Economy system is a piece of ****!

• Thread starter Mark IV
  • 419 comments
Ah yes, Gran Turismo, that game where you can also sell cars you have been rewarded.
You can't sell gift cars, but if they give you one that you previously bought, you can sell the former one.
And a GR1-GR2-GR3-GR4 can give you from 125 to 300k, or so, which isn't bad

Also reminder for those who complain.... Older GT games didnt even give you a gift car just for doing a bunch of km/miles

You can't sell gift cars, but if they give you one that you previously bought, you can sell the former one.

Wow really, I never knew that??!!!!! /s

And getting free cars for doing nothing of any achievement (the daily workout) is also something I'm not a fan of y'know? I can criticise the game economy, and also be opposed to just being given free stuff for driving for 10-20 minutes.

Both contribute to the pointless multiples of cars.

I want to get stuff for rewarding experiences, and through skillful challenges. Not just grinding to certain amounts of credits, or gaining free cars for minimal driving. This is why I suggest increasing the payouts for Sport Mode, which is much more challenging and theoretically more rewarding than any single player event.

@fordlaser you continuously say 'oh people should stop wanting everything now for nothing' BUT THAT IS NOT WHAT PEOPLE ARE SUGGESTING. Your lack of ability to listen to what others are saying, and becoming a repeating record player, is incredibly poor.

We don't want stuff for nothing. We want stuff for overcoming challenges and doing skillful activities. Which, is actually the opposite of wanting stuff instantly for nothing.

Last edited:
I want to get stuff for rewarding experiences, and through skillful challenges. Not just grinding to certain amounts of credits, or gaining free cars for minimal driving. This is why I suggest increasing the payouts for Sport Mode, which is much more challenging and theoretically more rewarding than any single player event.
People then would complain that those skillful challenges are too hard and they want it easier. xD
Also if you increase payouts for Sport Mode, then I suspect a lot more players will have the "win at all costs" attitude, which could be a problem (more dirty players and more crazyness)

People then would complain that those skillful challenges are too hard and they want it easier. xD

Good. Maybe harder challenges would actually help everyone improve on basics such as racing lines, and help promote better and closer racing at all matchmaking levels. Rather than people thinking 'oh I must be great, I can easily gold the Circuit Experiences' even though you can actually gold them without any basic racing skills.

Also if you increase payouts for Sport Mode, then I suspect a lot more players will have the "win at all costs" attitude, which could be a problem (more dirty players and more crazyness)

You could offer incentives for clean driving through extra payouts for clean races, and clean overtakes, rather than just result based.

Has anyone with close ties to the makers of Gran Turismo like @Jordan brought up this topic for discussion with them? Would be good to know if they are aware of this ‘point of discussion’ at least.

If not I wonder what the best way to get their attention would be. Do GT have a Twitter account, email address etc where they can take on feedback?

People are still defending this horrendous payouts? This is a game, not real life. "DRIVING IS FOR EVERYONE" but with what? The same cars I used at the launch window of this game? Sorry but this game is getting more and more cars, some of them are really expensive. There are other games on the market I and many other people would like to play. Give me a reason to fire up this game again and not bringing the infamous "sense of pride and accomplishment" nonsense. Make certain challenges to get these cars, so people with some skill have the chance to get them and not those who grind Bluemoon Bay Circuit for 3 hours a day and 21 hours a week.

There is nothing positive for anyone. It isn't even a challenge. It is a grind fest for people who don't have other games than GT: SPORT.

@Guys who defend Polyphony Digital: Do you think you would be pleased if people play our game and then only one event with the same car for just one use? In my opinion I'd be ashamed of myself that I deliver something where people only play this event and nothing else.

Last edited:
People are still defending this horrendous payouts? This is a game, not real life. "DRIVING IS FOR EVERYONE" but with what? The same cars I used at the launch window of this game? Sorry but this game is getting more and more cars, some of them are really expensive. There are other games on the market I and many other people would like to play. Give me a reason to fire up this game again and not bringing the infamous "sense of pride and accomplishment" nonsense. Make certain challenges to get these cars, so people with some skill have the chance to get them and not those who grind Bluemoon Bay Circuit for 3 hours a day and 21 hours a week.

