Early Access First Impressions & Feedback

• Thread starter th3o
  • 230 comments
Just finally played this for the first time since a session or two way back when there was only one car. I stuck with the same thing as you had to do back then just because it seemed appropriate. It did seem to feel a little better and some of the refinements they've added are nice.

I do have a couple of questions though, one of which bugged me even back then.

Am I correct that still after all this time it is not possible to map any controls to the keyboard? I couldn't find a way. It's rather annoying having to skip half of the controls once you run out of buttons on the wheel. It still says "full gamepad and keyboard controls will be added in a later version." I'm not sure if that just means more driving customization for those things or if it will also bring the basic ability to be able to map all of the controls. Obviously driving is the most important thing and is best with a wheel anyway but this doesn't seem like the sort of thing that would have been completely left until the final release. I'd have expected them to have implemented more advanced driving options for the other control methods by now too, since some people will want to use them.

Also, I had enabled the clutch this time and is it normal that even on manual it is still a completely automatic clutch between parked and 40km/h? Once you are going faster than that the clutch works but there isn't exactly a whole lot of reason to use the clutch in one of these things above that speed. It mentions that you have to worry about stalling if you set it to manual but that seems to be an impossibility right now... as is doing a quick 180 if you spin out.

Just finally played this for the first time since a session or two way back when there was only one car. I stuck with the same thing as you had to do back then just because it seemed appropriate. It did seem to feel a little better and some of the refinements they've added are nice.

I do have a couple of questions though, one of which bugged me even back then.

Am I correct that still after all this time it is not possible to map any controls to the keyboard? I couldn't find a way. It's rather annoying having to skip half of the controls once you run out of buttons on the wheel. It still says "full gamepad and keyboard controls will be added in a later version." I'm not sure if that just means more driving customization for those things or if it will also bring the basic ability to be able to map all of the controls. Obviously driving is the most important thing and is best with a wheel anyway but this doesn't seem like the sort of thing that would have been completely left until the final release. I'd have expected them to have implemented more advanced driving options for the other control methods by now too, since some people will want to use them.

Also, I had enabled the clutch this time and is it normal that even on manual it is still a completely automatic clutch between parked and 40km/h? Once you are going faster than that the clutch works but there isn't exactly a whole lot of reason to use the clutch in one of these things above that speed. It mentions that you have to worry about stalling if you set it to manual but that seems to be an impossibility right now... as is doing a quick 180 if you spin out.

If the Real Car has an Auto Clutch as in the real life street car does, So will the Race Car. Also Real Race cars often to loose power and stall on a big spin.....as it does in ACC.

If the Real Car has an Auto Clutch as in the real life street car does, So will the Race Car. Also Real Race cars often to loose power and stall on a big spin.....as it does in ACC.

I might just be good at managing not to stall when spinning then perhaps. It usually only got to the point where it "should" have stalled when I was already going fairly slow the times I did spin -- and I do tend to instinctively hit the clutch(even in games where there isn't one :) ).

However, if what you say is true, then they will hopefully change the description in the full release update to something other than "Automatic clutch mode operates the clutch automatically when the car is stopped or starts from a standstill. By doing so, it protects the engine from stalling. It changes to automatic mode if engine start is also set to automatic. Manual clutch setting will let you operate the clutch manually during starts or when the car is stopped with a gear engaged. Failing to operate the clutch correctly will result in the car stalling." That makes it sound(and seems pretty clear) as if the manual clutch will always actually require you to use the clutch manually when starting and stopping. Obviously a lot of those help messages are incomplete too so they'll be updated.

I honestly don't know whether [some or all] GT3 cars require the driver to use the clutch when at a standstill in gear like I've seen other paddle-shift cars or not. I guess I'll find out over time if it's just some of them that work that way.

To the controller people: What settings are you guys using?
my settings are very sensitive but I personally prefer it so it might not work that well for everyone

Speed sensitivity: 50%
Steer filter: 70%
Steer gamma: 1.5
Steer speed: 100%

I might just be good at managing not to stall when spinning then perhaps. It usually only got to the point where it "should" have stalled when I was already going fairly slow the times I did spin -- and I do tend to instinctively hit the clutch(even in games where there isn't one :) ).

However, if what you say is true, then they will hopefully change the description in the full release update to something other than "Automatic clutch mode operates the clutch automatically when the car is stopped or starts from a standstill. By doing so, it protects the engine from stalling. It changes to automatic mode if engine start is also set to automatic. Manual clutch setting will let you operate the clutch manually during starts or when the car is stopped with a gear engaged. Failing to operate the clutch correctly will result in the car stalling." That makes it sound(and seems pretty clear) as if the manual clutch will always actually require you to use the clutch manually when starting and stopping. Obviously a lot of those help messages are incomplete too so they'll be updated.

I honestly don't know whether [some or all] GT3 cars require the driver to use the clutch when at a standstill in gear like I've seen other paddle-shift cars or not. I guess I'll find out over time if it's just some of them that work that way.

