El Capitan 200 Miles (200 A-spec points) in stock Toyota Sprinter Trueno S.S. AE86

• Thread starter Lucas
  • 30 comments
Argentina
Buenos Aires
Hello everyone! It's Codename L, with this endurance race report. May I add, my first real race report. I've decided to pick, as usual in these boards, the El Capitan endurance race. Mainly because I'm running low on cash, and today, at 2:00am in the morning (:scared:) with no chances to sleep whatsoever, it thought it would be cool to see if the Sprinter Trueno Shuichi Shigeno Version AE86, could win this race for 200 A-Spec points, totally stock, minus S1 tires which I had bought before, and an oil change. I don't know if this will grant me a place in the Club 200, but I did not enter this race with that in mind. Besides, there's the little aspect that I've got to win first :lol:

To get things started, if you don't like race reports without pictures, then I'm sorry, 'cause you are out of luck today. I've no longer have an USB Flash Drive, which means no pictures. Therefore, I don't expect you to believe this is true. Don't complain.

The Initial (D) line-up looks like this:

1st place - Aston Martin V8 Vantage '99
2nd place - TVR T350C '03
3rd place - Dodge Viper GTS '99
4th place - Corvette ZR-1 (C4) '90
5th place - Callaway C12 '03
6th place - Toyota Sprinter Trueno AE86 Shuichi Shigeno Version '00 (me)

So... Let's get things started. (I'll be using AMG.'s amazing map of the track, to keep you oriented during the race ;))

For sake of simplicity, the first split will be called "tunnel", and the second split, "bridge".

First lap: Launched at full revolutions, and as expected, I got blown off the line, mainly due to the wheelspin of the AE86 when launched at full revs (damn you, Bunta!). At the corner 2, I was able to catch up minimally to the rest of the field. Still, the tall gearing of the car and the slow shift times made me almost impossible to keep up through the rest of the corners until the tunnel, in which everyone started slowing down, allowing me to gracefully (:sly:) maneouver around them in turn 6 to pass everyone except the TVR, which had taken the lead from the Vantage. Since I did not braked when driving down the downhill, my car was packed with speed, which helped the car stay close to the TVR until the corner 8. So far, everything going good. The TVR, with its astounding power to weight ratio, breezed through the corners. When we got to the bridge, that's when I realized that I was faster from the tunnel to there, than the TVR. Coming into the straight, I was being left behind by the TVR, and the first lap time was of 2'15.960 (margin will be added as soon as I finish this race.)

Lap two: Everything going well here, while I struggle with the handling of the AE86, which is not a forgiving car at all. Had this been Initial D, I would have drifted my way ahead of the TVR, but as in the previous lap, I could not see the car again until I entered the tunnel. As we got to the bridge, in somehow the exactly same position as in the previous lap, and I realized therefore, I had work to do be done if I wanted to win this race, since and endless loop of seek and hide was not going to get me anywhere. At the end of the lap, I was 13 seconds faster than my previous lap, with a total of 2'02.622, and a split difference of +0'03.604 seconds. The TVR is still on cold tires.

Lap three: The loop continued, but as I was growing used to the car, I found a way to minimize braking time, and maximize time spent on the pedal. The split at the bridge was of +0'01.620 seconds, which proved my theory once again that I was faster on the first section of the course. The lap time was of 2'01.207 minutes, with a winning split for the TVR of +0'02.664.

Lap four: Nothing much to say here, other than the race was going well, and I suppose I had around six or seven seconds of advantage for the third placed car. The lap time was of 2'00.654 minutes, and a split of +0'03.867 favouring the TVR. This is when I realized, that something was going wrong...

Lap five through seven: In these three laps, my worst fear became reality: the TVR's tires were growing warmer and warmer, and what started with a +0'03.867 split favouring the TVR in the fourth lap, the seventh lap ended with a +0'12.586 split. What's worse, my pace in the race didn't changed much at all, with my seventh lap being the fastest so far, with 2'00.330 minutes. Updates to come in the next seven laps.

