EA Teases the Next Need for Speed Game

I do understand the love for the classics like Hot Pursuit 2 (it was my first video game and only video game for a long time), but games have moved on from being dropped into a street race with no map outside of where that race goes. Open world racing is far better, so long as the map design is good (something I think recent NFS games need to work on). Allowing players to explore the environment, cruise around with no objective and drive to their destinations will always be superior to selecting a race and being dropped onto a closed off route with police coded to appear at certain points during the race.
Middleground could be interesting - smaller scale(like maps from Forza Horizon Addons) arenas around the Globe.

Yes, nobody against tuners and open world, but recent games kinda become more focused on tuning parts and ghost areas instead of making fun racing game. That was the point.

What do you really want outside of a race course? I didn't find it any entertaining to go free ride for boards, drift zones and etc. Sprint races around the world just making sandbox fun, different land scapes, different traffic, cop cars and may be even tactics, different weather patterns for example.

What do you really want outside of a race course?
Impromptu, point-2-point, getaways. Open world activities like treasure finding, TheCrew skills and driftzones also could be fun.

What bother me the most is that no one implement stealth in open world games with cops. Like in Drive or Babydriver where driver could use tricks to get away from cops. Not a fun of demolition derby gameplay from recent NFS titles.

The very first NFS from the 90s had no tuning ;)

The last few NFS games don't even force you to customise your car either or are we reaching the point that performance upgrades is bad now?

Impromptu, point-2-point, getaways. Open world activities like treasure finding, TheCrew skills and driftzones also could be fun.

What bother me the most is that no one implement stealth in open world games with cops. Like in Drive or Babydriver where driver could use tricks to get away from cops. Not a fun of demolition derby gameplay from recent NFS titles.

Drift zones style activity is in the last 2 NFS games, Payback has tressure/barn find system that is better than what Forza and The Crew 1 had. The randomly spawned bait crates in Payback is technically a point to point cop chases but done really poorly.

The cop chase in recent NFS titles is not even a fun demolition derby, Heat cops hit hard and you can only escape it through jumps on slower cars, Payback has it scripted in events and NFS 2015 cops is so incompetent that the player has to chase the cops just to complete certain objectives.

I don't think a cops VS. racers Need For Speed is going to happen anytime soon, as most of the fanbase still want the Underground-Carbon-esque aspects and vibes. BlackPanthaa is one of the more popular NFS YouTubers who wants to keep that vibe.

I got bored and looked up some player numbers on the recent Steam NFS releases to see what was popular. This is what I got:

Heat
24hr Peak: 4359
All-Time Peak:5880

Payback
24hr Peak: 254
All-Time Peak: 263

NFS 2016
24hr Peak: 639
All-Time Peak: 1260

Rivals
24hr Peak: 99
All-Time Peak:200

MW 2012
24hr Peak: 369
All-Time Peak: 420

Unsurprisingly, Heat is the most popular as of recent, but 2016 and MW2012 seem to be maintaining decent amounts of players. Perhaps this is one way to see what the people want in future games.

Honestly folks, I've been with the series since R&T NFS on PS1 and as much as I like pure exotic style to return, it ain't happening. The closest thing to classic NFS is either Driveclub, or Assetto Corsa with mods. Keep your expectations low, don't get too hyped up, and don't buy full price on day 1.

Hahahahahahahahaha no thanks I've learned from my mistakes this time no matter how quickly the races load.

Honestly folks, I've been with the series since R&T NFS on PS1 and as much as I like pure exotic style to return, it ain't happening. The closest thing to classic NFS is either Driveclub, or Assetto Corsa with mods. Keep your expectations low, don't get too hyped up, and don't buy full price on day 1.
Rivals and HP2010 were pretty close.

Looks like a NFS Heat 2.

I just wanted an old school Hot Pursuit:
- no career
- no tuning bulls.....
- no buying cars, but unlocking them with levels

Critereon did it one time, why can‘t they do it again 💡

But they don‘t even tweet about it on their twitter account which is suspicious.

