Ever feel dirty after having to use assists for a race?

  • Thread starter Thread starter GTOne2Three
  • 40 comments
  • 2,751 views
Messages
932
Messages
Chicano3000X
Messages
Chicano3000
Feel like cheated. It was just too hard though..:nervous:
 
Yup. I turned on SRF for a couple of the 2nd set of seasonal events and a few rally special events. Initially I felt bad, but then I realized that I just don't have the time to put into a game like I did in college, so I'm OK with using it if I can't come close to beating a race after 3 or 4 attempts. On that stupid snow Sebastian Loeb challenge I tried it 5 times and couldn't come within 10 seconds of the target. I turned on SRF on a whim and beat it by 12 seconds. Cheating? I'd say so. In that case, however, I didn't care.
 
I used SRF and ASM to do Formula GT Championship, I felt very dirty, but I just don't have 4+ hours (including breaks since the force feedback on my wheel was kicking my ass and the races are tight and intense) laying around to do it over multiple times. I found that I had a hard time concentrating enough to keep the car going forward on the track for 1 race, I couldn't imagine how I'd be after 5. Thats the only A-Spec races I used them on, I still managed to lose 2 and dropped out of Suzuka due to bad tire choice and I had already clinched anyway. I will go back and try the ones I lost on their own and maybe not use the aids.
 
I used SRF on the NASCAR Nürburgring Seasonal Events as I don't know the track well enough to drive cleanly at those speeds. Other than that, I've avoided it because it does feel a bit "wrong".
 
Not in the slightest. If the game allows it, and I'm doing it in a single-player setting which doesn't affect anyone else, then I feel free to do anything and everything the game allows.
 
Last edited:
No not at all! Why should I? As long as I have my fun, everything is okay...
 
It's not cheating, so there is no reason to feel guilty about it. Do you ask the same question of everyone in real life, who bought an automatic, because it's easier to drive?

This game isn't about perfection for me. I prefer to win races, rather than get frustrated having to do them 20 times over. Some of the events are hard enough as it is.

It's funny how people feel more guilty about turning on assists, then they do about duplicating their garages, or ruining the online races for others.
 
I tend to race with only ABS set at 1, but I will turn on TCS or turn off ABS depending on the type of race. For the 'classic' races set with the 70's and later cars, I always run those without any aids or ABS. I like to keep a 'period' feel to my races :)
 
Heck no, its there for a reason. Especially if your not playing anyone else. Its different if certain restrictions apply and you bend the rules. I do what it takes for me to win. I start out with minimal aids and I adjust them as needed. Besides, no one can tell me how to play a game that I bought for myself.
 
I use SRF on rally, because I suck offroad:guilty:

Other than that, I keep ABS only on road cars. I also up the TCS somewhat when it's raining and I'm driving a twitchy car.
 
Oh yeah, forgot I turned TCS on for the FGT championship. Other than those two instances, no assists for me (unless you count ABS).
 
All the assists are realistic, except maybe SRF. So that means you should use whatever makes you faster.

The reason to turn off assists is to improve lap time and speed, because once you become a great player, you'll be faster with them off.
 
Not really... I try not to turn them on but if I feel like turning them on, that's what they are there for... that said I pretty much never do... I don't care enough to be sad over not winning everything so if I miss out on some races it doens't bother me too much.
 
The only assist I use is ABS +1, in the beginning id use racing line just so I could get a general idea of the tracks, but now its nothing but +1 ABS
 
I try to be realistic and if the car in real life allows it (ABS for example) then I may use it, but only for races / events I've been really struggling with.

I always try without first, and it's only ever TCS or ABS. The others I've never used (unless the game forced them upon you... why PD?!!!)

Older cars such as the GT40 I wont, as they weren't available then.

Simples.
 
I have to agree to some extent. I almost never use assists, apart from ABS, but during the FGT Championship and Suzuka in the Vettel Challenges I switched SRF on. I just feel that the FGT has terrible handling, yet I have never thought that about any other car, hence it has not been used since completing the championship. There were two corners that I wanted SRF on for around Suzuka, it just made me more comfortable taking them at high speed. All in all, SRF took away a small part of achieving 3 golds.

