EA Teases the Next Need for Speed Game

Mix both type of styles we got MW2005 the original HP3 from Blackbox. Back in 2003 when BB took over they planned a style change of UG and HP in following years.
What does this have to do with my post that you've quoted?

.Also HP3 wasn't pushed back,it was changed into early concept of MW2005(before it's called MW) the rest are history.
How do you know this? Until you can provide a source to say this is true, I see no reason to believe it, nor do I see the relevance of it to my post once again.

It was EA who changed NFS fan base and caused the continuous fan base war of style change to this day.
So what you're saying is it's EA's fault that they identified a potential source of sales in a different niche and took full advantage of that because, you know, that's what a business does? If EA saw a potential sales increase but decided, nah we like having a nice single minded player base at the expense of our own profit, they wouldn't be a very good company now would they? Expecting EA to act as if they care about the fan base being at war is pretty naive of you.

Since 2003, we got 14 more mainline NFS games and only 2 really were like 90s NFS. Ironically both were Real Criterion project,with Criterion fell apart in 2013 we may never see a full new Cannonball NFS in the future.
Ok, and?

I really struggle to understand why you had to quote my post here. You don't really address anything I had to say. All that I see here is a series of attempts to tell us the history of need for speed, as well as some unsubstantiated claims about direction changes of previous games, which I see no reason to believe what you have said.

Looking at some of your other responses here such as:
HS1999 was ironic considering how BB rice/chaved the whole series.In the intro of HS1999 EA Canada(Distinctive) used a engine blown Civic EK hatch to mock Ricer/Chavs. However just 4 years later BB turned NFS into what it mocked back in the day.
and
You will know EA Canada the original NFS dev mocks custom daily driver with that engine blown civic junk. If EA knows how NFS began in the first place they wont reboot the series with the ironic and joking NFS2015. Which again made the series into Ricer/Chav festival of becoming best in the street with a broken Honda junk.

It appears that you have retained your originally view point that you were smacked down for previously, which is really unsurprising considering how stubborn you were initially. You use the same language and terminology which really just goes to show how naive you are on the subject you are talking about (I mean, what the 🤬 does engine blown mean?). You continue to single out Honda, as if they were the sole cause of your so called "ricer" junk and you continue to suggest that NFS should return to a concept that is more than 20 years old at this point.

I'm not sure why you continue to bring this up as your arguments are no where near strong enough to convince anyone that your opinion is correct, and you appear to be unwilling to change your own opinion, so again, why do you continue to bring this up?

it was a good time for the change to Underground theme back then, not many games did visual customisation at that time and it was the car culture of its time. Even till now no one really do visual customisation like NFS and it does help the game to stand out.
UG1 was heavily influenced by Midnight Club 1 from 2000 and The Fast and The Furious from 2001.They had their time.Currently Midnight Club is dead and some elements are mixed into GTAOL(also the original MC series developers already left Rockstar after MCLA was done).Fast Furious totally dropped the street racing style and went for big heist action since 2009(As in then Universal official's words-Street racing film can not bring us enough profit and action heist is the new direction of the series)
Speak of custom makes NFS stand out.Currently we also dont have a AAA racing game with a real Be the Cop mode.Which Hot Pursuit can bring back(and judging by rumour/prediction of HP2010 Remastered,it may really come back this year)Back in The NFS 1994,the feature made NFS stood out was police chase,and when 1998 Hot Pursuit 1 came out the Be the Cop mode further improved this feature since from that game we can have 2 different progression with different targets to achieve.Finally HP1 was the first NFS to get racing game of the year prize back in 1998 which also made the series more famous than previous installments.