Update:

Lap eight: The TVR keeps increases its lead, and while the AE86 seems to have been tamed during the first seven laps, still we have almost 59 laps, where everything is possible. At the end of this lap, my time is of 2'02.331, which dissapoints me, since in a time where I should try to go as fast as possible to avoid being left behind even more, it's still two seconds slower than my best lap so far. The split is of +0'16.689. Terrible...

Lap nine: I am starting to be believe that the TVR is not growing faster by the moment. Rather, he seems to be three seconds faster than myself. Lap nine is finished with a time of 2'01.621, and a split of +0'19.583. Things only gets worse, as the TVR seems not to slow down at all.

Lap ten: One thing has come to my mind, seeing as how little fuel have I spend so far. I recall reading about Fangio's victory in Nürburgring, in which he entered on half-full tanks. Which leads me to believe that if I don't refuel during the entire race, and only at the last pit stop, I may be able to increase my lap times. At this moment, changing into the superior S2 tires starts to become an option. Lap ten gets a time of 2'00.546, which is not as bad as the last laps, and with a split of +0'21.250. It has already become evident: if the TVR doesn't pit anytime soon, this is a race that I have lost before entering.

Lap eleven: I have no idea if I can win this one, seeing as how the margin gets faster as the laps pass. But a ray of light shines on the AE86, as the TVR stops on lap 11th. I go ahead and the margin of around twenty-two seconds diminishes to only +0'00.804 as we he crosses the line, followed by me at the same time. At the beginning of lap twelve, I have already took the lead from the TVR. The Aston Martin Vantage pits too, which leaves me intrigued, since I supposed the Vantage should have pit much earlier, or the TVR much longer...

Lap twelve: The TVR needs to cold its tires, which is certainly good news for me and the 86, as we still have some grip left in the tires to be used, which are only glowing yellow in the front, with some hints of yellow in the back tires. The split at the tunnel is of -0'05.606, giving the AE86 and me a good oportunity to breath calmly after eleven laps with no kind of lead whatsoever. The new time is of 2'01.013, still not a record, but good enough to keep the TVR away with a margin of -0'07.763 seconds :D

Lap thirteen: I get a glimpse of understeer on the car, as the front right tire starts turning orange, while the left is still yellow. Seems like in this course, the right tires suffer from much pressure than the left ones. I can point out a few reasons. The one that mainly comes in mind are that the right tires suffer from the landing after the tunnel. The lap is finished at 2'02.146, with a lead of 9.429 seconds over the second placed TVR, which aims to catch me. At this lap, the Corvette pits.

Lap fourteen: Now it has become obvious that the understeer is toying with me, and with a 12 second lead over the TVR at the bridge split, I decide to go for the safe-play and enter the pits. My non-refueling plan starts here. As my tires are getting changed for another set of S1 tires, the Viper pits too. While we wait for our comrades to do their work, the TVR zooms past me, and as soon as I exit the pits, my lap time is of 2'20.995 seconds, and the split is of +0'09.434. Apparently, we are worse than we started. But the show doesn't end until the end song appears... Updates to come in the next seven laps.

Update:

Lap fifteen: At the very first corner, the Callaway appears from nowhere and passes me by. Now, instead of one car to fight, I've got two :eek: Seeking a safe way to pass the Callaway, I choose (as always) to pass him at the tunnel. To my surprise, the split between me and the TVR is now of +0'17.662 seconds!! What started as boy's game, became a man's war. The lap is finished at 2'10.467, with a split of +0'21.373 seconds, and the Callaway still in second place.

Lap sixteen: Still struggling with the Callaway, and with the cold tires in the AE86 causing nothing but understeer, I've got the feeling that I should have chosen another lineup. The lap is finished at 2'01.537, with a split of +0'24.633. It is now more evident that we are getting back where the AE86 and I started.

Lap seventeen: This time, the Callaway seems to have a more erratic line, and it is easily passed after the tunnel. The lap is finished at 2'01.643, slightly slower than the lap before, but as it should be expected, the Callaway did its first pit stop in the entire race. The split is of +0'26.921 seconds. The TVR is going through this race like a breeze.

