Evolution Studios closed by Sony

• Thread starter TonyJZX
  • 316 comments
Unfortunately Driveclub VR was still a technical demonstration. No guarantee of a "game release" there.
They were already running thin since last year, and I suppose the post-release support wasn't enough to keep them floating.

Sucks though because it's clear they had incredibly skilled workers.
All is left to hope is that they get absorbed by other studios.

Quite prophetic...

driveclub finish line.jpg

I get the feeling our little fetish (ie, driving games slash sims) is a niche thing that isnt as strong at driving console sales as we think. Its reflected in pricing. Was Driveclub ever a big time hit 'em in the face $60 title?

So you're either Polyphony who sells 10 million copies so who cares, or Microsoft who charge $100 for a title with all the DLC.

Seems to be no room for a lower cost title, granted the release of DriveClub was problematic. Sony's strategies makes me question why I bought the PS4.

To quote the Video Game Nerd...

"WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!!"

Seriously Sony?? Why the absolute **** would you shut down one of your best studios for no reason, this is Studio Liverpool all over again.

What an unfortunate turn of events, Driveclub has provided me with an exceptional amount of entertainment.

There were some remarkably talented people at Evolution Studios, I wish them all the best for the future.

Way to undermine one of your biggest horses in the VR race, Sony. And good to see that excellent support and hard work still pays off at Sony. There has been no other game I can think of with better post launch support, updates and DLC. To honor that with closing the studio is just dispicable. And no, I dont care whether it is the right decision from a soulless corporate robot viewpoint.

🤬 off, Sony.

Ok so DriveClub didn't have the greatest launch ever, which did hurt sales, but they more than made up for that with the inclusion of some spectacular DLC and people did actually buy it.

It's interesting that they're giving exactly the same reason for closing Evo as they did Psygnosis ("focus on studios with new and exciting products"), and makes me wonder if, with their financial difficulties, they're slowly falling out of love with the video games industry even though it wasn't video games that got them into a financial mess...

Unfortunately, combined with the translation from the French preview regarding 'limited' content signs are starting to point toward Driveclub VR being a glorified VR tech demo.

I dont think anyone has to worry about Sony's commitment to the PS4. They are #1 after all and PSVR is literally a billion dollar investment. Last years E3 shows just how strong they are.

Someone should write a book on how not to release a game because its a cautionary tale on how a title can sink a company.

I would have figured if they wanted to close down the studio they would have done it after the game's disaster of a launch, or when the PS+ version became such a joke. Not after two years of trying to win back the community of players or after 6 months of using their game as being the main showcase title for the $400 console peripheral that they are trying to get people to buy.

Latest Posts

Back