To me, the Black Box era DEFINED Need For Speed. Underground 1 and 2 were runaway successes, so it's dumb to suggest that their change of direction was a mistake.
No the developer defined NFS was EA Canada(Distinctive Games before 1992)They are the original developer that started the whole series.Yes I admit UG1+2/MW05 sold much more copies than EA Canada's games,but if EA Canada didn't continue their Test Drive 1987 style gameplay in TNFS 1994(with cops as new feature)NFS wont even began in the first place.UG1 was a game changed NFS identity not the game started NFS as a series.Also BB wouldnt even have the chance to work on UG1 and later games if they didnt make HP2 PS2 in the first place.It was that game let BB took full control of NFS in 2003-2008(since 2009 we saw games from other devs)So clearly Cannonball style NFS still the real root that defined the series rather than what BB did to chase a 17 years old trend.

UG1 was heavily influenced by Midnight Club 1 from 2000 and The Fast and The Furious from 2001.They had their time.Currently Midnight Club is dead and some elements are mixed into GTAOL(also the original MC series developers already left Rockstar after MCLA was done).Fast Furious totally dropped the street racing style and went for big heist action since 2009(As in then Universal official's words-Street racing film can not bring us enough profit and action heist is the new direction of the series)

There is more to why Midnight Club died than it just join into GTA, most rumors points to it due to awful crunch and have many of the devs left the studio. Fast and Furious is a movie, how many street racing story can you even tell? Even with those franchise dead or changed, the demand for street racing is still there, if the demand was never there NFS would have been dead since 2015 if what your claims are true. Also the car culture for customised cars is not slowing down either, everyone is still looking forward to see those customised cars in game.

Speak of custom makes NFS stand out.Currently we also dont have a AAA racing game with a real Be the Cop mode.Which Hot Pursuit can bring back(and judging by rumour/prediction of HP2010 Remastered,it may really come back this year)Back in The NFS 1994,the feature made NFS stood out was police chase,and when 1998 Hot Pursuit 1 came out the Be the Cop mode further improved this feature since from that game we can have 2 different progression with different targets to achieve.Finally HP1 was the first NFS to get racing game of the year prize back in 1998 which also made the series more famous than previous installments.

Nothing stop them to bring back "be the cop" mode again, I have even been saying it should make a return in multiple threads but no one really likes playing cops. In Rivals it is more often to see player racer than cop players while I think HP2010 just randomised it for PvP.

Also the whole hate on car customisation is pointless when it barely did anything gameplay wise but as an extra layer of personality for players to play around. Visual customisation stopped being part of the game progression after Underground 2. There is nothing to stop you from driving your nice clean Lamborghini or Ferrari in newer NFS, the only thing it lacks is better map to include scenic routes.

Removing car customisation won't make it any better but expanding could easily cater for both side. The major difference on the classics and later Black Box games are just the theme and setting, NFS is always more on illegal activity and often involve cops in its gameplay. Ghost seem to tried expanding by giving a more varied environment and car list to try cater to both side but the car list do felt like it cater more to classics than Underground folk.

Also, getting award back in 1998 doesn't really mean anything. If we are going to use awards as direction of games then we should get rid of cops since Forza has been getting it in recent years or turn it into a close track real world series since F1 got racing game of the year last year too. IGN gave Crash Team Racing racing game of the year last year, maybe that is a direction for NFS then?

C:\Users\Andy\AppData\Roaming\Tencent\QQTempSys\%W@GJ$ACOF(TYDYECOKVDYB.png

This video clearly shows MW2005 was HP3 until EA change their plan and UG2 followed UG1 in 2004,which led to the cancel of original custom-chase take turns idea and HP3 itself.So if the orginal plan wasnt changed EA can please both kinds of fans-UG/MW fans and HP/TNFS fans.

There is more to why Midnight Club died than it just join into GTA, most rumors points to it due to awful crunch and have many of the devs left the studio. Fast and Furious is a movie, how many street racing story can you even tell? Even with those franchise dead or changed, the demand for street racing is still there, if the demand was never there NFS would have been dead since 2015 if what your claims are true. Also the car culture for customised cars is not slowing down either, everyone is still looking forward to see those customised cars in game.

Nothing stop them to bring back "be the cop" mode again, I have even been saying it should make a return in multiple threads but no one really likes playing cops. In Rivals it is more often to see player racer than cop players while I think HP2010 just randomised it for PvP.