There is nothing positive for anyone. It isn't even a challenge. It is a grind fest for people who don't have other games than GT: SPORT.
The credit payouts are very good across the board 👍, you do not need to grind like hell to get what you want.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: a game's primary purpose is entertainment, even if it's realism oriented. Not every component of real life is worthwhile to copy to a videogame. The whole purpose of playing videogames is to relax, have fun and leave the real world behind you for a while. If you put the struggle to earn enough money to buy the car of your dreams in the game, you're not playing a game anymore, you're just continuing to live your life but virtually, defeating the purpose of entertainment. Chores in real-life, chores in the game.

moan & groan about the economy system

..looks like I got an answer to *one* of my questions, at least.

I'm starting to think you're deliberately trying to avoid answering because all you is capable of is "moaning and groaning" rather than provide a satisfactory answer to backup your own opinion, at which point the question becomes how long you intent to keep this little game of yours going.

2l3fqw.jpg

Right, all this incessant "the economy's not broken, it's Gran Turismo, you're just moaning and groaning" and "the economy is broken because the game forces you to grind (for what you want)" has made me break out GTPEDIA. I hope you're happy.

Ignoring prize cars, which are to a greater or lesser degree "set" and not under the direct influence of the user, and assuming all of the one-shot events have already been completed for the prize money available, here's how many races you have to do to get the most expensive car in the game in the most efficient way possible:

GT1:
Car - Any Special Car: 500,000cr
Race - Hard Tuned Car: 8 races (~1hr); 50,000cr race win (x8), 100,000cr championship bonus (x1)
Rate - 0.5m cr/hr

GT2
Car - Various: 2,000,000cr
Race - GT500 Car Championship: 14 races (~1.5hr); 50,000cr race win (x14), 300,000cr championship bonus (x2), sell prize car (x2)
Rate - 1.35m cr/hr

GT3
Car - P001/F094/H: 3,500,000cr
Race - Special Stage Route 11 Endurance - 5 races (~7.5hr); 550,000cr race win (x5), sell prize car (x5)
Rate - 0.5m cr/hr

GT4
Car - Various: 4,500,000cr
Race - Rally de Capri (Easy): 32 races (~2.66hr); 5,000cr race win (x32), sell prize car (x16)
Rate - 1.69m cr/hr

GT5
Car - Various: 20,000,000cr
*Race - Extreme/Dream Car/B-Spec: 315 races (~23.25hr); 22,700cr race win (x315), 206,000cr championship bonus (x63)
*Rate - 0.87m cr/hr

GT6
*Race - Red Bull X2014 Standard Championship: 90 races (~5.8hr); ~128,000cr race win (x90), 500,000cr championship bonus (x18)
*Rate - 3.55m cr/hr

GT Sport
**Race - Nostalgic 1979/La Sarthe: 84 races (~9.9hr); 240,000cr race win with Clean Race bonus (x84)
**Rate - 2.04m cr/hr

So, as usual, the truth is somewhere in the middle. Yes, it takes longer than in GT6 to earn the money required if you want one of the highest value cars, but it's actually still possible to earn money at a much higher rate than in most previous GT games. But aside from GT5, it takes the longest amount of time to actually buy one of those highest value cars, because they are much more expensive than in previous GT games - and GT5 was actually just about as quick when the servers were still on.

The net result is that GT Sport takes longer than any other active GT game to buy the highest value cars, even if it's in the top three for the rate at which you can earn money.

That's why it seems like a grind to some people but not to others - money can come quick (four times faster than GT1), but you need way, way more of it to buy the most expensive cars (forty times more expensive than GT1).

But all that aside, the fastest ways to earn money are offline in a game that didn't originally even have that offline mode because the focus was online esports. If PD want to encourage people into online, a zero on the end of the payouts will help, and having it tied to your SR will help even more...

