Famine

GTP Editor, GTPEDIA Author
Administrator
United Kingdom
Rule 12
GTP_Famine
This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

Engine Swaps in Gran Turismo 7? New Screenshots Raise New Questions

The latest flurry of information from Polyphony Digital accompanying the special State of Play video for Gran Turismo 7 has answered a lot of questions, but it’s raised one pretty big one at the same time: are engine swaps coming to the series?

Last edited:
Ayyyy, I suggested something very similar on this forum in September.

"Complex engine swaps. The ability to buy any two cars, and swap the engines into each other. (as long as the engine would fit into the selected engine bay in the real world.) This could also result in a used engine market similar to the UCD, where you can buy engines from a section of the menu with mileage on it, Or buy brand new crate engines straight from the Manufacturers in Brand Central. I don't believe race engines should be barred from this, and instead should be balanced by requiring engine rebuilds and oil changes after every use similar to in the real world."

EDIT: Engine swaps open up so many possibilities for this game. This is massive. Imagine the having the ability to go to the BMW Brand Central, and buy a 3.5-litre M88/1 crate engine or something. The car the engines belong to don't even have to be in the game, all PD has to do is make sure the engines specs are all correct, and get the sound semi-close. No physical modeling needed.

Last edited:
I remember doing this in GT1 with a GameShark plugged into the expansion port, typing in the hex code for a Dodge Viper V10 engine onto my Cappuccino's engine memory addresses. The results were interesting, if not always entirely sane or realistic.

This will be cool, although I predict that either (a) it will be hedged with limitations on which engines are permitted into which cars, which people will complain about, or (b) people will complain that the game is permitting impossible swaps. I also predict that either engine-swapped cars will be explicitly excluded from most online competitions, or otherwise will become de rigeur in being competitive in races allowing modified cars.

Regardless, great to see, and should be fun and extend the game's lifespan.

This was my favorite part of today's State of Play stream. I have never had an XBox, but had a few interactions with various Forza Motorsport titles in the past (I don't remember which versions). One (or more) of those titles did support some very tasteful engine swaps. Really looking forward to finally getting a chance to do this in GT7.

This was one of the things that caught my attention, and I had to rewind the video on that part just to double check if my eyes weren't deceiving me (I just woke up when I watched a replay of the presentation). 500hp in a classic Beetle?? :eek: then I saw the engine code and displacement. 🔥

The engine swaps likely be limited between certain brands to each other like the Porsche-powered Beetle.

Doubtful we could do a LS swap Miata or put a K-car engine in a Viper but I could be proven wrong.
Would be awesome if it was like the engine swaps in NFS Heat. That was fairly limited, but you could do crazy things like stuffing a GT-R R35 engine into the 180SX, a McLaren V8 into the NSX Type-R '92, or an Alfa Romeo V6 into the Nissan 240Z.
I think this answers what is under the extreme tab in tuning section and why we have not seem it yet.
Good point.

Last edited:
The engine swaps likely be limited between certain brands to each other like the Porsche-powered Beetle.

Doubtful we could do a LS swap Miata or put a K-car engine in a Viper but I could be proven wrong.

I honestly would prefer it if that was the case. One of my biggest issues with engine swaps in Forza is that almost every car in the game always has one of three engines that you have to put in if you wanna max it out, making many cars feel the same. If each make has its own pool of engines to swap that would help preserve the identity of an individual car while also allowing for its performance ceiling to be raised.

Last edited:
I honestly would prefer it if that was the case. One of my biggest issues with engine swaps in Forza is that almost every car in the game always has one of three engines that you have to put in if you wanna max it out, making many cars feel the same. If each make has its own pool of engines to swap that would help preserve the identity of an individual car while also allowing for its performance ceiling to be raised.
Agreed. Rotary-Powered Miatas are waaaaaaaay cooler than any LS powered Miata.

Man, I can't wait to play with the tuning in this game.

Last edited:
Not that this needed any further confirmation (it's actually in the game), but Kaz retweeted this japanese post talking about it.

Could be limited to certain brands, but they're allowing exclusive brand/model paintjobs for every car, so who knows.

Anti-lag and 4 wheel steering options showing there too.

It'll likely be manufacturer limited if the engines are being named correctly. This is how Forza used to do it before shifting to generic (but guessable) engine swaps.

I'll never understand PD for downplaying new gameplay elements such as this.

They should be saying these things out loud to excite players for the new game. But they just give a hint in a screenshot.. 🤔

I must admit it's fun digging for clues, but on the other hand they are hiding the game's improvements from people who want to look on what's new in this game.

Latest Posts

Back