of unique content, challenges, and cars to view, but it isn't tied to the vehicles you've earned and purchased through your racing career.

"In many ways," Greenwalt says, "racing is the smallest part of the game." And that's a sign of where Turn 10 wants to take Forza. It doesn't mean that the racing has been neglected; from the laps I ran it remains fantastic. But Turn 10 is casting a wider net. Several nets in fact, to pull in a larger audience. Their aim is to "turn gamers into car lovers [and] turn car lovers into gamers." But what does branching out mean for the complete Forza Motorsport 4 package?

Explore cars inside and out.

forza-motorsport-4-20110605072420732-000.jpg

At E3 2010, we learned that Kinect would play a role in the Forza 4 experience. It's a great way to expand the series's reach, but again, it hurls the experience down yet another road. You simply mimic steering with your hands with Kinect, and the braking and acceleration are handled for you. These Kinect-specific assists don't change the physics, but they do lower the barrier of entry for a serious game. It's a nice touch for certain players - but another road for Forza Motorsport as a series.

The last piece of Forza 4's platform is its multiplayer and community features, the closest ties to the main game and a player's possessions. Races add experience to your driver level, and racing Clubs and liveries return.

Certain models are quite specific in their manufacture.

forza-motorsport-4-20110605072418670-000.jpg

Each of Forza Motorsport 4's facets were superbly executed in my first taste. The driving remains top-notch, with an exciting upgrade to grip and control. The Showroom is fascinating, and Top Gear's colorful anecdotes are a welcome addition. The described community features, and the addition of an accessible Kinect mode work nicely, on their own terms.

But as I raced through the Alps, witnessed the Showroom, and saw a demonstration of Kinect's simplified driving, I couldn't shake the oddity that these elements are all driving down their own paths in parallel, never quite touching. While there's some overlap, Turn 10 has a challenge ahead to make the experience feel unified.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/117/1172852p1.html

Looks like Turn 10 has another hit. Dang.

E3 Trailer:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/06/06/forza-motorsport-4-e3-2011-trailer

Booyah.....ALPS look awesome too.

All I've ever really wanted is the Alpine Ring to come back from FM1, but this looks like it'll be so much more suited to photomode. I really can't wait.

I hope showroom works for all cars! I cant wait!!!
Wish It came out next month! lol

Those Replay Shots, the lightning effects are almost fixed now. Way better over FM3.
e3-2011-forza-4-screens-20110606114008411.jpg

Hope to see live demos posted soon :D

Top Gear Test Track @1:05

Also hearing that the Kinect only lets you steer is music to my ears. Forza 4 had me interested in Kinect but after this year's Kinect-is-now-in-everything E3 conference I think I'll continue to avoid it on principle.

Awesome vid JoeMa.

My #1 concern of Forza 4 is the cost of cars and parts. Having to race 8 hours a day, 5 days a week for a year straight and still not afford all the cars is inexcusable. If you want to make a car competitive on leaderboards you usually need to spend a few times the original cost of the car in parts. I hope they get it right.

Since Forza 3 is superior to GT5, it will be hard for Forza 4 to not be better.

Since Forza 3 is superior to GT5, it will be hard for Forza 4 to not be better.

HAHA FM4 wont take a step back! Cant wait for E3 demo booths!! I want to see some interviews about whats new in the Physics department etc.

Here's some B-roll footage that wasn't shown at E3, but features what looks like in-game racing. Enjoy

looks as if I was beaten to it in the other thread

Last edited:
Shark33
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

But FM4 will be a good opponent.

Fanboy.

This game looks amazing. The only things GT5 had going for it was the physics engine, "weekly" no wait, "bi-weekly" oh sorry, SPORADIC seasonal events, and superior graphics on less than 20% of the vehicles. Since these issues have been addressed in Forza 4, better physics engine, 1 million polygon count on vehicles, and guaranteed monthly DLC there is really no competition here.

^
You have got to be kidding about the "better physics engine"
Not sure if ill ever be a fan of Forza but seriously. PD needs to get to work.

The preview for this game looked really good.

^
You have got to be kidding about the "better physics engine"
Not sure if ill ever be a fan of Forza but seriously. PD needs to get to work.