This is only my opinion, but I feel that assists are almost like giving up. Turning SRF on felt like giving up. To me it's as if to say "I can't drive this car so I'll let the computer help me". I realise that modern cars have TCS, ABS and other options as standard but you don't see Tiff Needell with traction control in a Zonda R!
 
I used SRF and ASM to do Formula GT Championship, I felt very dirty, but I just don't have 4+ hours (including breaks since the force feedback on my wheel was kicking my ass and the races are tight and intense) laying around to do it over multiple times..

Same here! But I will definitely replay all the races (by one, not the whole champ :) ) without SRF, just to be sure I can do it.
 
I use it as a kind of "screw you and all your BS" gesture if I really want to race well but hate the car I'm in, like the Top Gear Lotus challenge or my first attack on Like The Wind.
 
I don't feel dirty, i use a ds3, im allowed to if i want to! lol
 
I never used a driving aid excepted the ABS 1. But I wouldn´t care. The whole A-Spec-game is just an "overtaking opponents and get first"-thing, so there are no real races.
 
If I'm using my DS3, I have no problem with it, but I do try to avoid using them unless I need them. With my wheel I'm more reluctant, even to the point where I tried the Lamborghini Grand Tour event with no aids over and over and over (about 30 times, probably) and never even once considered putting aids on. I still haven't gone back... Bronze will do for now.

For general driving I try to leave aids off, but if I'm racing I'm more likely to use them. Even then I usually use SRF (in cars like the FGT, X2010, Elise 111R for the Top Gear challenge...) and TCS up to 5, but no more. ASM just feels too strange, as does TCS, which is why I never put it all the way up. I just don't see the point of wasting time trying to beat a completely stupid AI just because I didn't want to use aids, I mean, if you spend 30 minutes in a race then accidentally press the throttle too hard and spin on the last lap, you're never going to see those 30 minutes again. I understand the irony of that opinion coming from a gamer, but...

Oh and I never use aids online. Also I don't class ABS as an aid, I always have that on 1 unless I'm using my wheel and just feel like it. I also rarely trigger it anyway, I think, but it's nice to have the safety net.
 
I wouldn't know, because I have never used it.
 
Nope, although I admit I find I have to use them more than in GT4. I'm not great at the game, I only use a DS3 and they help me, one thing I will never do is go around bragging that i'm a really great driver as the really great drivers can play the entire game without aids while eating cornflakes. 👍
 
If I'm using my DS3, I have no problem with it, but I do try to avoid using them unless I need them. With my wheel I'm more reluctant, even to the point where I tried the Lamborghini Grand Tour event with no aids over and over and over (about 30 times, probably) and never even once considered putting aids on. I still haven't gone back... Bronze will do for now.

For general driving I try to leave aids off, but if I'm racing I'm more likely to use them. Even then I usually use SRF (in cars like the FGT, X2010, Elise 111R for the Top Gear challenge...) and TCS up to 5, but no more. ASM just feels too strange, as does TCS, which is why I never put it all the way up. I just don't see the point of wasting time trying to beat a completely stupid AI just because I didn't want to use aids, I mean, if you spend 30 minutes in a race then accidentally press the throttle too hard and spin on the last lap, you're never going to see those 30 minutes again. I understand the irony of that opinion coming from a gamer, but...

Oh and I never use aids online. Also I don't class ABS as an aid, I always have that on 1 unless I'm using my wheel and just feel like it. I also rarely trigger it anyway, I think, but it's nice to have the safety net.

I run ABS 1 all the time as well, otherwise my brakes lock if you so much as breathe on the gas pedal on my DFP. Its just unplayable.
 
I leave ABS on 1 all the time. I have never learned how brake properly without it. The only other assist I use is SRF. But I tend to toggle this one on and off depending on the car I am using. I tend to give a race a try without it and see how I do. If I can't control the car I will just quit the race and turn it on. But then I usually win by huge margin and move on. But I find that I am using it less now that I switch between a DS3 and an HKS racing controller and don't use my DFP so much anymore.
 
I sleep with a friend's girlfriend and i feel nothing, but when i use assists in GT i feel dirty.





ps. joke, no, i dont feel nothing
 
Back