Lap eighteen: This lap is a lot like the first laps after the first warm up of the TVR's tires. Alone, with no cars in the back, and no cars in the front, as I can't see the TVR, I've got nothing to do but stay focused on the racing line. Lap time: 2'01.223. Split: +0'29.300.

Lap nineteen: The fuel is decreasing, and I believe I can start noticing the difference in the car's handling. Still, there's much time to improve is I want to win this race. Interestingly, I nail the record lap of the race, at 2'00.330 minutes, on this lap. Still,, 31.430 seconds of margin benefit the TVR.

Lap twenty: The tires are getting warmer, but they have a few laps to race if I want them to be in optimal condition. The lap ends at 2'00.406, and with a split of 0'33.469. Hopefully, the TVR will pit in the next two or three laps.

Lap twenty-one: Looking to improve the lap record, I almost spin out at turn six, after going in with too much speed and a bad driving line. Somehow, I managed this to be the new lap record, breaking the two-minutes barrier, at 1'59.827 minutes, with a split of +0'34.470. Updates to come in the next seven laps.

Update:

Lap twenty-two: Finally, the TVR pits indeed, which leads me to believe that it pits exactly after 11 laps. I wouldn't be so sure about it, and I don't want to "cheat" and consult one of the guides about it. Anyways, I finish the lap at 2'01.001, still 14.502 seconds behind the TVR.

Lap twenty-three: The race has turned into a real fight, between the high-performance TVR and the oldie but goodie AE86. The splits at the tunnel are of +0'08.753, giving the TVR still margin, but as you can see, slowly getting smaller. The Vantage pits, and at the second split by the bridge, the margin is of +0'06.257 seconds. At the end of the lap, which is of 2'01.228 seconds, the leading TVR has an advantage of 6.257 seconds.

Lap twenty-four: By the tunnel, the difference is just of 2.725 seconds, and I starting to believe that chances come and go, endlessly. Hopefully, the circle with end with a "come". The lap is of 1'59.877, close to the lap record.

Lap twenty-five: The corner after the tunnel, as demostrated in previous ocasions, is the perfect place to pass with a slow car. That happens in this lap, with a split of just +0'01.587, I pass the TVR from the inside to the outside. Sadly, by the end of the lap, the TVR speeds up on the straight, leaving me in second place once again, with a split of only 0.045 seconds, and a lap time of 2'00.823.

Lap twenty-six: I regain first place at the first corner, as the rocket-powered TVR slows down. The Corvette does a pit stop, and honestly, in my mind, there are only two thing that matters: passing the TVR, and winning. Like the previous lap, I can barely hold my lead jus to be passed once again at the straight, with a split of +0'00.289 seconds and a lap time of 2'00.870.

Lap twenty-seven: First place once again becomes mine at turn six, like always. But an unsuspected attack by the TVR at the second split by the bridge destroys what was once a clean lap. Thus, if you don't care about a dirty race, then stop reading. I won't stop this race just because the TVR can't get the difference between a license and a race. The lap ends at 2'02.263 minutes, and the TVR has a lead of +0'02.984 seconds.

Lap twenty-eight: The TVR starts to speed up, and like always, it must be due to the tires gaining grip. A new strategy comes to my mind: by analizing the time lost between piting, and the second lap after piting, and also the time spent warming up the tires, I come up with the following number: 8 seconds of lost time at the pit-following lap, and around 18 seconds of piting. Thus, if I can keep the tires going on until the next pit stop of the TVR, I will have saved 26 seconds, since I can barely feel the difference between the new tires and the worn out tires. This strategy is the one I will follow during the rest of the race. At least, until I start noticing slower lap times. Lap time is of 2'01.606, with a winning margin by the TVR of 5.385 seconds. Updates to come in the next seven laps.

Update:

Lap twenty-nine: Still doing good with the front tires glowing orange. I believe I can stay like this for a few laps more. Still, the gap between me and the TVR grows larger. Lap time: 2'02.635. The TVR is ahead by 9.853 seconds. :ill:

Lap thirty: Understeer is kicking in, and I believe I will have to pit in this or the next lap. I will see how do things end, and hopefully, the TVR will lap soon. The time is of 2'04.670, considerably slower than the other laps. The TVR is 15.777 seconds ahead.

