Economy Car Fun :)

  • Thread starter Thread starter 95GTIVR6
  • 46 comments
  • 2,317 views

95GTIVR6

Rice, I love it.
Premium
Messages
825
United States
Charlotte, NC
Messages
CosmicMS3
Messages
I2valve
Well, It has been quite a while since I have driven the first car I purchased in my latest game of GT4; so last night I decided to re-live the experience. I journeyed to Arcade Mode and hopped in a 1978 Mitsubishi Mirage 1400GLX.

If you have never driven one of these then you don't know what you are missing! It has 4 gears and only 81 horses but this thing can handle quite well. I equipped the Comfort tires and first took it on the Driving Park Beginners Course. While some of you may find this track dull and mind numbing, I personally found this track to be VERY helpful in establishing the right amount of throttle control and torque steer this car has to offer.

After a good 15 minutes of competing against the clock, my best lap I could achieve was a 32.136. Then I moved up in difficulty and "putted" the car right next door to "Motorland". This track is uber-fun in the Mirage. The corners must be taken very carefully to ensure a good lap time. I believe that overall my final lap time after 15 minutes was 56.518.

ANYWAYS! Long story short. I was wondering if someone (or anyone) on the forum likes taking sub-100hp cars around the smaller tracks offered my GT4? The economy-type tires allow for great feedback from the car and they take more skill to drive. I really encourage you to take the time to get into these low-powered monsters.....err.....auto's and improve your skills on tracks that may seem obsolete but offer many rewards in the long run.

SO! Post your favorite sub-100hp vehicles to drive and why you love them.
200px-1978_Mitsubishi_Mirage.jpg
 
You're not the only fan of these little 'beasties', I love a lot of the lower power cars as they demand (as you say) great throttle control to keep the momentum up and get a good lap time.

Its very, very satisfying when you get into the 'zone' with one.

As far as a favorite goes, mine would have to be the Mazda Autozam AZ-1, 64bhp stock and it struggles to get much past 125bhp fully tuned.

To find out why I love it some much have a read of this

Scaff's Mazda Autozam AZ-1

Regards

Scaff
 
As I´m currently on the quest to testdrive all cars, I´ve driven a few of the lowerpowered cars aswell, like the Daihatsus and the Fiats, The Fiat 500R is quite fun, at least on Citta Di Aria, and the Daihatsu Sirions are very nimble cars, that handles surprisingly well.
 
I like the Subaru 360.But i wish it made a 142HP at 8100RPM like in GT2.
 
I was a big fan of the Lupo Cup car in GT3, and I've had great fun with mt Lupo 1.4 prize car from the B license. I used it to run a couple of Beginner series, and lately I ran it (at around 130 hp) in the Expert level World Compact Car race. Mine is bright blue, and I scored a set of bright green 5-spoke wheels from a JGTC car in the Daily Special section. It looks great and is a hoot to drive.

Momentum cars can be greatly rewarding, and the only shame is that so many of them are FWD.
 
Autobianchi A112S Abarth: Lack of weight, good handling and high top speed makes a car that is legitmately fast and not just novel. Like an Italian Mini. It even looks like one. And the exhaust...raw and loud. 👍
 
Being the honda guy that I am, I must say that the 1983 civic hatch back is a great car to take around the ring stock or near stock. It has 98hp, 5 gears and is a decent handling car. 4th gear could be shorter but there is only one place on the track where that really becomes a problem. The high speed section just before the karrusel. Other then that this is one of my favorite cars in gt4.

The 1983 CRX isnt bad either. It has 108hp and weighs the same as the hatch.
 
Sub-100hp is hard for me to decide on.
After looking thinking about it for a bit, I think my favorite sub-100hp car would be the "Spitfire."

However, if I was given a little extra room for hp the 120hp Lotus Elise Type 72 would definately be my choice.

I enjoy that car on motorland, autum ring mini, and grand valley east.

On a side note though, I just want to mention that I don't think it takes "more skill" to drive on the econo/ comfort/ road tires.

Just my opinion here, but the McLaren F1 at the Ring on R5s is harder than the elise (or any low hp car) at a small track.