This was the game that brought me into gaming - rather late I might add, I was 33 at that time (2011). This trailer is my absolute favorite and I love the game to this date. I also like MW2012, bought a Vita for it (obviously got platinum and 100% there) but HP2010 remains THE NFS for me. Admittedly I haven't played any previous one and The Run and Rivals were the only other NFS games I played (ok, ok, NFS World, too. Does anyone remember it? :))

It's a shame that NFSU2 is still their best physics to date as far as realism. I've tried some of the recent offerings including Heat. I just can't do it. I can't take the cartoon physics. And don't even get me started on the cheesy stories and and acting. For the love of god EA. Give us a little bit of realism.

It's a shame that NFSU2 is still their best physics to date as far as realism. I've tried some of the recent offerings including Heat. I just can't do it. I can't take the cartoon physics. And don't even get me started on the cheesy stories and and acting. For the love of god EA. Give us a little bit of realism.
True, but the Underground games are known for their ridiculous rubber-banding.

i agree with you... and will even go further back to say that the NFS 2 Special Edition on PC was the one i really enjoyed... Hot Pursuit 1 and 2 were fun too... but i just can't deal with NFS beyond that...

those games were great back then but they don't age well, I did revisit NFS2 and NFS3 HP with PS Vita using PSX emulation. Good memories but they are not as fun as I remembered.

I'm never really understand the love for Underground 2, it was great back then and it was the first open world racing game I played too but the routes for racing is not as satisfying as Underground 1, upgrading cars feels a bit of a chore, rivals in it was not memorable and the car customisation parts sure aged a lot worse than I expected.

Rivals and HP2010 were pretty close.

I would say they're the closest since Underground era started, but still not quite the same. Old school NFS didn't have weapons, free roam, drift nitro and the new games are lacking the menu atmosphere without Rom di Prisco's electronica. I would say the last old school NFS is Hot Pursuit 2 on PS2. I was pleasantly surprised by some parts of The Run as well, but the cheesy story and inability to replay stages individually killed replay value.

Having said that, one of the most enjoyable "NFS" games for me was MW 2012, and that was basically Burnout Paradise with real cars and played nothing like the PS1 classics. So yeah, it's still possible for me to enjoy modern NFS games as long as they are genuinely good games in the first place. I can get the old school NFS experience somewhere else now.

the classic era of NFS is mostly just exotic cars, scenic locations, cops and some upgrades in High Stakes while the Underground era is just mostly city areas with tuner culture, visual customisation, vehicle upgrades and later on cops. A big map to cater both location style, better variety cars, cop chases and upgrades as optional will pretty much cover a huge chunk of the NFS fan base but it also weirdly sounds a lot like Forza Horizon but with cops added into it and better visual customisation.

I don't mind if they stick to the underground vibe, it does differentiate itself to the other 2 open world racer, The Crew and Forza Horizon.

After the abysmal support of nfs heat.

Nfs is better off being dead.

How much of that was due to factors outside of Ghost's control? Can't exactly predict having the development studios being moved from Sweden to Britain and back under Criterion, and then have a global pandemic more or less grind that process to a halt. I don't exactly blame Ghost for anything considering they were given an absolutely rotten hand, and to say that NFS as a series deserves to be dead because of factors that are not of the developers own volition is absolutely moronic at best.

But then again, its typical **** in anything related to NFS. Hyperbole and Stephen A. Smith level hot takes are the order of the day, especially from two entrenched camps.

Something about trying to recapture "classic era NFS" seems antiquated and restrictive to me. It's not 1998 anymore, there's so many more ideas that can be explored these days. Ditto for the people who want things to be just like the Blackbox era games.

It's emblematic of what the NFS series has become as we've moved away from the two deviating points of a yearly franchise for most of its existence. 'Classic' era NFS means something to different people, and increasingly, to two very different age groups, but all it causes is hot takes like the one I quoted, and a tribalistic mentality that forces both Ghost and EA to play both sides and make games that bounces between the two loudest majorities.

You want a good idea? Get a small team together and make an NFS game for Switch in the vein of Nitro. I know that I'd rather play a smaller scale and more free-form, less restricted NFS then the rehashed last generation ports and Asphalt 9 on Switch that make up the vast majority of racing games on the system. Might inject some fresh blood from a series rarely seen on Nintendo consoles.

But this is all posturing by this point. It's obvious to me that the series will never have the actual change you mentioned, because as has been shown in this thread, all anyone wants is the firmly established hits, and any sort of actual new idea is just going to turn into Prostreet or The Run when both games were announced: a fanbase being petulant children that the game announced wasn't what they've been fed a hundred times before, and as time passes, people realize how actually interesting and deviating from the mold it is, and it ages much more gracefully then any other NFS game before it.

