E3 2013: Forza Motorsport 5 will likely outrace Gran Turismo 6

• Thread starter King1982
  • 42 comments
FM5 will crumble GT6
I doubt it. I play both GT and Forza and even though I want FM5 unless they add support for the Forza wheels I will not be buying it and I know several others who feel the same way. There is actually a fairly large number of people who are likely to move to GT and other who played both but will not be on 5. As for sales FM5 will likely be lower than 2, 3 or 4 were. GT6 on the other hand will probably sell as many as FM2,3,4 combined.

FM3 can't touch GT4 even if it is a different generation.
GT4 was a better game no doubt but FM3 has much better graphics. As much as I liked GT4 I have a hard time playing it on an HD tv the picture quality just isn't there. Forza 3 looks good but Forza 2 was actually closer to GT4 in terms of release and Forza 2 was a much better game than Forza 3 as well and looks better than GT4

I doubt it. I play both GT and Forza and even though I want FM5 unless they add support for the Forza wheels I will not be buying it and I know several others who feel the same way. There is actually a fairly large number of people who are likely to move to GT and other who played both but will not be on 5. As for sales FM5 will likely be lower than 2, 3 or 4 were. GT6 on the other hand will probably sell as many as FM2,3,4 combined.

I'm one of those people who refuses to buy a new wheel to play FM5, but regardless of that in terms of pure sales numbers FM5 is pretty much guaranteed to be crushed by GT6. New console versus something like 70 million potential PS3 customers. Even if every single person buying an Xbone at launch got a copy of FM5 as well, it'd still probably get outsold.

We're really not going to be able to refer to sales numbers as representative of quality for this one. Not that you ever really can *cough*CoD*cough* but sometimes there's at least interesting information to be seen. But when the install difference is that large, I don't see how any meaningful information can be gained from sales. Apart from that Microsoft are tools. :sly:

GT4 was a better game no doubt

That is very much discussable. GT4 was great and FM3 had its flaws but its all a question of balance and to me, FM3 was more enjoyable.

GT4 was ahead of its time but it was still mostly an understeer nightmare with wrongly represented north american (and many european) cars. Great tracks, mind boggling Nordschleife, as usual unmatchable attention to details, but flawed in too many ways. (Physics, sounds, overall immersion)

FM3 was assisted even if you did turn everything off, wisch was a major deception especially when you own a steering wheel. And thats a pretty big issue but the only thing that I did not like about that game.Everything else is just superior. Graphics, sounds, AI, compatible with Fanatec's great Porsche wheels... better experience in my book.

But as I said, discussable...👍

You know I have to admit, as much as I despise GT4, I played it for significantly longer than I did FM3. While GT4 was a good game ruined by a completely unacceptable physics engine, FM3 failed to make much of an impression in either direction. Like any other FM game, it had cool stuff to do in the garage, but the events were uninspired (like FM4 as well), and the driving model was a dull mega-grip-fest. Graphics and sounds and AI, all definitely well-sorted, but my interest waned quickly. :indiff:

"Cars: >200"

Why yes. I'm certain Forza's car list is going to drop by 2/3rds.

:lol:

For a certain matter of "consistent."

Haven't seen anything to suggest it will or won't have that amount of cars. I personally don't believe it will be anywhere near FM4's list size. Not without some serious drop in quality on a lot of the lesser cars. I think even 300 is a hopeful guess.

EDIT: In fact this just reinforces the likelihood of the car list being cut significantly.

Bill Giese
The studio has ditched all existing car assets and started afresh. "That's one of the challenges of developing for a new console," adds Bill Giese, design director. "We had to rebuild every asset in the game. Unlike previous versions where we could leverage things and move them over, everything's all-new in this console."

http://www.oxm.co.uk/56724/previews...-turn-10s-putting-xbox-one-through-its-paces/

I wouldn't be shocked with a GT2>GT3 level car decrease considering every car will supposedly be useable in Autovista and some of the models are carryovers from FM1.

I wouldn't be shocked with a GT2>GT3 level car decrease considering every car will supposedly be useable in Autovista and some of the models are carryovers from FM1.

I think it should be the expectation. The other option is some sort of GT5-style premium/standard divide, where some assets are simply transferred from FM4. Clearly two years is not enough time to build 600+ cars to current console standards, let alone next gen standards.

While there's some discussion to be had about whether including older assets for the sake of greater variety is of benefit to the gameplay, in this case I think FM should just do the opposite of GT. There was enough vocal backlash from the standard thing (and enough evidence that it didn't really hurt GT3) that there's just no need to go there.

It gives them a nice point of differential to GT, and it's always preferable to be the ones able to claim the (supposed) moral high ground of providing only the finest quality. Some customers respond to that, in the same way that some customers respond to the large car numbers on the GT box. FM isn't going to be able to compete on pure numbers regardless, so it's better for them to go the quality route.

But we all know Turn 10 outsources their car modelling. It would be relatively easy, if somewhat expensive, to hire a bunch of studios to revamp the entire list in two years flat. There's not really anything stopping them.

That's not even considering the possibility that every car created for FM over the past two years had this new level of quality as the target, and we were only given the 360-compatible ones (with exception to the Autovista models)...

But we all know Turn 10 outsources their car modelling. It would be relatively easy, if somewhat expensive, to hire a bunch of studios to revamp the entire list in two years flat. There's not really anything stopping them.

lol, no. just no.

The only thing that would stop them would be money. It's not endless for any developer.

Slipztrem makes the valid point that any recent models were likely created with X1 quality in mind. If they planned ahead well, they could minimise the drop. The time from FM2>FM3 was taken up doing interiors for all cars, so probably not then. Potentially the time from FM3>FM4 and after FM4 they could have been doing it. What do they do, about 150 new cars per release? So that's about 300 there, which is in the ball park.

One thing I always liked about Forza was the focus on the car in general, not specific models. R34 gtr was enough for Turn 10, they didn't need a PD-style R34, R34 v-spec, R34 v-spec II, R34 Nur... R34 GTR was enough for them.

I hope they aren't going away from that.

Back