Also the whole hate on car customisation is pointless when it barely did anything gameplay wise but as an extra layer of personality for players to play around. Visual customisation stopped being part of the game progression after Underground 2. There is nothing to stop you from driving your nice clean Lamborghini or Ferrari in newer NFS, the only thing it lacks is better map to include scenic routes.

Removing car customisation won't make it any better but expanding could easily cater for both side. The major difference on the classics and later Black Box games are just the theme and setting, NFS is always more on illegal activity and often involve cops in its gameplay. Ghost seem to tried expanding by giving a more varied environment and car list to try cater to both side but the car list do felt like it cater more to classics than Underground folk.

Also, getting award back in 1998 doesn't really mean anything. If we are going to use awards as direction of games then we should get rid of cops since Forza has been getting it in recent years or turn it into a close track real world series since F1 got racing game of the year last year too. IGN gave Crash Team Racing racing game of the year last year, maybe that is a direction for NFS then?
Actually Be the Cop mode isn't out of date.The last polished NFS with Be the Cop mode was HP2010,Rivals was rushed and ported to Frostbite with lots of bugs.But even The Crew(from 2015 after Rivals) added Be the Cop mode in Calling All Units DLC.It's EA's daydreaming of recreating sales success of UG1-MW05 led to NFS2015 reboot.And even with better tech and more manpower NFS2015 still being considered as a failure in NFS series.(Both sales and player feedback)Also Heat directly led to the direction change of Ghost(EA Gothenburg) with the ex-Ghost NFS developers moved to Fake Criterion.If this trend NFS is chasing is really welcomed and popular then why EA shut down the developer that delivered what fans wanted?Every NFS made by Ghost(including buggy Rivals) all lacked enough success to save the developer,but since EA is the publisher,I dont think anything other than 10 million+ sales success can save a NFS team.EA is too obessed with the success it got back in mid-2000s.Hence why all 3 NFS since 2015 are either Street Racing like UG/MW or Action Movie like The Run/Undercover.EA is forgetting what started NFS in the first place and fans begging for MW2(Which was Undercover or Carbon as a continuation of MW05)/UG3(which was Carbon original name and what NFS2015 became) only add fire to this situation.

Actually Be the Cop mode isn't out of date.The last polished NFS with Be the Cop mode was HP2010,Rivals was rushed and ported to Frostbite with lots of bugs.But even The Crew(from 2015 after Rivals) added Be the Cop mode in Calling All Units DLC.It's EA's daydreaming of recreating sales success of UG1-MW05 led to NFS2015 reboot.And even with better tech and more manpower NFS2015 still being considered as a failure in NFS series.

I never said it is out of date, it is always a part of the game with lesser players, no one really plays the cop mode in Rivals when I play it back then and same goes to The Crew DLC as well. Also NFS2015 did sold very well for EA, PS4 alone has 9 million owners. Even if we assume half of them are from cheap 50%-75% off discount that is still a lot of units sold for a NFS theme around what you claim "un-NFS". I really doubt Ghost had more man power than what Criterion or even Black Box have back then.

(Both sales and player feedback)Also Heat directly led to the direction change of Ghost(EA Gothenburg) with the ex-Ghost NFS developers moved to Fake Criterion.If this trend NFS is chasing is really welcomed and popular then why EA shut down the developer that delivered what fans wanted?

Here is what GameIndustry.Biz have to say:
However, EA says it has struggled to attract the right talent to Gothenburg to work on the series. By contrast, Criterion is based in Guildford, which is one of the UK's biggest game development hubs.

If they have been struggling to find new talent in Gothenburg for years, why not move the studio to a different place that could easily get more employees? Ghost is pretty small for a AAA studio too.

Source: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...-need-for-speed-development-back-to-criterion

Every NFS made by Ghost(including buggy Rivals) all lacked enough success to save the developer,but since EA is the publisher,I dont think anything other than 10 million+ sales success can save a NFS team.