How much of that was due to factors outside of Ghost's control? Can't exactly predict having the development studios being moved from Sweden to Britain and back under Criterion, and then have a global pandemic more or less grind that process to a halt. I don't exactly blame Ghost for anything considering they were given an absolutely rotten hand, and to say that NFS as a series deserves to be dead because of factors that are not of the developers own volition is absolutely moronic at best.

But then again, its typical **** in anything related to NFS. Hyperbole and Stephen A. Smith level hot takes are the order of the day, especially from two entrenched camps.

It's emblematic of what the NFS series has become as we've moved away from the two deviating points of a yearly franchise for most of its existence. 'Classic' era NFS means something to different people, and increasingly, to two very different age groups, but all it causes is hot takes like the one I quoted, and a tribalistic mentality that forces both Ghost and EA to play both sides and make games that bounces between the two loudest majorities.

You want a good idea? Get a small team together and make an NFS game for Switch in the vein of Nitro. I know that I'd rather play a smaller scale and more free-form, less restricted NFS then the rehashed last generation ports and Asphalt 9 on Switch that make up the vast majority of racing games on the system. Might inject some fresh blood from a series rarely seen on Nintendo consoles.

But this is all posturing by this point. It's obvious to me that the series will never have the actual change you mentioned, because as has been shown in this thread, all anyone wants is the firmly established hits, and any sort of actual new idea is just going to turn into Prostreet or The Run when both games were announced: a fanbase being petulant children that the game announced wasn't what they've been fed a hundred times before, and as time passes, people realize how actually interesting and deviating from the mold it is, and it ages much more gracefully then any other NFS game before it.

If ea wanted to disband ghost they could have done it after they ended support.

Seriously I was so looking foward to the leaked Porsche unleashed and Italian job black market dlcs.

Seriously so disappointing it seems ghost was going to support the game as long as it can before they got folded by ea.

Factors like moving ghost staff to criterion, covid 19 also general interest of the game began to die down basically meant nfs heats support got doomed.

Take this with a grain of salt but what I've heard, the post-launch content that they had planned for Heat was months behind schedule. If changing studios didn't kill those plans, then quarantine working conditions absolutely would've sealed the deal.

Your "few outliers" list is missing Underground 2, Most Wanted 05, Carbon, Undercover, The Run, Most Wanted 2012, NFS2015, Payback and Heat. All of these only have two things in common with the early games; cops, and supercars. In fact in my list there's only two major games released after HPII missing, Hot Pursuit 2010 for obvious reasons and Rivals as that seemed like a sequel to HP.

And I want to add onto my last point there; Rivals wasn't great but to me it felt like a good base for a much better game. An acceptable first attempt by Ghost IMO. Then they threw everything out the window and started anew with 2015. I went in with a clear mind and I felt it wasn't great, but it seemed like a good base for a much better game. Then Payback was meant to be an evolution to 2015, yet it didn't feel great, and still was a good base for a much better game. I haven't bothered with Heat but from what I've seen I'd say the same damn things that I've been saying since Rivals, which is presicely why I didn't get it. Hopefully Criterion turns things around but I haven't loved a new NFS since Hot Pursuit 2010 so I'm not expecting this one to change that.
Speak of Rivals.That was originally Real Criterion's Hot Pursuit 2.However HP2 already existed as NFS2002.So when Criterion fell apart and Ghost buggyly ported everything to Frostbite engine,they change name to Rivals.If they reuse Chameleon/Renderware engine that game would be much better and less problematic

the classic era of NFS is mostly just exotic cars, scenic locations, cops and some upgrades in High Stakes while the Underground era is just mostly city areas with tuner culture, visual customisation, vehicle upgrades and later on cops. A big map to cater both location style, better variety cars, cop chases and upgrades as optional will pretty much cover a huge chunk of the NFS fan base but it also weirdly sounds a lot like Forza Horizon but with cops added into it and better visual customisation.

