Ever been surprised by some of the cars?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Elstro
  • 99 comments
  • 11,127 views
But this is a stadard car, so no cockpit view, I can not have a car impress me w/o cockpit view, sorry! That being said, why did they no simply use the other NSX cockpit?

All RM cars are premium. Therefore it has a cockpit view.
 
The Mugen Motul Civic is suprisingly fun to drive. It's actually pretty quick out of the box and pretty nimble to boot.

Ditto

approx 250bhp -tonne, its a hoot, although my B Spec driver cant drive the blooming thing, it looks like a bumber car when hes finished


Also the Micra cup car I was very surprised
 
The E55 AMG is a pleasure to drive in third person. Oof, that V8 just sounds sexy.

Lots of smaller, slower cars surprise me with their nimbleness and ability to put a smile on my face because I know something this small and light shouldn't be going this fast.
 
Last edited:
Well the last car that surprised my was the Prius I used in the last round of seasonals, it's a gutless piece of crap, but it handles well enough.
 
I wonder what other forgotten/terrible cars there are that are worth investigating?

In GT4 I devoted copious amounts of credits to getting a competent racer out of the Fiat Panda 1000 (which I eventually did) and recently on GTP there's been a surge of love for the Honda Odyssey.
 
Mainly the Honda CR-Z surprised me at how much fun it was to drive for such a slow car. But really this is what surprised me the most...

5360132696_ccf9af8462_b.jpg
 
The Mugen Civic. Its a great little car.
 
Your Odysseys have nothing on my Renault Avantime.
 
I've been surprised by the Alfa Romeo Brera 3.2. It is a beautiful car with AWD and a V6, but it is very heavy. However, I bought it and tuned it (including shedding a lot of weight, obviously), and it drives extremely well. I wouldn't describe it as nippy, but it does corner quick and neutral, has an absolutely excellent roadholding and great traction.

Funny thing is that I once drove this very car in real life, and it was just like it is in the game (in stock form of course).
 
Pales
Your Odysseys have nothing on my Renault Avantime.


I have an avantime too and the odyssey is twice as fast, and twice as pink lol
 
If thats the case, I am going to have to pick up an Odyssey!
 
The ZR-1 RM. I had my doubts it was a world-beater, right up until I went and raced in it for Like The Wind. That skeptical look on my face was replaced with a slack jaw.
 
1973 BMW 2002 Turbo. This car with a little tuning to combat the massive throttle lift over-steer is a blast to drive. I'm still in the process of tuning it on the Top Gear track so I dont know what its like up against the big guns but I think It will be quite nice.
 
I was very surprised by the Escudo pikes peak, I thought it would be a dog of a car like it was in GT4. But with some racing soft tires I was actually able to beat my fully upgraded Minolta around Grand Valley. It's a fun car to drive too, it grips so well, and the acceleration off the line is incredible, it can easily out drag anything other than F1 cars and the X1. The only downside is that it has a bad top speed, around 185mph so it has no chance on the more open circuits like La Sarthe.
 
the Suzuki cappuccino RM fully tuned is a fun car as is the Volvo C30 take them around the RING a couple times. have one more but it escapes me right now(senior moment)
 
Last edited:
I felt a bit inspired after having driven the widely praised odyssey on the ring, so when i stumbled upon the Nissan Stagea 260rs Autechversion, which looks pretty much like the odyssey on paper, i went for it.
After having spend as much as possible on upgrades, RS tires included, it weighed in at exactly 1400 and packed 553 horses. Handles pretty much like the odyssey, tough it's slightly heavier. Without any additional tuning, i completed the ring in 7:08 on my first try (DS3) Almost 30 seconds faster than my time in the odyssey, and just as much, if not more, fun :sly:

The car at the supercar festival, overtaking...
superspeedwaydaytonaa.jpg


Check it 👍
 
Last edited:
Today has been Project day for me - I had a go at turning two sloppy FF D-sector repmobiles into reputable racecars: Citroen C5 V6 and Vauxhall Vectra V6.