Lap thirty-one: Things are going bad. The front tires are glowing red, thus, there's more understeer than I expected the car to have. Along with its body roll, this is perhaps one of the worst things that it could happen to me in this race. Therefore, I pit, and install S2 tires in the car. The race could not get worse by now, since when crossing the line with a time of 2'27.191 seconds, the leading T350 has a huge, huge margin of 42.410 seconds. There's definitely no gutter long enough to drive the car in front of the TVR. Not even Takumi would be able to win.

Lap thirty-two:The new tires, as always, are understeery, but since I've been driving with S1 tires until now, I should go faster than before, hopefully enough to catch the TVR sometime. The split by the bridge just makes things worse, with +0'47.327 seconds of advantage :( The lap time is of 2'07.631 minutes, with a margin of 0'47.912. If the TVR driver is sick, then he should throw up right now just to give me a chance.

Lap thirty-three: Almost nothing to say, other than the way things are looking, if I don't increase my lead soon, I will lose miserably. The lap time is of 2'00.112, with a margin of +0'49.468 for the TVR.

Lap thirty-four: The most consecutive pit stops of the race so far: the C12, the Vantage, and the TVR \(º.º)/, all stop in this lap. At 1'58.422 right now, my lap record so far, and behind the TVR by 24.337 seconds, I may still have a chance.

Lap thirty-five: With a split of 16.223 behind the TVR at the tunnel, lapped the Vantage at turn eight from the outside cleanly, and looking towards reaching the TVR. The lap time is of 1'59.479, behind just by 13.384 seconds. Updates to come in the next seven laps.

Update:

Lap thirty-six: Still aiming towards the TVR, the sport medium tires seem to work great. The lap is of 2'01.812, 12.157 seconds behind the TVR.

Lap thirty-seven: The margin becomes shorter, and I don't have time to lose, since I've only got 29 laps to go. I must admit that, if I win, this would be an incredible victory :cheers:. The lap is of 1'58.401, a new record, behind of the TVR by just 8.671 seconds.

Laps thirty-eight to forty-two: The Corvette does another pit stop, at lap thirty-eight. The TVR's tires have finally warmed, and he is now pulling faster laps, which increase the previous margin of 8.671 seconds up to 10.793 seconds :indiff: My laps are still between a reasonable speed, though I wish they were much faster. I'm now pulling between 1'58.600 and 1'59.200. But as I said, if I could go faster, that would be a lot better. Updates to come in the next seven laps.

Update:

Laps forty-three and forty-four: The pace is still the same, with the TVR increasing his lead to 15.673 seconds at the forty-fourth lap.

Lap forty-five: Finally, the TVR pits, and I decide to do the same, since my tires we worn out pretty bad. The lap time is of 2'25.176 seconds, and the difference is now of 19.992 seconds. If I lose or win, I don't care. The truth is, I'm having a thrill of a battle!

Lap forty-six: Going full throttle with the new S2 tires, I manage to do a lap time of 2'07.533, and shorten the distance to 17.592 seconds.

Lap forty-seven: The distance is once again shortened, to 14.137 seconds, with a lap time of 2'00.469. Perhaps, if only the AI manages an extra pit stop, I may be able to win...

Lap forty-eight: Shortened once again, the gap between me and the TVR is just of 10.961 seconds. The chances of winning are once again increased. The most important thing right now is to keep shortening my lap times, which becomes easier and easier in the warming S2 tires. This lap was of 1'58.938 minutes.

Lap forty-nine: The last lap of this update, and and the gap, although shortened a bit, points out that the TVR has already started to go faster. The gap is reduced to 9.276 seconds, and the lap time is of 1'58.626.
Updates to come in the next seven laps.

