EPR: my review (so far)

• Thread starter Hun200kmh
  • 34 comments
Portugal
Lisboa
FLAT_TWELVE
Now that I have Enthusia (since last thursday) and have played it for a while, I'd like to share my thoughts on this game.

First, being EPR a PS2 game, it suffers from the fact that its competition (Gran Turismo 4) is the hardest you can get in the console gaming world. Several other racing titles in the last few years have suffered from the comparison with GT3 and, unless they were rally-only titles or for some reason had something that GT3 didn't have - like the "Le Mans" game, with long endurance races, dynamic weather, day/night, etc. - they ended up being trashed or considered "lesser" games.

Will this happen with EPR, now competing with GT4? I don't think so. While GT4 wins clearly in the presentation, graphics, number of cars, tracks, races, championships - and all this gives GT4 the overall victory - EPR still keeps you playing it, even if you already have GT4. Why?

First of all, because of the physics. I'm not sure they're perfect, but you must drive EPR to understand how much GT4 forgives your mistakes. After a few hours of EPR playing you get the impression that GT4 driving experience is a full "driver assisted" one. The best example concerns braking. In GT4 I usually know only two brake pedal positions: up and down (no braking; full braking) while in EPR full braking is something you shouldn't do unless you're (an expert player) in a straight line and even then it's a dangerous thing to do.

Secondly, because you must take an approach to racing in EPR with a completely different attitude. You will suffer heavily if you bump other cars or if you go off track. It seems honest and natural, but even the best GT players wouldn't have their fantastic win/lose ratio and overall scores without some bumps and wall riding here and there.

Thirdly, the AI. It may not be perfect but, from the few races I've made so far, I got surprised how I keep making silly mistakes and all the other cars keep avoiding me. Nothing like the GT AI dummies that put you off track if you are side by side with them and you're in the correct line to approach the next corner.

However, there are a few flaws in the "physics departement": Surprisingly, it is easier to lose control of your car in track than off track. Last night I did one lap in the Nurb with the LMP Nissan and the first time I put two wheels off track at high speed, I thought "ok, I lost it". But it was relatively easy to avoid spinnng and get the car back on track. I'm sure that in GT4 I would have lost the car.

Driving Revolution, the only part of this game that I have been intensively playing, is a lot of fun, and IMO better than the license tests in GT4. It ends up being easier to get an "S" in the DR stages than to get gold in GT's license tests, but the learning curve is much more interesting, considering the far greater complexity of the car's behaviour.

I didn't get very much into racing and I didn't even start "Enthusia Life" (the career mode), because after a few (horrible) attempts with free racing I realized I still had much to learn. Most of all I have to learn the tracks. There's no way you can be competitive in EPR unless you have at least a litle knowledge of the tracks. Apart Tsukuba and Nurb, they're all new to me (to us all) and since you can't go off track or bump cars or walls, racing in EPR can be a very humiliating experience, most of all if you consider yourself a veteran experienced racer, that has already beaten GT3, GT4, and every other racing game you have ever played, be it in the PS2 or in the PC.

One other negative note to EPR concerns the structure of this game: It is very confusing, and I don't have a clear notion about how do you unlock tracks and how do you unlock cars. I guess that the DR mode will allow me to unlock all cars (but I'm not sure if that means that they will be allavailable in FR, TA and EL or in just some of these other modes), but I also know that there are other ways to unlock cars (roulette in EL, all cars behind you in FR). About tracks, I'll have to get into racing to get a definite idea about how to unlock them, both to the TA and FR modes.

Then again, I won't just say that this is a flaw, because it may not be fair to give to EPR a negative note here. The fact is that this is the first EPR, not the 4th. And I guess that when we get to EPR 4 we will all have lots of FAQs available and we'll all already know, even before the game is released, how does it work and how do we progress in order to "beat it" completely.

Concluding, I think EPR is a great game, I hope Konami will invest in future versions of it and I hope that we may have a "war" between them and Polyphony Digital (and, why not, other developpers of racing sims) to provide us players with the best racing games they all can squeeze out of the PS3.

Just because of the graphics, and because I don't like the somewhat confusing game structure I don't rate EPR 5/5, but it sure deserves my 4/5.

So, 👍 👍 👍 👍 to EPR.

Hun200kmh
Will this happen with EPR, now competing with GT4? I don't think so. While GT4 wins clearly in the presentation, graphics, number of cars, tracks, races, championships - and all this gives GT4 the overall victory - EPR still keeps you playing it, even if you already have GT4. Why?

