Eurovision Song Contest 2016 StockholmMusic 

• Thread starter Neddo
  • 37 comments
I have to say that this may be the best contest ever since 20something. Hearing the preselection songs from Estonia, Spain or Lithuania or any other preselection have at least 2 good songs. SO far, we have 5 couintries that made decision:

A dramatic, melodic, dark ballad. For some reason her voice reminds me of Bjork. Far better than last years Idol pop "I'm Alive". My ranking so far 2.

This is definetly inspired by last years Australia, which is inspired by UpTown Funk, which is then inspired by.... Not original but not bad. My ranking 5.

A lead singer by Westlife band. Cute song. But there may be a lot of Scandipop songs this year. my ranking 3.

Middle of the road. Needs polishing. in my opinion 4.

This lady already went in 2002 and finished 2nd. 1st half of the song far the best. It has 7/4 part which fits. 2nd half is repetitive but this is by far the best song chosen so far in my opinion.

Worth mentioning that Spain will choose their song on Monday and favourite is Barei with Say Yah. Another amazing songs: Denmark (Heart Shaped Hole), Hungary (Who we Are, Pioneer), Lithuania (I've Been Waiting for This Night), Moldova (Falling Stars), Estonia (SuperSonic, Play, Stories Untold). These is based on polls around the net. And I even agree with most.

Judging by songs so far chosen I think that electro, indie styles are getting a lot of attention. I wonder about Balkan. Macedonia is back with Kaliopi a rock singer. Bosnia is back with Deen (gay disco, ballads), Dalal (ballads) and Ana (violinist). Also, I miss songs like 2009 Turkey and Azerbaijan or amazing balkanian ballads like 2004 Serbia & Montenegro. By 15 March we'll have all songs revealed, altough these 5 (or even more) may change or polish their songs so I wouldn't hurry on that day.

Australia is still here but in semifinals. Also there are 43 countries so it should be fun.

I forgot to mention this. There is a guy in Romania who would give everything to win ESC, with this song

I kinda like it but not as good as his 2006 Tornero (which is one of best songs ever on this contest)

Ah yes Eurovision. I remember Apocalyptica being there back in 2006/2007 with their song Life Burns (without Lauri Ylönen's vocals).

Usually rock kind of songs don't go well but Lordi won in 2006. Altough Bosnia had way better song. 2007 was influenced a lot by them. So far in this year only Belarus has something rock-ish. I think that there won't be Eurovision like 2007 ever again. I do miss rock and traditional music at ESC.

Well, that's any trace of my interest in Eurovision gone. Avantasia gave it a go for Germany, and didn't make it.

Though I don't find it surprising that they didn't make it. Tobi's voice is definitely not for everyone, and the song itself isn't necessarily the ideal song for Eurovision anyway. But hey, I'm happy to see one of my very favourite bands at least make it to the point of being considered.

This is the song Germany has chosen.

I don't know, is this good?

@Skython rock songs are usually bad at esc, especially last few years . So far only Georgia has. There is Cyprus but it's also very poppy. Yes it's very sad that quality band like Avantasia didn't make it. But the world won't come down for them.

Also this weekend will churn out some amazing songs I hope. Latvia with Heartbeat could win it. Also, of all songs chosen only Ukrainian song could win, Jamala 1944.

Really want to see my own country, the Netherlands win and i think they are one of the bookmakers. But my favourite this year is Latvia.

It's a good song but it does seem to have a lot of different genres in there. The girl looks so much like Iggy Azalea.
The only song that stood out together with Ukraine and Georgia. But at at least Denmark failed. Also Iceland deserved final.

In many ways more entertaining and elegant show comparing to last

It's starting. I'm loving this entry thing, mainly because Swedish dance music from the past few years has pretty much been the music I listen too most. Swedish House Mafia, Avicii, Alesso and Galantis.

Definitely the best chance the UK has had in a long time to get a decent amount of points but I wonder if Brexit will affect the other countries voting.

but I wonder if Brexit will affect the other countries voting.
Not sure if I remember correctly, but as far as I know, political tensions haven't done any harm to Russia's artists ... haven't they finished second a year or two ago? I do remember that they did quite well despite all the 🤬 they stirred up in Ukraine.
And if you ask me, I'm fine with that. The ESC shouldn't add even more fuel to the political fire.

Not sure if I remember correctly, but as far as I know, political tensions haven't done any harm to Russia's artists ... haven't they finished second a year or two ago?

Yeah but the UK is not liked across the whole of Europe :lol: whereas only the Baltic states are worried about Russia.

Definitely the best chance the UK has had in a long time to get a decent amount of points but I wonder if Brexit will affect the other countries voting.

I don't think the general audience cares about Brexit, not so much that it would have an impact on how they're voting anyway.

Edit: Here's my ranking.

1. Australia
2. Italy
3. Bulgaria
4. Austria
5. Armenia
6. Sweden
7. Spain
8. Russia
9. Lithuania
10. France
11. Czech Republic
12. Netherlands
13. Ukraine
14. Croatia
15. Poland
16. Great Britain
17. Latvia
18. Cyprus
19. Malta
20. Israel
21. Azerbaijan
22. Serbia
23. Germany
24. Belgium
25. Hungary
26. Georgia

Timberlake performing a classic, man that song is still awesome all these years on. It is 14 YEARS old! man how time flys.

Innocent Smoothies firing shots

Pretty much it :lol:

I don't think the general audience cares about Brexit, not so much that it would have an impact on how they're voting anyway.

The UK has historically got low points for various political reasons, Brexit could come across that we don't like Europe and it's easier for people to not vote for someone than vote. You would be surprised how politically motivated the Eurovision audience is. It's one of the reasons why they introduced panel voting mixed with the public voting.

Last edited:
Tristan Jumbo-legs (or whoever he was) was fantastic.

Australia... shouldn't win, the song was far too professional. Otherwise tonight's mostly been one of three song types, the "traditional" Eurovision song with bland 3-chord backing and a folk tune in the break, Euro-dance or the new-style ball-churning piano ballad.

There were a few exceptions though, to my mind Sweden should win. That was a great song and a great performance.

Sweden invented the Cheese Slicer....

upload_2016-5-14_22-42-15.jpeg

"If there's room in the heart there's room in the butt!"

LOL WUT did I just hear at Eurovision??! :lol:
The tagline for the event is "Come together"

So Ukraine win, and Australia were robbed.

BTW, Love the new voting system, the tension at the end was immense.

I can't believe that song won, oh well I guess it's good for Ukraine given all the trouble they are going through.

UK got one of the worst phone votes in a while, it's a pity as it was one of the better songs we sent over the past decade.

Not going to lie, but the winning singer sounded like a bag of burning ferrets. Shocked to see Ukraine win with a performance worthy of the bottom two.

Had been hoping for a top table fight between the Netherlands, Australia, Georgia and Austria. Likely would have gone for the latter if I wasn't preoccupied during the voting stage.

Well ... at least everybody did better than Germany. :lol:

To be honest, I'm not surprised about that. Has Germany ever brought something noteworthy (=|= cringeworthy, I might add) to the ESC table? I thought so.

I wonder how Ukraine is going to fund hosting the ESC next year? From what I know, they're not bathing in tubs full of money right now ...

Back