Update:

Lap 50: Things are tough, but the tires, being only recently changed five laps ago, still haven't give their entire grip. The Corvette and the Callaway C12 pit. This new lap is of 1'59.007, still 9.924 seconds behind the TVR :indiff:

Lap 51: I can't stop but thanking Wikipedia about that mention of Fangio's race in half-full tanks at Nürburgring. Definitely, if I win this race, I will dedicate it to him, even if it's not something as important as a real race. This lap is of 1'58.903 minutes, now even closer to the TVR, at +0'07.428 seconds ahead.

Lap 52: This time, I had a hard time trying to keep the pace, mainly because of the nerves, since I don't know if I will win or lose. This time, the lap is of 1'59.138 minutes. 8.291 seconds separate me from the TVR.

Lap 53: Nailed a new lap record, hopefully not the last, at 1'58.325 seconds, 7.217 seconds behind of the TVR. Sometimes, I even think I can see him, but I wouldn't be so sure about it.

Lap 54: The Viper pits at this lap, and I realize that if they were not in this race, I would not even make a difference. This new lap is of 1'59.623 minutes, 8.053 seconds behind the TVR. Consistency in my times is the key to winning this race.

Lap 55: Nothing much to say, other than I'm starting losing my patience, and if the TVR could at least spin out or something, I would be much cooler. This time, the lap is of 1'58.849 minutes, and 7.979 seconds behind the TVR.

Lap 56: My tires are getting trouble to stick to the ground, sending me to the outside of the corners whenever they seem to have the chance. At 1'59.378, and 7.788 seconds behind the TVR, I can just hope for a miracle, normally attributed to AE86s, to happen. Update to come after seven laps.

Update:

Lap 57: The final pit stop of the race. This is it. The Aston Martin, the TVR, and I, pit together. As always, S2 tires, since from now on, this is a sprint race, and tire wear is not something to be taken in mind. I have barely fuel, relying only in "two red dots if fuel". May seem stupid, but I have took note about how much fuel will I need until the end. At 2'19.953, I'm incredibly close to the TVR, ahead by just 5.570 seconds, a feat that only happened at the beginning of the race.

Lap 58: I also know that in cold tires, the TVR seems to be an easy prey. That's why I accelerate hard out of corners, taking care of not running into sand or other cars. I don't want to make this race dirtier than the TVR already made it in lap 27. I can see it hiding corner after corner, and the 58th lap ends with a time of 2'10.239 minutes, 5.331 seconds behind the TVR.

Lap 59: There's no doubt about it, it is now completely possible to win this race, but I have to give 100% if I want to win cleanly and without any troubles. The 59th lap end with a 1'58.777, now barely away from the leading T350c, ahead by just 1.145 seconds :D

Lap 60...

I've taken especially care during all this race... I don't know if these are my driving skills, or the sheer luck this car, which seems to have helped its original driver, win all those touge races at Japan. But one thing is sure: this is arguably my hardest race so far, even harder than the race with the Mustang. Thus, if at least I can keep focused, I may be able to grasp the win off the TVR's driver hands. Coming into the tunnel, my plan starts working: just close enough, I slide down the corner numered "6", going first in the inside, then sliding to the outside across the TVR's point of view. I'm now ahead, and nothing can stop this car from reaching the finish line first. The clock, especially installed for this race, marks my new lap time at about 1'58.570 minutes, and I assume I'm well ahead of the TVR, at 3.762 seconds behind me.

Lap 61...

This is where all the training I spent in Capri pay off. The tires are working great, and even though the body roll leaves much to be desired from this car, it is certainly a different experience from my modern Elise 111R.
This new lap time is of 1'59.360 minutes. The TVR is now 4.360 seconds away from the Trueno.

Lap 62...

No wonder this was probably my best experience driving a foreign car, but if I get to win, it will undoubtly be the best victory I ever had, in my first endurance race. The new lap time is of 1'59.298 minutes, with the TVR behind by just 3.277 seconds. I can already see the Corvette piting in.

Lap 63: Passed Vantage in last corner of the track, but he easily catches up in the final straight. The new lap time is of 1'58.631 seconds, and the TVR is getting dangerously closer, at blinding speed, just 2.106 seconds behind the AE86.

