Emissions scandals thread

Just a question but isn't it so that the higher the emmisions of a car, the higher the CO2 emmission is?

It's actually related to the amount of fuel used, as the combustion process makes heat and CO2 out of fuel and air -- plus several nonwanted compounds that should be held back or converted to nonhazardous compounds somehow. For petrol engines this is accomplished quite successfully by three-way catalytic converters, in diesel engines it's more complicated to control NOx and particulate matter as they are produced in greater quantity and can't be controlled by air/fuel mix and catalyzed easily because of the lower exhaust temperature.

Here are some diagrams from the ICCT report, they show nicely what's going on:
noxemissions.png

You see that the NOx emissions for Vehicle A and B (the VW vehicles) are a magnitude higher than emission standards (green line), but are in line with emission standards on the test bench (red bar labeled FTP-75), but Vehicle C (the BMW) has no such strange behavior.

Here is the same diagram for the CO2 emissions, all cars stay within emission standards on the test bench and in real life situations:
co2emissions.png

BBC are reporting VAG have admitted cheating on Euro emissions tests to German Transport Ministry.

What are you not getting?!
I'm not getting why you think corporate lobbying is a more moral alternative to fudging test numbers when part of your tirade is how corporations are held to a different ethical standard than individual people.

What I actually said was they should have lobbied for a more achievable low-emissions limit, which they did anyway.
That's nice. What I said was that any lobbying Volkswagen would have done would have been to get the engines to the same level they are now; because it stands to reason (albeit possibly not true) that what they are now is the best they can do based on the circumstances established in advance and the subterfuge was simply to hide that.

Do you think Volkswagen would lobby the US government to have emissions targets that are not as strict as are in place, but still more strict than VW can meet? Do you think Volkswagen is capable of better but simply didn't bother because they figured faking it was easier or whatever? The latter is certainly possible. Because otherwise your clarification is meaningless.

Not at all because you have been widely misrepresenting what I was actually saying; possibly deliberately, to try and strengthen your argument. Because I made it very clear what my point on the lobbying was. How you could have misunderstood is beyond me...
I didn't misunderstand or misrepresent anything. You still don't grasp that corporate lobbying isn't the inherently virtuous practice you're presenting it as; and it will continue to make your arguments about morality look ridiculous every time you preach it. It is no more "moral" for Volkswagen to use their corporate clout to have emissions targets softened to something they can reach than it is to fake test results to reach them but actually have their engines produce the best they can accomplish instead; because the end result is still pretty likely that Volkswagen engines are producing the amount of emissions that they are now.

Again with the 'money' argument?
You're not very good at this. You were the one who raised the topic. Suffice to say, when you say something like "it wouldn't have cost much money for them", the obvious response is going to try to refute that.

What is the "money" argument, by the way? I'd like to know what you're pretending bringing up the financial stakes involved, because it would make this easier when you continue to try and browbeat people with it.

As I said before corporations should have moral responsibility.
Unless they are doing things like corporate lobbying against the interests of public health, of course.

Yes they would have lost out on some profit, but Volkswagen were large and rich enough that it wouldn't have caused any business problems. Money is no excuse. They just chose to ignore environmental issues out of greed.
Again, who is "they"? And why is ignoring environmental issues alright if they get the government to back off those same environmental issues?

So you're suggesting it's possible only one engineer could have known about this 'Defeat_Device' software, before the engine was produced? Seeing as a prototype engine is tested thoroughly before being produced in volume for the mass market, there's no way that could have slipped through the net without others noticing.
Nope. I'm suggesting that 5 days into the scandal there's no basis to claim the corporate wide conspiracy to dodge emissions laws; which is kind of a necessary thing when that's what you basing your arguments on.

I'm taking it you've never actually seen a diesel and petrol engine side-by-side?
lol hypocrisy.

Their designs are different and they have different components, yes. But in the end all of those components are held together by nuts and bolts. All of those components can be handled by an assembly robot. All of those components can be sent down a conveyor belt. All of those components can be handled by a mechanic with a spanner and a screwdriver. They're different, but they're not chalk and cheese different.
They're different enough that it's ridiculous to assume that access capacity would be made up with petrol engines.

BBC are reporting VAG have admitted cheating on Euro emissions tests to German Transport Ministry.
This isn't a shock. The test they were cheating past has a limit of 50mg/mile and the real figures were 10-15 times higher than that in best case scenarios - 500-750mg/mile. The Euro6 limit is 80mg/km, so they were also exceeding that by a factor of about 4.

The VAG 'defeat device' was something of a surprise, primarily because I wasn't up to date on USA regs for diesel car emissions. But nothing will surprise me from any manufacturer in Europe.

The stories of manufacturers manipulating Euro tests have been doing the rounds for years - taped up shut lines, no door mirrors, removed interior trim/spare wheels, special maps that only work when the bonnet is up, 100psi tyre pressures, etc etc etc.