Of course, like I said, that's all just a matter of opinion. :cheers:
 
Kent
However, if I was given a little extra room for hp the 120hp Lotus Elise Type 72 would definately be my choice.

I enjoy that car on motorland, autum ring mini, and grand valley east.

I love that car as well, perfectly neutral.

As for a sub-100HP car; I'd have to say the Ginetta G4, a crazy little car.
 
Vonie
I love that car as well, perfectly neutral.

As for a sub-100HP car; I'd have to say the Ginetta G4, a crazy little car.

Indeed, and actually, the Ginetta was the first car that came to mind.

However, when it actually came time to drive the car I wasn't as excited about it as I was the Spitfire... Nothing to do with the way it handles or anything (the Ginetta is the better car).

However, the "spit" has character to it and a sort of everyday real world appeal that I don't find with too many of the old cars in the game.

You've gotta love the fact that you can still see spitfires on the road to this day. 👍
 
old beetle, Fabricia Italiana Automobilo Torino (aka FIAT) 500R, Triumph Spitfire, Honda beat and Mazda Autozam AZ-1.. just the beginning of the list. :lol:
 
I took that old bettle and ran low 13s with it in the quater. :lol:
 
MY favorites: Suzuki Cappuccino

Mazda AZ1

Daihatsu Midget II (my old rally beast) :sly:

Honda S500,S600,S800/race S800

Triumph Spitfire

Honda Today G (my new rally beast) :sly:
 
RICHARDO
MY favorites: Suzuki Cappuccino

Mazda AZ1

Daihatsu Midget II (my old rally beast) :sly:

Honda S500,S600,S800/race S800

Triumph Spitfire

Honda Today G (my new rally beast) :sly:

So do all the Evo and STi owners laugh at you much? :lol:
 
Ebiggs
So do all the Evo and STi owners laugh at you much? :lol:

Only on the straights, in the corners, I'm the one laughing. :) Nothing feels better than owning a EVO or STi on a tight course like Autumn Ring Mini in a Honda Today! 👍
 
I agree with that,look at this. :)
 
I'm all for the underdog, but how does a Honda Life with a huge wing that problably weighs more than the car beat a Lancia Delta Intergrale? :lol: You must have some serious talent as a driver.
 
The quick answer being the lancia has no power to speak of :lol:


Its not really along the lines of the ultra low hp cars but I find the non turbo silvia Q's to be great fun. The CA18 model is slightly better then the SR20 but both are great fun.
 
RICHARDO
Honda Today G (my new rally beast) :sly:

I am going to HAVE to try that one out. Nothing better than obliterating cars with engines twice your size!!!! Horray 0.5L L2 SOHC :dopey:


^And as for the '88 Silvia Q's, I am NOT a big fan. Maybe it is because I like the 2.0's better but the '88 doesnt seem geared right for the amount of power it makes. It handles well but I would personally like more power in a 2dr RWD Coupe.
 
Mazda AZ-1 Beacause i just love it
 
And as for the '88 Silvia Q's, I am NOT a big fan. Maybe it is because I like the 2.0's better but the '88 doesnt seem geared right for the amount of power it makes. It handles well but I would personally like more power in a 2dr RWD Coupe.

I say the '88 is better then the '91 because its lighter and the power potential is about the same. The handling is pretty nice for both and they look great without that little wing. what part of the gearing doesnt feel right? I dont think its that bad... It'll do 130mph.
 
THE ED3
I say the '88 is better then the '91 because its lighter and the power potential is about the same. The handling is pretty nice for both and they look great without that little wing. what part of the gearing doesnt feel right? I dont think its that bad... It'll do 130mph.

I dunno, its been a while since I've actually driven it. I just remember that last time I drove it on the Nurburgring, I didn't feel that it had what I was looking for. Maybe I am mistaken and should re-drive it or maybe I was expecting something along the lines of the '91 K's.
 
I havent driven it around the ring yet. I like driving at the highspeed ring a lot and it handles very well around there.
 
Maybe,but i like to take my SPORTS 800 and beat the Corvette's:sly:
 
I just drove the sports 800 the other day. Its wasnt half bad.
 
