EA ends the Project Cars & Dirt series

• Thread starter Fezzik
  • 162 comments
I'm not sure if it's at all relevant to the story but I just noticed today that OnRush is pulled down from both Xbox One and PS4 storefront, and I swear it was still available earlier this year.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it's at all relevant to the story but I just noticed today that OnRush is pulled down from both Xbox One and PS4 storefront, and I swear it was still available earlier this year.
I've found it on PS5 under plus titles and am able to download it. A search for it on the store doesn't find it.

I'm surprised at how many people liked pcars3?

I like arcade racing games like Grid and Forza... and I personally thought pcars3 was a ugly-looking mess with unpredictable controls, bad AI that only wants to pack race and block, no anti aliasing, a grindy career mode, a timed rivals mode that kept breaking, and a completely dead online at launch.

I'm just as nostalgic as the next guy for pcars2, but I'm not upset the franchise and studio is gone when I feel like 3 is subjectively and objectively worse in every way, outside of a livery editor.
Oh, at least somebody here. :D PC3 is not bad PC game, it's just terrible game with crazy gamepad controls!!!

I've tried Grid Legends on PS5, £17.99 on the PSN, and while it is a nice enough arcade racer I can't imagine anyone confusing it for PC3 in any way.

I'm gonna quit beating this dead horse, I swear.
I think Imari really best feels how I felt a year ago. After I was thoroughly fed up with PCars 3, I went back to Shift 1 and 2 to figure out if I just didn't care for the Shift formula, because I too bought Shift 2 three times after I lost my 360 disc copy, then built my own computer.
Pcars 3 just isn't fun. All of the features SMS wanted to add back to Project Cars from Shift just end up feeling neutered and half-baked. The helmet cam isn't as good. The damage modelling isn't as good. The car customization isn't as good. The career mode isn't as good. The soundtrack isn't as good. The list is depressing.
A good example of an exception to my rule, that physics are paramount in a racing game. Sometimes, the sum of a game's parts make it more rewarding than its handling would suggest -- the Tokyo Xtreme Racer franchise is a prime example along with S2U -- while sometimes, better handling doesn't mean a game is fun for long.

Physics are the most important thing, but not the only thing. Game design is the thing. I really wonder about the apparent lack of care or attention given to handling physics OR gameplay design in professionally-made racing games, like everything both EA and Codemasters are up to now. It's like they sink all their money into everything else -- art, sounds, licensing $$$$$$ -- and then literally can't afford to give a **** how you interact with it.

I agree. The ToCA games were awesome, as the first of their kind for console. Physics were fine while tapping buttons on controllers.
Lots of immersion from the radio talk, weather, In-car view, bumper-to-bumper racing.
Funny how the racing takes a backseat in some of these modern games.

I agree. The ToCA games were awesome, as the first of their kind for console. Physics were fine while tapping buttons on controllers.
Lots of immersion from the radio talk, weather, In-car view, bumper-to-bumper racing.
Funny how the racing takes a backseat in some of these modern games.
That was my first encounter with Bathurst and many other global tracks.

Sorry to gripe like that. The state of things in and around the genre has left me restless, and I have to watch my choice of words.

It is definitely more of a spiritual Shift 2 successor than PC2 successor, and they should have distanced it from PC1 and 2 as a result and branded it differently, and I think the game would have done better as a result. It certainly would have managed expectations better.

Last edited:
I've watched a video or two of PC3 and wouldn't mind giving it a go (I especially like the look of the three part turn markers) but not until it drops to £30 or less on Xbox. I can't really justify spending £50 on a game that I may end up ditching shortly after purchase, especially after being burnt with Motorfest.

Last edited:
I've watched a video or two of PC3 and wouldn't mind giving it a go (I especially like the look of the three part turn markers) but not until it drops to £30 or less on Xbox. I can't really justify spending £50 on a game that I may end up ditching shortly after purchase, especially after being burnt with Motorfest.
I've seen it on Amazon, eBay and other places for about 20 quid many times.

Back