Emirates Formula 1 70th Anniversary Grand Prix 2020Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 398 comments

Jimlaad43

GeoGuessr God
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Formula 1 returns to the second race of its second ever double-header this weekend at Silverstone. The high-speed corners played havoc on the teams in the British Grand Prix as 4 drivers had tyre failures, leading to Kvyat's massive crash and the dramatic conclusion to the race, which saw Lewis Hamilton win on 3 tyres. Pirelli's decision making is going to be in the spotlight in the run up to the race as they are planning to bring softer tyres for this second weekend. With the punctures on the hardest of the tyres (the one compound which won't be returning) and with even hotter temperatures predicted, expect the tyres to be a major talking point all weekend and 2 or 3 stop strategies being utilised for the race. Nico Hulkenberg's return ended as a damp squib as he failed to start the British GP after replacing the positively tested Sergio Perez, how will he and the tyres fare as we do it all again at the 70TH ANNIVERSARY GRAND PRIX!
image.png

First Grand Prix

Number of Laps

Circuit Length
5.891km

Race Distance
306.198 km

Lap Record
1:27.097 Max Verstappen (2020)

https://www.racefans.net/2020/08/04...es-ever-contributed-to-silverstone-punctures/
The plan to run the C4, C3 and C2 tyre will go ahead after Pirelli's investigation into the punctures at the end of the British Grand Prix.

Makes sense, logistically it would be way too difficult to get new compounds made and sent when it will already have been sorted. I expect there will be some intense investigations after practice and a lot of stringent pressure testing from the Pirelli techs. Upped pressures is sensible.

If the temps are going to be hotter, that may bring Red Bull back into the fight and the Racing Point appeared to be stronger in the heat as well so it may not be as clear cut for Merc if the higher temps to materialise.

Of course it will be a 2-3 stop race. They barely got to the end on one stop last week using harder tyres.

Only because they pitted early you genius.

It wouldn't surprise me if one team tried to stretch it and do a one stop. Start on hards finish on Medium. But you never know. We'll see how practice goes

It wouldn't surprise me if one team tried to stretch it and do a one stop. Start on hards finish on Medium. But you never know. We'll see how practice goes
The main flaw in that plan is that there are no hard tyres this weekend.

They're still classified as hard, its just a step softer

Indeed, so you're suggesting that someone could've done the first race on what were then Medium and Softs, but Hard and Medium this coming weekend. Not a chance. The mediums are good for ~25 laps max, softs ~20, but they'll lose pace on those long before that.

Indeed, so you're suggesting that someone could've done the first race on what were then Medium and Softs, but Hard and Medium this coming weekend. Not a chance. The mediums are good for ~25 laps max, softs ~20, but they'll lose pace on those long before that.

Stranger things have happened. Hopefully no one risks a blow out but the bottom teams might hail Mary it for points

Is one of the McLaren drivers potentially unable to race? Seeing a couple reports that Paul di Resta will be the reserve driver & is having his seat fitted, after 2 other drivers outside series were unavailable.

Is one of the McLaren drivers potentially unable to race? Seeing a couple reports that Paul di Resta will be the reserve driver & is having his seat fitted, after 2 other drivers outside series were unavailable.
No. Vandoorne and Gutierrez were their reserves for the season, but Vandoorne is on Formula E duty this weekend and Gutierrez can't get a superlicense. Di Resta has therefore been approached to be the reserve driver just in case.

I'm expecting to see some big strategy plays this week. I hope it delivers something special.

Interesting to see how Racing Point performs. They didn't have anything for McLaren or Renault last week. Not heard anything on Perez's condition. Assuming Hulk will get another chance?

Interesting to see how Racing Point performs. They didn't have anything for McLaren or Renault last week. Not heard anything on Perez's condition. Assuming Hulk will get another chance?

Perez still hasn't been cleared to race so I'd assume Hulk indeed gets another go.

Perez still hasn't been cleared to race so I'd assume Hulk indeed gets another go.

I don't see how he can be. If he was positive on Wednesday before the first Silverstone race then he was positive on Saturday, that puts him out of contention for both seven and ten clear days before the race, whichever metric F1 decide to use.

FIA mandates 10 days quarantine if you test positive.

Hes out for sure for this race

Back