*Both GT5 and GT6 had higher-paying events when the servers were still live, plus a login bonus.
**Requires high value car to buy in to the race; next quickest is 1.8m cr/hr, for 54 races/10.6hr.

I don't know what that means. Training is being lowered? It may be a cultural thing because only a tiny cohort of people get weapons training in Ireland. I'd need a source to investigate.

Sorry I should have worded that better. I meant the criteria to pass weapons training was decreased so more people passed. Kinda the same thing with exams in schools nowadays. A levels and degrees were not handed out as easily as they are now, but the pass rates look better. They lower the bar to artificiality inflate pass rates.

I'm gong to dip out of this now. I just wanted to present some evidence as it wasn't just a flippant generic comment of mine earlier in the thread.

As I said earlier, my suggestion for the economy would just be to add login bonus ala GT6 so regular players are rewarded with higher percentage payouts in both sport and single player and the ability to sell gift cars. That's all that's needed imo.

Last edited:
Also I'm going to start another round of "Let's Ask Some Genuine Questions And Wait For Them To Never Be Answered Because They'll Just Put Me On Their Ignore List And Continue Spouting Gamer Wisdom As If They're Duke Amiel Du H'ardcore":

..yes, but what if you get a duplicate of the duplicate? Can you sell the original duplicate for credits then?

And a GR1-GR2-GR3-GR4 can give you from 125 to 300k, or so, which isn't bad

A TVR Speed 12 gave me 500,000 credits in GT2.

A CLK-GTR (or CLK-LM, if you prefer) could get me ~750,000 credits in GT4.

And those were cars you couldn't buy, so don't even try to give me that excuse.

Also let's not even consider for a moment that the most expensive cars in those games were capped at 2,000,000 and 4,500,000 respectively.

Also reminder for those who complain.... Older GT games didnt even give you a gift car just for doing a bunch of km/miles

Yes, but they gave prize cars for finishing events/series instead. And were they limited to giving you one prize car per real day?

Good. Maybe harder challenges would actually help everyone improve on basics such as racing lines, and help promote better and closer racing at all matchmaking levels. Rather than people thinking 'oh I must be great, I can easily gold the Circuit Experiences' even though you can actually gold them without any basic racing skills.

This is a great idea. Sport mode tutorials teaching proper race craft. The better you do the better the payout.

Something has to be done about racing knowledge and etiquette for sport mode.

*Sorry for double post mods. Edit: It's not a double post :)

But all that aside, the fastest ways to earn money are offline in a game that didn't originally even have that offline mode because the focus was online esports. If PD want to encourage people into online, a zero on the end of the payouts will help, and having it tied to your SR will help even more...

Are there any reasons to not improve Sport Mode payouts?

You could offer incentives for clean driving through extra payouts for clean races, and clean overtakes, rather than just result based.
Your first point, I agree, but its impossible to pretend everybody can or will have good skills.
The second, isnt that already there? In sport mode you dont earn more with a clean race? You do for offline and lobby races for sure.
People are still defending this horrendous payouts? This is a game, not real life. "DRIVING IS FOR EVERYONE" but with what? The same cars I used at the launch window of this game?
In the first stages of this game, you get a lot of cars quickly doing the offline events plus the gift car of they day... Let's not exaggerate shall we?
Its only the "unicorn cars" that are hard to get, BUT, i repeat that they are extremely unpopular for racing for this very reason, they are so expensive.

The second, isnt that already there? In sport mode you dont earn more with a clean race? You do for offline and lobby races for sure.

I said extra payouts, as in, more than what there already is. Plus, I specifically also mentioned 'clean overtakes' which would also mean to get the best credit rates, you can't just 'grind at the back' like people do for SR.

Also I'm going to start another round of "Let's Ask Some Genuine Questions And Wait For Them To Never Be Answered Because They'll Just Put Me On Their Ignore List And Continue Spouting Gamer Wisdom As If They're Duke Amiel Du H'ardcore":

..yes, but what if you get a duplicate of the duplicate? Can you sell the original duplicate for credits then?

