Elderly Drivers

• Thread starter tonospeed
  • 30 comments
Australia
AUSTRALIA
How does matching work in Sport-is it age related or just the fastest qualifying times?have done thousands of laps in GT6 and been competitive,clean and fast. I can handle the AI drivers in single races but really struggle in Sport-can afford to upgrade to a quality sim but not much point being an older person if i`m racing 16yo reflexes.GT Masters anyone?

How does matching work in Sport-is it age related or just the fastest qualifying times?have done thousands of laps in GT6 and been competitive,clean and fast. I can handle the AI drivers in single races but really struggle in Sport-can afford to upgrade to a quality sim but not much point being an older person if i`m racing 16yo reflexes.GT Masters anyone?

I'm almost positive that age has nothing to do with matchmaking. With that being said you realize that the majority of GTS players are older 30 to 65 and we out number the younger players by quite a bit. So don't be afraid to buy a sim setup because you think your to old.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/poll-how-old-are-the-gt-sport-players.375244/

Last edited:
I'm almost positive that age has nothing to do with matchmaking. With that being said you realize that the majority of GTS players are older 30 to 65 and we out number the younger players by quite a bit. So don't be afraid to buy a sim setup because you think your to old.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/poll-how-old-are-the-gt-sport-players.375244/

I disagree with your assertion that the age range of GT Planet users is equivalent to the age range of the players of the game itself.

thanks guys-i found the Geezer Club but they only race sporadically-i retire soon and will have nothing better to do!! If ,as you suggest,older players are "more prevalent" maybe the bakers can add age group to qualifying times-after all it`s only an algorithm away these days.....

I disagree with your assertion that the age range of GT Planet users is equivalent to the age range of the players of the game itself.

If you want to go by all games across the entire gaming community this includes consoles and PC then the 35 to 65 has by far the most players. Its just not GTPlanet my friend.

thanks guys-i found the Geezer Club but they only race sporadically-i retire soon and will have nothing better to do!! If ,as you suggest,older players are "more prevalent" maybe the bakers can add age group to qualifying times-after all it`s only an algorithm away these days.....

I'm not far from being of age to join that group.

I'm 58 and race in a couple of series, I don't feel age is a factor when I'm racing, I win some lose some, although in FPS games I get destroyed by the kids.
It's inevitable we will all be destroyed by the kids. They're just getting better and better. In the league I keep getting beat by the 12 year olds:lol:. There are a few mature drivers in our leagues.

Rote repetition and practice will get you in a good spot. Your (ie, our) reaction time might be slower than a 19 year old kid but racing lines and course layouts require knowledge and ability. So, just physiologically us older people would probably be worse at recovering a skid, evading crashes, or reacting to unpredictable drivers. Everything else is approachable with proper research and practice.

I've said it before, but just watch the top times and then move their braking points back 1 car length and just try to match that. That pace will plant you firmly in upper DR B. Then start gradually pushing deeper into corners with the least consequences. All the while, approach the game with the placid temperament of a Buckingham Palace guard as people ram, nudge, push, and slam into you periodically.

As a 25 year old with pretty sharp reactions, i'd suggest you don't worry about it. I usually get very good grid starts and most of my passes come from twitch moves or quick decisions to move into space - but I will lose those spots back to drivers with better pace and strategy.

Play to your strengths - I find usually that older drivers are more consistent and make less stupid moves under pressure. They genuinely defend better as well as I think youth begets a more aggressive, eyes-forward approach.

While I get good results from my good reaction times, it's hardly the be all and end all of racing - look at my qualifying, strategy, car choice and you'll see massive holes in my game.

Just go racing! And use your radar!

I can tell you from more than 30 years of drag racing that your reflexes dont slow down appreciably from early 20's to mid 50's. I'm 54 and I often measure my reaction time electronically to the thousandths of a second and I am only just barely slower that I was 30 years ago. That may have a lot to do with muscle memory, maybe I dont react to unforeseen random actions as fast but I'm not really sure how one would accurately even measure that. The most important thing to finding speed is practice, if you were to take one of the "daily weekly" races and focus on one track running at least 30+ laps per day I'm sure you would find your times dropping, or at least that has worked for me so far. Before this last weekend I didnt know Goodwood very well, I kept running custom 30 lap races with different GR4 cars and a funny thing happened. Every new car I chose was faster than the previous car so I went back to the first car I raced a 30 lap race with and it was magically just as fast as the last car I raced with, I even had to go back and check that I had BOP turned on. I guess the cars were not getting faster after all:D:D
PS-Ivwould suggest racing with RH tires and not RS unless that's what they are using in the dailys, the cars really handle much different with the different compounds in the 1.39 patch.