Considering game studio rarely talk about their final sales, we do know that NFS 2015 has 9 million players on PS4 alone. It has past the 10 million copies and very likely blown past the sales figure EA wanted. Even Heat has a target of 3-4 million copies set by EA and it was mention that the game did achieve EA's goal. If it has failed, it would be dead along side Mass Effect Andromeda and Dead Space franchise.

EA is too obessed with the success it got back in mid-2000s.Hence why all 3 NFS since 2015 are either Street Racing like UG/MW or Action Movie like The Run/Undercover.EA is forgetting what started NFS in the first place and fans begging for MW2(Which was Undercover or Carbon as a continuation of MW05)/UG3(which was Carbon original name and what NFS2015 became) only add fire to this situation.

Considering majority of the fans is begging for those themes and the games did sold well enough to not get shelved, EA is listening to what the majority of fans asking for instead of the minority that demand everything get thrown into thrash for the sake of a classic look that can still be achieve today. Also people are asking those themes because we don't have another game set in those setting, closest we got is the god awful Super Street The Game.

I mean the guys right, the old nfs were the best nfs

That's your opinion, as well as his. Where he, and many others in this thread, get hung up on is thinking that the rose tinted glasses of whatever era of NFS that was the one they first interacted hold up in a modern context enough to hitch the horses to that era completely, when the games have been bouncing back between different eras for years by this point, trying to please everyone and eventually pleasing no one. At what point does the tribalism stop and people realize that the rut the NFS series is in is deeper then simply going back to cops and exotics, or tuners?

There is more to why Midnight Club died than it just join into GTA, most rumors points to it due to awful crunch and have many of the devs left the studio.

That's important, but what's probably more important is that the runaway success of Red Dead Redemption in 2010 (and to an extent, RDR2) basically means that R* San Diego is going to be focused on those series of games for the forseeable future with Red Dead Online, and the inevitable story boarding for a sequel. I'm sure that there's probably a group of people at R* San Diego trying to get their voices heard for a new Midnight Club, but by this point, if you are the heads of the studio, do you go with the safe bet, or do you go with a genre that is finicky and picky at best, especially when the competition is a lot less, and most big name games are done by big game studios?

Finally HP1 was the first NFS to get racing game of the year prize back in 1998 which also made the series more famous than previous installments.

Who the **** cares about an award from twenty years ago by this point other then the context of the game when it came out? Many games have won GOTY awards and have ultimately meant nothing other then winning as a product of hype. See Bioshock Infinite as an example of that.

I'm legitimately laughing at how stuck in the mud that you are thinking that the NFS series lost its way like a wayward lamb because of making the (correct) assumption that the series needed a shake up from the mold it had built itself in, and as a result, built a game that was based off a hot idea, had it work out in spades, and subsequently rode a hot hand into the next decade before it petered out.

When you're done jerking off in front of your shrine to the old Black Box games (and maybe after you learn to write without making me have to squint to look at what amounts to a run on sentence with capitalization abound) then maybe you can examine *why* the NFS series is where it is, and why your fervent militarism in trying to throw it back to the cops and exotics phase of the series is basically perpetuating the problems that the franchise has had really since Hot Pursuit 2010 released.

No the developer defined NFS was EA Canada(Distinctive Games before 1992)They are the original developer that started the whole series.Yes I admit UG1+2/MW05 sold much more copies than EA Canada's games,but if EA Canada didn't continue their Test Drive 1987 style gameplay in TNFS 1994(with cops as new feature)NFS wont even began in the first place.UG1 was a game changed NFS identity not the game started NFS as a series.Also BB wouldnt even have the chance to work on UG1 and later games if they didnt make HP2 PS2 in the first place.It was that game let BB took full control of NFS in 2003-2008(since 2009 we saw games from other devs)So clearly Cannonball style NFS still the real root that defined the series rather than what BB did to chase a 17 years old trend.
The Black Box era may not have defined Need For Speed for you, but you can't downplay the impact it's had on the series since.

