Engine Swaps in Gran Turismo 7? New Screenshots Raise New Questions

• Thread starter Famine
  • 461 comments
Meh they clearly want to keep engine swaps rare and special.

I can live with that.
Okay, but does the "rare and special" engine basically give you a guaranteed win in online racing if nobody else in the race has it?

Okay, but does the "rare and special" engine basically give you a guaranteed win in online racing if nobody else in the race has it?

No because of PP ratings?

Its not like someone can turn up in a 700bhp RX7 and race against your 280bhp RX7 is the right settings are on is it?

It is not always possible to overnight a new engine from japan. Money or not.
It's a game though. Where the reality would get in the way of the fun, the developers have the ability to choose to make it fun. Or they can choose to make it not fun, but then why play game if not fun?

Masochists need not reply, just go back to punching yourselves in the dick.

No because of PP ratings?

Its not like someone can turn up in a 700bhp RX7 and race against your 280bhp RX7 is the right settings are on is it?
It doesn't follow from PP ratings that some upgrades aren't much better than others, it depends on how the PP is calculated. I don't know how good a job they've done in GT7, but in FH4, for example, some engine swaps were miles better than others.

It doesn't follow from PP ratings that some upgrades aren't much better than others, it depends on how the PP is calculated. I don't know how good a job they've done in GT7, but in FH4, for example, some engine swaps were miles better than others.

In PD we trust...

I think it's a better idea for swaps to be a rare reward, having everything be easily attainable leaves a stale taste imo.
I agree, the ease of doing it and the generic approach of Forza took the fun and novelty away from it. However, there's rare rewards and then there's 13 hours of gameplay without an engine swap even being a possible prize on a rigged roulette system.

There is a balance in there somewhere, it can still be a rare reward but be actually attainable. At this rate, we may never know how many there are and what cars will be able to benefit because it is based purely on the rigged roulette system and even when you get one, you don't know what it could be put in.

I hope the system gets improved because it is a much requested feature that appears to be done right from a technical standpoint. It's just there's only about 5 people who have actually done it.

I think winning an engine from a ticket would be really cool, but having that be the only way to acquire them permanently would be utter madness, an engine shop had better be in the works.

In general, I see a lot of problems with acquisition so far. I've only just completed the Pan-American championship, mind you, but I don't see how anyone's expected to get, say, the F50. It's sitting in the Legend Cars dealership for 3,300,000 (and Hagerty says it's going up). If it's not a prize car, and I am supposed to win the spicy Mini race (or hopefully something else) until I have that money, it almost certainly won't even be there when I have it!

It's like they wanted to add a certain sense of deflating realism to looking at nice things and being reminded you'll probably never have them.
There's Wish List in GT7 now, you can put the F50 in your Wish List and the game will notify you if it comes back (when you have that money).
I agree, the ease of doing it and the generic approach of Forza took the fun and novelty away from it. However, there's rare rewards and then there's 13 hours of gameplay without an engine swap even being a possible prize on a rigged roulette system.

There is a balance in there somewhere, it can still be a rare reward but be actually attainable. At this rate, we may never know how many there are and what cars will be able to benefit because it is based purely on the rigged roulette system and even when you get one, you don't know what it could be put in.

I hope the system gets improved because it is a much requested feature that appears to be done right from a technical standpoint. It's just there's only about 5 people who have actually done it.
The roulette system should not only give higher rewards at higher star, but also increases the chance to get the better rewards the bigger star they're. And true there should be another way to obtain the Engine Swaps or likely parts such as Weight Reduction 5 (and 4?) other than the Tickets (if it'd be kept rigged).

They can't put a livery editor in because all of the cars online will be covered with penises.
Almost like livery editors are what you make of them, and 99% of people are only going to be making race replicas and itashas.

For what it's worth, it once again goes to show how some in this forum are okay with Polyphony's way of doing things because it's better then Forza. Yeah, because this strategy is so much better.

Last edited:
*Cotton candy, for those of you in non-English-English-speaking countries
TIL 😭 Goddamn British people
They could have expanded the used car dealership or something to include these parts if they wanted to keep them a little rare. I wonder how long it will take to figure out what engines and compatible cars there will be. :indiff:
They definitely need to fix the UCD first. It updates WAY too infrequently and won't update unless a car is sold out or all the menus have been completed. So far for me it only updates with the appropriate menu book or if a car sells out. The only new car I found yesterday was the EK9 Touring Car, which kinda makes no sense to me personally because you can buy the MX-5 Touring Car from Brand Central even though its older.

I wonder if, by buying the limited stock and selling out, it'll update the next day because, if so, I guess that's another way to update the UCD; literally buying their entire stock :lol:
Almost like livery editors are what you make of them, and 99% of people are only going to be making race replicas and itashas.