I'm 51, with what feels like an 100 year old body but I can still race like a young man on my good days. Experience, which you seem to have, goes a long way in racing.

can afford to upgrade to a quality sim

Upgrade from what? I thoroughly recommend getting a wheel. Once you're used to it, which takes time, you have time to spare rather than needing those quick reactions.

...and welcome to GTP.:gtpflag:

Racing online compared to racing the games AI can be a real eye opener regardless of age. You will probably be surprised at the number of players that entered online thinking they were pretty good as they beat the AI easily and then realize just how mediocre they were against live human competition.

Matchmaking works better sometimes than others but although you find yourself gridded in 15th 2 seconds a lap off pole speed normally you will have a group of players around your grid position close to your pace to race with. Worry about maintaining position or gaining a few spots secondary to racing clean and not making mistakes at first.

You will find that racing faster people you will get faster. I also recommend picking several cars you like in different classes and stick with those for a while. Knowing how the car reacts will eliminate one source of screwing up in the race.

Also accept for many of us we will never be one of the fast guys but we can still have fun races among equally paced players. Just have fun. If you do not have a wheel and really want to enjoy the game buy one, you will not regret the added fun level!

I dont know how reaction time affects racing when one get older, but i know the more i drive the more i make instinctive moves vs reactive moves. And with time and experience one learns to be proactive even. Thats like time travel magic compared to teenagers reflexes..:cheers::lol:

I read a study once comparing the reaction times of F1 drivers with the general population and it found no significant difference. What they did find was that the F1 drivers could react to things before they happened.

thanks for all the feedback,very encouraging.I should have mentioned i`m not too concerned about winning,just want to be competitive,so i will upgrade to a quality sim.Daily drive is a SQ5 so paddles shouldn`t be an issue-thanks again-see you on the track!

I read a study once comparing the reaction times of F1 drivers with the general population and it found no significant difference. What they did find was that the F1 drivers could react to things before they happened.

It's the same in fighting. If you practice enough you'll see counters to your attacks so often that you can predict them. After that it's about narrowing your opponent's choices to force them into being more predictable so you can recounter or beat them to the punch.

Hmm. I wonder how fast a Jedi would've been in GTS. Would he frequently make it to the top-ten leaderboards? Since, from our perspective, he is an alien anyway though

Not admitting to be old, never! I'm 44 and experiencing more zen, calmness and sharpness than before. I'm clearly faster than say about 10 years ago.. It's the practice time that really matters. (GT Sport A/S rating)

Last edited:
Not admitting to be old, never! I'm 44 and experiencing more zen, calmness and sharpness than before. I'm clearly faster than say about 10 years ago.. It's the practice time that really matters. (GT Sport A/S rating)

I feel the same way. However when my wife hit around 40 she started complaining how fast and aggressive everyone drives on the freeway now compared to 10 years ago. I had to explain to her how as we get older time appears to pass relatively faster because we respond to things slower. So subjectively everyone will seem faster to you if your perception of time is degrading.

This article is a fun read that talks about the relative perception of time for small creatures with a high metabolic rate as well as the elderly.

Time passes more slowly for flies, study finds

I feel the same way. However when my wife hit around 40 she started complaining how fast and aggressive everyone drives on the freeway now compared to 10 years ago. I had to explain to her how as we get older time appears to pass relatively faster because we respond to things slower. So subjectively everyone will seem faster to you if your perception of time is degrading.

This article is a fun read that talks about the relative perception of time for small creatures with a high metabolic rate as well as the elderly.

Time passes more slowly for flies, study finds

I did not read the article yet but we must remember that our brains also have this amazing ability to process things at different rates. At 54 days seem to be about 1/2 the length they were when I was 19 but yet at 150MPH next to another car at equal speed it feels pretty similar to commuting to work every day. Anyone that has ever had a big crash at high speed can certainly confirm this. It is absolutely incredible how your mind slows these incidents down and how you can remember ever minor detail while it's happening (as long as you remain concious) and it seems like it takes forever for the car to finally stop when it's out of control and wrecking.

GTS is good for you but be careful if you have a preexisting high blood pressure condition...:D

Tell me about it. Last year I had a double whammy of THC withdrawal and a week long major event at work that coalesced into random hypertension attacks. GT Sport would also trigger it. For two weeks I had to resort to only playing Mudrunner in free roam while listening to Yacht Rock, to calm myself down.

Last edited:
Tell me about it. Last year I had a double whammy of THC withdrawal and a week long major event at work that coalesced into random hypertension attacks. GT Sport would also trigger it. For two weeks I had to resort to play Mudrunner to calm myself down.

Judging by some people's reactions in sport mode, they don't own Mudrunner.:lol:

I've been in races where my heartbeat gets intense so there must be a risk to some people. Scary thought.

Latest Posts

Back