To me, the Black Box era DEFINED Need For Speed. Underground 1 and 2 were runaway successes, so it's dumb to suggest that their change of direction was a mistake.
Here we have someone's opinion that they have made based on the information they have available to them.
Notice I bolded "To me" because it is based on his own interpretation of the information available to him (including sales data and personal experiences with the games)

No the developer defined NFS was EA Canada(Distinctive Games before 1992)They are the original developer that started the whole series.
Here we have a response that rejects the opinion, then goes on to ramble about how a different studio started the series.
You may notice, the original quoted post never claims that BlackBox started the series, so why the subsequently quoted post then goes on to inform us of this ... AGAIN ... is really beyond me.
You may also be thinking, hold on, the developer who started a series is not necessarily the developer who defined the series, to which I say, yes you are correct. There is not necessarily a correlation between those starting a series and defining a series.

At least he hasn't resorted back to the "ricer/chav blown motor Honda junk" terminology

...wasn't Black Box basically a subsidiary of EA Canada? If that's the case then all of this is literally semantics, but what do I know, it's not like I was born in Vancouver and know the development scene there as it's gone on...

...wasn't Black Box basically a subsidiary of EA Canada? If that's the case then all of this is literally semantics, but what do I know, it's not like I was born in Vancouver and know the development scene there as it's gone on...
Acquired by Electronic Arts in 2002, the studio was renamed EA Black Box and integrated into EA Canada before it becoming independent from EA Canada again in 2005. In 2003, EA Black Box moved into custom-built space in the top floors of a waterfront high-rise in downtown Vancouver. EA Black Box's main focus has been on the series Need for Speed.

I didn't know this. The majority of Black Box staff never continued on with the NFS series since Ghost was based all the way in Sweden, but a few staffers did. Oddly enough, the Creative Director of Payback (the guy who makes all the game design choices) was in fact a former Black Box employee

What the actual hell. :lol: If I had to guess, that looks like it might he concept art for The Run....?
It was made something around 2007-2008. Could potentially be a pitch and not linked to anything directly, but it's not unheard of to see some more "creative" concepts during that time.

This was somewhere between UG2 and MW.

Need For Speed Hot Pursuit Remastered is sounding ever more likely with a NZ-Owned online retailer putting up listings for the Playstation 4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch:
https://www.thenobeds.com/articles/need-for-speed-hot-pursuit-remaster-listed-by-nz-retailer

Interestingly, the price ($95 NZD) suggests this could retail at full price (£50/$60 USD). For comparison, Burnout Paradise Remastered was around £35 at launch with all the DLC from the original game included.

EDIT: A Nintendo Direct conference has been announced today, I wouldn't be surprised if we hear more about it later on.

Last edited:
Need For Speed Hot Pursuit Remastered is sounding ever more likely with a NZ-Owned online retailer putting up listings for the Playstation 4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch:
https://www.thenobeds.com/articles/need-for-speed-hot-pursuit-remaster-listed-by-nz-retailer

Interestingly, the price ($95 NZD) suggests this could retail at full price (£50/$60 USD). For comparison, Burnout Paradise Remastered was around £35 at launch with all the DLC from the original game included.

EDIT: A Nintendo Direct conference has been announced today, I wouldn't be surprised if we hear more about it later on.
Please dear god be true, this would be the best thing to happen during this terrible year and would bring NFS back to being good :D

I would play this non stop, just like I did with the original one, and just thinking of playing it on my One X makes me almost cry of happiness :D

Why I feel like all of these people asking for a new Hot Pursuit/Underground/Most Wanted and arguing over which developer is the best or who defined NFS don't fully understand what made those games the way they were in the first place?

I liked a little bit of Hot Pursuit 3, The Run and Most Wanted 2012.

Neither one of them excelled past the others, but I enjoyed some of the ideas presented in each one.

All I want the most out of it all is an online experience so polished and thought out that it doesn't go stale so quickly. I've logged the most time playing race modes in Hot Pursuit, but it didn't take long for people to learn which cars were the easiest to win with, making every online race extremely, extremely, stagnant.

Yes, bring it on. Loved this game to bits.

Back