Economy system is a piece of ****!

• Thread starter Mark IV
  • 419 comments

He didn't say anything that was indicative of needing a source, he gave a level subjective observation on the current state of gaming. I'd agree with him to an extent, I've played GT since the first game and with each iteration grinding has had a near exponential evolution of grinding. I think it's become the most vocal since GT6 though and still seems to be an attractive point of discussion and debate. I also think that @VeeDoubleU has a point that it should have probably never been that way, and it was easier to ignore in the past because the rewards were beyond just credits.

I think beyond that, people now days (not all here) want or need everything up front or they're quickly dissuaded because they have to grind and keep doing repetitive game play before they can do actual fulfilling game play.

He didn't say anything that was indicative of needing a source, he gave a level subjective observation on the current state of gaming. I'd agree with him to an extent, I've played GT since the first game and with each iteration grinding has had a near exponential evolution of grinding. I think it's become the most vocal since GT6 though and still seems to be an attractive point of discussion and debate. I also think that @VeeDoubleU has a point that it should have probably never been that way, and it was easier to ignore in the past because the rewards were beyond just credits.

I think beyond that, people now days (not all here) want or need everything up front or they're quickly dissuaded because they have to grind and keep doing repetitive game play before they can do actual fulfilling game play.
"Is representative of modern gamers" is not a subjective statement. It absolutely states that modern gamers have an "'I want it now' mentality". That this thread is evidence of that is the only part that he could've meant subjectively.

My source is... that one time when the entire internet literally **** itself because EA made you grind for ~8 hours to unlock Darth Vader in Battlefront II.

There's a bit of a chicken <-> egg scenario at work here. Did instant gratification necessitate MicroTransactions, or, is it the other way around? No matter. here we are...

Last edited by a moderator:
40 hours of grinding

Oh look, I provided a source.

40 hours with Challenge credits + level up rewards notwithstanding

You can get your first hero in 6-10 hours, and the cheaper heroes in less time than that.

I don't disagree with the gamers side re:Gamers v EA, but this whole post is sensationalist.

My source is... that one time when the entire internet literally **** itself because EA made you grind for ~8 hours to unlock Darth Vader in Battlefront II.
It's not correct to say the issue many had with grinding in Battlefront is evidence of the "'I want it now' mentality of the modern gamer". All we know is that a lot of people thought the grind required too much game time. Also, many suspected that the creators purposely made the grind so long to effectively force people to spend additional money.

To be perfectly honest, those of us looking for increased payouts in Sport mode are aware that the current META earners would still be the quickest way to get all the cars. This thread is not representative of the mentality that you think has engulfed modern gamers.

Well...
Apparently the original poster is no longer with us.
I am not a gamer, so I am assuming completionist is someone who wants to win everything available in a game and move on. Nothing wrong with that.
My outsider opinion is that I play games for fun. I like that It’s hard to earn credits. It’s hard to earn money in racing irl. If the game had some simple hack to do to earn what you want everyone would do it.
What’s the value in that? Might as well provide a cheat code to get all trophies and achievements. That would not require effort or skill so what good is it?
Also, my coworker invented his way to make money since he’s had the game less time and doesn’t get much seat time. He played an old version of GranTurismo and for me this is my first title. He has owned the ps4 with only this game (purchased it just for gt due to coworkers p,paying online and being left out) less than a year.
He found using custom race ways to grind a LOT of cash with a race win. He was doing speedways at first then he got bored. He does gardens a certain way and earns dough pretty well, but he has fun while doing it.
Personally I play for fun not like my life depends on getting a certain trophy or car, I buy cars I race with so I don’t care much about earning money myself. I don’t grind. I have never entered a GT League event.
I think it would cheapen the titles quality if gamers who don’t know about cars could just come in and win.
I cannot compete in any online game or even use a controller successfully for a couple personal reasons, however I can use a wheel and apply my real world knowledge to this game and I am top 7 percent in region right now.
I think that’s cool. Anything easy is worthless imo.
It’s just my opinion, to me as a middle aged person, I view much of these pissing threads as first world problems to quote weird al.
The preceding is simply my opinion and I am not gonna argue I am right. Just posted to express my thoughts.
Have good times.

