EA ends the Project Cars & Dirt series

• Thread starter Fezzik
  • 162 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom

Not really a surprise after the community dissatisfaction with the new direction of PC3 and the existence of similar games in the EA portfolio. I've been enjoying Grid Legends so hopefully that one can survive the cull and get a follow-up.

Project CARS 3, released in 2020 sold 86% less than Project CARS 2 according to its UK sales.
If sales bombed that hard, it is no surprise the franchise is being canned. It's a shame really, PC3 was a decent title in its own right, just marketed incorrectly. If it was positioned as a more casual spinoff and called something like "Project CARS: Shift", I reckon it would have received better reception.

Hopefully the GRID franchise can hold the torch for closed-circuit racing in EA's portfolio.

Last edited:
Dirt has been replaced by WRC 23, right?

As for Project Cars, well, it's a bit sad, but I guess that's normal for EA standards; besides, PC3 was terrible compared to previous entries. Guess we'll never see PC4 which was supposed to be the most realistic simulator ever... Lol.

Another bites the dust ... what a shame really , they should have stayed independed before selling to codemasters and then dropping into EA just to be killed

Last edited by a moderator:
Another bites the dust ... what a shame really , they should have stayed independed before selling to codemasters and then dropping into EA just to be killed
They never delivered and then the idea with an own console...

Sad, but not unexpected after PC3 fail. Let's just hope that EA and Codemasters will work on something similar but under different brand.

They never delivered and then the idea with an own console...
It was... expected still very sad, but I can understand EA's choice.
Especially that Codies can make a lot of games similar to PCars to be honest...

Considering PC3 had been out for quite a while before EA's purchase of SMS went ahead, I don't think they've been canned because of PC3, at least not just becuase of PC3. It's possible that EA bought SMS with the primary intention of removing a competitor. They'll use some staff for other projects and make the rest redundant. It's harsh, but it's business.

PC3 wasn't a terrbile game, it was just not in any way comparable to PC1 and 2 yet it was marketed and touted as being more realistic than both of them, as well as being a spiritual successor to Shift 2.

It is definitely more of a spiritual Shift 2 successor than PC2 successor, and they should have distanced it from PC1 and 2 as a result and branded it differently, and I think the game would have done better as a result. It certainly would have managed expectations better.

Considering PC3 had been out for quite a while before EA's purchase of SMS went ahead, I don't think they've been canned because of PC3, at least not just becuase of PC3. It's possible that EA bought SMS with the primary intention of removing a competitor. They'll use some staff for other projects and make the rest redundant. It's harsh, but it's business.

PC3 wasn't a terrbile game, it was just not in any way comparable to PC1 and 2 yet it was marketed and touted as being more realistic than both of them, as well as being a spiritual successor to Shift 2.

It is definitely more of a spiritual Shift 2 successor than PC2 successor, and they should have distanced it from PC1 and 2 as a result and branded it differently, and I think the game would have done better as a result. It certainly would have managed expectations better.
They can still make similar game under different brand. GRID is still suitable. And it was quite similar to PCARS idea (especially PCars3)

They didn't directly buy SMS though, the studio was just a small footnote in the Codies package that was primarily about acquiring the F1 series.

They can still make similar game under different brand. GRID is still suitable. And it was quite similar to PCARS idea (especially PCars3)
Yeah. To be frank, some PC3 elements should be incorporated into the next GRID game.

What a shame, hardly surprising though. They didn't need another PC3 with GRID under the same umbrella but it's a shame we won't see a PC4 that is actually a proper follow-up to 1&2.

Guess on consoles ACC is going to be the only serious sim racing game for now, but it's pretty limited in scope.

Last edited:
What a shame, hardly surprising though. They didn't need another PC3 with GRID under the same umbrella but it's a shame we won't see a PC4 that is actually a proper follow-up to 1&2.

Guess on consoles AC is going to be the only serious sim racing game for now, but it's pretty limited in scope.
GTR Revival is coming. Honest. Ian said so. I'm sure that'll provide all the serious sim action anyone could ever want.

Flying Sci-Fi GIF by Feliks Tomasz Konczakowski

GTR Revival is coming. Honest. Ian said so. I'm sure that'll provide all the serious sim action anyone could ever want.
Yeeeeaaaahhhh... to be honest I would more believe in decent port of AC2 on consoles.

Flying Sci-Fi GIF by Feliks Tomasz Konczakowski
Heh, well the target release date of that one is late 2024 anyway, so a long way off if everything does go to plan. Which we know it won't.

I’m not even surprised either. The first two were buggy messes and they just spit in people’s faces with the third. I feel nothing about this news.

They didn't directly buy SMS though, the studio was just a small footnote in the Codies package that was primarily about acquiring the F1 series.
Good point, in that case SMS was doomed from day 1 under EA, they were just waiting for the inevitible reshuffle that would at some point follow.

Dirt has been replaced by WRC 23, right?

As for Project Cars, well, it's a bit sad, but I guess that's normal for EA standards; besides, PC3 was terrible compared to previous entries. Guess we'll never see PC4 which was supposed to be the most realistic simulator ever... Lol.
Yeah, the Dirt announcement isn't a surprise considering they now have the WRC license and Dirt Rally 3 development was shifted to their first WRC game.

And to be honest, pCars doesn't surprise me with how badly pCars 3 bombed, the reputation of that game was destroyed with that single release. I expect pCars 4 or whatever is left of it will get absorbed into a future Grid title.

Last edited:
Yeah, the Dirt announcement isn't a surprise considering they now have the WRC license and Dirt Rally 3 development was shifted to their first WRC game.

And to be honest, pCars doesn't surprise me with how badly pCars 3 bombed, the reputation of that game was destroyed with that single release. I expect pCars 4 or whatever is left of it will get absorbed into a future Grid title.
Who needs Grid anymore, when their's Need For Speed in portfolio and F1 series with tracks and super cars in last game, too.

Well Grid and Need for Speed sre completely different types of game, and F1 won't replace Grid in any way shape or form.
The wrote they would focus on open world driving games. For me that would be a decision for Need for Speed and against Grid.

Last edited:
The wrote they would focus on open world driving games. For me that would be a decision for Need for Speed and against Grid.
It says particularly on open world, not exclusively. The article also says that Grid is in development, it won't be going anywhere.

This news is not a surprise of course but a bit of a bummer for me since PC2 and DR2.0 are my most played racing games on the PS4. I just hope other games will take their place, or maybe I'm just forced to get into pc gaming now because there is much more choice there.

Latest Posts

Back