Europe - The Official Thread

My understanding is that whilst we've no agreement in place over the specifics and whilst we are currently in the 2 year Article 50 window, we can still change our minds.

**** knows what that would do the UK political landscape. I'm pretty sure there'd be a lot of rioting.

305 days remaining.

Do either of you (@Touring Mars ) actually think that if the EU did carry out those reforms? I'm still struggling to imagine us leaving with nothing in place or any idea what to actually do, in-regards to anything.

You guys think that if the EU said, we are doing X then politicians could postpone Brexit indefinitely?
While I think the EU is being 'driven towards' reform, I fully expect that the EU will actually double-down on doing the exact opposite and push towards ever-greater integration - at the expense of weaker economies and those who no longer wish to be a part of it.

However, even if the EU said tomorrow that they are going to 'reform', the chances of it actually happening any time soon are remote - indeed, the process would be so slow that it is perhaps more likely that Brexit will happen and then the UK may decide to rejoin at a later date, like in 10 years time... if the EU still exists by then that is!

While I think the EU is being 'driven towards' reform, I fully expect that the EU will actually double-down on doing the exact opposite and push towards ever-greater integration - at the expense of weaker economies and those who no longer wish to be a part of it.

However, even if the EU said tomorrow that they are going to 'reform', the chances of it actually happening any time soon are remote - indeed, the process would be so slow that it is perhaps more likely that Brexit will happen and then the UK may decide to rejoin at a later date, like in 10 years time... if the EU still exists by then that is!

Hey, if this logic is followed full circle, we might never leave :lol:

"France is once again paying the price of blood but will not cede an inch to enemies of freedom."

President Croissant. May 13th.

Freedom shrinking in France. Something completely normal and fun to do until recent years, is now banned.

France bans 'big screen' zones for World Cup over terror fears

The measures are unchanged from the last Euro cup. Big screen zones will be allowed (as before) with the same caveat that they must have an enforcable, searchable perimeter. That means that big screens in open marketplaces (as an example) are out, big screens on sports pitches are not. Le Monde.

Last edited:
Without checking all the facts because I have better things to do; I hope public events aren't being constricted because of any fear of terrorism.
"Better things to do" in this case being a metaphor for not worrying about knobheads with violent intentions.

The measures are unchanged from the last Euro cup. Big screen zones will be allowed (as before) with the same caveat that they must have an enforcable, searchable perimeter. That means that big screens in open marketplaces (as an example) are out, big screens on sports pitches are not. Le Monde.

I wasn't aware they had done it for the Euro. But I'm sure this didn't happened until very recently. It wouldn't be news otherwise. Where I live there's no threat but I'm sure a lot of French people will just stay at home and invite some friends instead of going out somewhere in public without having to go through a security barrier and having that threat over your heads.

Signs of our times. :/

Can you really blame the measures. Because terrorists always target large gatherings. We may disagree with it but it is a precaution to take unfortunately.

I can understand but having loved festivals as if they where my vacation. As if it were a large family gathering, I can't help but not have as much fun anymore now that the places are crawlng with cops and security. It doesn't make me feel safer. It takes away my fun and they can't really change that much when.hit goes wrong in a crowd of 10000+ people.

Now if they'd set up a massive amoukt of medic boots that would bee helpfull. Don't forget there have always been cops at events it just seems like there is a cop for every 10 persons these days.

Can you really blame the measures. Because terrorists always target large gatherings. We may disagree with it but it is a precaution to take unfortunately.

Specifically in France too.
France so clearly has a bigger issue with integration than so many other European nations.

Specifically in France too.
France so clearly has a bigger issue with integration than so many other European nations.

How is that clear? I see problems with integration in most eu countries, what sets france apart from other countries in ypur opinion?

Shot in the back? What a weird suicide!:rolleyes:

It’s Ukraine, so such incidents are not surprising at all.
Can’t say I’m sorry for Babchenko though.

Why can't you say you're sorry for babchenko? Or what do you mean with that statement?

How is that clear? I see problems with integration in most eu countries, what sets france apart from other countries in ypur opinion?

The sheer number of incidents a year in Paris. I also read a few pieces after the Paris riots a few years back about how many black french where being confined to not great areas unable to afford basic amenities.

To be fair, I don't know enough about France, its society and politics to really understand it fully, or know if those points are true/fair. So maybe I shouldn't have said 'clearly' ha, but it seems there is some fundamental issues so having extra security for a Football tournament (not well known for their relaxed, fun environments) is a huge shocker.

The sheer number of incidents a year in Paris. I also read a few pieces after the Paris riots a few years back about how many black french where being confined to not great areas unable to afford basic amenities.

