Europe - The Official Thread

It was the anniversary of the infamous '77 blackout too, or so I read? I look forward to your post in the Conspiracies thread :D

Yeah! It was 42 (!!) years, almost to the exact hour. I will make no post on this in the conspiracies thread this time, although I am looking for any hint of Russian hacking. :P

This time it was a swordsman in Stuttgart. Germany is currently on somewhat of a spree when it comes to freshly imported people.

A Russian nuclear-engined hypersonic missile has exploded over a populated area with uncertain results.

A Russian nuclear-engined hypersonic missile has exploded over a populated area with uncertain results.

"Over" suggests it was in flight. For the last few days the news here has been reporting that it exploded on the ground at the test facility. Don't want to watch a Fox video to find out their take :)

Macron recently pronounced NATO "brain dead", and has opened the door for the US to pull out of Europe and for more cooperation with Russia. No matter who wins the next US election, it is unlikely NATO is going to be high on the list of things for us to focus on. How is Europe going to organize to defend itself from now on?

Macron recently pronounced NATO "brain dead", and has opened the door for the US to pull out of Europe and for more cooperation with Russia. No matter who wins the next US election, it is unlikely NATO is going to be high on the list of things for us to focus on. How is Europe going to organize to defend itself from now on?

So you think, Europe cannot defend itself without the USA?

That said, It was pulled out of context by trump. Who saw the opportunity to put down Macron. Ironically he himself has criticised NATO even more harshly. He is making a mockery of himself, a cartoon figure (elmer Fudd).

I don't know I'd call him an alien, but Mr Putin hasn't been playing very nice recently.

Putin already has a top-ranking agent within NATO and it's the thin-skinned egomanical baby who went home early today.

Macron called NATO brain dead because of Trump's idiocy, and it worked causing Trump to then defend NATO to a greater degree that he has in the past.

Well up until Trump threw a massive tantrum and buggered off home.

I don't know the provenance of Channel 4 News or the people hosting, reporting or being interviewed. Maybe you do. But I found this video to be fascinating and entertaining, leaving many interesting questions dancing in air.

I don't know the provenance of Channel 4 News

It's a publicly owned channel like the BBC but rather than receiving a licence fee it uses on-screen advertising to generate revenue. As a result its output is much more wide-ranging and innovative than the Beeb, imo.

The idea of Donald Trump calling someone two-faced is laughable.

And he wouldn't understand why anybody might think that.

What you have going on in France is an open-ended general strike. Macron's latest idea to cut back on people's pensions has brought 800,000 people into the streets, combining the yellow vests with the unions with the students. Meanwhile the rich get richer. This sort of protest is taking place in many countries around the world just now. The 2008 crash is coming home to roost with the realization that the gig economy is no cure. Progressive and neoliberal solutions don't seem to be working. Could the revolution be coming anywhere and everywhere?

What you have going on in France is an open-ended general strike. Macron's latest idea to cut back on people's pensions has brought 800,000 people into the streets, combining the yellow vests with the unions with the students. Meanwhile the rich get richer. This sort of protest is taking place in many countries around the world just now. The 2008 crash is coming home to roost with the realization that the gig economy is no cure. Progressive and neoliberal solutions don't seem to be working. Could the revolution be coming anywhere and everywhere?

Not really. The french are well known to strike or protest on various topics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_incidents_of_civil_unrest_in_France

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_vests_movement#Economic_reforms

edit: we had some of those yellow vests in my country. And a lot of them were predictably the type of people that follow nationalist agenda's.

A mass shooting in Germany, 9 shot dead after two attacks on Hanau shisha bars
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51567971
Early reports are that the attack was based far-right beliefs

https://news.sky.com/story/germany-...d-at-shisha-bar-according-to-reports-11938275
German police confirm the motives where xenophobic and that the suspect ran a xenophobic website

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/germany-shooting-hanau-dead-shooter-latest-far-right-shisha-bars-letter-a9345561.html
Seems to be confirmed that he was a far-right extremist...

