Euro 2016 Qualification Thread

• Thread starter Famine
  • 480 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
0 goals, 0 assists for Depay in 10 games. 👍
When he stops being selfish he'll get better. Right now no great player can get away with being selfish...except Robben.

I feel so sorry for the Netherlands, I just hope all the young talent adds up perfectly one day. Knowing the current nature of football, that might take a while.

It's a given that this would happen with an expansion to 24 teams, about half of the number of UEFA nations, but you have to give credit where it is due for these teams doing so.

And let's not forget that the initial format has expanded from 4 teams to 8 to 16 and now to 24 anyway.

I think that's neglect, not independence.

I hadn't picked up on the expansion of teams, but for them to beat Denmark and Serbia (who I thought were better than their group results show...) is pretty special. I guess the expansion does give a little more incentive to those fringe teams.

Austria won 9 out of 10 games.
Wales kept a clean sheet in 7 matches.
The Faroe Islands are better than the 2004 European Champions...

What were my predictions again?

Another turn up for the books. Along with the Greeks collapsing at home to the Sheep Islands, Albania and NI going through automatically and Iceland topping a far from easy group. Even with a mere shadow of a Dutch team to contend with. For a Welsh team lacking in depth though, I'm actually pretty chuffed to see them make it with a respectable set of results.

Now throw in Bosnia, ROI, Norway and Hungary as possible play-off winners and we'll have ourselves a very interesting roster for next year.

Last edited:
Great night for Wales (yes, another one!) it was only a standard 2-0 win over Andorra but the fans were incredible and it made for a great night, loved the atmosphere, such an amazing achievement, still cant get my head around it!

Don't really know what to say about Holland, one would've expected them to qualify quite comfortably even with a team that appears to be in transition, long way to fall since the World Cup.

A reminder that the Play Off draw is on Sunday from 10am and the draw for the group stage of the finals is in mid December, the 12th I think??

This can still be done.

Yes.

No. It would be one of those "draw at home, lose away" scenarios.

Yes. Please draw Hungary so we (Anglo-Irish expat community) can go watch in Budapest.

Yes. They're a beatable team with or without Dzeko. (W1 D1 vs Wales but lost a game each against Israel and Cyprus, in addition to as-expected Belgium)

Yes. Not as good as they used to be.

He might have been if the Czech fans were voting (and the Turkish, if they didn't win).

Are you sure?
Errr, now I'm not.:lol:

I don't know where you've got those rankings from, but I got the possible opponents from an Irish sport site. I took a screenshot of the Wikipedia page you linked, I assume it was recently updated.

image.png

Errr, now I'm not.:lol:

I don't know where you've got those rankings from, but I got the possible opponents from an Irish sport site. I took a screenshot of the Wikipedia page you linked, I assume it was recently updated.
No, you are right. I looked at the country coefficients, not the national team coefficients.

So, the Netherlands won't be playing any competitive matches until September 2016.

A friendly against Germany in November, against France in March and against England just before the EC.

Look on the bright side, that means they can't lose any important matches for nearly a year!

It's the first time since Korea/Japan that our summer won't be an orange filled drinking to you can't see the massive screen in the middle of town summer.

That's going to be weird.

It's the first time since Korea/Japan that our summer won't be an orange filled drinking to you can't see the massive screen in the middle of town summer.

You could always cheer on your neighbours. Go Belg-oh... uh, Go German-ah... I forgot. Reasons.

:)

At least we can watch the tournament without nail-biting moments. Brazil was terrible for the fingernails.

Plus they're not the worst team in Belelux. So you've got that to be cheerful about.

Drive a couple of hours and you'll encounter just that over the border ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back