"if what i say is true".....Fact, Lambo doesn't have a clutch IRL, so why would it in game ? im failing to see your point here, Technically sure they could add it to blog post with instructions/details per car, being that each and every car has something Very Unique and special about it, be it a suspension/Aero/Engine/Electronics Advantage/Disadvantage ect ect So there will be lots to tell, Go check out a few of the Blog posts on the AC forum from Aris on particular cars and its features.

Counting the days till May 29th. Crazy that a game that matters to me so much gets almost zero attention by the gaming press and generates pretty much no hype at all. I think Kunos really needs to bring this to consoles to get more attention and success, however, they are in a difficult spot right now with the base consoles not up to the ACC task and the next-gen consoles still at least 12-16 months away. The interview by race department with Marco pretty much confirmes that they want to bring it to consoles, but i think its safe to say its not possible right now.

Counting the days till May 29th. Crazy that a game that matters to me so much gets almost zero attention by the gaming press and generates pretty much no hype at all. I think Kunos really needs to bring this to consoles to get more attention and success, however, they are in a difficult spot right now with the base consoles not up to the ACC task and the next-gen consoles still at least 12-16 months away. The interview by race department with Marco pretty much confirmes that they want to bring it to consoles, but i think its safe to say its not possible right now.

It got way too much hype before Early Access. And this had bad consequences in the long run.

It got way too much hype before Early Access. And this had bad consequences in the long run.

In the sim community, maybe. But not really by the broader gaming audience. Everytime i see something ACC related on Instagram, most comments are "is this coming to PS4?" etc. People dont really know much about it.

And i dont know about you but i think this is an outstanding sim. It deserves more recognition, at least when it will release in a solid state - next week we will see.

It's a niche within a niche within a niche (racing game > hardcore sim > single discipline > PC only). Of course it's not going to light up the news boards. I think among its target audience it's done well enough. The original AC was a masterstroke despite being sim because of its sandbox nature, and even then I don't think it did well on consoles either.

It's a niche within a niche within a niche (racing game > hardcore sim > single discipline > PC only). Of course it's not going to light up the news boards. I think among its target audience it's done well enough. The original AC was a masterstroke despite being sim because of its sandbox nature, and even then I don't think it did well on consoles either.

I think Marco from Kunos said they sold as much on console as on PC. Surprising, for sure, but the console market is huge. Basically the console version helped funding ACC.

"if what i say is true".....Fact, Lambo doesn't have a clutch IRL, so why would it in game ? im failing to see your point here, Technically sure they could add it to blog post with instructions/details per car, being that each and every car has something Very Unique and special about it, be it a suspension/Aero/Engine/Electronics Advantage/Disadvantage ect ect So there will be lots to tell, Go check out a few of the Blog posts on the AC forum from Aris on particular cars and its features.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean the "If what you say is true" bit to say that I was doubting you. I just meant that it's not something I had specific knowledge of(and was too lazy to confirm myself) so I was taking your word for it as fact. I also have trouble understanding why the clutch would work at high speed but not at low speed or standstill which is what made me assume something might be wrong.

I do still think that the description should at least note that if the real car has no manual clutch ability neither will the racecar(instead of clearly stating the opposite), but that's just me. I tend to get annoyed when things like that are not explained in a game. Obviously all cars have many differences, but differences that directly affect the basic methods of driving should show up somewhere in the game. It's a bit awkward if you don't know that one car has KERS or DRS when others don't for example... or if it will take off from a standstill when you rev it up while holding the clutch in. I thought it was still standard practice to have a clutch button of some sort in racecars with no pedal but I know things change.

Anyway, this all just came from a whiny rant when I got unneccessarily annoyed about a silly minor thing in a video game.

I think SRO money helped funding ACC. They for sure got some coin from Stephane Ratel to recreate Blancpain GT Series in a racing game.

Yeah, i would think so, too. But the official version wont confirm this.

Anyways, the big day has come. Anyone here able to check if ver. 1.0 has arrived yet?

German streamers will start their coverage at 5 / 7 pm so im affraid this update will drop late, like the previous ones.

I downloaded and installed Assetto Corza Competizione, from Steam, and coudn't find the G29, at all, tried all I know ( been a racing player for more than 25 years ), so because of none, I requested for reimburse... and uninstalled it....

I downloaded and installed Assetto Corza Competizione, from Steam, and coudn't find the G29, at all, tried all I know ( been a racing player for more than 25 years ), so because of none, I requested for reimburse... and uninstalled it....

I used the G29 in this title for a couple of months. It is a wide spread wheel and of course the game supports it. Dont know where the issue is in your case...

I used the G29 in this title for a couple of months. It is a wide spread wheel and of course the game supports it. Dont know where the issue is in your case...
Thanks, I'll give a Go in the future, I'm still playing Dirt4, PC2, Still like Shift1 & 2....

Yesterday, just downloaded Forza Motorsport 7... I'm kinda playing a little bit of every game, The Shifts, I have completed them several times...

Back