I have to say a very well writtten review and your about right in your conclusions. I have been playing EPR more than GT4 or Forza and I'm not really sure why.

I think it has to do with the way it feels and the just one more go factor. It looks like the ugly sister compared to the other 2 but beauty is only skin deep :)

Jeff

Great review; you're right about pretty much everything. I agree with your comment about the LMP Nissan, because I feel that the R class cars have a little too much grip, but I think you still might be underestimating the ability of a car to retain control with two tires in the grass...

Excellent review. You earn cars in both free races (if you don't receive ANY penalties or flags) and in Enthusia Life mode via raffles at the end of races you place fourth (I think) or higher.

The physics definitely make it addictive. I think my favorite aspect is the visual presentation; it's not as drop-dead gorgeous as GT, but the VGS system and the "frame" are too cool. I LOVE how the objects and cars "blur" as you fly by. :)

Couldn't have put it better myself. Very good review. I'm gonna write to Konami and tell them that they'd be fools to not release a sequel.

I've rented it this weekend because I wasn't convinced by the demo and I will buy it this week! It is much better than I expected and the Nurburgring (the big flaw in Forza) is fantastic. Also the replays look very nice wich is very important to me. Grafics are very very close to GT4's and the physics are realistic and challenging. The physics engine reminds me a bit of R-racing though the controls in Enthusia are less sensitive. A bit more stick-response would have been nice but overall this is a very good effort by Konami and a welkome addition to my racegamescollection.

Thanks for the compliments on the review! :)

As my first post was made before I even tried Enthusia Life, and since EL is what I've been doing these last days, I'd like to share with you my experience in this mode, being it just another way to continue my review of this game. So, I'm sorry if it's too long and boring, but here goes ...

I decided that my first Enthusia Life would serve specially the purpose of learning tracks, rules and to drive different cars of the game. For a bit of irrelevant info, I also decided to run it in blue cars, except for the cars that don't have this color available (this is just a silly rule of mine, that came from GT3 playing. Whenever I buy a car, I choose the same or similar color. In GT3 I had lots of "careers", at least one "white", one "red", one "yellow" and one "black". The GT4 career was a "white" one)

My other own personal rules for this career would be to keep the cars only until I got them to tuning level 10, and to try as many tracks as possible (with the advantage of unlocking them to FR and/or TA). I knew this would prevent me from getting to the 1 spot fast, but I don't really care much about it, as long as I keep having fun playing the game.

My (blue) cars so far have been:

The new beetle - nothing much to say, it's a uninspiring car. Since it was my first car I played it in novice races. I could win them without much trouble and as soon as I got the car to tuning level 10 I switched to ...

the Lancia Delta Integrale - A great car, that made me progress fast in the ranks. I got some wins with nice odds in this one (top at 4.5) and it wasn't without grief that I had to abandon it when reaching tuning level 10. Then, searching the cars available, I switched to ...

The BMW Z4 3.0 - Unlike the beetle (FF) and the Lancia (4WD), this is a RWD. Anyway, it is a very forgiving car and I didn't have much trouble to learn how to feather the throtle with more care (and to drift a lot more). But, with this car (and I don't know if it was because of my progression in the ranks or because of the car I was driving) some new tracks became to the weekly list. I had some trouble with reverse Loweseenring (sp?) and, specially, with Burgenschlut (sp?) and, after this one, where I battled more than I should with a Merc SLR, I had to rest one week because I depleted all my Enthu points (the shame, the shame). Soon after that rest I got the car to level 10 and I abandoned it, switching to ...

The Skyline R34 Nurb - Another 4WD, much more powerful than the Lancia. Easy to drive, very fast, allowed me another quick progression in the ranks. With it I won Dragon Range and Dragon Range reverse (this one with good odds, running against a Caterham), and I only got humiliated in Wintertraum (I hate this track, never returned to it after noticing it got unlocked in FR and TA). With this car I got my ranking up to bellow 100th. I don't miss it because I don't like Skylines very much (I guess the GT games and their "Skyline mania" have some responsability in this), but it was afer taking it to tuning level 10 and switching car again that I had troubles. Because I switched to ...

the Jaguar XJR - I returned to a RWD car, but this one wasn't as forgiving as the BMW Z4. So, after some great scores with the Skyline, I really had o lot of trouble before I could "dominate" this beast. It was another learning curve, that took me down to about 180th in the ranks. However, I got back from it and when this car reached tuning level 10 I was back at the bellow 100th (about 70th, I think). By this time I thought I really had to pick more powerful cars, but I didn't want to go to race cars then (the only "R" car I had unlocked was - and still is - the 2003 R8) so I switched to the...

