Emissions scandals thread

I've been to a show in the Edinburgh Festival where Brodkin (as Lee Nelson) was the host. There was a guy in the front row about three seats away from me with a full pint (as the show had just started) and Brodkin asked him if he could have some.. the guy duly obliged and handed it to Brodkin who then downed the entire thing, much to the horror of the guy whose pint it was.

Last edited:
Now the punitive US federal government wants VW to build electric vehicles and install electric charging stations across the country as part of reparations.

That's like getting a speeding ticket and having to pay for everyone's driver training as part of your fine.

Now the punitive US federal government wants VW to build electric vehicles and install electric charging stations across the country as part of reparations.

That's like getting a speeding ticket and having to pay for everyone's driver training as part of your fine.
TBH it's actually a logical conclusion. Think about it - The diesels that were cheating have been putting out a massive amount of pollutants since the software was acquired in 2009 (IIRC). Making VW build electric vehicles will make them dramatically cut down on emissions if the electric cars sell well. In a way, it looks like the U.S. gov't is trying to pull VW out of its ditch through the punishment, like throwing a rope down a well to pull someone out of it.

http://gas2.org/2016/03/25/volkswagen-went-to-court-this-week-heres-what-happened/

- US may be asking for as much as $46B
- If the case between the US and VW goes to trial, it's going to take some time.

I'm going to dredge up an early post just so that we can see how far we've come from the beginning of this scandal.

How big do you think the penalty would need to be to force this outcome?

VAG have €20bn in cash and made €10bn after tax in 2014. 87% of their stock is controlled by only 3 investors, and the group itself has full control over 50% of the voting rights. They have 500k employees.

It's going to be painful short-term, but they will be fine in the medium/long-term.

Turns out the penalty in the US alone could be enough to do major damage... and that's just the beginning.

Of course, Japan has never had a big rush of diesel cars in the first place, so it's probably less of a problem there than it is here. One of the things that struck me when I was in Tokyo was how little noise traffic made. Part of that was that the roads were smooth so there was simply less road noise. The other part was that three quarters of the cars weren't diesels like they seem to be in London.

If you ignore people leaning on their horns, even New York over the past few days was relatively quiet, since most of the taxis are hybrids now.

Mentioned in the Mitsubishi Not Dead thread too but maybe more relevant here; Mitsubishi and Nissan stop sales of certain vehicles after Mitsubishi admit manipulating emission data. Mitsubishi.

VW Submits Plan To Fix Diesels,Offers To Buy Back Nearly 500,000 2.0L Cars

This morning attorneys for the United States, plaintiff lawyers representing consumers, and the Defendant Volkswagen announced a program where VW will buy back affected vehicles as well as compensate owners for their trouble. The deal will allow the German manufacturer to bring some certainty back to its operations, while also providing relief to disgruntled drivers.

And in Germany 630000 cars need to visit the doctor because of their naughty software.

Audi, Porsche, Volkswagen, Mercedes and Opel all are polluting more than allowed.

I wonder when all the other brands will be tested. I can't imagine that a single diesel engine out there is as clean as stated.

And in Germany 630000 cars need to visit the doctor because of their naughty software.

Audi, Porsche, Volkswagen, Mercedes and Opel all are polluting more than allowed.

I wonder when all the other brands will be tested. I can't imagine that a single diesel engine out there is as clean as stated.
Didn't one of the BMW X SUVs match it emissions testing?

The fines alone account for almost all of their cash. The recall could easily be half a decade of profits (assuming profits don't tank, which they will). And then there's the lawsuits. This is as serious as it gets for a company.

VW is setting aside 7B for the problem (they make 12B per year). There are 11 million cars affected, which puts the fix at less than $1000 per car. I think they'll need $5000 per car, which would be $55B, which is almost 5 years of profit. This company could go under.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/04/22/volkswagen-emissions-scandal-cost-18-billion/

So $18B up front for the US plus $5k per car. That's almost exactly what I predicted right after the story broke. How did I predict this so well?

Profits are down $4B, settlement (with the US at least) is $18B, and the payout (at least for US cars affected) looks like possibly $5k per car. If that payout were for all cars affected (which is an upper estimate), it would be $55B. So the upper estimate right now is $78B based on this year's losses and possible liabilities. That is truly staggering. The number of cars in the US that are affected is only like 0.5M, so if they refuse all other payouts the payout at $5k per car would be $2.5B. So the lower estimate right now is still $24.5B, assuming they could ditch all non-US responsibility. NOT LIKELY!

Welp you can kiss Mitsubishi goodbye then...
upload_2016-4-26_20-45-33.jpeg

TBH manufacturer stated fuel efficiency and emissions figures have always been nonsense. They are only now confirming what most consumers already knew, that the figures are usually unobtainable in the real world.

Back