Europe - The Official Thread

Current belgian reports say he was, as @Dennisch said, a well known hardened criminal who probably radicalised in prison. Our police force is currently treating this as a terrorist attack but we don't know if he had contact with isis or other well known terrorist groups.

He stole a service gun from patroning police shot the 2 officers and a bystander. After this he went in a school and took the cleaning lady hostage.

He asked her if she was muslim and if she was following the rammadan. She answered yes to both questions and.he reassuered her he wouldn't kill her. She took the oppertunity to talk into him and even told him an.other way out. He wanted to play games with the police and become a marter but after a bit of back and forth between the 2 he realised the game was over and gave himself in.

The part a out the gave himself in I am not really informed about. So forgive me if that's wrong.

Edit : he got himself shot and got killed sorry for the mistake in reporting.
According to reports he came out of the school firing so I wouldn't exactly characterize that as giving yourself in.

According to reports he came out of the school firing so I wouldn't exactly characterize that as giving yourself in.

Dude seriously I'm pretty much done with your **** I added a disclaimer that I wasn't sure about the ending and was allready corrected by @TenEightyOne made a followup post.

You are deliberatly misrepresenting my posts. If you can't read a thread till the end don't ****ing bother to reply...

I also read a few pieces after the Paris riots a few years back about how many black french where being confined to not great areas unable to afford basic amenities.
Its not a new issue by any measure, having been a problem since the '90s if not before.

The film La Haine details some of the issues well and caused enough of an impact at realese to get a screening for the French Government of the day.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113247/

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/may/03/la-haine-film-sequel-20-years-on-france

Its not a new issue by any measure, having been a problem since the '90s if not before.

The film La Haine details some of the issues well and caused enough of an impact at realese to get a screening for the French Government of the day.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113247/

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/may/03/la-haine-film-sequel-20-years-on-france

Oh yeah I'm not suggesting it's a brand new problem, just something I only recently became aware off. But now I have another movie to check out, cheers!

Why can't you say you're sorry for babchenko? Or what do you mean with that statement?
Don't get me wrong, I don't think anyone deserves being killed for his words. But, just to know what kind of person Babchenko was, you should know about the things he posted. He expressed gladness about the plane crash near Sochi in December 2016, he mocked the victims of the subway bombing in Saint Petersburg (April 2017), the plane crash near Moscow in this February, and more.

How would you feel about a person who reacted to the Brussels bombings in a way like "they deserved it, because they voted for the current government, too bad there weren't more victims"? Probably as of a sick and disgusting person.
The guy liked dancing on the bones of other people... but it's not a reason for us to be like him. However, I'm not sad about the death of this 'critic of the Kremlin' (BBC) either.

It's always interesting to see that the people who need to fear for their lives are those who have some sort of negative thing to say about Uncle Vladi.
What about Oles Buzina, a Ukrainian journalist who spoke against another regime (the one in his own country) and was shot dead near his home in Kiev? Or a number of other Kiev opposers killed in the country? Or Kirill Vyshinskiy, who's been recently arrested for 'treason' (which was working for a Russian news agency)? They're not worth your attention, are they?

Ironically - Sheremet, Voronenkov, Skripal, and now Babchenko - they ran away from bloody Putin's regime to a safe place. But 'Kremlin's long tentacles' still got them. Meanwhile, the loudest Kremlin critics - Navalny, Sobchak, Volkov, Varlamov, Sotnik (who keeps posting about Putin personally threatening to kill him for years) and many-many others - are in Russia, alive and well.

Babchenko didn't fear for his life in Kiev - shortly after moving to Ukraine, he said he feels 'safe'.
The Ukrainian officials accused Moscow of the murder sooner than Arkadiy's body cooled down. Well, I'd be surprised if it was otherwise.

Anyone want to bet that this man is also on a list?
The RF prosecutes him for tax evasion... but of course it's politically motivated. :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, I don't think anyone deserves being killed for his words. But, just to know what kind of person Babchenko was, you should know about the things he posted. He expressed gladness about the plane crash near Sochi in December 2016, he mocked the victims of the subway bombing in Saint Petersburg (April 2017), the plane crash near Moscow in this February, and more.

I didn't agree with his comments about the performers on the plane but then I thought your comment to be expressing exactly the same kind of sentiment.

Anyway, he isn't dead.

...and is now alive. Go figure.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/05/30/arkady-babchenko-still-alive-staged-assassination/

Arkady Babchenko appeared at a Press conference in Kiev saying that the reported murder was part of sting operation to catch a hit squad.

The murder was ordered by Russian security services, the head of Ukraine's security service said Wednesday.

"According to information received by the Ukrainian security service, the killing of Russian journalist Arkady Babchenko was ordered by the Russian security services themselves," the Ukrainian agency's chief Vasyl Grytsak told a news conference.

Dude seriously I'm pretty much done with your **** I added a disclaimer that I wasn't sure about the ending and was allready corrected by @TenEightyOne made a followup post.

