euthanasia... (read inside)

• Thread starter jonas13
  • 19 comments

Do you think that euthanasia should be legal?? (in some countries its legal)

• Yes!

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • No!

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Dont Know!

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
Having been in a position where euthanasia could have been an option twice in the last five years (parents with terminal cancer) I believe it should be legal.

Having seen Mum go through multiple rounds of chemo and radiotherapy, and seeing what they do to cancer patients, when a person has been through all of the treatment and has nothing left in reserve and just wants it over, they should be granted that wish - these people are tired, in high levels of pain, and it is cruel on them and their families.

There are a lot of potential dangers that are associated with it (ie. to ensure it doesn't become a 'cost saving' measure), but I definitely think it should be a legal option.

In my country it is already legal in special cases.
When the patient cannot be helped anymore, and he is in horrible pain, he can make the decision him or herself to end it by a euthanasia pill.

I agree with legalizing euthanasia, only for ppl who can't be helped otherwise.

whats the point of suffering if your never going to be better, or recover...i think it should be made legal !

eu·tha·na·sia
n.
The act or practice of ending the life of an individual suffering from a terminal illness or an incurable condition, as by lethal injection or the suspension of extraordinary medical treatment.

Why continue their suffering? But on the otherhand, it's very difficult to validate the reasoning.

~LoudMusic

Personally I dont care, If these people want to end their suffering, then, they should be able to.

If I wanted to (if i was in pain) end my suffering, and i couldnt do it by any medical ways, i'm sure i could think of a few other ways to end it.

Originally posted by GCstyle

Um, you sure you know what it is? :odd:

From The Greek Word Euthanatos (Which I believe is also the name of an Anime title now)
Generally used in the US to describe the mercy killings of animals that are sick, and on rare occasions people. (Dr. Jack Kevorkian brought the term into the public counsciousness several years ago.

So what I meant (and what most people probably understood) is that some people are terminally stupid, and should be freed from this mortal coil, thus putting an end to their suffering, and ours.
:upsdown:

Originally posted by Tom McDonnell

From The Greek Word Euthanatos (Which I believe is also the name of an Anime title now)
Generally used in the US to describe the mercy killings of animals that are sick, and on rare occasions people. (Dr. Jack Kevorkian brought the term into the public counsciousness several years ago.

So what I meant (and what most people probably understood) is that some people are terminally stupid, and should be freed from this mortal coil, thus putting an end to their suffering, and ours.

Cleaning out the genepool, eh?

:D

Originally posted by Tom McDonnell

I knew what you meant Tom. I don't agree with you (entirely), but I have been known to say of a particularly stupid person "Gee, (s)he should be castrated for the benefit of the gene pool".

Right, I'm off to vote and comment on the euthanasia issue now...

Right Jonas13, here are my views on euthanasia:

I think, generally, that it should be legal, but that it should be controlled. I would like to see a system of pre-Will wishes, which would outline a person's wishes were they to become severely impaired but still alive. Part of me thinks that it's wrong to keep someone alive on unnatural support (i.e. a ventilator etc), because if the body can't support its primary functions, it's not really going to be able to do so well in the big wide world.

The principle problem is one of emotion. Nobody likes to see people die, and in this situation, it's difficult to say "End it" and walk away, as either a medic or a relative. (I fully understand your position, but the way vat_man, and I do agree with it). So relatives and doctors are going to try to do anything possible to keep the person alive, and in doing so, they will often override the patient's wishes. Which I think is wrong.

In general, people don't want to be a burden to others. I'm going to be 30 this year, and two years ago, I had a big shunt in my car. I'm lucky to be alive. If I had been horribly injured, but remained alive, my wife would have to care for me for the rest of my life, which may be a number of years, during which her life would be severely impaired. I don't want that to happen to her. If I'm not going to get better, put me down, like you would a terminally-ill pet. Is it right to put a dog out of its misery, but to keep a human alive? I don't think so.

So this is where we come back to the pre-Will idea. Everyone should make one according to their own wishes (which would obviously take into account religious beliefs etc). I would define a number of conditions, such as multiple limb loss, loss of brain function, loss of primary body functions (e.g. unsupported breathing, eating, waste extraction), which if I underwent them, I would no longer wish to live. I would do this in agreement with my wife, and parents (and children when they became sufficiently old to be able to deal with the concepts involved), so that all the cards were on the table.

And I would expect them to carry out my wishes before my death, in the same way as I would expect them to after it.

It's a tough old world out there, and without all my abilities, I wouldn't want to be in it.

On the issue of third-party euthanasia, it's a tough one to call. I think that if you set up my proposed pre-Will idea, it should remain illegal for a doctor or a relative to say "End it" in the absence of a pre-Will, unless the relative were a parent of the victim.

That's my opinion. I hope it helps jonas13, and I'm sorry if it upsets anyone.

It's wrong because it's killing. You decide it - suicide. Your family decides it - murder. But if the person is in the point of no return, ex. - braindead, then it is acceptable to end that person's suffering.

If the person has a chance to live, you must keep the person on life support.

Back