Lap 64: The AE86 is on his three final laps in the course. With the TVR following closely, there's no room for mistakes if the victory is to be had. The lap time of lap 64 is of 1'58.329 seconds. The TVR is 4.267 seconds behind.

Lap 65: Pushing the AE86 to its limits, it would be depressing to lose at the last seconds of the race, after having come all the way down to the 65 lap. The lap time of the 65th lap is of 1'59.103 seconds. The TVR follows at 3.935 seconds behind.

Lap 66... The Final Lap!

-"Alright, damn it! Let's see what this car has to give!" (Floors accelerator.)

"The car is definitely fast."
"This guy... What was his name?"
"Fujiwara."
"Yes. He was kind on letting Charlie use his car."
"He didn't seem to care much at all."
"Charlie seems like he is going to win."
"Yes. I can already see that happening."

-"Just one minute more! I need the TVR to stay behind for a couple of seconds! That's all that I'm asking, please!"

"People say that his car is a living piece of luck."
"The Elise could have easily breezed through this race. But to imagine the Trueno beating the field..."
"You don't see that everyday."

-"Yes, yes, yes!!! For Christ sake, yes!!!!" (Zooms through the sign near the finish line.)

"So... He did won, huh?"
"Uh, who are you?"
"I am one of Fujiwara's friends. I'm his tutor."
"Wow. I can see certain paralelism between you and Eric."
"That's where the coincidences end."
"Congratulations to your driver."
"What can I say? He's one of a kind :lol:"
"I would like to see a race between the two of them. Charles vs Fujiwara."
"You will have to excuse us. We have a very tight schedule for this week."
"Then, until we meet again. Remember to return the car back to him."
"Don't worry. See you later... Sometime."

-"Yes... Oh, God... Victory." (Celebration inside the 8-6.)

T1 (-0'04.004)
T2 (-0'05,132)
Final split (-0'03.292)
Winner: Charlie.
Car: Toyota Sprinter Trueno AE86, Shuichi Shigeno Version. Totally stock, minus Oil change, S1 tires and S2 tires, and rigidity refresher.

Final times:

AE86: 2:14'39.562
TVR: 2:14'42.854

I hope you will be able to excuse the poor quality... It's the only proof I've got.

image1ekh.jpg

So, as you can see... It is true what they say about the AE86 in Initial D... It really makes the impossible. So now I leave the track with a new Minolta, 250.000 credits, and 200 A-Spec points in the bag 👍 Thanks for reading!

Dedicated to Juan Manuel Fangio (Balcarce, June 24, 1911 - Buenos Aires, July 17, 1995), El Maestro. Rest in peace.

Last edited:
I forgot who it was, but a GTP user did the same enduro a couple of years ago using a BMW 120d, fully tuned... he failed miserably. 1/3 through the race he was already a lap down.

I don't have any intention to lose miserably. Though, I have to admit that the odds are well against me. Who knows? Maybe a lightning will struck the TVR...

Looks like you have a difficult race ahead.:scared:
But there is hope, the TVR will lose time in lapping the Aston Martin and possibly the Callaway.
In addition, you have the option of switching to S2 tires. If you're losing 3 seconds each lap on S1's, S2's should see you equal the TVR's pace, but it will probably result in you having to make one more pitstop than the S1's.

On the fuel, I'd advise you to keep a close eye on how much you're using. Select re-fuel on the pit menu, but press x as soon as the fuel-bar appears. You'll be able to see how much you've spent, and can calculate exactly how much you need for the next 14 laps.

Anyhoo, best of luck and keep us posted!👍

Thanks, man! 👍 I don't expect to win, but I do expect to come out in second place at least. About the S2 tires, I expected to change to those tires on the last pit stop, and with the already low fuel, start lapping faster and faster :D Or at least I hope it will work that way. Once again, thanks for the support!

Looks like it's going well, for now. I was thinking about using something other than just S1's through whole race, I'd use some S2's to get some extra grip for at least one of your stints.

I wouldn't give up on the TVR just yet, swapping to S2 right away should see you equal or better his pace, and your tires should last at least as long as his.