That would not require effort or skill so what good is it?
The meta earners require very little effort or skill.

don’t know about cars could just come in and win.
As it is one doesn't need to know about cars to win.
Anything easy is worthless imo.
The meta earners are easy.
, I view much of these pissing threads as first world problems to quote weird al.
There's no doubt about that. We are talking about a PS4 game after all. Every time someone criticises this, or any game, it's first world problems.

The preceding is simply my opinion and I am not gonna argue I am right.
I respect that. I just wanted to point out some things worth considering.

There's a bit of a chicken <-> egg scenario at work here. Did instant gratification necessitate MicroTransactions, or, is it the other way around? No matter. here we are...
In the old school days the instant gratification came via cheat codes. Now the cheat codes are available for $8.99 in the PSN store.

The GTS economy is not broken because it is very healthy. What is wrong with grinding or rubber banding in this game, nothing is wrong by doing what I have just said. It is really sad to see some players complain that they want better payouts so they can get things a lot quicker
This is a game you know and you got to play the game over time, and if you want the expensive cars in the game you have to earn them by doing some grinding or rubber banding or do what ever you like to do, but you are going to get there.

A few months when I got all the cars in the game and at the time and I also got to level 50. I just sat down and I had a cold beer and said, boy what a grind but I enjoyed that what I achieved. Whether it is grinding or rubber banding and who gives a dam on what you do, you are going to get there :). These 7 expensive cars I got them mainly through grinding and rubber banding, and that is ok to do that and it took me some time but I got there. I wanted them 7 cars but I did not have to do the grind or rubber banding but I did, but it is up to you on what you want to do.

The credit payouts are very good in this game, with the amount of cars that we have got. So if you are starting this game in the last couple of month you are going to have a problem, if you want all of the cars in the game, and coming on this forum complaining about PD needs to increased the credit payouts is wrong.
If there is an update that comes with cars that cost 20 million credits, it does not take long to grind or rubber banding to get one.

You need to grind to win credits and if you don't grind, well the credits are not going to come to you are they, and that is kind of stupid but that what some players want in this game.
Literally EVERYTHING you post is invalidated by you admission of rubber banding. That defines the economy as broken.

It is perfectly okay for you to be happy with the game in its current state just as it is perfectly okay for me to point out what I think is wrong with it.

Last edited:
I think it would cheapen the titles quality if gamers who don’t know about cars could just come in and win.

The thing is with very little time, anybody can just come in and win. So yea the games quality is cheapened by the games meta earners being in GT league.

Sport mode players should be getting a much larger credit payout than someone who just races GT League with bad AI, or even lobby races.

I don't know how some people have the patience to do one race over and over. But grinding like that seems to be a popular thing in many games these days, like in the Division or Destiny where they encourage players to do the same **** over and over while also needing to land a lot of hits on an enemy to kill them.

It's not about being lazy and wanting everything quickly, there is just no substance in that kind of gameplay.

Last edited:
Sport mode players should be getting a much larger credit payout than someone who just races GT League with bad AI, or even lobby races.

I don't know how some people have the patience to do one race over and over. But grinding like that seems to be a popular thing in many games these days, like in the Division or Destiny where they encourage players to do the same **** over and over while also needing to land a lot of hits on an enemy to kill them.

It's not about being lazy and wanting everything quickly, there is just no substance in that kind of gameplay.
You know why Sport Mode players want larger credit payouts, is because they want to do the same race over and over, and get plenty of credits to get the most expensive cars a lot quicker.
The game economy is very good and there is no need to have bigger payouts, for the amount of cars in the game. The 7 of the most expensive cars are not hard to get, and you do not have to get them straight away but some players do want them now. This is a game to play over time and not in a few days.

You know why Sport Mode players want larger credit payouts, is because they want to do the same race over and over, and get plenty of credits to get the most expensive cars a lot quicker.
The game economy is very good and there is no need to have bigger payouts, for the amount of cars in the game. The 7 of the most expensive cars are not hard to get, and you do not have to get them straight away but some players do want them now. This is a game to play over time and not in a few days.
Says the guy who got to level 50 and all the cars through glitches With in two months.

Reply and ignore now ford. Reply and ignore.

This is a game to play over time and not in a few days.
Which has exactly nothing to do with the game economy.

I've put hundreds of hours each into PC, PC2 and AC; not one of which requires you to unlock/buy a single car or track.

The argument that a title has no long term play-ability if it doesn't have a progression system that forces car purchases simply isn't a valid one.