The C5 makes 352bhp max and weighs in at 1252kg (iirc) minimum. I used settings based on RKM's Golf GTI (as it worked a treat for the New Beetle) with various tweaks to suit the lardy C5. Managed to take one or two events for each series, from Beginner right to Extreme. Pulling 1:27s at Deep Forest and bringing home the PD cup and European Cup multiple times. If you have a few hundred thou to spare, give this Gallic saloon a go! It's actually quite a chuckable machine.

The Vectra I remember valiantly trying to make good in GT4 but giving up, after good results with the old model in GT2. Like the C5, i worked my way up the grades, winning events across the board. 387bhp and 1220kg are the final vital stats. The VXR was panned for its tendency to understeer midway-through bends and the V6 model's understeer is hard to iron out, so I am continuing to work on it all the time. However, fully tuned, the Vectra can easily whup the Supercar festival, PD Trophy and European Cup.

I shall put the settings for each of these up soon, as I think they're worth investing time in if you're bored or want something different :)
 
Daihatsu Cuore TR-XX Avanzato R. I like the handling and response. :)
 
I'm a real fan of cars that are very fast but no-one expects them to be. There's not much that beats passing someone when they're least expecting it.

Anyway, as a change of pace the Cadillac Cien is a very surprising car. Before I go on it's not much in the corners but it's top speed is tremendous. I had a race on Le Sarthe with it today and I managed to beat some Le Mans cars and Veyrons with ease (Yes, they may have been average drivers but nevertheless). The highlight of that race would have to be passing a Veyron and Minolta at 452 km...

:)

It's practically a slightly slower Veyron, but slightly quicker in the corners.

P.S. Mine is York Green, just to put people off.
 
Mazda RX7 GT-X (FC3S)
This car has so much potential when tuned correctly. Completely love it.
 
I've had a load of fun in my fully tuned Mini Marcos GT 1.3L. It's a giant killer of a car cable of taking out british lightweights with ease on London track.

Another underpowered car I used regularly to trounce heavyweight opposition is my Skyline 2000GT-R '71. Rediculously good handling
 
Proof of my persistent nature and how quick some of the 'rubbish' cars are:

My '49 VW Beetle 1100 is the most successful of all of my cars, even the supercars with a grand total of 21 different race wins. Not bad for something that only comes off the shelf with 25bhp..
 
I've used both the RM '69 Camaro and the RM Muscle car from Dodge to surprise quite a few folks in much more modern race cars. It's fun taking a car that's a bit of a challenge compared to the lastest-greatest stuff.
 
Glanza V Turbo
With only 250bhp it seems to handle like a go kart.
It comes into its own on the ring though,giving sub 8minute times :)
 
Citroen 2CV. full modded around Deep Forest.
Alfa Romeo TZ2.. what a joy to drive
 
Well done fella , what a good thread this is, i for one would overlook those cars as being too slow to be worth driving, i guess a few engine mods and weight reductions with sticky tyres will do wonders for almost anything!

Ill be sure to have a go at some point meddling with my slow cars both standard and premium,
anyone tried the Cappucino RM yet?

Love the idea of the pimped hippy bus !

gonna stick some dubs on mine lol

Cappucino RM is a great little car, also nice for drifting around Autumn Ring Mini and Tsukuba!
 
I fully modded a Z4M, and expected it to be a lairy beast, but found it surprisingly progressive even on soft slicks. Had fun online hooning it round the ring over the weekend.

Also had a good power vs lightness race with a guy in a lotus 111.
 
RM and blown Cappucino, laps the 'ring in 7.44. with only 133hp!
 
Cars that surprised me...

The BMW 120d... yes, diesel :p
only get around 330hp, but the thing works well, i can't imagine what someone able to tune could do with it.

Honda 1300 Coupe 9 ‘70, little FWD car, that grips like it's on rails, beat a lot of newer faster cars on bendy tracks with it.
 
Back