40 laps to go, all you need to do is be 1 second faster per lap than he is, and you'll catch him. That's not such a tall order, if you can do 1.59.xxx on the hard tires..:)

I'd also echo what alhajoth is saying.
The TVR is dreadfully slow on cold tyres and you can make up a lot of time on him there.
Plan your pit strategy carefully so you fit in the minimal amount of pitstops and finish the race just before you would be due another stop.
The TVR is pretty dumb, and will pit in about 2 - 4 laps before the end of the race, meaning he'll still be moving slowly on cold tyres as the race ends, this should give you the opportunity to catch him. :sly:

As you say, my friend 👍 I will change to S2 tires on the following pit stop. That, along with the reduced weight, should give me the boost I need right now. Oh, and, you may have not noticed, but I have updated the laps ;)

If I'm not mistaken, you've both got 1 stop left. This is going to be one hell of a finish!:)

Try to even out your last two stints, so you don't run on worn tires.

Thanks for your support, I'm glad to see everyone cares more about this than a story :) This is definitely my hardest battle to date :cheers: I wish just that I had pictures... :(

See, now THAT's what i'm talkin about! None of this "well, i lapped the 2nd place car 3x" crap.

And i, too, am a believer in the half-tank theory. Every endurance i've run so far, i'll let my tank go low. It helps for sure.

Fantastic race and finish, Lucas!👍

I'll give this a try, I can only hope my race will be as close as yours.

Thanks for the comments, guys! I must say that I did not expected to win at all, seeing the 47 seconds of advantage at lap 32. But luckily, I payed attention to your advice of changing the tires, and it worked wonderfully :cheers:

Great work man! Certainly a good effort and its paid well in the end. Amazing skill 👍

Nice race report. Gave me the urge to run this race again.

I'm even running against the same line-up you had (I think), but I'm using a stock '71 Super Bee.

Good luck then, man! The Super Bee is also Super Heavy, so you may run into trouble changing the tires. Not to mention fuel consumption :yuck: I read around twenty-minutes ago in another forum that one of the members ran the Dodge Charger for two laps in Fuji and lost two dots of fuel :ill: But still, with all those problems, the Super Bee should be able to win. After all, I have already proved that even against some cars in Costa Di Amalfi, the muscle cars can keep up. Who says they can't attack corners? :sly:

Thanks man, I'm about 6 laps in and have a slight lead. Tires seem to be holding up fairly well. I'm just hoping they last until lap 11. Haven't paid attention to fuel consumption but am not too worried. Refuels don't take much time in a pit stop.

Lucas, this is an awesome race report! I'm looking forward to reading another one from you 👍.. Have you already got ideas which race to report next? 💡

Best wishes,

S-Line Audi Fan :cheers:

I highly doubt if I will do another one... If I could upload pictures, that would be great, of course. The race would be made much interesting. All these words and no pictures... makes this seem like it never happened :( But answering your question, I would like to race the Nürburgring endurance next :D It's a damn shame that I will have to stick to a low end car as far as earning 200 A-Spec points go, since I would rather drive a car that I like against a hard line-up that a car that I don't like against an easy lineup :indiff: We shall see.

Good luck then, man! The Super Bee is also Super Heavy, so you may run into trouble changing the tires. Not to mention fuel consumption :yuck: I read around twenty-minutes ago in another forum that one of the members ran the Dodge Charger for two laps in Fuji and lost two dots of fuel :ill: But still, with all those problems, the Super Bee should be able to win. After all, I have already proved that even against some cars in Costa Di Amalfi, the muscle cars can keep up. Who says they can't attack corners? :sly:

I just did the Laguna Seca 200 miles in a Jaguar S Type R about a month ago. I didn't have quite as close as win as yours but on the very last lap my tires were going orange and i could see the competeing Vipers not far behind in my mirror. One more lap and i woulda been trounced for sure.