Last edited:
I heard a worried report on the overnight BBC America radio that the left in Europe seems to be on the retreat and the right wing on the advance.
A later interview with Arundhati Roy painted a grim picture of the right wing takeover in India and Kashmir .

So you think, Europe cannot defend itself without the USA?

The way things are going over there it seems Europe cannot defend itself from itself. Does not seem that the Europe coalition is the most stable thing going forward.

And as far as history is concerned it seems that there have been a couple of times that the U.S. has been a big part of Europe retaining their independence. Without the past U.S. defense and assistance many of you over in Europe may be drinking Saki as your national drink and singing Hail to the Reich!

The way things are going over there it seems Europe cannot defend itself from itself. Does not seem that the Europe coalition is the most stable thing going forward.
Quite the opposite, the popularity and support for the EU among the residents of its nations are at a high.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/a...uropean-union-more-popular-don-t-kid-yourself

And as far as history is concerned it seems that there have been a couple of times that the U.S. has been a big part of Europe retaining their independence. Without the past U.S. defense and assistance many of you over in Europe may be drinking Saki as your national drink and singing Hail to the Reich!
I think the Russians may disagree quite a bit about that, given that Russia was responsible for 3/4 of all German losses.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...the-soviet-union-saved-the-world-from-hitler/

I was replying to the part of your post that claimed the US saved Europe in WW2,
Germany had pretty much kicked most of Europe's ass before they got into it hot and heavy with Russia. As you can see by highlights below Germany did not attack Russia until after Europe was little threat themselves. If it had not been for the U.S. Germany would have just continued to bomb the U.K. until they were totally beaten into submission.
German subs basically controlled the shipping and sank most of the ships bringing in war supplies that the U.K. and Europe needed.
Again it was the addition of U.S. naval forces in the Atlantic that did a lot to turn that tide of the German subs control as well.
It is always possible as well if the U.S. had not gotten involved and not only their manpower but their much needed on the battle lines equipment of war had not started turning the tide on the western front in Europe that Germany would have been able to put more focus on defeating Russia changing that outcome as well.

Actually the AXIS mistake was Japan attacking the U.S. and getting them actively in the war.If Japan had of been smart instead and attacked Russia from the east from the lands they had conquered in China while Germany engaged them from the west that Russia with the lack of goods and military weapons and hardware needed to fight a war then Russia probably would have been in trouble.

But regardless I think the time lines pretty well back up that the tide did not turn in Europe's favor until the U.S. put boots on the ground, planes in the skies and equipment on the field in WW2.
And this was in addition to while we were at the same time fighting the Japanese in the Pacific theater which also kept Japan out of the Axis war on the European front.
Germany defeated and occupied Poland (attacked in September 1939),
Denmark (April 1940),
Norway (April 1940),
Belgium (May 1940)
the Netherlands (May 1940)
Luxembourg (May 1940),
France (May 1940),
Yugoslavia (April 1941),
and Greece (April 1941).
On June 22, 1941, Adolf Hitler launched his armies eastward in a massive invasion of the Soviet Union:

January 26, 1942 - First American forces arrive in Great Britain.
April 23, 1942 - German air raids begin against cathedral cities in Britain.
August 17, 1942 - First all-American air attack in Europe.
November 8, 1942 - Operation Torch begins (U.S. invasion of North Africa).
January 27, 1943 - First bombing raid by Americans on Germany (at Wilhelmshaven).
July 9/10 - Allies land in Sicily.
June 6, 1944 - D-Day landings on the northern coast of France.
June 27, 1944 - U.S. troops liberate Cherbourg, France.
July 18, 1944 - U.S. troops reach St. Lô, France.
September 13, 1944 - U.S. troops reach the Siegfried Line in western Germany.
December 26, 1944 - Patton relieves Bastogne.
April 1, 1945 - U.S. troops encircle Germans in the Ruhr
April 29, 1945 - U.S. 7th Army liberates Dachau.
May 7, 1945 - Unconditional surrender of all German forces to Allies.

And in more modern history do you actually really not believe that American weapons, air defense systems, missiles and Air bases have not kept Russia from continuing their creep into attacking neighboring countries?

Back