BMW M3 GTR road car - This is my current car (it's the only "not blue", because the colour isn't available). Another RWD, much better, and faster, than the Jaguar. I can easily win one-make races, but I'm just waiting for it to reach tuning level 10, because I always get poor odds with it (best I got was 3.0 in the one-make race), and sometimes, even with low odds I get some other much more powerful car (with even lesser odds) , like RUFs that are very difficult to keep behind and almost impossible to follow when they get in front.

By now, I'm at 40th spot in the ranks, and - if I understand corrrectly the calendar - I'm in July of the second year.

Two positive apreciation notes:

a) I'm not so sure anymore that Enthusia is much smaller than GT4. The fact is that I don't know, because I don't have a list of the possible races, and they change if you change cars. If every car in Enthusia has "one-make races", that brings the amount of just these races to more than 200. With the BMWs I got german car races, with the Jaguar I got saloon car races and english car races; with the Skyline I remember to have 4wd races, and I also remember to have (don't know with which cars) "under 3000", "under 4000" and other categories of races. I hope that someone in the near future will make a list of all the races each car can enter, so we can have a full list of the Enthusia races.

b) The cars are amazingly different from each other and I'm glad that I decided to keep switching cars (even if that prevented me and will prevent me to get to 1st spot as fast as I hipotetically could), because it allowed me to "refine" my driving, and the knowledge of the tracks, using different cars.

Two negative apreciation notes:

a) One thing that should've been definitely avoided is a rally track ... inside a cave (!!!). Why did the konami guys spoiled with such a unrealistic environment this - otherwise - nice rally track layout????? I hope they leave this kind of BS in their next racing game, be it EPR 2 or anything else. It's like they go completely looneys and make a stadium inside a cave (or - why not - inside a space station) for Pro Evolution Soccer 5! How would the PES fans react to that? Well, just as I react to a "cave track". With horror and disbelief!!!!!.

Speaking of tracks, and this is more a personal dislike than truly something wrong in the game, but I don't like (never did) city tracks, and Enthusia is full of them. I would like to have more circuits.

b) The odds system isn't completely fair, even considering that we get points for second and third place. When I go to a 3-lap race around the Nurb, with my M3 GTR getting a poor 1.9 in the odds and then I get a RUF CTR with 1.5, that means it will be (at least) a very hard race to win. In fact, I managed to keep the RUF behind me almost all of the first lap. but in the long straight either it was impossible to keep him from passing. And, after he got through, I never had the chance to get even near to him. I lost about 7 seconds per lap in laps 2 and 3, and I think I drove quite well.

👍 Very good review 👍

i only bought the game yesterday as i was a little bit concerned about how realistic it would be.

now (after a few hours of racing) i can allready say that this game is very nice, it's a shame to see how it is underappreciated by many.
Only one thing i would have liked to see differantly is the car upgrading system: now they give you a certain amount of point and then you upgrade the car you are driving automatically.
i would have liked to see a system where you have to bet your own many (as with the odds you get) and that you can use that money to buy parts, not upgrades. with that could come a more realistic system of tuning.
What they did very well and schould keep in future sequels is that upgrades points are given to a certain car, and are not transferable to an other car.
As where in GT4 after a certain amount of time you get too much money and you can just purchase a car, tune it to a max without ever having driven it, and still have more than enough money in the bank.

1 thing for sure, cars in enthusia is totally different from each other.

For example, a FF civic type-r is very safe and you can throw it around corners and throttle it without worrying too much because it will only understeer.

FR cars will have you on your toes(I actually think some cars are wayyyyy to lose eg the ac cobra)

While 4wds are a mixed bunch. Most are neutral with a bit of understeer while accelerating(skylines, evo) while some like the V70R and RS6 have quite a lot of understeer.