My point is the Super Bee can surely win. Pit stops will happen often, but it's certainly possible. I did Laguna Seca also in a Chevelle awhile back. :scared:

Yeah, I thought so. At least, the car as a close transmission. The AE86 hardly got to the end of fourth gear :ill:

About the "one more lap" thingy... I too thought that I was going to lose, since the tires of the TVR seemed to start increasing their grip, so I was literally running out of time :scared: But miracles seem to happen. I also noticed a huge difference in handling between the AE86 and the Elise. Even though the power to weight ratio of the AE86 is higher, the Elise's cornering speed easily blasted its Motorsport version in the track, winning by about 50 seconds. But as I said, this has been my hardest race to date. Hopefully, if I run the Nürburgring's 4 hours, it will be 1/4 as good as Fangio's :D

I forgot this one. I recently did another endurance at Laguna Seca, driving an Infiniti G35 sedan this time. Again, i was mostly up against a couple Vipers, but the Corvette Z06 was also competing.

Anyways, picture this: there's maybe 5 laps to go. I just got out of the pits 3 laps earlier, equipping hard racing tires, but i had done most of the race on super-hards. This gave me an edge i needed; if i hadn't upgraded tires i wouldn't have been able to catch up to the Z06. :ill:

Anyways, it's me and the Z06, with the Viper SRT10 a few car-lengths behind in my mirror. We just got past the corkscrew. I was following the Z06 at the bottom of the hill, and followed him again thru the next right. I braked late and now i had a choice to pass him if i wanted. I don't know what i was thinking. We're now in that short straight, just passing the pitstop entry.

We're side-by-side. Next thing i know, the DAMN Z06 SPUN ME!!!! I was so pissed :mad: i mean, really mad. Even while trying to keep my cool, i knew the race was over for me and i'd have to accept a 2nd place win. He spun me real good...i wound up way off into the sand just past that final turn. Just 4 laps to go, remember. :banghead: I managed to pass the Viper SRT-10, but the Z06 got too far ahead. :mad::grumpy::ouch:

To cap the story off...i actually re-did the entire race the next evening...it was so good (other than that spin, of course) and so close at the end again. It was worth doing a second time.

Sadly, I am fully able to remember the track, and when I mean sadly, I say it because I can put myself behind the wheel of the poor G35 :( I understand what you mean about it, totally! Sometimes I just want to kill the AI, as it doesn't know what is ahead of them! This race ended up being a dirt race, since the bloody TVR bumped me at the bridge :mad: Not only that, but the bump occurred while I was braking, thereby sending me against the rocky walls, but I was somehow able to manage the old suspension and put the car back on the line just in time. Had that gone wrong, I would have definitely lost :cheers:

EDIT: I'm glad you did it again. I am thinking that, had I equipped the S2 tires at the very first pit stop, the race would have been much easier. Luckily, I waited until the right time ;)

Last edited:
Sadly, I am fully able to remember the track, and when I mean sadly, I say it because I can put myself behind the wheel of the poor G35 :( I understand what you mean about it, totally! Sometimes I just want to kill the AI, as it doesn't know what is ahead of them! This race ended up being a dirt race, since the bloody TVR bumped me at the bridge :mad: Not only that, but the bump occurred while I was braking, thereby sending me against the rocky walls, but I was somehow able to manage the old suspension and put the car back on the line just in time. Had that gone wrong, I would have definitely lost :cheers:

:cheers:

EDIT: I'm glad you did it again. I am thinking that, had I equipped the S2 tires at the very first pit stop, the race would have been much easier. Luckily, I waited until the right time ;)

Yea i typically use the hardest tires available to get the most laps, switching to the next softer set up towards the end if i need to.

Oh, wow... congrats on that win, Lucas! That sounded like an awesome race, a four second margin after over two hours of racing. Yikes! You've inspired me to do this race in an American car... it's heavy as hell tho. Think luxury ;).

WHOA... I would lose certainly beause I am not nearly as fast as YOU, Luke, and I also rarely do Endurances in A-spec mode.

Nice race report, thought the thread title is very missleading.
I think the non Squichi Shigeno version can possibly win here also.
There are 200-pts reports for this race done in heavyer and weaker car also :D

And what comes to Initial D, don't forget that the monster isn't the car.. It's the driver behind the wheel.. :mischievous:

Back