Ever feel dirty after having to use assists for a race?

  • Thread starter Thread starter GTOne2Three
  • 40 comments
  • 2,751 views
I intended to try to complete the game without the aids (except ABS 1) just for my own satisfaction. No criticism of others who use them, I just enjoy the game more without them.

But I have caved in and switched on SRF for the Vettel challenges to try to get the golds as I was miles off without it. Not sure if dirty is the right word but it was a grudging decision after many frustrating failures. Will be worth it if the golds come though.
 
Yup. I turned on SRF for a couple of the 2nd set of seasonal events and a few rally special events. Initially I felt bad, but then I realized that I just don't have the time to put into a game like I did in college, so I'm OK with using it if I can't come close to beating a race after 3 or 4 attempts. On that stupid snow Sebastian Loeb challenge I tried it 5 times and couldn't come within 10 seconds of the target. I turned on SRF on a whim and beat it by 12 seconds. Cheating? I'd say so. In that case, however, I didn't care.

My sentiments exactly. When I first got the game I was playing it from cockpit view with all assists turned off. Great challenge, but my Uni days are well and truly behind me now so I figure it's better to spend what little GT5 time I do have on 20 different races, rather than the same race 20 times. Now I leave the assists to their default settings and immediately switch to the external/chase camera (the way I used to play all previous GT titles growing up) and I'm having a blast!
 
I have never used any aids nor will i ever. Especially skid recovery, as that is the most "cheat". If you don't have the skills or time/interest to get the skills go for it, use whatever you want and don't feel bad about it :) but for me, i have the time and the interest, so i refuse to use aids as i feel that the win was not due to my skill, but due to the aids.
 
I seriously don't think that driving from cockpit view is any relevant to keeping realism. The way You 'see the road' in a REAL car is FAR WAY different than in the game. It would be relevant if You had an ultra wide-screen, because in real life You can see for example past the car pillars just by tilting your head while in here its not possible. You also have wider view on the bonnet, sometimes you see it. You also have better feeling where the wheels are. Cockpit views can be fun for me but only for a short time, but they are a real pain in the butt when it comes to real experience in my opinion.
 
Well the A.I seems to use all of the assists, so if you are a "cheat" then you can now feel better by knowing the A.I is a "cheat" too.
 
DS3 and no traction control, is more or less that... no traction or control!
Iv absolute respect for anyone using a DS3 with no aids, kudos to them, but the throttle mapping for the triggers with a DS3 is too much of a nightmare for me and iv no shame using TC & ABS set at 1.
 
Usually if on time trials or tight races, I turn ABS on to 1, but otherwise, I got no assists on.
 
Well in slower cars ABS off can really help to improve lap times. I.E. in the CR-Z special event the car with abs off was a lot faster. You could just turn into the low-speed 90 degree corner after the high speed straight by locking the wheels and shifting weight of the car to turn it into the direction of the corner far before it appearing
 
Well in slower cars ABS off can really help to improve lap times. I.E. in the CR-Z special event the car with abs off was a lot faster. You could just turn into the low-speed 90 degree corner after the high speed straight by locking the wheels and shifting weight of the car to turn it into the direction of the corner far before it appearing

When it comes to DS3, ABS off is like having no steering wheel in the car at all.

At least for me it is.
 
When it comes to DS3, ABS off is like having no steering wheel in the car at all.

At least for me it is.



I fully agree. Before I got my G25 i was using DS3 during first 15 levels in GT5 and all the time in Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
 
Feel like cheated. It was just too hard though..:nervous:

Umm, you're playing a video game, it's all a assist. Maybe you should feel like you cheated because you're running laps on a video game instead of in a real car on a real track.

I could live a million years and I'll never get this obsession people have with what assists they use in a video game. You listen to some of these assists elitists talking you'd think they were actually strapped into a real cockpit.

So no, even though I don't use them on this game, I've never, ever, ever felt any kind of dirtyness or that I had cheated for using them on other games. Again people, it's a video game.
 
Back