For what it's worth, it once again goes to show how some in this forum are okay with Polyphony's way of doing things because it's better then Forza. Yeah, because this strategy is so much better.
Me when I went to created content and found like 99.9%* was just anime figures and itashas 🤣 isn't ALL shared content from Sport available in 7? I thought once it was shared it was able to be found in 7 too. Because it doesn't make sense that I can import a livery from Sport with all user created decals yet I can't look up those decals in 7.

I dig that engine swaps are rare. Sure the implementation may not be ideal - yet - but when you compare it to forza land everybody was awd v12 Swapped and it became boring online.
I do like that idea of perhaps an engine store that has a rarity factor on the most desired swaps, perhaps. But guys,

We. Have. Them. Now. 😅
Just goes to show you can't please everybody, and if the way they're implemented currently hurt you so much you can always fire up FH5 😋

Found on reddit

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220306_205021_com.andrewshu.android.reddit.png
    Screenshot_20220306_205021_com.andrewshu.android.reddit.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20220306_205014_com.andrewshu.android.reddit.png
    Screenshot_20220306_205014_com.andrewshu.android.reddit.png
    68.6 KB · Views: 22
It's as much of a dismissal of your point, as your comment did mine.

Can anyone name another AAA console game (or any game, really) that locks the single player progression behind an always-online requirement in order to 'prevent cheating'? I honestly can't think of any.

Dedicated online games like iRacing don't count.
Hitman but just because I can doesn't really diminish your point.

Lucked out on my first 4 star roulette ticket and got a M64/03-911 from the Carrera RS (iirc).
So far can only put it in a '66 Beetle or '62 samba bus. Retail price is apparently 126,500cr so I won't waste it :lol:
Well, that alleviates some of my concerns about the Sambabus! I was a little disappointed by the lack of customization options on it, but I’m relieved that we can in fact put Porsche engines in them. :D

I think it's a better idea for swaps to be a rare reward, having everything be easily attainable leaves a stale taste imo.
Being rare is fine. Being random is not.
And true there should be another way to obtain the Engine Swaps or likely parts such as Weight Reduction 5 (and 4?) other than the Tickets (if it'd be kept rigged).
There shouldn't be anything that's only available from the roulettes. That's the part of loot boxes that is the most like gambling and is the most frustrating. Even games that are hardcore into loot boxes or random loot usually implement some sort of pity timer so that there's a maximum amount of time you will have to grind before you're guaranteed whatever rare item you're rolling for.

If you were guaranteed an engine every five roulette tickets this would be a lot less of an issue. But if there is a pity timer, it seems like it's probably so high as to be largely meaningless.

Hitman but just because I can doesn't really diminish your point.
Had me scratching my head for a bit there until I remembered the first of the current Hitman phase had the always-online requirement; I'm fairly sure though that the later entries in the current phase dropped the online requirement due to fan backlash, and also include all the missions from the first game. The speedruns I've seen of them would be a nightmare if you had to sit and wait for server verification each time! Nope, they've kept the progression behind an online lock even up to the latest game, and are paying the price for it in the reviews - they are not favourable at all anymore! I wonder if the cracking community managed to find a workaround for that crap? They usually do.

Last edited:
Had me scratching my head for a bit there until I remembered the first of the current Hitman phase had the always-online requirement; I'm fairly sure though that the later entries in the current phase dropped the online requirement due to fan backlash, and also include all the missions from the first game. The speedruns I've seen of them would be a nightmare if you had to sit and wait for server verification each time! Nope, they've kept the progression behind an online lock even up to the latest game, and are paying the price for it in the reviews - they are not favourable at all anymore! I wonder if the cracking community managed to find a workaround for that crap? They usually do.
You can get a save that has everything unlocked so it becomes like a sandbox game. I play on PS5 though so I am at server mercy.

Interestingly, when you boot up Hitman in another console generation you get loads of Trophies (because they are sync'd) but when you switch on GT7 you only get ones you earn or trigger in the next sessions. As such, i think some might be missable but at the very least you need to repeat yourself a lot.

Last edited:
Absolutely not. It's obvious so many of you are from Forza or other arcade games and don't understand how real cars work.

I wonder which engines can be swapped into the Delorean. I what something with a turbo for it.
Nothing. It's only common engine swaps that make sense. It's not ****ing Forza.

It's obvious so many of you are from Forza or other arcade games and don't understand how real cars work.
Boy, this sure doesn't seem like a massive ego stroke.

Who's it to you that I don't understand how 'real cars' work? (especially hilarious considering this is GT we are talking about, on the same level as Forza) More over, what the hell is 'real cars' in this scenario? And how does it take away from the fact that the system that Polyphony has chosen for engine swaps is utterly blinkered and more proof of them trying to go towards a freemium game economy?

Back