To be fair, I don't know enough about France, its society and politics to really understand it fully, or know if those points are true/fair. So maybe I shouldn't have said 'clearly' ha, but it seems there is some fundamental issues so having extra security for a Football tournament (not well known for their relaxed, fun environments) is a huge shocker.

Don't know how britain works but we as belgium did the same thing for a large amount of time. That's mayve why I hesitated and wondered what you meant. But seeing your perspective, yeah there is an issue there.

I'm not blaming the measures. Where did you read that? I'm simply mentioning them as something relatively new that takes away a good part of the fun and sense of community people used to have. When you go to a stadium, it's expected to go through a security barrier (since usually stadiums and other big arenas are privately owned) but having the same thing on the public square is quite different. Of course it's needed nowadays. That's the issue.

Of course it's needed nowadays. That's the issue.

Only thanks to the incompetence of our security services and their management.
They've infiltrated everyone's lives to such an extent that they are drowning in data, all the investigative skills the police used to have where destroyed and broken down. We now have less privacy, less security and of course, less freedom.

Those measures while adequate to the danger are a result of such countries' social politics on people from their ex-colonies. Then on the police can investigate as much as they want, it won't solve the issues.

Shot in the back? What a weird suicide!:rolleyes:

It’s Ukraine, so such incidents are not surprising at all.
Can’t say I’m sorry for Babchenko though.

It's always interesting to see that the people who need to fear for their lives are those who have some sort of negative thing to say about Uncle Vladi.

Anyone want to bet that this man is also on a list?

yas
Those measures while adequate to the danger are a result of such countries' social politics on people from their ex-colonies. Then on the police can investigate as much as they want, it won't solve the issues.

What social politics do you mean? Also their ex-colonies... do you mean migrants? If you do why did you choose the ex colonies wording.

I think I'm not getting your post could you explain?

According to Sky News Benjamin Herman's gun attack in Belgium isn't being treated as a terrorist incident despite him reportedly shouting "Allahu Akhbar" at the scene of the crime. I guess he doesn't fit the profile.

From Politico, opinion on the political weather forecast in Europe.

Here are a few words you keep hearing about Europe today: Drift. Relapse. Malaise. Trouble.
If news cycles now move in eye blinks, political epochs come in quicker too. The current era — of Europe in trouble once again — is at once jarring and familiar.

...The existential threat to Europe is back on the table

https://www.politico.eu/article/european-union-future-why-losing-streak/

Interpol has always struck me as a funny organisation. I often wonder exactly how the facilitating between national police forces goes on, especially amongst those who are, uh... not adverse to arresting political prisoners just because.

According to Sky News Benjamin Herman's gun attack in Belgium isn't being treated as a terrorist incident despite him reportedly shouting "Allahu Akhbar" at the scene of the crime. I guess he doesn't fit the profile.

They aren't sure about it yet. But they suspect it is.

But they know he had contact with radicals, he was a convert, and him screaming holy snackbar should give away some clues.

And last but not least, he was a hardened criminal already.

They aren't sure about it yet. But they suspect it is.

But they know he had contact with radicals, he was a convert, and him screaming holy snackbar should give away some clues.

And last but not least, he was a hardened criminal already.

According to that link the media had made the connection;
Media reported that the suspect had been radicalised in prison

Which, could mean almost anything. Seems sensible to wait for an investigation before labelling a terrorist attack.

Current belgian reports say he was, as @Dennisch said, a well known hardened criminal who probably radicalised in prison. Our police force is currently treating this as a terrorist attack but we don't know if he had contact with isis or other well known terrorist groups.

He stole a service gun from patroning police shot the 2 officers and a bystander. After this he went in a school and took the cleaning lady hostage.

He asked her if she was muslim and if she was following the rammadan. She answered yes to both questions and.he reassuered her he wouldn't kill her. She took the oppertunity to talk into him and even told him an.other way out. He wanted to play games with the police and become a marter but after a bit of back and forth between the 2 he realised the game was over and gave himself in.

The part a out the gave himself in I am not really informed about. So forgive me if that's wrong.

Edit : he got himself shot and got killed sorry for the mistake in reporting.

Last edited:
On the footage I've seen he runs out of the building shooting towards police officers who reacted in the only way they could.

Yeah was just reading how it ended again sorry for the wrong report on the ending.

Edit: some links to a belgian newssource

https://www.hln.be/nieuws/binnenlan...-akbar-link-met-is-wordt-onderzocht~a2ea7437/

https://www.hln.be/nieuws/binnenlan...in-oog-met-schutter-benjamin-herman~a25ddc21/

Important sidenote he was on penitentiary leave while commiting these crimes. Which made the entire debate about this practice burst open again.

Latest Posts

Back