You are deliberatly misrepresenting my posts. If you can't read a thread till the end don't ****ing bother to reply...
No need to get bent out of shape :lol:

How would you feel about a person who reacted to the Brussels bombings in a way like "they deserved it, because they voted for the current government, too bad there weren't more victims"? Probably as of a sick and disgusting person.
The guy liked dancing on the bones of other people... but it's not a reason for us to be like him. However, I'm not sad about the death of this 'critic of the Kremlin' (BBC) either.

What about Oles Buzina, a Ukrainian journalist who spoke against another regime (the one in his own country) and was shot dead near his home in Kiev? Or a number of other Kiev opposers killed in the country? Or Kirill Vyshinskiy, who's been recently arrested for 'treason' (which was working for a Russian news agency)? They're not worth your attention, are they?

Ironically - Sheremet, Voronenkov, Skripal, and now Babchenko - they ran away from bloody Putin's regime to a safe place. But 'Kremlin's long tentacles' still got them. Meanwhile, the loudest Kremlin critics - Navalny, Sobchak, Volkov, Varlamov, Sotnik (who keeps posting about Putin personally threatening to kill him for years) and many-many others - are in Russia, alive and well.

Babchenko didn't fear for his life in Kiev - shortly after moving to Ukraine, he said he feels 'safe'.
The Ukrainian officials accused Moscow of the murder sooner than Arkadiy's body cooled down. Well, I'd be surprised if it was otherwise.

The RF prosecutes him for tax evasion... but of course it's politically motivated. :rolleyes:

Yeah ok didn't know the guy when I know that I totally understand your statement.
Doesn't even matter what the tragedy was or where it took place it's repulsive to mock the victims.

On the criticism of his death faking by The Guardian, Babchenko reacted:
The British media is questioning whether there is really more harm than good that came from what I did? Dear British press, would you please go and **** yourselves?

If you want to do something useful however, you can give me a British passport and British protection. Then you will have the right to teach me how I should save myself and my family. ****ing smart-a***s!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...sent-kill-Putin-critic-Babchenko-Ukraine.html

:lol:

P.S. It's a normal kind of language for Babchenko to write in.

Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy has been ousted in a vote of no confidence, with the opposition (left-wing) leader set to take his place. I don't know how much this will affect things in Spain, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Catalan independence movement was re-energised, not least as Rajoy was in charge when the latest push for Catalan independence was thwarted.

--

Italy remains in a state of limbo as the coalition are given more time to form a government... however I can't see how it is going to end well, or what a new election would achieve. The Italians are facing the same problem as David Cameron did prior to the UK EU referendum - he (and many others) wanted to stay in the EU, but had a (somewhat pointless) wish-list of things that should change in the way the EU itself is run - the same thing goes for Italy, with the major difference that they are also Eurozone members whereas the UK was not. The majority of Italians still want to stay in the EU and keep the Euro, but they also want the EU to change. But I can't help but feel that this is an impossible demand - why and how can a 27 member bloc change to suit one member? It can't and it won't was the answer given during the UK referendum, and I'm pretty sure that will be the answer this time too. So Italy will be stuck - it shouldn't leave the Euro (and probably can't even if it wanted to) but it wants to renegotiate the terms of its membership of the EU - in plain speaking, that means Italy want to do whatever they want whether the EU like it (or allow it) or not - this is clearly not a tenable situation for a country that is in a currency union. So Italy will face a stark choice - keep the Euro, stay in the EU and abide by the rules (and do what they're told!), or go it alone. As Brexit has already clearly demonstrated, there is no middle way - even for a country that was never in the Eurozone... so what are the chances of a Eurozone member being able to dictate terms to the rest of the bloc?

I think it is likely that Italy will start to implement policies and actions that gradually test the resolve of Brussels to lay down the law (for example introducing bonds that effectively become a parallel currency to the Euro) until it becomes impossible for them to do any more - and Italy will either face expulsion from the EU or they will vote to leave.

Last edited:
So, Italy's new coalition government is taking shape - the new Prime Minister, Giuseppe Conte, is the same guy who resigned less than two weeks ago when the coalition's choice of Finance Minister, Paolo Savona (a hard-line Euroskeptic) was vetoed by the President. Meanwhile, their new 'European Affairs minister' is, wait for it, Paolo Savona. The good news is that he hasn't immediately called for Italy to withdraw from the Eurozone... no, he's calling on Germany to withdraw from the Eurozone instead. (source)

calling on Germany to withdraw from the Eurozone instead
The cover picture for that article is spectacularly apt.

1059303923.jpg

So, Italy's new coalition government is taking shape - the new Prime Minister, Giuseppe Conte, is the same guy who resigned less than two weeks ago when the coalition's choice of Finance Minister, Paolo Savona (a hard-line Euroskeptic) was vetoed by the President. Meanwhile, their new 'European Affairs minister' is, wait for it, Paolo Savona. The good news is that he hasn't immediately called for Italy to withdraw from the Eurozone... no, he's calling on Germany to withdraw from the Eurozone instead. (source)
IRRC, Italy changes its government about as often as some folks change their underwear. So maybe this government is already in the act of toppling, soon to be replaced by a new iteration of communism or Berlusconi. Meanwhile, I look forward to a high European summer of serial acts of comedy and farce that would make Borat proud.

Last edited:
Back