You can never get this in GT4(its very subtle).

plus another good point......it SUPPORTS MY BLACK MOMO WHEEL!!!! 👍

TsLeng

FR cars will have you on your toes(I actually think some cars are wayyyyy to lose eg the ac cobra)

Well, I don't know if their behaviour is faithfully recreated or not, but I must tell you, updating my above post, that after getting the M3 GTR to tuning level 10 (placed 34th in the ranks) I switched to a TVR Tamora and that thing is UNDRIVEABLE !!!! Really, compared to it the Jaguar I complained about before is now remembered as a very well balanced car.

However, I will not give up even if that TVR gets me back to novice races and to 700th in the ranking. I'm gonna tame that Tamora !!! :mad:

Hun200kmh
Well, I don't know if their behaviour is faithfully recreated or not, but I must tell you, updating my above post, that after getting the M3 GTR to tuning level 10 (placed 34th in the ranks) I switched to a TVR Tamora and that thing is UNDRIVEABLE !!!! Really, compared to it the Jaguar I complained about before is now remembered as a very well balanced car.

However, I will not give up even if that TVR gets me back to novice races and to 700th in the ranking. I'm gonna tame that Tamora !!! :mad:

Hahahaha.

wait till you try the AC cobra. You will be crazy........... :crazy:

Even with a wheel, I can barely drive it.

TsLeng
Hahahaha.

wait till you try the AC cobra. You will be crazy........... :crazy:

Even with a wheel, I can barely drive it.

I don't have the AC Cobra unlocked yet, but I'll sure give it a try: Anyway, The Tamora is now history, I got it to level 10 and I learned how to drive it (sort of) but in the process I lost more than 140 places in the ranking, because I left that car - without regrets - ranked 187th. :grumpy:

I switched to a ASL Garaya, not so powerful (about 200 hp) but a lightweight car. It's a well balanced car, I just had to adjust the suspension to avoid the understeering in acceleration.

This car is now at tuning level 7 and with it I got back to 48 in the rankings. The RS races have became available once again. I already decided that I'm gonna try the Tommi Makkinnen Evo next, because I noticed in the RS races calendar that there are lots of rally races to come in the next weeks.

After that, I think I'll go on to Race cars because I want to start unlocking them and test them. When I'm satisfied with this "test-cars career", I'll go for the number one spot ... at least I hope I get there :dopey:

Hmm I rented this and I don't really find it all that great. The tuning of game is below par. I have a hard time trying to make the cars feel right. The whole game feels very Japanese too. Which really isn't bad its just not me.

I only tried it with the DFP in 900 mode and it's weak. It works beautifully with the DF, though, so I assume it'd work similarly with the DFP in 210 mode...

BlazinXtreme
Hmm I rented this and I don't really find it all that great. The tuning of game is below par. I have a hard time trying to make the cars feel right. The whole game feels very Japanese too. Which really isn't bad its just not me.

You need to be a total(well close to 100%) sim freak to enjoy this game. :)

A wheel wouuld be a necessity too because i don't really enjoy it with the DS2 until i realised my wheel can be used. 👍

I don't have a wheel for the PS2, I found it to be a waste of my money to be honest. There are only a handful of games I would use it for.

I like sim games, but I wouldn't call EPR a sim, I mean there isn't even any tuning options for the car. The only car I've driven in the game and in real life is the Beetle, it feels way to odd in EPR and in GT4 it feels a little better. I guess I really need the wheel to make the call.

I don't know I'm not really enjoying the game all that much.

BlazinXtreme
I don't have a wheel for the PS2, I found it to be a waste of my money to be honest. There are only a handful of games I would use it for.

I like sim games, but I wouldn't call EPR a sim, I mean there isn't even any tuning options for the car. The only car I've driven in the game and in real life is the Beetle, it feels way to odd in EPR and in GT4 it feels a little better. I guess I really need the wheel to make the call.

I don't consider tuning options as a "simulation" feature. Having more or less tuning options has more to do with the whole gameplay concept. In that regard, EPR takes a very different approach from GT4, where you can change pieces of your car.

I really don't feel qualified enough to discuss how accurate both these games are, because I've never tried to take corners above 200 kmh with a very powerful car and I really don't know how does it react. Anyway, I keep what I said in the first post. Driving in Enthusia is a much more chalenging experience than in GT4. And that makes this game fun. It "feels" more real than GT4, but I could be mistaken.

About the wheels, I drive with a DF (bought when I bought GT3) and - having tested the DFP in GT4 and GT4P - I don't feel the need to buy one myself. The DF is a very good wheel and it works perfectly with GT3, GTC, GT4P, GT4 and EPR.