The preview for this game looked really good.
No I'd agree with that GT5 comment, compared to Forza 3 anyway. GT5's physics felt much better to me, though I think we may be getting to a point where the games are close enough overall that personal preferences and driving styles are deciding which one's best on an individual level. Forza 3's physics were what stopped it being a long term game for me, it's a great game but I can only play in small doses. I can play GT5 for ages when I get a quiet day. I'm sure Forza 4 will improve on Forza 3's physics though, and even if not, Forza 3's still a great game imo.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Except it's the truth. FM3 was better than GT5.

In some ways, yes. In some ways, GT5 is better.

But DAMN. Forza 4 is looking hot. It'll (seemingly) be better than GT5 in almost every thinkable way. I kinda feel bad for Polyphony... Though it'll be interesting to see how they respond.

Here's some B-roll footage that wasn't shown at E3, but features what looks like in-game racing. Enjoy

looks as if I was beaten to it in the other thread
I am very pleased at what looks to be T10 finally demonstrating a sense of speed. When the McLaren is in 6th at 190Mph, the camera looks to be really shaking unlike FM3 where 160 & 240Mph looked the exact same....

Fanboy.

This game looks amazing. The only things GT5 had going for it was the physics engine, "weekly" no wait, "bi-weekly" oh sorry, SPORADIC seasonal events, and superior graphics on less than 20% of the vehicles. Since these issues have been addressed in Forza 4, better physics engine, 1 million polygon count on vehicles, and guaranteed monthly DLC there is really no competition here.
:lol:I'm not a fanboy, pal. I play both game. GT5 has much better graphics (Forza is too plastic) and physics and nothing else matters. But yes, I want a better game. We will see.

:lol:I'm not a fanboy, pal. I play both game. GT5 has much better graphics (Forza is too plastic) and physics and nothing else matters. But yes, I want a better game. We will see.
So GT5 is better because it has better graphics? I guess the lack of cockpits and realistic car audio don't affect you? Well i guess that wouldn't matter anymore since FM4 graphics seem to be on the same level as GT5, at least according to showroom pics and recent videos. Really don't want to turn this into a FM4 vs GT5 debate so I'm just going to stop now.
Gameplay>>graphics.

I really hope those Garage when you can open doors, hoods, etc, works for all cars and not only few premium ones.

I smell something what GT5 did with GT4.
FM4 will I bet use most cars from FM3 with basic interiors but you wont able to open doors or check whats under hood, and some premium cars where you can do that. I hope im wrong and all cars you can do that :)

I cant wait!!!

About post above, graphics.. Hmm seems the replay videos really dont match quality of GT5 replay videos. Those showroom seem to be bit prerendered? Heck even FM3 when you snap pic, some it goes though the FM servers and brings quality much more, GT5, all game engine, only things that change is lightning in replay and photo mode. Altho environments look very nice in FM4, in GT5, some look nice, but City Ones look best, like London , Rome, etc.
Heck its not about Graphics, FM4 looks really good, so now most important factor is Physics. I just play FM3, and seems it will beat GT5 with FM4s improved physics!

Last edited:
E3 2011 Trailer looked good, but it also looked pre-rendered. Also, as for the 500 cars...that's the 400 from Forza 3 + the 100+ added via DLC. So don't except a lot of new faces to the franchise until the DLC starts to roll out.

Showroom sounds cool...but at the same time kinda boring unless you're...well..unless you're Jeremy Clarkson. I'm scared that the showroom "games" are gonna be "can you tell me what this part is?" games told by some guy who likes to talk to you like you're 3.

I'm expecting a polished version of Forza 3 on 2 or 3 discs, with some extra content. And I pray that the next Xbox has blu-ray built in 'cause I wanna see what Turn10 can do with 25GB of space.

I'm awaiting the chance to get my PS3 and GT5. But as I look at Forza Motorsport 4, I'm starting to feel like (and this is going to sound unusual from a GT fan like me), Forza may finally overtake Gran Turismo and run multiple laps around it with FM4. This game looks absolutely stunning. Those who have an unconditional love of racing games should respect what this game has to offer. I'm just in awe seeing one or two YouTube videos on FM4. I'm just stunned looking at FM4. It may be the best Forza ever until the next Forza title.

Those bestowed with an XBOX 360 will not be disappointed with Forza Motorsport 4, at least from these early things I've read and seen about FM4.

Back