I have played every GT since the first that was available to me and I have never had to grind as much as I have had to in this one. The joy I get from these games is driving different cars on different tracks and this game more than any other GT has had me driving the same course with the same car over and over just so I could get to drive the cars I wanted to. If you look at previous GT’s the payouts were better and I see some people on here saying that’s because there were more cars. That is true but the total cost of those cars were similar to this game because most of that car cost was the same expensive cars that are in this game.

If I raced Blue Moon as much as you troll, I'd have all the $20 million cars too :lol:

I have played every GT since the first that was available to me and I have never had to grind as much as I have had to in this one. The joy I get from these games is driving different cars on different tracks and this game more than any other GT has had me driving the same course with the same car over and over just so I could get to drive the cars I wanted to.

No doubt the smaller (if expanding) track selection makes things feel more repetitive - though I suspect grinders would still grind whatever the META combo was.

No doubt the smaller (if expanding) track selection makes things feel more repetitive - though I suspect grinders would still grind whatever the META combo was.
Whenever you have leveling in a game the game becomes about leveling. It happened with GT5 and with this. I suppose it was understandable initially given the limited contact but we have got well passed that point now.

They should start awarding cars for completing events now. They can award the halo cars for endurance races. As long as they keep adding cars they can keep adding events to win them.

What y'all need to realize is Gran Turismo Sport as a GAAS title. The one thing all GAAS titles have in common is in game credits are not so easily obtained in abundance. Stop thinking of this game as the old GT its not.

What y'all need to realize is Gran Turismo Sport as a GAAS title. The one thing all GAAS titles have in common is in game credits are not so easily obtained in abundance. Stop thinking of this game as the old GT its not.

The other thing they have in common is they have a way to be updated, which developers can use to react to audience behaviours and deliver events and features that nurture long-term engagement.

So in essence conversations like this are vital to the improvement of the game, a bit like how GT league wasn’t there one day, then it was.

Exactly... Once PD decided that this game was a complete break from previous GT titles, that's IT..!

It should be a complete break from previous games. PD decided to join AC and PC2 and most other serious sim titles in making the focus of this game racing, not Pokemon 'Gotta get them all' collection games. No used car dealership. Just racing.

In that context, unicorn cars are an anathema. AC and PC2 are strictly racing focused titles. Hence, no locked cars or tracks.

If PD wanted to validate their game while retaining the unicorn car concept, the acquisition of that unicorn should come from clean racing. Against humans, not the acknowledged worst, easiest to beat AI on the planet. How would the player base feel about the credits being biased to consecutive online 'Clean Races'?

I can hear the howling now!

Last edited:
Fortunately for me, GTS is not like PC2 or AC. AC appears to be too sim, and I never gave PC2 a glance after not liking the first one.

I actually didn't care for having access to all the cars from the get go. Left me nothing to shoot for, plus it gave the feeling of rental cars, and no ownership. Probably sounds stupid to a lot of people, but that was my take on it.

As I've stated in here already. I don't really mind the way GTS is now. I don't have to have every car, I bought the last one to stay off the credit limit, and I do the minimum amount of racing.

MMX
Fortunately for me, GTS is not like PC2 or AC. AC appears to be too sim, and I never gave PC2 a glance after not liking the first one.

I actually didn't care for having access to all the cars from the get go. Left me nothing to shoot for, plus it gave the feeling of rental cars, and no ownership. Probably sounds stupid to a lot of people, but that was my take on it.

As I've stated in here already. I don't really mind the way GTS is now. I don't have to have every car, I bought the last one to stay off the credit limit, and I do the minimum amount of racing.

Curious as to what you do with the game, then?

You do realize that most race drivers don't own their race car? At the professional level, team owners hire them to race. If hired to drive it, it matters not whether it's a Fiat500 or an XJ-13. The achievement for drivers is winning the race.

MMX
I had the same feeling in GTS, as i was given more cars i could test... After quickly golding all the licenses i couldn't tell which car i liked the most, or which car to buy next as my garage was already full of unused cars, and still is.

I don't feel bad that I have yet to test and drive every car in PC2 yet. As I dial in each car, I move on to the next, without having to grind for days before I can even start. There are whole groups I haven't touched.

But none of my time has been diverted from racing and tuning by a mindless grind to acquire them. That is time better spent, IMHO.

If you are confused about which car you like the most, write down your lap times!

Back