THE ED3
I just drove the sports 800 the other day. Its wasnt half bad.

I like how you say that when you are sporting that avatar LOL! Im not a huge fan of hondas but I found the Beat to be an exciting ride.
 
Just beacause I dislike a company and love their direct rivals doesnt mean I cant give a tiny bit of credit where credit is due... just as long as they still get their ass kicked at the track by Honda toyota can make some interesting little cars...

My version of the sports 800 has 66hp and weighs 527kg so I'm not exactly driving it stock either... But it is a cute little go cart.

I have been driving the base model lotus elise with mild modifications. Its a very solid little light weight screamer. My verson has 125hp and only weighs 649kg. It doesnt have the power to keep up with the bigger elises on the straights but it grips like all hell in the corners.

other decent small cars I would recomend are the Daihatsu copen with the detachable top and the '97 AWD move by the same company. I have not driven the newer model but its a bit heavier then the older model. The older fwd model is also ok but is clearly lacking in some areas. The storia is also a fun car. the turbo model is fun stock and the other two models with slight work are also good fun I would think.

If you want a tough looking small car with a little performance, the suzuki Kei works isnt a bad little car... I have not driven their MR wagen sport but it has the same specs +40kg so might be a decent drive for the class.

The honda fit is also fun but it uses a cvt transmission as well so the must be changed to really have a feel for the car.

I have not yet driven the street tune nissan micra but I have driven the race model. If they share the same chassis I'd say its a nice little car. I would recomend staying away from the cube.

I have not driven the new mazda demio but the older model is a fun car to drive.

The vw lupo and polo gti's look like they may be fun although I have driven neither yet. The older golf isnt a bad car either. I drove one of a short bit. I recomend staying away from the standard new bettle as it doesnt have enough power to pull its massive weight around.

If it is a mini you want, I recomend the standard cooper. The s model while a decent standard car doesnt have the power potential as the non S model as it can not be turbocharged like the lower model can be. The Mini one is also not a bad car although it needs a little more power.

The caterham super 7 is a very fun car as well. its SUPER LIGHT. I recomend adding a supercharger with S3 tires to have a real blast. just stay away from the engine ballencing on this car as it ruins the powerband.

I have not yet driven the ford Ka but it looks a decent little car.

I recomend staying away from both scions at least in stock form as they feel rather uninspired.

The eagle talon while it has a bit more then 100hp is a fun car as well. It was one of the first cars I drove in gt4 before I bought the game.

The fiat 500 series is a fun car as well.

I do not like the honda today but the honda city turbo 2 is a nice fun car.

I have not driven the nissan exa. it looks butt ugly and doesnt impress me. has anyone else tried it?

Another car that is rather fun is the volvo 240glt wagon.

I enjoy the mazda autozam az-1. it is a decent platform.

The honda beat however is slightly lacking is stock form.

I do not recomend the toyota sera. it feels sloppy and uninspired.

The opel Tigra I have not driven in gt4 but it seems a decent car and wasnt that bad in gt2...

The last car I am going to mention is the toyota vitz which I recomend staying away from. the car in most stock forms doesnt feel all that special. the turbo model is a bit better if you want a stock car...

and with that I conclude my long, worthless list of cars more of less around 100hp that are or can be rather fun to drive. I hope you still have some IQ points after reading this.
 
i think i will gonna drive the Honda S800
 
The S800 isnt bad its a fun little car.

I forgot the mention the isuzu bellett 1600 gtr. its a nice little car as well. the 117 coupe isnt bad but it isnt as good as the bellett.

the toyota celica ta22 can be a fun car as well.

how is the mazda carol? I have not yet driven it.

I also forgot the mitsubishi lancer 1600 gsr. that is a fun little car. not much grunt but very decent for an older car.

One classic car I like is the honda 1300 coupe 9 s. it is a very fun classic car that I recomend trying.
 
THE ED3
One classic car I like is the honda 1300 coupe 9 s. it is a very fun classic car that I recomend trying.

Dispite having relativley no torque at all, this car IS fun to drive. For some reason, when I modified this car it always wanted to do a FWD drift.....of in other words......ass dragging. It is fun though.
 
Back