A TVR Speed 12 gave me 500,000 credits in GT2.

A CLK-GTR (or CLK-LM, if you prefer) could get me ~750,000 credits in GT4.

And those were cars you couldn't buy, so don't even try to give me that excuse.

Also let's not even consider for a moment that the most expensive cars in those games were capped at 2,000,000 and 4,500,000 respectively.

Yes, but they gave prize cars for finishing events/series instead. And were they limited to giving you one prize car per real day?

-No you can't sell any gifted car, so each car you only sell it once.
-Its not an excuse, it's a way to make more additional money even if its less than in other games.
-Depends if you look it at the negative side or positive side, its usually a lot quicker to get the gift car of the day than getting a car doing an entire event/series in previous games.

I said extra payouts, as in, more than what there already is. Plus, I specifically also mentioned 'clean overtakes' which would also mean to get the best credit rates, you can't just 'grind at the back' like people do for SR.
Yes of course they could give them, but they decided to not do so.

Video games are what each person who plays them makes them out to be. So in nature video games can not satisfy everyone 100% except those that make them for themselves or those that just happens to be the 1% that a game 100%.

I both agree and disagree with you. I agree that different people have different reasons to like certain games. But my point still stands, games are built for entertainment, regardless of why you play them. What people consider entertainment is what varies and why would you play the game in your free-time if it wasn't entertaining?

-No you can't sell any gifted car, so each car you only sell it once.

..and that makes selling cars a feasible way of income *how* again?

-Its not an excuse, it's a way to make more additional money even if its less than in other games.

See above. The very fact that you *can't* sell prize cars in Sport kind of nullifies your entire argument right here.

-Depends if you look it at the negative side or positive side, its usually a lot quicker to get the gift car of the day than getting a car doing an entire event/series in previous games.

Alright, let's look at this way:

GT Sport:
  • One prize car per day for driving 42 kilometers
  • For anyone who's played the game for more than a week, that's all you're going to get
  • You cannot sell that prize car for credits
Literally any other GT game:
  • As many prize cars as you can fit into your schedule
  • Most of these can be won repeatedly, and, most importantly..
  • Can be sold for credits repeatedly.
Exactly where is the prize car system in Sport decidedly better than the system in previous games?

Just remember it is a game and you do not need to get that car you want in 5 minutes, but sadly some players do want that to happen. Just because there are a few expensive cars in the game and they start complaining about the payouts, because they are lazy and they what to play less to earn heaps of credits which is wrong.

Just remember it is a game and you do not need to get that car you want in 5 minutes, but sadly some players do want that to happen. Just because there are a few expensive cars in the game and they start complaining about the payouts, because they are lazy and they what to play less to earn heaps of credits which is wrong.

You are so oblivious to your own hypocrisy.

You call others lazy, even though many of us have mentioned we would like to earn cars through skillful achievements, which would still require time and effort, and actually not at all be lazy.

Yet you continue to call others lazy even when you yourself have admitted to rubber banding overnight.

You say there is nothing wrong with the economy time and time again, yet you completely prove yourself wrong by rubber banding, which is 100% a technique used by people who want to earn something quicker because they believe it would take too long otherwise, hence, you yourself even know the economy is broken or else you wouldn't rubber band.

You use the phrase, 'they what to play less to earn heaps of credits which is wrong' but you actively play less by rubber banding. You are the very person you 'moan and groan' about.

it is a game

You might want to remember that yourself.

you do not need to get that car you want in 5 minutes

It doesn't need to be a two-digit number of hours either. Exactly what is your point?

sadly some players do want that to happen.

..and your problem with this is..?

because they are lazy and they what to play less to earn heaps of credits which is wrong.

I'd like to see some statistics on that.

You *still* haven't provided any answer to my questions, by the way. Oh wait, that's right, I asked you some critical questions and you decided to chicken out and threw me on your ignore list in the hopes that you'd never have to deal with a "pleb" like me again, didn't you?

Latest Posts

Back