Unlike you I think that just these 5 games are more than enough reasons to "waste your money" in a DF, or even a DFP. There's no comparison in the joy you get from driving them with the wheel or with the DS2.

I can't justify spending that kind of money, what are they 120? A few games doesn't make me want to go out an drop that kind of money on something, when I have other more important things to pay for.

If you enjoy GT4, then the DFP is a must. Yes, it's pricey, but on a scale of 1 to 10 with GT4 being a 9 by itself; the DFP makes it a 15, IMO. I can't put into words how much more immersive it is than the controller. You can actually feel the difference in drivetrains; FF's feel heavier and more resistant than FR's... *Drools just thinking about it*. Plus if you've got more than one racing game you can have super happy fun time with 90% of them with a wheel.

With a wheel, you can drive any car more effectively because:

1. Steering and throttle inputs are more progressive.
2. it feels more 'real'
3. slides are easier to correct and hold.

We I was DS2 user for all the GT series 1, 2, 3 & P but for GT4 my Dad bought a DFP and as soon is I got used to it well I will never go back to constantly Playing GT4 with a pad. We have just got Enthusia today and as i speak my dad is enjoying the mode where you have to go through time point at the right speed to get a perfect or whatever, I will give this game a go but from what i can see it reminds me or Emotion type s, and as we all know that game was poor.

I will reserved judgement till i play the game and post back when given it a proper go.

[edit]

Well ive just had a go on it and what a pile, sorry but this game is not my cup of tea, the cars are un-risponsive, too light steering, and no feel through the DFP at all. Im sure if you are prepared to put the time an effort in to a game you get alot more out of it, but as for what ive played im not prepared to spend hours mastering what promises to be a lackluster attempt by Konami at a racing sime game.

you steer your car and it just drifts wide and hits the wall, so when you slowdown you steer and it drifts wide like you are on glass, and yes i was using a DFP @ 900° with the driving aids fully off.

BlazinXtreme

I don't play Enthusia with a wheel, perfect steering nevertheless....

EPR is the ultimate sim on PS2, tuning has nothing to do with a driving simulation, because a driving sim wants to simulate the driving aspect, you could say that Enthusia is no tuning simulation.....

I've driven several cars in real life and in Enthusia, best example maybe my everyday ride the 02 STi and the behavior and sound of the car is very exact... more than GT4.... You have however to get used to the steering and the countersteering with DS2....

sprite
...Im sure if you are prepared to put the time an effort in to a game you get alot more out of it, but as for what ive played im not prepared to spend hours mastering what promises to be a lackluster attempt by Konami at a racing sime game.

you steer your car and it just drifts wide and hits the wall, so when you slowdown you steer and it drifts wide like you are on glass, and yes i was using a DFP @ 900° with the driving aids fully off.

Initially, the cars are extremely hard to handle, but once you get a handle on the physics and begin levelling up the cars it becomes an entirely different beast. Give it more time. If you don't, you'll be missing out on one of the best driving games this console generation. And I'm not exaggerating. I "finished" it a week ago, and I'm still playing...

As far as the DFP goes; this game wasn't designed to take advantage of 900 degrees of the DFP. The 210 degree setting should be much better...

WeAreN1nja
As far as the DFP goes; this game wasn't designed to take advantage of 900 degrees of the DFP. The 210 degree setting should be much better...

Who told you that? Enthusia was designed to take advantage of 900degrees, hell! They got their own 900degree wheel for enthusia, and the FFB is very good(Im using 3rd option, the one with most 'strenght'). At least konami isnt trying to give you more feedback than you would have in real life on a wheel.

Bought this one. Excellent physics. Decent graphics. Moderate car selection. WHERE THE HELL IS THE D-PAD control?!? Hello Konami! If game designers have been making games compatiable with the D-pad since at least the '80s why is it not included on this game? I hate driving with sticks. I'd get a wheel but no money right now. Unfortuneatley due to the lack of D-pad control I'll be returning this otherwise promising looking game. Damn.

Try using Strong on force feedback option for the DFP. Makes a huge different compared to the default Medium setting. Think the Medium setting is a bit on the light side.

Bullitt73
Try using Strong on force feedback option for the DFP. Makes a huge different compared to the default Medium setting. Think the Medium setting is a bit on the light side.

It's the same with the DF. It was one of the first adjustments I made after I started playing this game (of course my first adjustment overall was to turn the music OFF, but that was even before I started playing it :D )

Back