I don't mind if they stick to the underground vibe, it does differentiate itself to the other 2 open world racer, The Crew and Forza Horizon.
HS1999 was ironic considering how BB rice/chaved the whole series.In the intro of HS1999 EA Canada(Distinctive) used a engine blown Civic EK hatch to mock Ricer/Chavs.However just 4 years later BB turned NFS into what it mocked back in the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
HS1999 was ironic considering how BB rice/chaved the whole series.In the intro of HS1999 EA Canada(Distinctive) used a engine blown Civic EK hatch to mock Ricer/Chavs.However just 4 years later BB turned NFS into what it mocked back in the day.

What the **** are you talking about? And moreover, did you really revive this account, months after being smacked down for the moronic belief that the only thing the NFS should go back towards is the cops and supercars mechanics, to say the exact same things?

I quote again:

but I am going to be real with you: nobody here cares about your crusade (really, circlejerk) about how much better the 90's NFS games are to modern 'tuner' NFS games.

What the **** are you talking about? And moreover, did you really revive this account, months after being smacked down for the moronic belief that the only thing the NFS should go back towards is the cops and supercars mechanics, to say the exact same things?

I quote again:
Go watch NFS High Stakes intro and you will know EA Canada the original NFS dev mocks custom daily driver with that engine blown civic junk.HP2010 and Rivals(Criterion HP2) are the only 2 games after Blackbox fully took over in 2003 to capture the Cannonball Run essence of NFS back in 90s.If EA knows how NFS began in the first place they wont reboot the series with the ironic and joking NFS2015.Which again made the series into Ricer/Chav festival of becoming best in the street with a broken Honda junk.

Here's where you painfully miss the point: things change, and if you are a series that at that point, was being made yearly, you cannot expect the same game, in essence, to be pumped out year after year and not have fatigue or people dropping out because the series never changes. The right opportunity came along, and it proved to be incredibly popular and a windfall for a series that needed it. We can (and indeed, have) debated at length about whether this was good for the series, but at the time, it was a decision that worked out.

Moreover, times change. Frankly, the NFS franchise would be better off trying something new and actually unique instead of continually trying to please two groups of people who would rather be placated with the same type of game, over and over again, and driving the series further into a rot that the developers can't get out of. But then again, I get the feeling you aren't too smart to realize that, are you?

Kind of amazes me that we're still talking about having either "tuners" (anything that isn't a super car) or supercars. We can have both...
Why whoever is making NFS would want to alienate the part of the community asking for Tuners to appease the other half asking for supercars, or vice versa, is beyond me. It is a better business model to include both, capture the interest of both types of players, with the end result being more sales and a larger player base.

Besides, how can including vehicle customisation (a choice you can make) taking away from the ability of the player to use only supercars, with no thought to visual customisation. if you don't want to slap some fenders, wheels and a wing on your car ... then don't.

From the little tease that we have been given, we see a Nissan 180sx with what appears to be a Rocket Bunny kit (appeals to the modified car scene) and an untouched Porsche 911 GT3 RS (appeals to those who want supercars). Surely that should be an indication (albeit small) that we'll see both cultures in the next game.

I do understand the love for the classics like Hot Pursuit 2 (it was my first video game and only video game for a long time), but games have moved on from being dropped into a street race with no map outside of where that race goes. Open world racing is far better, so long as the map design is good (something I think recent NFS games need to work on). Allowing players to explore the environment, cruise around with no objective and drive to their destinations will always be superior to selecting a race and being dropped onto a closed off route with police coded to appear at certain points during the race.
Mix both type of styles we got MW2005 the original HP3 from Blackbox.Back in 2003 when BB took over they planned a style change of UG and HP in following years.However due to UG1 sales success(way better than Porsche Unleashed or HP2) EA changed their mindset and made them to continue this style,so we got UG2 in 2004.Also HP3 wasn't pushed back,it was changed into early concept of MW2005(before it's called MW) the rest are history.MW brought even bigger sales success that still blinds EA till this day along with both UG games.It's the big reason why EA forced Real Criterion to do MW2 project(but rushed to impossible) and Carbon orginally known as UG3 while UC originally known as MW2(both didnt make into reality)
HP VS UG/MW style war never ends since the day UG1 came to the scene.It was EA who changed NFS fanbase and caused the continous fanbase war of style change to this day.Since 2003,we got 14 more mainline NFS games and only 2 really were like 90s NFS.Ironically both were Real Criterion project,with Criterion fell apart in 2013 we may never see a full new Cannonball NFS in the future.

Back