I expect they are all as guilty as each other... which I believe will help VAG's position when it all comes out.

Hopefully this whole debacle will be a catalyst for change for the European testing process and in the industry in general.

The stories of manufacturers manipulating Euro tests have been doing the rounds for years - taped up shut lines, no door mirrors, removed interior trim/spare wheels, special maps that only work when the bonnet is up, 100psi tyre pressures, etc etc etc.
Almost no part of that is necessary - the Euro6 is done on a rolling road with lookup table values for rolling resistance. And besides, it's a 20 minute test with nothing more strenuous than a 1mph/s acceleration at any point.

And then the results are copy/pasted into everything in the range with that engine, because reasons.

BMW is also under investigation.

You'll need to brush up your German.
Just so you know...

VW AG are not the only manufacturer implicated in this now. Two separate bodies are claiming they have evidence of other manufacturers either gaming the European tests or running test-specific maps. These include Daimler, BMW, Porsche, Ford and Opel.

Yep, the whole test process is a joke.

nothing more strenuous than a 1mph/s acceleration at any point.

I was going to laugh at that as being totally unrealistic... until I remembered the idiot that pulled out on me this morning and then proceeded to take a minute to accelerate to 30mph :mad:

ps; the term 'Gaming'... I assume this a Motor Manufacturers acronym for cheating ;)

I was going to laugh at that as being totally unrealistic... until I remembered the idiot that pulled out on me this morning and then proceeded to take a minute to accelerate to 30mph :mad:
Obviously hypermiling it...
ps; the term 'Gaming'... I assume this a Motor Manufacturers acronym for cheating ;)
Well, sort of. I mean, nothing in the rules says they have to pass the emissions tests a second time, so designing the car to pass it the first time is fine. Of course under US rules, having a device to do this is specifically illegal, but I'm not so sure it is in Europe.

And then there's hybrids, which can only achieve the figures in those circumstances and with a fully-charged battery.

And then there's Sport buttons, which increase carbon dioxide emissions by 10% or more. I drove a car earlier this year which was entirely mediocre in normal mode but a good car in sport mode. Because it had 30hp more and a better throttle map (and gearbox program on the auto). The manufacturer hobbled it into normal so that it got good CO2 figures for the emissions tests, but owners will drive it in sport mode because it's not rubbish.

Please don't give anyone ideas about regulating Sport Mode. Test drives are boring enough as it is...

So VW has supposedly admitted to cheating on the German test, as well (rather than just gaming it like everyone does)... there goes the idea of damage limitation out the window.

Now even BMW stocks are lagging.

Carmageddon Part Deux-sel, anyone?

Now even BMW stocks are lagging.
All German autos have dropped since last Thursday.

It seems like Audi has taken the worst of it though.

This whole thing is a shenanigan though really for those feeling "betrayed". Do you honestly look at the emission sheet when buying? No. You look at MPG, then power, then everything else you want. If you're actually conscious of the environment, then you're buying the wrong car to start with. No one (other than those looking to refute this) looks at emissions when buying any sort of motorized vehicle.

Last edited:
Carmageddon Part Deux-sel, anyone?

If more manufacturers are involved it would help VAG.

VAG are publicly admitting to cheating the European tests... most likely because they know they've only done the same as everyone else.

By doing this they will pull all the other manufacturers in by forcing them to admit to taking similar actions themselves.

Once this happens it becomes an industry issue, not a VAG specific problem.

Very clever spinning!

Just found out that the European test method is the same as it was in the 70's.

:dopey:
More or less. UDC is broadly the same as when first introduced in the 1970s, EUDC was added in 1980 and the last time the methods were really changed was 1997.

No one looks at emissions when buying any sort of motorized vehicle.

I do.

Anyone with a company car in the UK has a massive interest in emissions as their benefit in kind tax is calculated based on CO2 emissions.

There are 100's of 1,000's of company cars in the UK.

I do.

Anyone with a company car in the UK has a massive interest in emissions as their benefit in kind tax is calculated based on CO2 emissions.

There are 100's of 1,000's of company cars in the UK.

The same goes for pretty much every diesel in the Netherlands.

This whole thing is a shenanigan though really for those feeling "betrayed". Do you honestly look at the emission sheet when buying? No. You look at MPG, then power, then everything else you want. If you're actually conscious of the environment, then you're buying the wrong car to start with. No one looks at emissions when buying any sort of motorized vehicle.
From an American perspective, this is what "normal" and "car people" only look at here lol. :P Maybe it's different if you live in Cali'.

A diesel engine has a slight advantage on CO2 emissions, as it burns less fuel per work done, and so produces less C02. And diesel is massively advantaged in fuel prices leading to 0.2€ difference per liter compared to petrol in Germany -- that's almost a dollar per gallon.
That VW tried to pretend that this comes without a price to reduce the N0x and particle matter to emission standards is just shabby.

Back