European Championships 2012 Qualification Thread

• Thread starter Famine
  • 50 comments
But at least he cares.

I care, but I don't see anyone calling for me to pull on a shirt. Heskey cared at one point and he was always slated. When Cole came on at the World Cup what difference did he make? He didn't set the world alight like all the players that went and played.

What's the point of a high ranking and qualifying if it's followed by choking against a whole bunch of nobodies? Need I remind you of the last five results?

England 0-0 Montenegro (rank 40)
Switzerland 1-3 England (rank 21)
England 4-0 Bulgaria (rank 54)
England 2-1 Hungary (rank 51)
Germany 4-1 England (rank 3)
Slovenia 0-1 England (rank 19)
Algeria 0-0 England (rank 35)
England 1-1 United States (rank 18)

Look at what Germany did to a team ranked four places - four - below them, while England scrape draws with the USA, Algeria and Montenegro. And while they might tonk four past Slovakia or Bulgaria in friendlies and qualifiers, big, pressure games see them barely turn up - drawing 0-0 with Montenegro, a team that didn't even exist in 2007, is inexcusable. Of course team captain and drugs cheat Rio Ferdinand tried exactly that - to excuse it by way of the linesman missing an obvious penalty 75 minutes into a game they should have had wrapped up long since.

Just for reference, imagine what would have happened to a club manager if the above looked like this:

Liverpool 0-0 Scunthorpe United (rank 40)
Newcastle United 1-3 Liverpool (rank 21)
Liverpool 4-0 Walsall (rank 54)
Liverpool 2-1 Southampton (rank 51)
Arsenal 4-1 Liverpool (rank 3)
Hull City 0-1 Liverpool (rank 19)
Ipswich Town 0-0 Liverpool (rank 35)
Liverpool 1-1 Burnley (rank 18)

I think it's very naive to compare club management to national management. The time you spend with players is very very different and the time you get to gel them as a team is too. The gap between games is obviously different.

And the rankings, to play the BEST to at least TOP players from a nation such as Montenegro can't compare to the budgeted and throw together squad of Scunthorpe. Also you pulled the last results from totally different situations and competitions as well as having a different group of players for each.

I mean look at South Africa for example, when that finished the players can swan back to their clubs on a pay roll, for International duty... there's not much incentive... International football and management is completely different.

South Africa was an embarrassment, off the back of one of the best qualifying campaigns in England's history. None of the players involved in the group games - or at least those over 25 - should ever wear an England shirt again.

But again my point is I'd rather have got there than say watch from home like the players from all the nations that 'care'.

Anyone took a glimpse at the Dutch beating Hungary? That was a nice display of total football.

The Euro qualifing matches against Sweden where also a display of great skill. Nice to watch.
Better the the nagging Barca players anyhow 👍

Well this is as good a place as any...
Predictions for the Scotland friendly anyone?
I reckon a 4-0 humping by Brazil... :D

A bit late I know but as I post this 34 minutes have gone and England have just conceded a free-kick which managed to trickle in.

Half-time now, England have let in another goal from a free-kick but Wilshere was fouled in the box and so Lampard scored a penalty, 2-1 to Switzerland.

Last edited by a moderator:
You better set it up Norway:sly:! Wear a helmet, because we´ll run you through:lol:!

EDIT: The game in 5 min:)!

Last edited:
*tries to drum up some interest*

One game to go in each group - on Tuesday mostly - for all but a handful of already-out or already-through sides, five finals berths up for grabs (four group winners, one best group runner-up) with the remaining four through playoffs in mid-November. We've seen some surprising, high-ranked casualties - Romania, Switzerland and Slovakia all from pot 2 and Switzerland, ranked 18th in the world, are the highest ranked team definitely out - while Scotland, Estonia and Armenia can still qualify and Montenegro have made the playoffs. The usual suspects have come through relatively unscathed - Germany, Spain, Netherlands, Italy and England have all qualified so far without losing a game between them (indeed only Italy and England drew any games)...

Also, Wayne Rooney was sent off pointlessly in England's draw with Montenegro. I wonder what the odds on that were - let's ask his uncle, shall we?

Last edited:
The 2012 championship will be ours! I need to be drunk for a week, as I should have been last summer.

Romania, Switzerland and Slovakia all from pot 2 and Switzerland, ranked 18th in the world, are the highest ranked team definitely out - while Scotland, Estonia and Armenia can still qualify and Macedonia have made the playoffs.

Romania have been sub par in the past couple of years, plus Switzerland's form hasn't been great throughout the Euro 2012 qualifying stages. I think Armenia have been impressive as of late, especially in that last two qualifying matches (Armenia dented Slovakia's chances of qualifying after beating them 4-0). That being said, I reckon that the Republic of Ireland will be too difficult for them to beat, so I don't really expect Armenia to reach the play-offs (even though I would like to see that happen). Also, I'm quite surprised to see that Estonia still have a chance of reaching Euro 2012.

By the way, I'm pretty sure that Macedonia have failed to qualify for the play-offs, although both Bosnia and Montenegro have indeed reached the play-offs.

I thought "Montenegro" and typed "Macedonia".

Twice. :lol:

Bosnia, incidentally, could still qualify outright. Their final game is away to group-leaders France...

I would be quite surprised if Bosnia manage to beat France in Paris next week, plus they lost 2-0 at home to France last year. I can actually see them getting a draw though (probably 1-1), but I'll be hoping that Bosnia can win on Tuesday.

Also, Belgium may be in second place in Group A at the moment (which is rather surprising), but they will drop down to third if Germany beat them and Turkey win against Azerbaijan next week.

Lithuania will gain about 5 million extra supporters tomorrow, as Scotland needs them beat the Czech Republic. Atleast our qualification is still "in our hands", but given that we need to beat Spain in Spain, then I think it's safe to assume that we should also keep an eye on the Lithuania game too... Lithuania did already beat the Czechs in this group already, though, so there is hope... (famous last words)

Doesn't look good for Scotland with 5 minutes left on the clock, plus the Czech Republic are beating Lithuania 3-1.

Slovenia are in front against Serbia, which means that Estonia will remain 2nd if the score stays that way. Bosnia are actually beating France 1-0 right now, but I still think the end result will be 1-1. Armenia didn't reach the play-offs in the end after losing 2-1 to Ireland.

@Touring Mars, you can put down that Lithuanian flag now. Even with an extra 5 million supporters, they still failed to beat the Czechs. It would have been a mightly surprise if Scotland did beat Spain tonight, but that didn't happen sadly.

Last edited:
the Czech Republic are beating Lithuania 3-1.

@Touring Mars, you can put down that Lithuanian flag now. Even with an extra 5 million supporters, they still failed to beat the Czechs. It would have been a mightly surprise if Scotland did beat Spain tonight, but that didn't happen sadly.

:(

We asked Lithuania to do one simple thing and they screwed it up... :irked:

We asked Lithuania to do one simple thing and they screwed it up...

I honestly expected Lithuania to win that match, even if they are ranked lower than the Czechs. Instead they ended up conceding 4 goals.

Also:
Bosnia are actually beating France 1-0 right now, but I still think the end result will be 1-1.

Totally called it :sly:

I can easily see both Ireland and Croatia progressing to next years finals, but I reckon the Czech Republic/Montenegro and Bosnia/Portugal matches will be pretty close.

Last edited:
Portugal, you tried your best... it just WASN'T ENOUGH! :D:D:D

FORZA DENMARK!
Yea Portugal passed through lots of things after the 2010 World Cup...but played great after the new coach came in (3rd match of qualification) with only Denmark stopping them. We still are going to playoffs...

FORZA PORTUGAL!

Back