Euro Truck Simulator 2 Is Still One of the Best Selling Steam Games After Six Years

Perfect example of how PC gamers will play anything because they have nothing interesting to play. Not to crap on this game specifically, I'm sure its great but looking at the list of somehow popular games on steam, it's no wonder that its been years since a PC exclusive got nominated for game of the year while last year, 4 of the 5 best games were console exclusives (the odd one out being Neir Automata, a sequel to a console exclusive) in addition to console exclusives winning 3 of the last 5 years (go to gotypicks if you want clarification).

Games > Hardware. Consoles have the best games every year. Console master race. :lol:

I'm surprised ETS2 has become a best-seller, despite a lot of people make fun of it. I love it, personally. It deserves it. I'm not embarrassed to admit I have nearly 400 hours in it (and 200 in ATS).

This is what I love PC gaming. It's more open to concepts like these, rather than focusing on appealing the greater audience. A game like this would never make it on console.

I always thought that truck simulators & farming simulators were very geeky. However, I can kind of see the appeal...

I'm not a fan of racing games, but really like ETS2. And it's not about the "relaxing" bit. It feels kind of like an open-world RPG to me. There is a very big world to explore (even bigger with mods), you go where you want, take the jobs you want, discover new places, gain XP that you can use to advance your stats, get better and better gear (and tonnes of cosmetics for inside and outside). You have to go to rest-stops and sleep, or get some fuel (also it's much cheaper in some countries, so you can plan ahead, where it pays to get ita if you are close to multiple borders). And you can even create your own company with employees that can do the work in the background, while you are out there chilling. There is a lot more to it, than just taking cargo from point A to point B.

That's why it's seels so good. It caters to a much broader crowd than just "car games" fans.

My brain says: "WTF are you doing, we're just sitting here for no reason and with no challenge??"
My heart says: "STFU and sit down and watch the scenery go by for a while."
My brain sits down and watches for 3 hours straight.

I saw on steam yesterday there were 22,000 people playing this game, which mainly consists of driving at 55mph and using their turn signals. The awkward IoMTT game had 40. Last few times I looked at pCARS2 I think it said 5-700 at most. It's quite an enjoyable game when in the mood, but it would sure be nice if somehow realistic racing games could find a way to get at least a sliver of that.

Perfect example of how PC gamers will play anything because they have nothing interesting to play. Not to crap on this game specifically, I'm sure its great but looking at the list of somehow popular games on steam, it's no wonder that its been years since a PC exclusive got nominated for game of the year while last year, 4 of the 5 best games were console exclusives (the odd one out being Neir Automata, a sequel to a console exclusive) in addition to console exclusives winning 3 of the last 5 years (go to gotypicks if you want clarification).

Games > Hardware. Consoles have the best games every year. Console master race. :lol:

Ya, that's wrong.

I am predominately a PC Gamer and I'm pretty much awash with interesting games to play - several of which are PC only games. Yes, there's a bunch of crap games, but there's a bunch of crap games for every platform. I have 625 Steam games in my library and while I've picked up some bad ones over the years, many of them are worth my time to play.

Also, last year Players Unknown Battleground was nominated for GOTY (The Game Awards), which isn't a console exclusive. Titanfall 2 was on there as well. If you want to go by BAFTA, 2017 saw What Remains of Edith Finch, Assassin's Creed Origin, and Hellblade. But really, GOTY like the Oscar for the Best Motion Picture, is largely subjective and doesn't really classify a game as good or not - mainly because there are a ton of GOTY awards.

One of my favorite games of all time was MS Flightsim 2004 ACOF. Most of the fun was about downloading some new thing whether it was a plane or a bit of scenery or whatever and then just flying around. It really was enjoyable to just fly around "the world" looking at the scenery. I totally get the appeal of something like ETS2...

I'm not a fan of racing games, but really like ETS2. And it's not about the "relaxing" bit. It feels kind of like an open-world RPG to me. There is a very big world to explore (even bigger with mods), you go where you want, take the jobs you want, discover new places, gain XP that you can use to advance your stats, get better and better gear (and tonnes of cosmetics for inside and outside). You have to go to rest-stops and sleep, or get some fuel (also it's much cheaper in some countries, so you can plan ahead, where it pays to get ita if you are close to multiple borders). And you can even create your own company with employees that can do the work in the background, while you are out there chilling. There is a lot more to it, than just taking cargo from point A to point B.

That's why it's seels so good. It caters to a much broader crowd than just "car games" fans.
I gave ETS a try and didn't enjoy it, but Spintires: Mudrunner is a similar kind of trucking RPG that is very engaging and challenging. I get the appeal of ETS, but for me it turned out to be way more fun to explore the Siberian woods and struggle at 0.1mph through muddy ruts and rivers than to cruise at 60mph from city to city. :)

"The most boring game in the world" - said one game review site many years ago... But I disagree.

It's the most relaxing (driving) game in the world. There's just something so soothing about driving a truck on the highway, I don't know what, but there is, and I love it.

I would actually agree that these types of games are boring, but that's what makes the second part of your post right on (in other words, it's the right kind of boring). In a world where everything is expected to be done as fast as possible, it's nice to do something where the objective is to take things slowly.

What an absolute load of bollocks.

PC has all of the best driving sims, genres that are hardly on console like RTS, MMO, CRPG, flight sims.

I love my PS4 for it's exclusives sure, but 90% of the time I'm on my PC as that's where I have the most open and diverse gaming experience.

Latest Posts

Back